ADVERTISEMENT

Games you never get over

There are games that sit with you for a long time... the game vs TCU will ( unfortunately) be one of them which ones are in the Pantheon of regret ? My friends from the neighborhood have NEVER gotten over

1) 1973 v OSU ( 10-10 Tie)
2) 1974 V OSU ( Lantry's Kick really was good..... it really was)
3) 1994 Cordell Stewart Hail Mary
4) 1980 Harry Oliver 51 Yd FG v ND
5) 2016 OSU terrible spot on 4th Down
5) TCU Fiesta Bowl.... C'mon really 2 pick six's a fumble in the endzone.......

unfortunately... there are others !

Games you'll never forget !

There are also games that stay with you for a long time... and celebrate ... so we're not downers after the "Debacle in the Desert".... My friends from the neighborhood have NEVER forgotten

1) 2021 OSU ... Finally !
2) Under the Lights 1.... could have used the wheel route last Saturday !
3) any of the games we crushed ND by 35+
4) Hello Heisman !
5) MSU - Braylan goes nuts !
others ?

Recruiting Michigan football 2024 recruiting primer: Cornerback

Jared and I continue with our look ahead to the next cycle in recruiting with our 2024 primer.

Here, I look at some of the cornerbacks who have Michigan offers and where things currently stand with some key targets:

Reactions: ahe1985

Thought exercise re: Harbaugh situation

What if all parties stopped dancing around the issue and just acknowledged the elephant in the room:

Jim still feels like he has unfinished business in the NFL. Annual questions about whether this is the year he goes back are simply a feature, not a bug, of having Jim Harbaugh as your head coach right now. Committing to Michigan for the long term and closing the door on the NFL is not something he's going to do, so that's going to be a self-imposed headwind on recruiting because the question will always be there. It's always going to be a year-to-year thing.

So Warde says to Jim: let's just agree that 2023 is going to be your last year. You'll play out this championship window with JJ at the helm as a farewell tour.

Sherrone Moore is named the new Head Coach now and gets a year's transition. He continues his OL coaching and recruiting duties for this year, but gives up his OC duties to focus on the transition and be ready to take the wheel on Day One. Rememeber, come next fall, HE would be the one making the Head Coach in-home visits, and he'd be taking the lead on recruiting this year.

Matt Weiss and Jay would surely be going with Jim, so they move to analyst roles, as they can't recruit if they're not going to be here.

The new OC is brought in now.

Defensive staff stays intact, sans Jay. I don't think Minter would feel passed over by Moore after only one year here, and would surely stay on if made to feel properly valued. Doubt he's in a big rush to move from a championship-contending program after only a season.

Video Good Afternoon, Michigan Football; Harbaugh status & Anthony hits the portal

Breakdown
Open 00:00-6:13
Harbaugh experience 6:14-33:33
In-house coaching candidates if Harbaugh leaves 33:34-35:53
Top three coaching candidates if Harbaugh leaves 35:54-37:57
Michigan people being negitive about Harbaugh 37:58-49:00
Andrel Anthony in the portal 49:01-56:10
Harbaugh feedback: 56:11-102:59
Michigan basketball 103:00-106:28
Harbaugh stuff 106:29-1:18:21
Login to view embedded media

Insider Everything we know about the Jim Harbaugh situation (as of Jan. 4)

For those who are regular board members, this is going to be used as our 'Jim Harbaugh HQ' where all of our updates regarding the latest rounds of NFL rumors will be placed.

There won't be anything new in here that won't be posted on the boards first. All updates will go here after posting so you can find a streamlined timeline for everything we've posted.

With that, here's everything we've heard.

HQH Plus 1/4 Part 2: Continued optimism on Jim Harbaugh

This is what I am hearing as of this moment. As always, things can, or could not, change relatively quickly but we are here to give the most complete version of what we know.

Let's get started.

Michigan and Jim Harbaugh are on the same page in terms of getting a contract done. Received some further optimism today, on top of what we reported on the player's parents today as well.

If you missed it, you can find that here: https://michigan.forums.rivals.com/...ng-the-temperature-with-player-parents.348896

There are some things that need to be addressed in regard to the contract but that involves a little bit of give and take from both sides. After talking to multiple sources today, I get the sense that the major sticking point right now is the buyout. A lot of posturing from both sides, Michigan wants it higher and the other side might not want it to be as high. I do not get the sense that Harbaugh is demanding a lower buyout but an agent wanting a friendly deal for his client.

It's the kind of contract stuff that many expect to be ironed out relatively soon. I am not ready to call things a "done deal" by any means but any positive momentum right now is good momentum and that is certainly happening.

I am of the belief that Harbaugh will return to Michigan as of this writing but I cannot rule out an NFL team being desperate and giving him a hefty offer to consider. No one truly can. I don't know where this $20 million offer talk is coming from (whether it's social media fluff or whatever) but that number is absurd for any NFL coach, not just Harbaugh.

Remember, Harbaugh didn't get a contract offer from the Vikings last year so there really wasn't anything to consider and there are certainly no guarantees that one will happen this year, either.

As always, stay tuned. We'll have more when I can get it.

HQH Plus 1/4: Checking the temperature with player parents

We have been asking around as of late to get a temperature check from the player parents regarding the Jim Harbaugh situation.

The overall sense we’ve gotten seems to be calm and not a lot of panic. There is trust in the coaches, Harbaugh included, and the expectation is to ride it out no matter which way things go.

After we spoke to one parent of a player that was a significant contributor in 2022, we were able to glean quite a bit of where things stand.

To protect sources and to not sell anybody out, below is a synopsis of the conversation.

- Harbaugh told everyone that needed to know that he would be coaching the team next season. His straight-forward approach with the parents lends him credence to being a man of his word.
- Reiterated that Harbaugh shouldn’t have to come out and explain his intentions after every report that surfaces.
- Believes these kind of reports is to create turmoil within the program, reiterates that he will tell his players the truth and of his intentions.
- He will be backed whether he coaches at Michigan or elsewhere.

Again, not much panic from anyone at this moment. These guys are seasoned vets to the yearly Harbaugh news cycle at this point.

More when I have it.

Henschke's Quick Hitters 1/3: What we're hearing on the latest round of Jim Harbaugh talk

As the old adage goes...

"If Ifs and Buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." Of course, it's no longer December and Christmas has since passed us by, but the saying holds true here.

IF Jim Harbaugh were offered by an NFL team
Jim Harbaugh MIGHT be interested
Jim Harbaugh POSSIBLY could return to the NFL

The one constant in this? No one is speaking in certainties because no one truly knows what Jim Harbaugh wants to do. And that goes for me, too. I won't be sitting here saying which way this thing goes until I get a definitive word one way or the other. What I can do is share what I know and what I've heard.

We are aware that Harbaugh has spoken to the Carolina Panthers' owner about the head coaching vacancy. Without knowing the context of said conversation, it was NOT an interview and Harbaugh has not given any indication to anyone within his circle that he's open to it.

So where has the context of "if offered" come from sources close to him? I dug a little deeper and was able to hear something intriguing that I haven't been able to fully verify but have heard from more than one person. I think this sheds some light on where some of this talk is coming from.

This source was asked a hypothetical question: If Harbaugh were to be offered full control of a franchise, with a ridiculous salary and a long-term deal, would he be interested in the deal?

That answer was yes. Which, duh. Who wouldn't at least consider a hefty offer like that?

Now, you can run with a story with "sources close to Harbaugh believe he would consider an offer from the NFL if offered." If it doesn't come to fruition, you can talk yourself out of it by saying it was always a possibility and not a definite thing. Bit of a baited question.

Again, I can't verify this as 100% fact but when you hear a similar person from more than one person who isn't connected in any way, it starts to make you think.

As for what we're hearing, I had a phone conversation with someone close to Harbaugh today who reiterated that the expectation was for Harbaugh to stay in Michigan. While he couldn't rule out the NFL completely, no one truly can until Harbaugh says so, whether that's publicly or to these franchises directly. Another source referred to the chatter on social media as a "Twitter death spiral."

Another conversation included the, "He said he's staying three weeks ago, what more do people need?" viewpoint, and that's from a very strong source.

At this point, those in the know are falling back on the fact that Harbaugh is a man of his word line. This is a factual statement, he hasn't lied or led anyone astray. However, it's not something to lean on with absolute zero doubts that he is staying at Michigan. Encouraging, yes.

The fact is, no one truly knows what Harbaugh is going to do. His coming out and saying he plans to coach Michigan in 2023 and that he was done with the NFL last year is a good start.

At this point, there is no tangible evidence that Harbaugh is for sure heading to the NFL outside of public opinion. You can also make the argument there isn't anything tangible to suggest he's saying recently, although the evidence of his public statement provides a counterpoint that holds significant weight if past evidence continues to hold true and I am of the belief that it is.

NFL franchises reaching out to talk to him to have conversations have happened but the contents of the conversations remain a mystery.

Until those I trust become nervous, that's when I will take stock of it.

For now, saying that "I don't know what's going to happen" is going to be my line. However, I will add on to that by saying: "I don't know what's going to happen, however, people I speak with believe he will stay at Michigan."

For now, that's good enough for me.

More when I have it.

To follow up with our "what we're hearing piece (1/2)

After word has come out that Harbaugh has met with members of the team to let them know his intentions to stay, the nervousness and panic of when this stuff first came out has calmed down a little bit.

I’m getting a lot of “yeah I think this is crap” responses in regards to the NFL talk from those who I didn’t source in the piece.

Not saying a bullet has been dodged or crisis averted, it’s basically coming down to Jim Harbaugh’s word versus sources who suggest he’s open to listening. Do I think he goes against his word and screws a lot of people over? No, I don’t.

I’ll continue to dig some more.

Henschke's Quick Hitters 1/2: What we're hearing on the Jim Harbaugh rumors

I want to try and lay out everything I know in an open and honest format I possibly can. For better or for worse, I want to lay out what I'm hearing, when I hear.

Some stuff you might not like to read, other might be good news. The one thing I don't want to do is play with emotions and lead people on.

With that, I will try my best to lay out everything I know after talking to some folks today.

Let's get started.

I consider this set of rumors a "two sides of the coin" type of deal. One positive side, the other in a negative light. I will first break down what the negative side of the coin is currently saying.

There appear to be some thoughts from those around Harbaugh is that the sense is that he is willing to, at the very least, listen to NFL overtures. Now, I want to be crystal clear when I say this, this isn't coming from Harbaugh directly, nor has he indicated to ANYONE that he intends to take any NFL overtures seriously. However, there is a belief in certain circles that he's willing to listen and the process would be quick, unlike last time. That needs to be recognized.

The other side of the coin is much more positive and things that we KNOW Harbaugh has done. On top of what he's said in the past about last year being the last time he'd look into the NFL, and what he said three weeks ago about coming back for 2023, we have been told that Harbaugh has told players that he is coming back next year as recent as today. Multiple sets of families have been told by Harbaugh personally that he is indeed coming back next season. Those inside Schembechler also feel the same way, that he indeed intends to return. This information is coming from those inside Schembechler and from parents personally.

There have been unconfirmed rumors that Warde Manuel has spoken with Harbaugh, too. I am working to find out whether it has happened.

Also unconfirmed, I know there's a push from those inside Schembechler that there has to be a public statement made to shut things down, too.

My OPINION here is that he's a man of his word and he wouldn't lie to his players, coaches and others around the program. It would be a surprise to many and it would burn a lot of bridges.

We will see what happens here in the coming days. I'll never say never when it comes to Harbaugh but there's a lot of evidence out there, would be very peculiar if things take a 180.

More when I have it.

From someone I speak to regarding Harbaugh and the Denver job (1/1)

"Harbaugh to Denver is a Broncos' pipe dream. NOT happening."

Received this text unprompted, too.

Why does this keep happening (Dickinson)?

Login to view embedded media
Is it likely true, absolutely, but how about laying low for awhile, especially after what we did in the nonconference.

I'm not totally against the trash talk (if you are a winning team).

He's already had comments about blowing out arizona state by 20. Then we got destroyed.

Maybe it's this new player podcast NIL era, but I just don't think this is necessary given where we currently stand.

Insider HQH Plus 1/4 Part 2: Continued optimism on Jim Harbaugh

This is what I am hearing as of this moment. As always, things can, or could not, change relatively quickly but we are here to give the most complete version of what we know.

Let's get started.

Michigan and Jim Harbaugh are on the same page in terms of getting a contract done. Received some further optimism today, on top of what we reported on the player's parents today as well.

If you missed it, you can find that here: https://michigan.forums.rivals.com/...ng-the-temperature-with-player-parents.348896

There are some things that need to be addressed in regard to the contract but that involves a little bit of give and take from both sides. After talking to multiple sources today, I get the sense that the major sticking point right now is the buyout. A lot of posturing from both sides, Michigan wants it higher and the other side might not want it to be as high. I do not get the sense that Harbaugh is demanding a lower buyout but an agent wanting a friendly deal for his client.

It's the kind of contract stuff that many expect to be ironed out relatively soon. I am not ready to call things a "done deal" by any means but any positive momentum right now is good momentum and that is certainly happening.

I am of the belief that Harbaugh will return to Michigan as of this writing but I cannot rule out an NFL team being desperate and giving him a hefty offer to consider. No one truly can. I don't know where this $20 million offer talk is coming from (whether it's social media fluff or whatever) but that number is absurd for any NFL coach, not just Harbaugh.

Remember, Harbaugh didn't get a contract offer from the Vikings last year so there really wasn't anything to consider and there are certainly no guarantees that one will happen this year, either.

As always, stay tuned. We'll have more when I can get it.

Football Harbaugh reaffirms he’s staying at Michigan to Carolina news station

A lot of people aren’t going to love the phrasing of the quote but that’s another public turndown.

🤷🏼‍♂️

I can't remember who posted this idea in a thread...

...but I really thought about how smart a post this was (please let me know so that I can tag you and give you credit in my post):

Whoever floated the idea about Ryan Day as a "future Michigan OC/Assistant HC". It's a great idea...and it's not at all impossible (though somewhat improbable). All that needs to happen is:
  • OSU loses three games (or more) next season- @ND, PSU, and @Michigan are all very possible losses- Road games at Purdue, IU (1st game of the season), and Wisconsin won't necessarily be cakewalks.
  • The natives get so restless that OSU pulls the trigger on a guy who has a 3 game losing streak, and the first OSU team to ever finish third in the B1G Eastern Division (PSU would finish 2nd, assuming they beat OSU). Day becomes available.
  • In the same offseason, Sherrone Moore, after having another great season as OC/OL coach, he wins another award, and then takes his first HC job.
I was thinking about this post after reading that stupid Urban Oscar Meyer (Weiner) for the next Michigan coach.

I would hate Meijer's Thrifty Fingers due to obvious reasons, top of which is: He's a gross person that should not be a mentor for young men...and a person that's not fit to be a mentor (that shouldn't be such a high bar) is certainly not qualified to be a college head coach...

But Ryan Day?

He seems to be a solid citizen, and not too much of an a-hole. Wouldn't that be funny to see him as Michigan's OC there in 2024 for a season or two to "stick it" to OSU, before embarking on his next job.

One issue I do have with Ryan Day is that he likes the color red a bit too much...

You can see it in his face. 😆
IRUi0M9u_400x400.jpg
  • Haha
Reactions: Goblue614
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT