ADVERTISEMENT

This loss still hurts

Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. I feel like we were clearly the better team had we got 2 pick 6s and stopped them for no points in the redzone I believe we are up by 30. Whatever we are doing for bowl prep has to change something is getting lost. Either we are overthinking or just not preparing effectively. Each year we come out and we are down early. Even though I believe Georgia was better than us last year we did not give them much of a game. Same thing this year get down to the 2 and get cute then throw pick 6 and never have the lead. Corum playing perhaps we do better that 2nd pick 6 I believe if we have Corum we dont throw on 3rd and 2. The Mullins goal line fumble we score if that is Corum. I dont understand why we did not give Donavan Edwards in those situations just hard to process.

Time to turn the page

Outstanding 2022 season, despite the disappointing ending. But remember, only one team will not be disappointed at the end of the season. Just the way things are.

Time to turn the page to 2023. And things will start to heat up TODAY. It is going to be a wild and crazy month:

- Now that our season is over who will be entering the portal? Who will be declaring early for the NFL draft? Who will be announcing that he is returning? Critical personnel decisions that will have a huge impact on how strong of a team we will be in 2023. We need to have 15+ players with remaining eligibility leave the program to get around the 85 scholarship limit.

- January means that annual ritual as to whether Jim stays or goes is heating up again. Jim has indicated that he is planning to coach Michigan in 2023. “Plans”, however, can always change. The sooner he puts this to rest, the better. We cannot afford to have a repeat of what happened last January.

- Great expectations with respect to NIL. We absolutely need a momentum-builder here to kick-start 2024 recruiting. We need a great class with at least a couple of five star type talents.

- Close strongly with 2023 recruiting. Land a couple more four star or better prospects. More portal additions? Now or after spring ball. We could use an upgrade at WR and a CB, assuming Turner and/or Green leave. If both return no need for a corner, but that is a big if.

- Assistant coaches. Who will move on? Who will replace him/them. Things usually heat up here next week during the AFCA convention.

Most important: keep Jim and fix NIL. The rest would then fall into place.

failed in almost every way

tcu controlled LOS on both sides, something that they had not done consistently all year...UM could not control either LOS, again, something that hasn't happened all year to UM..7 TO's all season, 3 today, all in critical moments that decided the game. pass pro failed, even when tcu rushed 3 men..tcu ran almost at will, even with their backup, inexcusable...was i the only one wondering why graham didn't play more?..almost nothing from mazi and jenkins, either against the run, or in terms of pushing the pocket...dj turner, won't get drafted if he goes pro, but almost hope he does, underwhelming all year, and really bad today..very few bright spots...all teams lose games, not mad about that, but totally baffled about how unprepared they were, and how they played so out of character...lol, or maybe the big ten really was hot garbage

300-yard games

Over Harbaugh's 8 years, Michigan has had 12 300-yard passing games out of 99. Once every 8-9 games.

OSU in that same span has done it 35 times.

With 15, CJ Stroud alone had more 300-yard games in two seasons as Michigan has had in 8.

Michigan's distribution in that time:

McCarthy 2
McNamara 1
Milton 2
Patterson 3
Peters 0
O'Korn 0
Speight 2
Rudock 2

This is really striking when you consider that Harbaugh, for a minute in 2015-16, was talked about as a "quarterback whisperer".
Reactions: Macdaddy7657

Goodbye for now

Hi all - I know I haven't been around for a bit, but wanted to let you know I'm stepping away from video creation.

I fully believe in this staff and the contributions the entire team will continue to make without my small video corner, here. Won't type the rest out, as the tweet below has most of what I want to say.

Appreciate you all and wish you the best. Go blue forever

Login to view embedded media

Bowl Prep

First, congrats to this team on an amazing season. How many of us were talking 13-0 with a B1G at the start of the season? Don't think it was too many, so hats off to this team and their accomplishments.

Now for the problem...Mich may have played their worst game of the season at the worst possible time. Two years in a row, this is the case. The fact this team was in the game at the end is a testament to how talented they are and their desire to win. But that isn't enough against a team who is supremely motivated to beat you and has the talent to do it. How does this happen that Mich looks completely out of sorts in the first quarter? An old adage comes to mind - Victory Loves Preparation. Now, I'm sure Mich feels they adequately prepared for this game but there's a problem. Going back to Stanford, Harbaugh is 2-7 in bowl games. His dad, most likely the single biggest influence on his coaching style, lost in either the first round or quarters of the NCAA D1AA 3 of the 4 times he made it there, winning a Natl Champ in his final season. Something is off in getting this team mentally and physically prepared to play after a month off. I don't have access to the program and I don't know what that is. A number of times they seemed to overthink the situation and get away from what got them there. The Philly Special on the goal line on 4th down is a great example of this. Not only did the play not work (although if it did I'm sure Harbaugh would be praised for ingenuity), but it sent a message to TCU that Mich felt they needed to run a gadget play to get two yards on the goal line with the Joe Moore offensive line and likely future All-America candidates at QB and RB. The psychological effect that has cannot be understated. Hopefully, this gets addressed because the disappointment of the fans likely pales in comparison to that of the players, particularly those who just played their last game. Could very well be right back in this same spot next season and the time to start thinking about that is now.

Time for the offseason and to get ready for that push. Again, great season. Go Blue!

Minter...

I love the guys humble smarts, energy and what he's done with the Defense this year.

Carrying over with the McDonald philosophy and shutting down everyone in the 2nd half all year. His squad not allowing big plays.

So WTF happened today?

Besides the gift to TCU of JJ's two pick sixes and a horrible call on Wilson's TD, what went wrong with the Defensive players' execution, especially in the 2nd half when we normally shut down our opponent?

Not saying he pulled a Durkin, and was checked out after the Ohio game and looking for a promotion to the NFL, but I'm baffled by him being out coached/schemed by TCU.

Any help appreciated in figuring this out.

Football Unfortunate end to a great year (Happy New Year, all!) ...

What a great season it was, although it tastes a bit bitter with how this one ended. This is an excellent learning opportunity for JJ for the future.

Who knows when this team will be back, which makes these chances even more fleeting when self-inflicted wounds are the root cause of today.

We'll be back at it tomorrow. As for the rest of the night, enjoy the time with your family as we ring in 2023. I hope it's the most prosperous one for you all yet!

I hate the time off before the Semi-Finals....

I know it's the same for everyone, but I really think it's pot luck how the team comes out and plays after a month off. I think the Semis mid-December and then the Championship game to close out the bowls tomorrow or Tuesday night would feature the 4 teams at their best (with 2 weeks off between each game to feel fresh). Not sure if finals are the reason they can't do the Semis mid-December but I cant imagine the 4 teams are really focused on Finals the past few weeks. I'm sure they can accommodate the players.

Insider "Reaching out" and "reciprocating interest" are two very different things

Here we go again. The same song and dance that people buy into every year.

The Harbaugh to the NFL talks gets silly every year. I'm aware that last year was different than most but the point is still the same. I can confirm that the Broncos and Colts have reached out to express interest in Harbaugh to interview for their head coaching vacancy.

However, one thing holds true throughout Jim Harbaugh's entire tenure: For better or for worse, Harbaugh is a man of his word and that he never wavers.

I want to remind you all just a few weeks ago:

“Well, it’s a lot of that time of the year type of speculation but I think no man knows the future,” Harbaugh said. “We’ve done a good job and people are pleased with the job that we’ve done here at Michigan. They’re gonna be very happy to learn that we’ll be back enthusiastically coaching the Wolverines in 2023. And for those people that don’t approve of the job we’ve done or would rather see somebody else coaching here, I think they’ll be most likely disappointed to learn and we’ll be back coaching the Wolverines in 2023.”

Of course, he's right. No man truly knows the future but for him to shut down any kind of talk WEEKS ago, the most public turndown of NFL interest he's ever given, I'd argue, then you have to give credence to it.

Have you noticed that the NFL interest talk is coming from one side? That of the NFL. That's where my original argument comes back, having a franchise reaching out to gauge interest is not the same as "Harbaugh is gone" or "Harbaugh is interested in the NFL." There is zero evidence in Harbaugh having interest in either the Broncos or the Colts job and nor should he. The quarterback situation for both places stink and he has two more years of JJ McCarthy who he loves. I don't see him giving that up.

I am fully expecting Harbaugh to return next season and that's not based on anything I am hearing, just taking the man for his word.

That's all I'll say on the situation until I have something concrete to share. Read the tea leaves.

Michigan versus Maryland thread. Bball game in a few minutes is pretty big

I know most here have just accepted this product so far and think rebuilding is okay, but we have 20 games left.

The reality is this is a game we need to win if we even plan on going .500 this season let alone trying to make the tournament.

Team has 9 Top 150 players and a returning All American center that looks pretty darn uninterested.

The defense and effort has been atrocious to the point where you wonder what they are doing in practice.

Winnable game and pretty much a must win if this team has any intention of doing anything this year.

Jim is a great coach. I'm glad we have him

That does not absolve him of the crap that went on tonight. From the first 4th down debacle to the mishandled snap at the end, Jim owns it. He knows that, and he will take responsibility.

My hot takes.
JJ was hot at times but his mistakes were huge.
The officiating was suspect at times.
The playcalling was suspect at times (on both sides of the ball)
TCU was pretty darn good.
We really missed Blake tonight.
We dug a hole early that we couldn't overcome.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT