ADVERTISEMENT

The Lowdown on Motown Sports Podcast-The Rivalry Week Edition

Guys, sharing this here for the Michigan content. Lot's of talk about why Michigan or Michigan State can win the football game.

Video Good Afternoon, Michigan Football; Mel Tucker, strange rivalry bets & voting madness

Breakdown
Jim Harbaugh audio 00:00-:20
Waiting for kickoff :21-2:04
Mel Tucker 2:05-9:11
Spartans season so far 9:12-22:19
More on Tucker, MSU rivalry, winning by double digits 22:20-34-38
Betting on MSU as a UM fan 34:39-43:43
Tucker & recruiting 43:44-47:43
Big Gretch vs Santa 47:44-49:06
Heather Dinich 49:07-59:54
Feedback on rooting for MSU except this week, working with MSU fans, podcasts over radio 59:55-1:12:53
Login to view embedded media

OT: How often do you order from DoorDash?

Before 2020, I almost never had any food order delivered.

I'd always drove to pick it up.

When I worked late, I'd go on adventures to places 20-30 minutes out of my way to pick up food.

After the shutdowns in 2020, I used DoorDash a lot. And into 2021, just a tad less.

And there are a lot of options out of the way I wouldn't consider now that their range goes over 6 miles.

2022, I probably only do it once or twice a month.

I had a few months where I didn't use it at all.
Reactions: Hank2623

Will MSU bring the house to try and rattle

Curious with the past success MSU has had at times with dialing up run blitzes or bringing the house on obvious pass plays. Do you think UM will be ready for it. Do you think McCarthy will be able to make them pay? This is a very good offensive line but even they can be overwhelmed. If MSU lines up in press coverage and gets away with grabbing or holding up our WRs they could have some success throwing off our timing. Our WRs need to have a great game and get loose. I've been watching this showdowns for 60 years and have seen the craziest things go wrong that's the only reason I have these concerns. What are you expecting MSU will do?

Since it's a big rivalry week...

It's a perfect time to spy on your rival! I am going to push this feature that Rivals released earlier this year, in case you didn't see it.

Rivals’ All-Access Pass is here! Now, instead of just spying on individual site forums, you can upgrade your annual or monthly subscription to include read-only access to every forum in the Rivals Network. There is also now an option to add a bundle of read-only access to 3 sites for a discounted price.

Want to see what your opponents are saying ahead of a match-up with your school? Want to gauge the confidence of a rival suitor for one of your team’s top recruiting targets? The All-Access Pass gives you the ability to Spy on your Rivals and see what the other side is saying.

The All-Access Pass is available as an add-on to your current subscription for $45 for annual subscribers or $8 for monthly subscribers. The 3-site bundle is available as an add-on for $30 for annual or $4 for monthly subscribers. The All-Access Pass will grow to include other new features that Rivals will be releasing in the future; Read-Only Forum access is just the beginning!

Existing subscribers can add the All-Access Pass or 3-Site Bundle in your account profile, under the Subscriptions tab: https://michigan.rivals.com/users/subscriptions

Taking a shot at a too-early 2-deep for next season...

QB: JJ McCarthy Jr (Davis Warren RS So)
RB: Donovan Edwards Jr (CJ Stokes So)
TE: Erick All 5th and Colston Loveland So (Matt Hibner RS Jr and Max Bredeson RS So)
WR: Roman Wilson Sr (Amorion Walker RS Fr)
WR: Andrel Anthony Jr (Darrius Clemons RS Fr)
SL: AJ Henning Sr (Tyler Morris RS Fr)
LT: Karsen Barnhart 5th (Jeff Persi RS Jr)
LG: Gio El-Hadi RS So
C: Greg Crippen RS So or Reece Atteberry RS Jr
RG: Zak Zinter Sr
RT: Trente Jones 5th (Andrew Gentry RS Fr)

*If Atteberry doesn't win the C or LG job, then he's surely the top backup for all 3 interior guys, with the inside track on inheriting Zinter's RG job in 2024.
*Henning has seen his WR snaps give way to Anthony of late, and the 2022's are all going to be in the mix. I could envision a scenario where Henning is elsewhere next season, Clemons is starting and Wilson is operating out of the slot.

EDGE: Derrick Moore So (Micah Pollard So or whoever is left of McGregor, Guy, Bennett, McLaurin)
NT: Mason Graham So (Kenneth Grant So)
3T: Kris Jenkins RS Jr (Rayshaun Benny RS So)
EDGE: Eyabi Okie 6th and Jaylen Harrell Sr
ILB: Junior Colson Jr (Kalel Mullings RS Jr or Deuce Spurlock RS Fr)
ILB: Nikhai Hill-Green RS Jr or Jimmy Rolder So
CB: Will Johnson So (Myles Pollard RS Fr or Amorion Walker RS Fr)
CB: Ja'Den McBurrows RS So (Kody Jones RS Fr)
NB: Zeke Berry RS Fr or Damani Dent RS Fr
S: Makari Paige Sr (Keon Sabb RS Fr or Quinten Johnson RS Jr)
S: Rod Moore Jr (Caden Kolesar 5th)

*Secondary depth is a major concern next season, and I would not be at all surprised if we got some portal help - perhaps someone who could step in immediately at nickel and buy the 2022's another year before we need them to play a ton.
*Keon Sabb is a wildcard. He seems to be a man without a position right now and isn't getting on the field at all, not even on special teams. Is he safety? Will he grow in a linebacker? Will he be elsewhere?

Deeper dive on the D Line 7 sacks vs Indy

A few weeks ago, people were talking about an inability of the line to create pressure. Last week with 4 sacks and this week with 7, they seem to have some of that figured out. Some of it is scheme. Some of it is players coming into their own. Here's a breakdown of the 7 sacks against Indy and really speaks to the different ways they're getting to the QB along with how many contributors they have.

1st sack 6:14 1st - Barrett on a LB blitz in the A gap, shows right side and goes left. Total MA by Indiana and Barrett is unblocked. This is about as easy as it gets.

2nd sack :42 1st - Harrell from R EDGE. Initially stands up the LT and gains good inside leverage and pulls himself by. QB tries to escape but Harrell is at full speed. Absolutely ridiculous unsportsmanlike call here on the celebration to give a 1st down on what would've been 3rd and a mile.

3rd sack :27 2nd - Morris from R EDGE. Does a great job getting upfield and maintaining outside leverage before redirecting underneath and getting a big hit on QB. This and the previous one were great one on one wins with technique.

4th sack 13:38 3rd - Colson on a C gap blitz. Interesting play here. Colson is obviously blitzing from the defensive alignment but the protection is shifted to the right and the C doubles with the LG on Mazi. Morris beats the LT across is face and if Colson doesn't get this sack, he likely will. As is, Colson was unblocked on the back side with a free shot.

5th sack 13:12 4th - Okie and Morris both stand up on the left side. Okie is about 2 yards off the ball and gets a 6 yard running head start on the RG and puts him flat on his back with a bull rush. QB had nowhere to go after that. At NG, Mazi takes the LG one on one and literally throws him aside. QB is probably fortunate Okie got there first.

6th sack 9:27 4th - Derrick Moore standing up R EDGE. Gets good extension with his hands and maintains outside leverage while collapsing the pocket. As QB tries to escape, he's simply able to grab him with his free hand. Harrell does the exact same thing on the left side and once Moore grabs him, gets an easy assist.

7th sack 1:47 4th - McGregor on an Y stunt (aka line twist). Upshaw goes first from his DT spot and takes the RG and RT with him to the outside. McGregor starts up the field and cuts inside once he sees Upshaw. RG is late to recognize and McGregor gets inside of him unblocked.

This really shows that scheme (including MAs) were responsible for 3 sacks and one on one rep wins for 4. This is a nice balance and they're going to need both going forward. What's really encouraging is the younger guys getting in on this action, McGregor and Moore especially. Okie is new to the team but he's been around awhile and is a former 5 star. Glad to see him looking the part the last several games. The other guys have been contributors for awhile and really good to see Morris starting to show the range of his potential. IMO, I think he has some more to go but there's 6 games left for him to show it. He could certainly end up being a solid draft pick for someone.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT