ADVERTISEMENT

Insider To follow up with our “what we’re hearing” piece…

After word has come out that Harbaugh has met with members of the team to let them know his intentions to stay, the nervousness and panic of when this stuff first came out has calmed down a little bit.

I’m getting a lot of “yeah I think this is crap” responses in regards to the NFL talk from those who I didn’t source in the piece.

Not saying a bullet has been dodged or crisis averted, it’s basically coming down to Jim Harbaugh’s word versus sources who suggest he’s open to listening. Do I think he goes against his word and screws a lot of people over? No, I don’t.

I’ll continue to dig some more.

Insider HQH Plus 1/4: Checking the temperature with player parents

We have been asking around as of late to get a temperature check from the player parents regarding the Jim Harbaugh situation.

The overall sense we’ve gotten seems to be calm and not a lot of panic. There is trust in the coaches, Harbaugh included, and the expectation is to ride it out no matter which way things go.

After we spoke to one parent of a player that was a significant contributor in 2022, we were able to glean quite a bit of where things stand.

To protect sources and to not sell anybody out, below is a synopsis of the conversation.

- Harbaugh told everyone that needed to know that he would be coaching the team next season. His straight-forward approach with the parents lends him credence to being a man of his word.
- Reiterated that Harbaugh shouldn’t have to come out and explain his intentions after every report that surfaces.
- Believes these kind of reports is to create turmoil within the program, reiterates that he will tell his players the truth and of his intentions.
- He will be backed whether he coaches at Michigan or elsewhere.

Again, not much panic from anyone at this moment. These guys are seasoned vets to the yearly Harbaugh news cycle at this point.

More when I have it.

Okay Green Wave beats down Trojans

Wow - Tulane beating USC by one point...Tulane?

Green Wave had four rushing TDs - and 205 yards from one back..QB was only 8-17 passing but 2 TDs...Caleb Williams had 462 Yards passing and 5 TDs and couldn't hold off Tulane.

Wild - winning score with 9 seconds left to win by one.

Recruiting The Wolverine State: Top 2024 Prospects In Michigan

The state of Michigan is full of talent in the class of 2024.

We take a look at the top 10 prospects in the state, and where they currently stand in their recruitment ⬇️

Way too early depth chart for Michigan 2023 offense

Depth chart and roster sickos, I am here. NFL decisions, potential transfer attrition, lots will change between now and January. I make some guesses on some of those decisions, but this roster is loaded, and it is fun to handicap the current depth chart.

Insider Will have another update today…

Again, nothing I have heard has made me remotely nervous yet.

How I was presented the NFL talk is someone was asked (and I’m paraphrasing here), “Hey, if Harbaugh gets an offer where he has control, has a ridiculous salary, etc. Would he listen?” The answer is obviously yes because that’s a godfather offer. Now you can report someone in his circle said he’d listen if he got an offer. A bit of a baited question, I’d say.

That’s not saying he is getting said offer, or there’s anything other than a cursory look at Harbaugh, but it all goes back to the IF.

“IF Harbaugh gets offered, he’d listen.” Well, let’s see if it happens. There’s no guarantee said offer is even going to happen and I’ve heard zero evidence it’s going to yet. I can’t rule it out completely but no one really can.

Hoping to get a little bit more later on today to provide an update.

Stay tuned.

Feeling Sorry For Scott Frost?

I hope no one is feeling sorry for Scott Frost. Remember in 1997 he was the Nebraska QB who along with his mother made repeated TV appearances pressuring local poll voters to name Nebraska as national champion, not Michigan. It worked—after many weeks of voting Michigan #1, two Omaha voters flipped their votes, resulting in Nebraska being named national champion in one poll and Michigan in the other.

Scott went to to coach UCF to an undefeated season in 2017. When they weren’t selected for the playoffs, Frost claimed the national championship. The sign “1997 National Champions” remains on the press box of the UCF stadium today.

Frost couldn’t fake it as Nebraska coach and was fired before the end of the 2021 season. There were many reports that Scott didn’t bother to coach Nebraska his last few weeks, golfing in the afternoon and drinking and carousing at night. Nebraska had to pay him the largest buyout in college football history, $16.4 million, just to get rid of him halfway thru the season.

Now just this week Frost and his wife bought a $5.4 million mansion in the ritziest part of Phoenix—the house with five bedrooms and 5 ½ bathrooms has views of Camelback Mountain, a media room, exercise room, massive closet in the primary suite and a butler’s pantry.

Anyone feeling sorry for Frost hasn’t got their head screwed on straight. I didn’t like him in 1997 or any time since. It’s a disgrace that he’s been able to become such a very wealthy man by bamboozling people for decades.

Insider Henschke's Quick Hitters 1/3: What we're hearing on the latest round of Jim Harbaugh talk

As the old adage goes...

"If Ifs and Buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." Of course, it's no longer December and Christmas has since passed us by, but the saying holds true here.

IF Jim Harbaugh were offered by an NFL team
Jim Harbaugh MIGHT be interested
Jim Harbaugh POSSIBLY could return to the NFL

The one constant in this? No one is speaking in certainties because no one truly knows what Jim Harbaugh wants to do. And that goes for me, too. I won't be sitting here saying which way this thing goes until I get a definitive word one way or the other. What I can do is share what I know and what I've heard.

We are aware that Harbaugh has spoken to the Carolina Panthers' owner about the head coaching vacancy. Without knowing the context of said conversation, it was NOT an interview and Harbaugh has not given any indication to anyone within his circle that he's open to it.

So where has the context of "if offered" come from sources close to him? I dug a little deeper and was able to hear something intriguing that I haven't been able to fully verify but have heard from more than one person. I think this sheds some light on where some of this talk is coming from.

This source was asked a hypothetical question: If Harbaugh were to be offered full control of a franchise, with a ridiculous salary and a long-term deal, would he be interested in the deal?

That answer was yes. Which, duh. Who wouldn't at least consider a hefty offer like that?

Now, you can run with a story with "sources close to Harbaugh believe he would consider an offer from the NFL if offered." If it doesn't come to fruition, you can talk yourself out of it by saying it was always a possibility and not a definite thing. Bit of a baited question.

Again, I can't verify this as 100% fact but when you hear a similar person from more than one person who isn't connected in any way, it starts to make you think.

As for what we're hearing, I had a phone conversation with someone close to Harbaugh today who reiterated that the expectation was for Harbaugh to stay in Michigan. While he couldn't rule out the NFL completely, no one truly can until Harbaugh says so, whether that's publicly or to these franchises directly. Another source referred to the chatter on social media as a "Twitter death spiral."

Another conversation included the, "He said he's staying three weeks ago, what more do people need?" viewpoint, and that's from a very strong source.

At this point, those in the know are falling back on the fact that Harbaugh is a man of his word line. This is a factual statement, he hasn't lied or led anyone astray. However, it's not something to lean on with absolute zero doubts that he is staying at Michigan. Encouraging, yes.

The fact is, no one truly knows what Harbaugh is going to do. His coming out and saying he plans to coach Michigan in 2023 and that he was done with the NFL last year is a good start.

At this point, there is no tangible evidence that Harbaugh is for sure heading to the NFL outside of public opinion. You can also make the argument there isn't anything tangible to suggest he's saying recently, although the evidence of his public statement provides a counterpoint that holds significant weight if past evidence continues to hold true and I am of the belief that it is.

NFL franchises reaching out to talk to him to have conversations have happened but the contents of the conversations remain a mystery.

Until those I trust become nervous, that's when I will take stock of it.

For now, saying that "I don't know what's going to happen" is going to be my line. However, I will add on to that by saying: "I don't know what's going to happen, however, people I speak with believe he will stay at Michigan."

For now, that's good enough for me.

More when I have it.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT