ADVERTISEMENT

On this being the beginning...(long)

nickespitia

Michigan Man
Oct 24, 2005
I posted this over on the new TOS and thought I'd bring it over here too. I didn't convert the on3 consensus ratings because that would take too long haha. Mods if that's an issue feel free to delete. But I do hope it generates some discussion. The TL/DR version is I think we're about to see a really exciting run for Michigan football. I think we could see a run similar to what we saw from 97-2000 where we were a legitimate top 5 program.

Post pasted below:

Like a lot of you I'm really excited about the match up with Georgia. I think Michigan has a very good chance to do something this year. So, I'm certainly not looking to wrap this year up anytime soon, but I do keep coming back to Harbaugh's comment after OSU that this feels like the beginning. We will certainly lose a lot of key pieces from this year's team. We know Haskins, Hutchinson, and Vastardis are gone. It's also likely that we'll lose Steuber, Ojabo, Ross, and Hill. While I wouldn't say it's likely that we lose Erik All it sounds like it's at least a possibility now. Those guys were not only good to great players they were also leaders who helped change the culture.

They will be tough to replace but when you look at the overall roster and the guys who were significant contributors you realize that this was a very young team. We have a lot of guys returning with multiple years of eligibility (thanks Covid haha. Though I should note the covid year has made eligibility confusing so I might have a few guys listed incorrectly). Then we have a very talented class from 20 and 21 waiting to fill some of the gaps. It's hard not to get excited about the next few seasons. We could be in position for a run like we saw from 97-2000. Below I've listed a potential offensive depth chart for next year with the players eligibility, stats, and recruiting ranking. I will post the defensive two deep sometime this week but the offense took a lot longer than I expected. It's hard not to get excited when you look the talent and experience we have coming back. Even with the departures next year's team should challenge for a big ten title again. The offense could be one of the best we've seen under Harbaugh and Gattis.

Offense
  • QB
    • Cade McNamara - Covid RS SO
      • 2021 stats: 199/308 (64%), 2470 yards, 15 TDs, 4 INTs
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 2019, 4-star, #268 overall, #12 QB
    • JJ McCarthy - SO
      • 2021 stats: 27/42 (64%), 385 yards 4 TDs, 2 INT
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 21, 4-star, #48 overall, #9 QB
    • I'm not sure who will win the job but both guys played very well this year. Whoever wins the job should be better than they were this season. We may lose one of them after next season but I think both will be back for the fall.
  • RB
    • Blake Corum - Covid SO
      • 2021 stats: 939 yards rushing, 6.7 YPC, 11 TDs, 22 receptions, 143 yards, 1 TD, 12 KR, 304 yards, 25.3 YPR
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 20, 4-star, #116 overall, #11 RB
    • Donovan Edwards - SO
      • 2021 stats: 158 yards rushing, 5.1 YPC, 3 TDs, 17 receptions, 216 yards, 1 TD, 1/1, 75 yards passing, 1 TD.
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 21, 5-star, #32 overall, #2 RB
    • Losing Haskins is going to hurt but Corum and Edwards still might be the best running back duo in the conference.
  • WR 1
    • Ronnie Bell - Covid 5th year
      • 2021 stats: 1 reception, 76 yards, 1 TD, 1 Punt return 31 yards
      • On3 recruit ranking: 3-star, #1361 overall, #215 WR
    • Andrel Anthony SO
      • 2021 stats: 11 receptions, 213 yards, 19.4 YPR, 2 TDs
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 21, 3-star, #524 overall, #79 WR
    • Getting Bell back is huge. He's going to be the groups leader and has been really productive over his career. I can't say enough about Anthony's potential. I think he's our next elite WR.
  • WR 2
    • Cornelius Johnson - Covid JR
      • 2021 stats: 38 receptions, 609 yards, 16 YPR, 3 TDs, 3 carries, 30 yards, 10 YPC
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 4-star, #193 overall, #31 WR
    • Roman Wilson - Covid SO
      • 2021 stats: 24 receptions, 378 yards, 15.8 YPR, 3 TDs, 3 carries, 59 yards, 19.7 YPC
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 20, 4-star, #267 overall, #46 WR
    • Johnson and Wilson were both playing really well at the end of the year. If they each continue to grow and become more consistent they could be really good next year. We all worried about WR depth this year but this is a solid core to build around. All the WRs had at least one big play this year and the offense should be even more explosive next season.
  • Slot WR
    • Mike Sainristil - Covid RS SO (I think)
      • 2021 stats: 20 receptions, 295 yards, 14.8 YPR, 2 TDs, 1 rush, 7 yards
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 3-star, #587 overall, #88 WR
    • AJ Henning - Covid SO
      • 2021 stats: 9 receptions, 78 yards, 8.7 YPR, 9 carries, 162 yards rushing, 2 TD, 6 KR, 179 yards, 29.8 YPR, 1 TD, 28 PR, 258 yards, 9.2 YPR
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 20, 4-star, #99 overall, #20 WR
    • Like Johnson and Wilson I thought Sainristil and Henning were trending up towards the end of the year. I've been high on Henning for a long time. I think he has elite speed and is a really nice swiss army knife for the offense. Both of these guys provide a lot of versatility to the offense.
  • TE
    • Erick All - Covid JR
      • 2021 stats: 34 receptions, 374 yards, 11 YPR, 2 TDs
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 4-star, #365 overall, #15 TE
    • Luke Schoonmaker - Covid RS JR
      • 2021 stats: 17 receptions, 165 yards, 3 TDs
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 18, 3-star, #782 overall, #42 TE
    • I know the mods said that All may look into the NFL but I think he returns for one more year. He'd be one of the best TEs in the conference and with a big year could play himself into the first three rounds.
    • Edit - It looks like All is going to leave now and that's a blow but we've developed TE really well over the past few years and I'm confident someone like Hibner or Hansen will step up.
  • LT
    • Ryan Hayes - Covid RS JR
      • 2021 stats: started 13 games at LT, 2nd team all big ten (coaches), HM all big ten (media)
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 18, 4-star, #371 overall, #26 OT
    • Karsen Barnhart - Covid RS SO
      • 2021 stats: started 2 games at LG, played in 9 games at LG and LT
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 4-star, #256 overall, #23 OT
    • Hayes will be one of the better LTs in the conference and Barnhart should continue to push him (assuming he doesn't win the RT job).
  • LG
    • Trevor Keegan - Covid RS SO
      • 2021 stats: started 10 games at LG, played in 13, HM all big ten (coaches and media)
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 4-star, #187 overall, #20 OT
    • Karsen Barnhart - Covid RS SO
      • 2021 stats: started 2 games at LG, played in 9 games at LG and LT
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 4-star, #256 overall, #23 OT
    • Keegan was very good last year should continue to improve. When he got hurt Barnhart stepped in and there was very little drop off. There is great talent and depth here.
  • OC
    • Greg Crippen - SO
      • 2021 stats: played in 6 games as a back up center
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 21, 4-star, #258 overall, #26 DL (not sure why he was ranked as a DL)
    • Raheem Anderson - RS FR
      • 2021 stats: redshirted, saw action against NIU
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 21, 4-star, #260 overall, #18 IOL (interior OL)
    • Crippen emerged as the number 2 center as a true freshman which was impressive. I'm really high on Anderson too so it will be interesting to see them battle next year. This projected could change though if the OC from UVA ends up here or if Zinter slides down to make room for Barnhart and Jones to start on the right side. We'll see what happens.
  • RG
    • Zak Zinter - Covid SO
      • 2021 stats: started 10 games, 2nd team all big ten (media), HM all big ten (coaches)
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 20, 4-star, #315 overall, #32 OT
    • Reece Atteberry - Covid SO
      • 2021 stats: appeared in 7 games as a back up.
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 20, 4-star, #406 overall, #41 IOL
  • RT
    • Trente Jones - Covid RS SO
      • 2021 stats: appeared in 12 games as the 6th OL in jumbo packages and at RT
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 4-star, #108 overall, #14 OT
    • Giovanni El Hadi - RS FR
      • 2021 stats: redshirted
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 21, 4-star, #98 overall, #12 OT
    • This is mostly just a guess but I think Jones wins the starting job and El Hadi emerges as his back up, though if Jones were to get hurt I'd expect Barnhart to slide over. I think Barnhart is going to be the 6th OL next year if he doesn't win the RT job.
Defense

We're losing a lot but we still have a lot of young talent on the roster. They will all be in year 2 in the system and I think we should see a lot of growth. Some positions are a tough to project because I'm not sure if our base will shift to adapt to our strengths. The defense will be less proven than the offense but again there will be a lot of guys with multiple years of eligibility. This list also doesn't include any true freshmen. It wouldn't at all surprise me if guys like Will Johnson, Keon Sabb, Zeke Berry, Kody Jones, Kenneth Grant, or Mason Graham make their way into the two deep.
  • DE/edge
    • Mike Morris - Covid RS SO
      • 2021 stats - 23 tackles, 1 TFL, 0.5 sacks, 1 INT
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 4-star, #365 overall, #31 edge
    • Braiden McGregor - Covid SO
      • 2021 stats: 4 tackels, 1 TFL,
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 20, 4-star, #117 overall, #17 DL
    • Morris was good this year and I think he's most likely to slide into Hutchinson's role. He's not as explosive but was very good against the run, has the ability to slide inside, and overall was a very good player for us this year. McGregor has a world of potential and should see his role expand next year.
  • DT
    • Christopher Hinton - Covid JR
      • 2021 stats: 30 tackels, 1 TFL, 1 Sack, 1 FF, 2 FR, 1 QB H
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 4-star, #36 overall, #5 DL
    • Donovan Jeter - Covid RS 6th year
      • 2021 stats: 22 tackels, 2 TFL
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 17, 4-star, #253 overall, #19 DL
    • Hinton improved so much last year and has the potential to be one of the best DTs in the conference next year. Jeter played well in spots last year would be very good depth. He might not return for a 6th year but I don't think he's a NFL guy right now so maybe he finishes his grad degree. If he does leave I think Rayshaun Benny would fill in well.
  • NG
    • Mazi Smith - Covid RS SO
      • 2021 stats: 35 tackles, All Big ten HM (coaches and media)
      • On3 recruit ranking:
    • Julius Welschof - Covid RS
      • 2021 stats: 11 tackes, .5 TFLs
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 18, 3-star, unranked
    • Smith was one of the most improved players on the team this year. I think he and Hinton have the potential to be one of the best DT combos in the country. Welschof isn't a star but provided solid depth. Guys like Iwanna, Grant, or Graham could also push to make the two deep here. I think the interior of our line should be very good going forward.
  • DE/edge
    • Jaylen Harrell - Covid SO
      • 2021 stats: 11 tackles, 2.5 TFL, 1 QBH
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 20, 4-star, #311 overall, #19 Edge
    • Kris Jenkins - Covid SO
      • 2021 stats: 15 tackels, .5 TFL, 1 QBH
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 20 3-star, #480 overall, #31 Edge
    • TJ Guy - RS FR
      • 2021 stats: 2 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 sack,
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 21, 3-star, #970 overall, #94 Edge
    • I think the opposite edge position is a little bit harder to predict. We saw Jenkins a lot against run heavy teams but it felt like his role was more similar to Hutch or Morris' where he also slide inside. So Maybe he should be listed on the other side. Harrell was playing pretty well towards the end of the year. I like his potential a lot so I could see him stepping into a starters role. TJ Guy played a limited amount of snaps but flashed some very good potential. I could see his role expanding next year as well.
  • LB
    • Junior Colson SO
      • 2021 stats: Freshman All American, 56 tackles, .5 TFL, .5 sacks, 1 FR, 3 QBH, 2 PBK
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 21, 4-star, #92 overall, #12 LB
    • Kalel Mullings Covid SO
      • 2021 stats: 11 tackles
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 20, 4-star, #131 overall, #18 LB
    • I really like the potential of the LBs going forward. Colson was very good this year as a true freshman and I think he's Michigan's next elite LB. Mullings only saw spot duty but I thought he looked pretty good as well. I know folks have been a bit down on him but he's still really young. He could be a guy who really starts to excel as a 3rd and 4th year player (assuming he doesn't transfer).
  • LB
    • Nikhai Hill-Green Covid SO
      • 2021 stats: 46 tackles, 2.0 TFL, 1 PBK
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 20, 4-star, #322 overall, #36 LB
    • Michael Barrett Covid RS JR
      • 2021 stats: 19 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sack, 1 QBH, 1 PBK
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 18, 3-star, #736 overall, #86 LB
    • Hill-Green eventually lost snaps to Colson but was pretty good for a first year starter. As he gains more experience I think we will have one of the better LB combos in the conference and perhaps the conference. The fact that they'll be back for sure in 2023 as well is really exciting. Barrett is the poster child for sticking it out. I think he is our 3rd LB next year. When we go to our jumbo packages I think he is the guy who comes on the field. When we go to our nickel package I think we see him back up Colson and Hill-Green. He is a great depth player and was playing really well at the end of the year.
  • CB
    • DJ Turner Covid RS SO
      • 2021 stats: 29 tackles, 1 TFL, 2 INT, 7 PBK
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 4-star, #383 overall, #38 CB
    • Jaden McBurrows RS FR
      • 2021 stats: 2 tackles, 1 PBK
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 3-star, #556 overall, #52 CB
    • Turner emerged as our CB 1 during the year and acquitted himself well. He should be ready to embrace that role next year and I'm excited to see how he continues to develop under Clink. The reports stated that the staff is really high on McBurrows and he played well in mop up duty this year. He might emerge as our nickel back or could slot in as the 3rd CB behind Turner and Green (note - I assume Gray is going to leave based on the mods reports).
  • CB
    • Gemon Green Covid RS JR
      • 2021 stats: 23 tackles, 1 INT, 1 PBK
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 18, 4-star, #362 overall, #42 CB
    • George Johnson Covid RS SO
      • 2021 stats: 1 tackle
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 3-star, #833 overall, #119 WR
    • Green was steadily improving before he got hurt. There are some rumbles that he might leave but there are other sites reporting he and his brother are going to stick it out. Turner and Green would be a solid starting duo. I have Johnson listed here but I wouldn't at all be surprised if we say Johnson or Pollard emerge as the back up here.
  • S
    • RJ Moten RS SO
      • 2021 stats: 33 tackles, 1 INT, 1 QBH, 3 PBK
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 4-star, #224 overall, #19 S
    • Caden Kolesar Covid RS SO
      • 2021 stats: 7 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 INT, 1 PBK
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 3-star, #2068 overall, #66 ATH
    • Moten was really good as a first year starter. He reminds me a lot of Hawkins and I think he could fill that role nicely. There is a role for Kolesar on the team but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Sabb get some snaps here. Again we have a talented, experienced, and young core here. I think Moten and Moore could emerge as one of the better safeties combos over the next few years.
  • S
    • Rod Moore SO
      • 2021 stats: 31 tackles, 1 PBK
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 21, 3-star, #475 overall, #35 S
    • Makari Paige Covid SO
      • 2021 stats: 2 tackles
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 19, 4-star, #225 overall, #20 safety (not sure if this is accurate. The database seems to be a bit off for Paige and has multiple rankings listed).
    • Moore emerged as Dax's primary back up and played well despite going through some growing pains. He's fast, has the ability to cover, and is good in run support. I'm a big believer in Clink and RB as coaches so I think they will help Moore take the next step. Paige played quite a bit as a true freshman during the Covid year but saw less snaps this year. I think he still has a lot of potential and if Moore continues to slide down in nickel packages I think Paige could see the field as a deep safety.
  • Nickel Back
    • Rod Moore SO
      • 2021 stats: 31 tackles, 1 PBK
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 21, 3-star, #475 overall, #35 S
    • Moore filled this role a bit last year so I think he has the inside track but I also wouldn't be surprise if Will Johnson or Zeke Berry saw snaps here.
  • 3rd LB
    • Michael Barrett Covid RS JR
      • 2021 stats: 19 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sack, 1 QBH, 1 PBK
      • On3 recruit ranking: class of 18, 3-star, #736 overall, #86 LB

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News