ADVERTISEMENT

We’ve gone from “he might leave” to “he’s looking around but Michigan can keep him”

This tweet is an excellent example of an agent pushing a story trying to get the other party to fall in line.

And, you know what, I don’t blame Warde for playing the game of chicken here.

This act is getting tired and is not winning anyone goodwill from the fanbase and program alike.

To top it all off, he’s not traveling to Denver, he’s interviewing VIRTUALLY. It’s not like he’s interviewing for a 9-5 here, if the Broncos were truly interested, they’d have him out to the facilities.

This is ridiculous and it truly is a tired act.

3 - Stars in the Harbaugh Era

3 stars in the Harbaugh Era:

Khaleke Hudson, Josh Uche, Kwitty Paye, Andrew Stueber, Ronnie Bell, Hassan Haskins, Schoonmaker, DJ Turner, Mike Saintistill, Mike Morris, Kris Jenkins, Hill-Green, Andrel, Rod Moore, Jaylen Harrell, RJ Moten, Roman Wilson, Ojabo, Mike Barrett, Vincent Gray, Taylor Upshaw, Ryan Hayes, Michael Dwumfor, Josh Mettellus, Sean McKeon, Chris Evans, Grant Perry, John Runyan Jr, Kenneth Grant, Amorion Walker

That’s a B1G championship team right there.

What I know. What I don’t know.

Disclaimer: Read and believe, or not, at your own discretion. I happen to have good information on both sides of this (principally the UM side). No first-hand details here but what I’ve been told and what I believe from people in a position to know. You don’t need to believe me, but I think this context may help with the larger picture of that’s happening.

I know that UM and Jim had an agreement in principle to a new contract at least since the B1G championship game - possibly even the week before.

I don’t know the detailed specifics of that contract but I understand it would’ve made put his base salary at or near the two highest paid in the B1G (Tucker, Day) with additional bonus opportunities. For the sake of comparison, their base salaries are $9.5mm a year and Jim‘s current base is $7mm plus he’s earned at least $2mm more in performance bonuses.

I know that *something* happened to cause one side or the other not to agree to the deal. It was strongly implied to me that UM pressed pause to gain more information when it learned of the impending Level I violation against Jim.

I don’t know why both sides did not or could not sit down to restart things sooner.

I do know that toward the end of last week, UM believed it had a deal at “improved” salary + bonus numbers from the December one. It was also strongly implied to me that the only hold up was the size and duration of the buyout. (Shoutout to @Josh Henschke who had this info from me and waited to confirm rather than passing on what had only been implied; he’s truly the best in the business and I hope everyone appreciates how hard he hustles to get you good, verifiable info).

I don’t know why Jim and his agent are doing this NFL nonsense. A virtual interview for a job that’s clearly going to Sean Payton? Begging the Panthers to give him an interview/convo. Is it leverage on UM? Is Jim looking for that unicorn NFL offer? Who knows.

I do believe that this perennial January saga won’t end unless/until Jim gets an NFL job or signs a poison pill buyout with UM.

Video Good Afternoon, Michigan Football; Corum coming back

Breakdown
Aidan Huntchinson audio 00:00-:20
Lions win on SNF :21-3:23
Corum's decision 3:24-11:45
Harbaugh's weekend 11:46-47:20
Luke Schoomaker 47:21-50:58
Feedback: Watching tonight, TCU loss, Harbaugh staying or going & Corum staying healthy 50:59-1:03:40
Rich Eisen show with Blake Corum 103:41-107:06
Blake's announcement on Eisen show 107:07-108:57
Corum coming back reaction 108:58-135:29
Login to view embedded media
Reactions: alibaba

No Matter What Happens

All of this nonsense nfl stuff will more than likely ruin what could have been a very good 2024 class if Jim comes back anyways. Now, assuming NIL would be fixed/improved for this class, that might salvage it. But until that receives a solution, things won’t be great for recruiting. Bad 2023 class followed up by, with what I am predicting, another bad class. All of this after back to back playoff appearances... I think only Michigan could pull that off because they are always their own worst enemy.

Insider HQH Plus: What we know regarding Blake Corum's pending decision

I want to preface this post with that it will include a lot of opinions. Before you get upset, these opinions are well-sourced and they are multiple. From those with connections inside Schembechler and elsewhere, this is everything I've gathered since the news broke that Corum is planning to announce his decision today at 2 p.m. on The Rich Eisen Show.

It is my BEST GUESS that Corum will announce his return to Michigan on the show. There has been some increasing optimism in recent weeks that he could return and those I speak with BELIEVE he will be back. I say there is a belief because the opinion is strong with multiple people I speak with but his ultimate decision hasn't made its rounds inside the building just yet and there's probably a good reason for that.

This is where NIL shows the good side of things. If he does decide to stay, you can expect that he is going to be taken care of from a NIL standpoint with a deal that is far more valuable in Ann Arbor than it would be to test the draft waters.

I also think he returns due to the fact that he's announcing on Eisen's show, the biggest U-M fan on national television. I find it hard to see a scenario where he goes on that show to deliver bad news to not only Eisen but to the U-M fanbase. Of course, I could be completely off base and that's fine, the optics would come off as strange.

Here's what I THINK will happen. Corum will go on the show to announce he is returning to the program to generate some excitement after this whole Harbaugh debacle has rocked the boat with morale amongst the fanbase. He will use his platform to help promote Valiant's 'One More Year Fund'. He will talk about the importance of it and encourage others to try and persuade the other potential draft prospects to return next season.

Again, this isn't sourced, just thinking about what makes the most sense with this announcement on national television.

This is my long-winded post to spell out what I am hearing as well as what I think is going to happen. I can't speak with certainty until I hear definitive word of what's going to happen one way or the other.

We'll all find out what he plans to do shortly.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT