ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Taliafi Taala

Just got off the phone with the 2023 three-star offensive tackle’s father. A full article will be out tonight. But his father said something compelling that I had to share on the board.

The senior recently told his parents “I’m not going to play in Utah.” So the factor of Taala staying in the west coast might not be as challenging for the Wolverines as previously thought?

Taala is coming off his unofficial to Michigan last weekend and will get back with Sherrone Moore about a possible official visit in December. A return is a MUST for the family, who spent nearly all of Friday and Saturday on campus.

Login to view embedded media

Recruiting Jalen Todd

Drove to Southfield A&T tonight to see the 2024 cornerback, who picked up an offer from Michigan and Steve Clinkscale back in August. Todd has been on campus three times since July and is looking to return for the Michigan State game.

If Todd does come back, I’m putting in a FutureCast. The only other schools Todd has visited this fall are Western Michigan, Purdue, and Kent State. Todd also doesn’t have anything scheduled for the remainder of the fall.

I talked to a local 7on7 coach during A&T’s game and he said Clinkscale is very interested in Todd, who’s clearly reciprocating as well.

In the win over River Rouge and 2024 MSU wide receiver Nicholas Marsh, Todd recorded two pass breakups. Todd would start at both corner and nickel.

Login to view embedded media

How Long Do We Continue?

We have consistently said that “Michigan does not and will not pay a recruit to come to Michigan.” Clearly we don’t, and we can see the result. The question is, how long can we continue?

What about other schools? Take Notre Dame, for example. Their president and athletic director have both said that they will not pay a recruit to come to Notre Dame. But at this point they have the second-ranked ‘23 class, with 21 four-star recruits, 15 of whom are ranked in the top 200.

Both the ND officials are telling the truth, but are being very disingenuous. The difference between Notre Dame and Michigan is that they have turned their wealthy alumni loose to do exactly what their officials are saying the school itself does not do. They’ve actually set up a mechanism that aligns their wealthy donors with recruits who they really want to sign — and it’s working.

I’m quite certain Michigan has more wealthy donors who are willing to “play the game”, but are probably being discouraged from doing so. Should we continue to be one of the only schools steadfastly refusing to compensate recruits? Our principal rival makes no bones about how to attract top recruits. Ohio State actually calls their donors together and tells them what payments to players are necessary. Ryan Day recently told a group of donors that “the number” for next year is $13 million!

How long do we stick with the no pay for play recruiting rule? Another couple of years of recruiting classes ranked in the 20’s and 5-6th in the Big Ten?

Insider M&BR Q&A 10/18: Ask us anything!

We are back with another edition of our Q&A in The Den!

Fire away with your questions and we will answer them when we can! No question is out of bounds, within the rules of the boards.

As always, this segment is sponsored by Andy Luedecke at MyPerfectFranchise.net!

Andy Luedecke

www.MyPerfectFranchise.Net

p: 404-973-9901

e: andy@myperfectfranchise.net

Book time with me at: Andy's Calendar

OT: F1 Fans? My 2023 Seat Predictions

X for seats already secured.

Red Bull
Max X
Checo X

Mercedes
Lewis X
Russell X

Ferrari
LeClerc X
Sainz X

Alpine
Ocon X
GASLY

McLaren
Norris X
PIASTRI

Alfa Romeo
Bottas X
ZHOU

AlphaTauri
SCHUMACHER
Tsunoda

Aston Martin
Alonso X
Stroll X

Haas
Magnussen X
GIOVINAZZI

Williams
Albon X
SARGEANT

This is super fluid, and I could be wrong on all of it.

Things we know;
Piastri has a deal with McLaren they are just waiting on the contract board ruling. At this point Alpine are not likely to force Piastri to drive for them but just want money. They are likely to use that money to pay for the contract break to get French driver Pierre Gasly. Red Bull knows Gasly is leaving next year any way, so the open seat for cash is a good thing.

I think they pick up Mick Schumacher. He has officially been dropped by the Ferrari Academy so he will bring no extra dollars to Haas next year. Ocon has been pushing for Alpine to sign him, but I don't think that happens. I think he joins Red Bull Academy and takes the spot at AlphaTauri. Mick has really good potential as a second driver.

Giovinazzi is the Ferrari reserve, has Ferrari engine experience, I think he gets the Haas seat.

Williams has options for their second seat and can afford to wait, but Sargeant is in their academy. On track to finish second in F2. Having an American with three US races next year has to be intriguing.

Insider Clearing up some Santa Ono narratives in regard to athletics...

While it's true that Santa Ono is very engaged in the athletic department, which is great for the overall direction of the department in general, that's just who he is as a president.

In some aspects of the university, he is more hands-on but, in general, the opinion is that he is very engaged with how the university works, athletics included. He understands the importance of it.

Essentially, he's not going to come in and lay down the hammer of how he wants things to run. He's going to be engaged, for sure, but he's not going to force anyone's hand. He won't be forcing anyone out, either.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT