ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan 2, Michigan Tech 1 GLI game recap

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
It wasn't pretty, but it didn't have to be.

Michigan's 2-1 win over fifth-ranked Michigan Tech Sunday at Joe Louis Arena in the opening round of the Great Lakes Invitational Tournament came courtesy of goaltender Steve Racine's 40-save performance and timely scoring by Cutler Martin and Zach Hyman.

"I was seeing the puck pretty well today," Racine said. "It's always nice as a goalie when you feel like you don't have to move around all that much. The guys did a really good job letting me see shots and clearing out second opportunities."

Post-game, Michigan head coach Red Berenson likened the result to "old time Michigan hockey", only in reverse. Instead of Michigan being the victim of outplaying an opponent and being shut down by a hot goaltender, in Sunday's game Racine was the one perpetrating the thievery.

Racine's last appearance in net prior to this GLI start was in Michigan's 6-2 loss to Michigan Tech in Houghton on November 1.

"We did a lot of soul searching about our team after the first half and starting with our goals against," said Berenson. "We talked about (Zach) Nagelvoort, he's played the last eight games in a row. Won six of them, but we've given up too many goals, too many bad goals, including in Boston. I just didn't think our goalie played as well as their goalie, whether he was getting tired or needed a breather or needed a wakeup call, I don't know. But on the flip side, Steve Racine hasn't been given a good chance - since we played up at Michigan Tech, where our team really got embarrassed. Nagelvoort got to play every game after that. I thought it was time Racine got back in net."

"I've seen him (Racine) play well at Joe Louis (Arena)," continued Berenson. "I've seen him take the team on his back two years ago when we nearly went to the (NCAA) tournament based on his game here against Notre Dame. Racine has shown glimpses he can be a good goalie. I think he's more mature now. But I told them both after the break this job is up for grabs and we need our goalies to play better. We need our team to play better in all areas, but we need our goalies to play better."

Michigan struggled mightily out of the gate in the first period, mishandling numerous chances to clear their own defensive zone. Yet, it was Martin's lob from the left point that fooled Michigan Tech goaltender Jamie Phillips to give Michigan an early 1-0 edge. Exactly four minutes later, the Huskies' Malcolm Gould knotted the score on the only shot that eluded Racine all game.

"I can't sit here and tell you we were the better team," Berenson said. "Right from the get-go, they were all over us. But our team held up, our goalie held up and we found a way to win."

Hyman's bullet beat Phillips at 3:44 of the final period giving Racine all the margin he needed.

Having steadily improved defensively as the game progressed, Michigan played enough defense down the stretch to hold the Huskies of the scoreboard and secure the win.

Michigan Tech head coach Mel Pearson, a long-time assistant coach for Michigan under Berenson, summed the game up simply by noting that "playing a Wolverine is tough. Playing a wounded Wolverine is even tougher. A lot of credit to them."

The Wolverines will battle Michigan State, who won their opening night contest against Ferris State, in the GLI final on Monday night at 7 pm right back at Joe Louis Arena. TV coverage will be by Fox Sports Detroit Plus.

So 58 days since Racine last saw the ice, eh?

I hadn't kept track of that, but in his freshman year, the streak of good play he went on that almost got us the CCHA championship and an NCAA tourney berth was preceded by something like 44 days of idleness.

Re: So 58 days since Racine last saw the ice, eh?

Takes patience to make that plan work, doesn't it? :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT