ADVERTISEMENT

Josh, re Weiss

@Josh Henschke I got an ESPN notification that the AP filed a FOIA request and M released a document saying they had “proof” Weiss inappropriately accessed employee computers. They notified Weiss they had proof, he failed to show up at the meeting to discuss, and they fired him for cause. Are you hearing anything more? Oh, M claimed an exemption and didn’t release the proof. SIAD and sorry I couldn’t link the article.

Insider Is Michigan adding a familiar name to its off-field staff?

After hearing rumblings last week, I spent some time over the weekend trying to gather facts on what is happening with Michigan's off-field coaching staff and one name that is being thrown around circles this week.

I continue to hear Michigan and Shemy Schembechler's names linked with one another since he departed the Las Vegas Raiders franchise last week. He was a scout for the franchise.

I can confirm that Schembecher has spoken with people at Michigan about a job there and the belief is that he has spoken with Jim Harbaugh about a job, too. The plan would be for Shemy to come back in a hybrid player personnel role, where he would work in the recruiting department as well as work on current player evaluations.

I can't say with certainty that this is going to happen for sure but its certainly trending toward him coming back to the program.

I will keep an ear to the ground to see if I get the official word.

Recruiting If he were to announce today…

I would pick Michigan being the team to beat for 2024 RB Jordan Marshall out of Ohio.

It’s going to come down to UM-OSU for him and Mike Hart has done a great job recruiting him.

Still a long ways to go and I’m not close to FutureCast territory but I do think the Wolverines lead here. He will be visiting again this spring.

Login to view embedded media

Video Good Afternoon, Michigan Football; Things UM can learn from Super Bowl

Couple things stood out to Michigan fans watching the Super Bowl last night. The field was slippery and so were the refs. We discuss those two things and look at some ideas that the Michigan football team can use next season. Juwan Howard said in his postgame on Saturday night that. "We weren't able to get to what we were asking from the offensive end because there were times when the guys want to go ahead and do it how they want to do it." Not a great sign for UM with now six games remaining in the regular season. Michigan hockey with a dramtic sweep of Michigan State over the weekend.

Breakdown
Juwan Howard 00:00-:53
Open :54-1:55
UM IU 1:56-9:57
Michigan hockey 9:58-13:08
Mantrez Walker 13:09-14:30
Super Bowl refs 14:31-21:13
Eagles short yardage approach with Alex Orji 21:14- 28:21
UM & MSU animosity on ice 28:22-30:16
Juwan Howard 30:17-33:51
Michigan's big break in '89 33:52-38:50
Super Bowl feedback 38:51-105:31

Small NFL Backs

So far (early fourth period) first year ex-Rutgers running back Isiah Pacheco is doing pretty well — 15 carries for 76 yards rushing, almost half of the Chief’s Super Bowl rushing production. He hasn’t been a factor in the Kansas City passing game. Pacheco logs in at 5’ 10” and 215 lbs. He played on a pretty bad Rutgers team and was selected for honorable mention Big Ten honors as a senior.

I guess if anyone thought that Blake Corum was too small for the NFL—I’ve been one—Pacheco has proven us wrong. Corum is a much better runner than Pacheco and arguably a more accomplished receiver. On the right team, Corum should have an excellent NFL career.
Reactions: lovetheblue

Football Ask the Board: Your break out player candidates?

A lot of good names thrown around in my post from today so I’m going to try something different for a post tomorrow.

An “ask the board” series where we get your input and put them in story format. It’ll probably go through some changes before we perfect the series the rest of the off-season.

With that, name your breakout candidate(s) below. There will be some overlap so the more overlap, the more likely it’ll be included in the story.

Let’s hear it!
Reactions: buttaball

Nebraska tomorrow, and the B1G in general.

From the 2023 "any team can beat any other college basketball team on any given night" files:

Nebraska just handled PSU at home, breaking a 4-game and 6 of 7 game losing stretch. But I believe, like most B1G programs, Nebraska is a different team at home than on the road.

While people are solely focused on Michigan's path to the NCAA Tourney, many need to really gauge what is going on elsewhere in the league to really grasp what could most likely happen.

Right now, Purdue is a number one seed and in the tourney without issue.

IU, as the only other ranked B1G program and with a win over #1 Purdue, is in, probably as a 4/5 seed depending on their finish.
Rutgers, at 16-7 overall and alone at 8-4 in 2nd place in the B1G, is in pretty easily right now, though they have a killer schedule (@IU, @UI, @@PSU, @Wisky, and vs Michigan) down the stretch.

Then things get interesting:

Of the other 7-5 teams, there are four currently at 16-7 overall: Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois and Northwestern...Let's assume that 3 of these teams get in (we will get back to that point later).

Then out if the remaining 7-5 teams (there are currently 6 teams tied for third place), Iowa is 15-8 overall, and Michigan is 13-10.

Behind those teams, we have MSU at 6-6 (14-9 overall), and Wisconsin (13-9) and PSU (14-9) at 5-7.

I will list what I predict are probable losses for each team and their resulting final record.

Sadly for Northwestern, I have them going 2-6 in their last 8, with the 6 losses coming vs Purdue, IU, @Illinois, @UMD, and @Rutgers.
I have PSU and Iowa at home and @OSU as tossups where I feel they will drop 1.
This will leave Northwestern at 18-13, 9-11 in the B1G and once again, on the "gotta win some B1G Tournament games" list.

Here are my predictions for what has been an up to this date, completely unpredictable season:
IN
Purdue-29-3, 7-1 prediction to finish, 18-3 in the B1G
Maryland - 21-10, 5-3 prediction to finish, 12-8 in the B1G with losses @MSU, vs Purdue, and @PSU.
Indiana- 20-11, 4-4 prediction to finish, 11-9 in the B1G

PSU- 20-11, 6-2 prediction to finish 11-9 in the B1G with losses @Maryland, and @Northwestern.
Rutgers- 20-11, 4-4 prediction to finish 12-8 in the B1G with losses @IU, @ Illinois, @PSU, and either vs Michigan or @ Wisky
Illinois- 20-11, 4-4 prediction to finish 11-9 in the B1G with losses @PSU, @Purdue, @IU...and I have a suspicion that Illinois will drop one between Michigan at home, Rutgers at home, and @OSU...

Work to Do

Michigan- 18-13, 5-3 prediction to finish, 12-8 in the B1G with losses @Rutgers, @IU, and @Illinois (though I think that Michigan can pull an upset @Illinois, and @Rutgers. Needs one tourney win- two to be safe.
Northwestern at 18-13, Prediction to finish 9-11 in the B1G, 2-6 in their last with losses coming vs Purdue, IU, @Illinois, @UMD, and @Rutgers.(1 or 2 wins to get in)
Iowa-19-12, 4-4 prediction to finish, 11-9 in the B1G with losses @Purdue, @Northwestern, @Wisconsin, and @IU. One tourney win should do it for Iowa
Wisconsin- 18-12, 5-3 prediction to finish, 10-10 in the B1G with losses @PSU, @Michigan, and vs Purdue. Needs 2 tourney wins
MSU- 18-13, 4-4 prediction to finish, 10-10 in the B1G with losses @Iowa, @Michigan, and vs IU, with a split of Maryland at home and @OSU.

Illinois is an interesting case, because they could easily go 5-3, or 2-6 in their last 8, which would leave them on the "Work to do" list. In addition, road wins will be huge for these teams when they face one another.

I believe that the B1G will get 8 teams in the tourney, but it's up to these last 4 teams' performances in the B1G Tourney to see who will make it.

Football Three players with most to gain this spring

Spring is just the beginning. But as we saw last season with Mike Sainristil, Colston Loveland, and Will Johnson, for some players these practices can change their roles with the team. These are three players who can prove they are factors for 2023. Who is on your list?
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT