ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at our overloaded EDGE/SAM position, but very thin 3T/5T....

... I have been looking for candidates to move down from EDGE to play with a hand down.

Right now we have 13 EDGE/SAM - for only 2 positions - for 2023 but only 7 bodies for the 3 hand-down positions.

Here's the depth chart as I see it right now:

3T: Graham (Bahr)
NT: Grant (Iwunnah or Pierce)
5T: Jenkins (Benny)
SAM/EDGE: Harrell and Okie (Pollard, McLaurin, Hewlett, Ishmail)
EDGE: Stewart or McGregor or Moore (Guy, Bennett, Etta, Koumba)

Those 3 down spots are scary thin, and get thinner if Jenkins reverses course and decides to go pro. Iwunnah was a raw flyer recruit who hasn't been able to get on the field at all in two years, and Bahr and Pierce are both true freshmen. Leaves 4 guys who you're pretty sure are viable options, 3 if Jenkins leaves.

McGregor has the frame to bulk up, but as un-scientific as this is... he just "looks" like a standup EDGE to me. And he has started to make some progress and impact. His length is effective on the EDGE.

The guy I'm targeting for a move down, then, is Derrick Moore. He was listed on Michigan's website at 6'3"/279 as a true freshman, which means he's one good summer with Herbert and a couple of orders from Mr. Spot's away from 290. That's a bit thicker than your traditional standup EDGE. I think he'd comfortably be on the 2-deep as Jenkins' backup/rotation guy if he could adjust to playing with a hand down, and he and Benny could compete for Jenkins' spot should he go pro.

This is Fun. I am sure not hurting recruiting at all ! From ESPN :

• After talking to several industry sources this week, the sentiment I hear a lot is this: If Payton says no to Denver, then Harbaugh will be the lead candidate. Still much to play out, with Denver waiting to talk to Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, 49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans and others. But I've continued to hear that Denver has done a lot of research on Harbaugh, talking to people who have worked with him in the past to gauge his coaching style. One official from a team searching for a head coach believes Harbaugh wants the Colts job. No word yet on whether Harbaugh plans to speak with Indy brass, but the connection is obvious for the former Colts quarterback.

I really do not care whose fault it is. Warde. Harbaugh. Ono. What ever. But could someone wrap this up ????? One way or another ??? Thank you

Video Good Afternoon, Michigan Football; Scarcelli on UM's contract negotiations with Harbaugh

Breakdown
Blake Corum 00:00-:50
Scarcelli on Corum :51-4:50
On Harbaugh contract negotiations 4:51-9:50
On breaking his work 9:51-10:50
Harbaugh & Manuel relationship 10:51-16:15
Buyout 16:16-24:53
TCU & UGA 24:54-27:39
Michigan next year 27:40-33:45
Blocking coaching clinic video 33:46-44:28
Why couldn't UM dominate TCU's defensive line 44:29-45:38
Cole Cabana video 45:39-48:33
Brock Bowers 48:34-54:25
Feedback: UM's assistants, NCAA & Harbaugh prediction 54:26-103:56
Login to view embedded media

Just a thought....

Lets be honest here.....Regardless of what Jim says, or statement he makes......its going to be ripped apart by everyone here and the media.......He could sign a blood oath and it would turn to "Should they fire him" ......Truth is NO ONE knows what's going on. Lets get some positivity going for once and just stay tuned? Maybe focus on the good and not just run with the media and all the bad? Dang its exhausting to only see all the negative this and negative that smh

OT. Stock market

I understand that NO ONE can consistently predict the stock market direction.

That said, there are many smart people on this board who are connected to personal finance.

What are people hearing about the stock market. Is a bounce back anywhere near? A couple years of nothing? Thanks for any opinions.
Reactions: grayling1

Don’t have much to add about the interview today

Really, I don’t have anything noteworthy to add. My opinion here, this stuff is tiresome and genuinely annoying to cover. This isn’t being “unpredictable,” it’s just holding a program hostage and making it look bad in the process. He has every right to explore options but this dog and pony show we’re out through every year is exhausting.

Until I hear otherwise, people are saying he is expected to stay. We’ll see if that turns out to be true.

What I do know is that Warde is prepared with a list of names and some (I didn’t get names) surprising candidates had people reach out “in case Jim leaves.”

I’m just as exhausted as you. I think a poison pill buyout is the only way this makes it all go away permanently.

Insider There is overwhelming support…

For Sherrone Moore to become the next coach at Michigan IF Jim Harbaugh leaves.

What I know is that the players have overwhelmingly stated support for Sherrone to be the next head coach. They have even discussed it privately amongst themselves the past few days.

Obviously, the desire is for Harbaugh to stay but the players have a guy they’re rallying behind.

For those advocating moving on from Harbaugh, question

How do you propose we do that?

Sure, if he gets a NFL job, problem solved.

But what if he doesn't? Do you propose letting him go now without a job offer in hand?

if you do that, and he doesn't get a NFL offer, he's going to end up roaming a SEC or B1G sideline in 2024. Knowing Jim's personality, my guess is he will hunt for a B1G job as an opportunity to show UM that it made a mistake.

Are we good letting him go prematurely even if the end result is Jim Harbaugh coaching UCLA for the next ten years after he couldn't get a NFL job?

I hate this yearly thing to, but there is a certain point coming (it may already be here) where he's too old and been out of the NFL for too long to be a serious candidate. And if that happens sooner than we (or Jim) thinks, Jim could be coaching at the high level in college for another ten years. I'd hate for that to be at another school

Rereading the "5-Star QB Waits for Things to Settle" article...

Another huge repercussion IF Harbaugh goes to the NFL is that he will most certainly take Weiss with him.

This will likely lead to Jadyn Davis going elsewhere and Michigan will have completely whiffed on another QB while severing any relationships made with younger QB recruits.

With the exception of JJ, Harbaugh as "The Quarterback Whisperer" has been one of the biggest bogus storylines during his tenure here and now he blows up the bridge on the way out of town.

Would be quite a bit of damage done after the return of the Prodigal Son.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT