ADVERTISEMENT

Watched some highlights of Colorado...

Honestly, congrats man. I am pissed as hell. You were absolutely right about some of your skill players and obviously Peppers is a stud. Really the difference was special teams. Our punter is the worst in college football. Super slow on the kick and couldn't punt it at all the entire game. Low, short, ugly, kicks that anybody would have taken to the house much less a top 5 NFL pick. Pretty shameful to do to a defense that outside of 2 plays played very well. Hats off to Michigan though. I thought it would be a close game and maybe it is with Liufau in the 4th.

Truthfully, you saw all of Colorado today. The good, the bad, and the ugly that our fans have to deal with. The ugly is the QB situation. Sheriron Jones going back to Tennessee 2 weeks after coming to CU, Davis Webb heading to Cal a week before he was supposed to show up at CU, last year's backup Apsay being kicked off the team, and left with a broken footed senior QB with absolutely no backup. Sigh... anyway, congrats Michigan fans. Now go win the national title (coming from a native Michigan man)!
Your guys were basically exactly what you said there were. They weren't on level with our guys, but had the talent level been even, that game was even. If you bring some talent in, you have a shot to compete in the Pac12. Best of luck, you were gun to watch.

Also a huge difference was when we put Rashan Gary on our 1st string DL. We landed the top player on the country and that level of talent showed. It's a type of talent you can't coach.

Props to your team, you did a great job today. Your d had us baffled early.

I take some of that back. Coaching killed us. Shay Fields just said the whole team gave up after Sefo got hurt. Everyone hung their heads and quit because they knew the backup was bad and couldn't run the offense. Defense stopped having faith and everyone mailed it in. Thus, nevermind, it seems our coaches blew this one. Should have rallied the troops like Harbaugh did. Good grief! Good luck on the year guys. Same old CU football...

Figured out how to scheme the offense? He just threw a long TD bomb. That flea flicker that the backup QB was in on was W-I-D-E open to Shay Fields in the middle of the field. He was literally all alone and even the announcer gulped. Our backup literally never looked due to peeing down his pants completely. You guys were definitely better defensively down the stretch, but a healthy Sefo would have kept you off balance with the correct audibles and reads that the backup couldn't make. I guess we'll never know but there were points there to be taken. Points I think Sefo would have managed. I think that game goes down to the wire simply because we would have moved the ball out of the danger zone at the very least and thus had been scored on less.

Personally, I think our loss falls more on our special teams or lack thereof than defensive adjustments. The adjustments were good, but punting killed us. It's why a team like Utah with an all American punter can hang on in games like that while CU loses them.

I think Michigan will be alright. I think you guys still underestimate CU. We definitely have talent, just not enough depth to battle a team such as yours down the stretch. There are some holes in your scheme, but it remains to be seen who can exploit them. CU has some guys on defense that can play. Tight covering, fast, CBs, a stud DB of our own, and a couple of really big, tough, guys in the trenches who can swallow up an OL. You may not see better defenders than Tupou, Kafovalu, and Awuzie the rest of the year. Defensively, as you say, you were down a CB against a team with 3 really quality WRs. We will burn many teams with our WRs if Sefo can get himself healthy again. I think you will find we are a lot better than you think and that you have fewer holes than you perceive.
Just to clarify, our All-American CB and our 1B DE missed the game, just as big a loss as your QB going down, except UM has the depth to cover those losses. You guys played out of your minds, but with your QB on the field and our two guys on as well, this game is not nearly that close. Even with knocking Speight around he still managed to get UM in position to score 34 pts on offense and should have had 40. Great game, I think Colorado makes some noise in the Pac 10.

Figured out how to scheme the offense? He just threw a long TD bomb. That flea flicker that the backup QB was in on was W-I-D-E open to Shay Fields in the middle of the field. He was literally all alone and even the announcer gulped. Our backup literally never looked due to peeing down his pants completely. You guys were definitely better defensively down the stretch, but a healthy Sefo would have kept you off balance with the correct audibles and reads that the backup couldn't make. I guess we'll never know but there were points there to be taken. Points I think Sefo would have managed. I think that game goes down to the wire simply because we would have moved the ball out of the danger zone at the very least and thus had been scored on less.

Personally, I think our loss falls more on our special teams or lack thereof than defensive adjustments. The adjustments were good, but punting killed us. It's why a team like Utah with an all American punter can hang on in games like that while CU loses them.

I think Michigan will be alright. I think you guys still underestimate CU. We definitely have talent, just not enough depth to battle a team such as yours down the stretch. There are some holes in your scheme, but it remains to be seen who can exploit them. CU has some guys on defense that can play. Tight covering, fast, CBs, a stud DB of our own, and a couple of really big, tough, guys in the trenches who can swallow up an OL. You may not see better defenders than Tupou, Kafovalu, and Awuzie the rest of the year. Defensively, as you say, you were down a CB against a team with 3 really quality WRs. We will burn many teams with our WRs if Sefo can get himself healthy again. I think you will find we are a lot better than you think and that you have fewer holes than you perceive.
On the long pass...the fact that your qb was injured suckered UM. That flea flicker...could have worked but if you look at the last 20 minutes or so of your starting qb...the defense was shutting Colorado down.

Here is where I think both of us would agree. Let me know :). That both teams if they played again would know exactly what to expect. I know UM would definitely pay much more attention to your wr's and not have the same gameplan for Colorado. It was a terrible game plan.

I know Colorado would basically do the same thing against UM. There is a reason UM outscored Colorado 38-7 after it got down even with the big Colorado play. I am not saying some of those points UM got wasn't fortunate...like with Darboh or Smith. I think Colorado could hold UM down offensively but UM would do the same with Colorado.

UM has a huge flaw with the running game. You were absolutely correct...Colorado is much better than a 20 pt spread. I would see another game on a neutral field as being something like 24-17 UM. A clearly better team but no that much better since you are weaker in the trenches.

Here is one last thing that you are overlooking. You probably don't appreciate how good Lewis is at corner. He is a pre-season All American and in fact I would call him our 2nd best player on the team. He would be able to cover Fields. Colorado showed UM and it's fans that Lewis is absolutely needed to beat the better teams.

I still don't agree with you on some level. Colorado is good. They have some fantastic players but Colorado would lose to UM 8-9 times to UM on a neutral field.

As I mentioned...if you had the MSU rb and a Wiscy line...Colorado would be just as good. You guys deserve to be respected.

RM

I take some of that back. Coaching killed us. Shay Fields just said the whole team gave up after Sefo got hurt. Everyone hung their heads and quit because they knew the backup was bad and couldn't run the offense. Defense stopped having faith and everyone mailed it in. Thus, nevermind, it seems our coaches blew this one. Should have rallied the troops like Harbaugh did. Good grief! Good luck on the year guys. Same old CU football...
You guys still played well, you were fun to watch. Sefo was on point with those deep balls. Early on I think Speight was jealous or something, he was throwing prayers that seemed to be in response to the bombs from Sefo. Having a solid mobile qb Is blessing and curse,we know from experience.

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
On the long pass...the fact that your qb was injured suckered UM. That flea flicker...could have worked but if you look at the last 20 minutes or so of your starting qb...the defense was shutting Colorado down.

This would be true if he wasn't hitting that all day. CU made halftime adjustments of its own and actually was moving the ball. Not really giving credit where it was due but Sefo getting hurt so early is understandable, but we weren't down at that time. We were actually winning. We're not going to see eye to eye on that one. The flea flicker just exemplified how bad things got for CU. Even with a player so wide open he could walk in, we didn't spot him and threw to a guy in triple coverage. Again, we were moving the ball well enough to get out of the back of our endzone which would have helped keep the score close. I think you guys lucked out with that one and I doubt anyone in the stadium was feeling as comfortable as you were before Sefo's injury.

Here is where I think both of us would agree. Let me know :). That both teams if they played again would know exactly what to expect. I know UM would definitely pay much more attention to your wr's and not have the same gameplan for Colorado. It was a terrible game plan.

I know Colorado would basically do the same thing against UM. There is a reason UM outscored Colorado 38-7 after it got down even with the big Colorado play. I am not saying some of those points UM got wasn't fortunate...like with Darboh or Smith. I think Colorado could hold UM down offensively but UM would do the same with Colorado.

Why would Colorado so the same? Colorado would have certainly made adjustments in the kicking game which could have negated 21 points or more. I think both teams would do some things differently and other things the same. It would have been a chess match all the same. Difficult to say really. I do think this is a game Michigan should win. It's at home against a team that is 1 or 2 players away from being dangerous. I 100% agree with that and thought this before the game.

UM has a huge flaw with the running game. You were absolutely correct...Colorado is much better than a 20 pt spread. I would see another game on a neutral field as being something like 24-17 UM. A clearly better team but no that much better since you are weaker in the trenches.

I would actually expect something like that. Both teams made some ugly mistakes. Not sure what the point differential would be on a neutral field. I would hope that we would punt the ball better at the very least. Michigan would have some defenders back which would make it tougher for us on offense. I could certainly see something like that. Then again, I think the score is a 3 point game either way if Sefo had stayed in. His importance to the team can't really be understated. Losing a QB is far different than losing a CB. It's not just that he touches the ball every snap, but he's the emotional leader of the team. They rise and fall emotionally based on his leadership.

Here is one last thing that you are overlooking. You probably don't appreciate how good Lewis is at corner. He is a pre-season All American and in fact I would call him our 2nd best player on the team. He would be able to cover Fields. Colorado showed UM and it's fans that Lewis is absolutely needed to beat the better teams.

I still don't agree with you on some level. Colorado is good. They have some fantastic players but Colorado would lose to UM 8-9 times to UM on a neutral field.

I'm sure he would have played Fields better than your other guy. I can appreciate that. Our #1 WR was out for the season with an ACL. He was a guy that can beat press coverage with his size and superior speed. Lewis being out kind of evened things out in that regard.

As I mentioned...if you had the MSU rb and a Wiscy line...Colorado would be just as good. You guys deserve to be respected.

As I said before, I don't disagree with that statement at all and think it's spot on. Like I said, Lindsay isn't a bad runner, just doesn't have the game breaking ability. He's a guy good enough to beat a mid level P5 team (but not a team nearly as good as Michigan). A game breaking RB would do wonders for this team and we wouldn't be so QB focused. The Wiscy line would do wonders as well. It's clearly where CU is lacking recruiting wise and hopefully we shore that up next year... along with finding a QB.

I actually think Michigan will do very well this year. B1G is there for the taking. Nebraska had a huge win but probably should have lost if not for stupid Oregon 2 point conversion coaching. Iowa will be no problem and Wisconsin shouldn't be either. Just beat Ohio State and Michigan State and you guys are golden.

Hey Scavenger,

Just wanted to let you know I re-watched the game. I wanted to tell you (hopefully you read) that Colorado was much closer to winning the game that I realized and thank goodness you have mediocre special teams.

1. You outcoached us early and you won the first 1.5 quarters.
2. You should have scored on that flea flicker. You pulled out all the stops.

Now here is where we disagree. Colorado could have won that game but if Lewis is healthy the next time with 'our' DC having realized he can't defend your wr's with certain safeties then I think the game is a 10 pt plus spread.

Bottom line....Colorado earned and took the respect from UM fans. You were absolutely closer to winning that game. Better punter and Colorado may very well have pulled off the upset.

RM

Hey Scavenger,

Just wanted to let you know I re-watched the game. I wanted to tell you (hopefully you read) that Colorado was much closer to winning the game that I realized and thank goodness you have mediocre special teams.

1. You outcoached us early and you won the first 1.5 quarters.
2. You should have scored on that flea flicker. You pulled out all the stops.

Now here is where we disagree. Colorado could have won that game but if Lewis is healthy the next time with 'our' DC having realized he can't defend your wr's with certain safeties then I think the game is a 10 pt plus spread.

Bottom line....Colorado earned and took the respect from UM fans. You were absolutely closer to winning that game. Better punter and Colorado may very well have pulled off the upset.
RM

I rewatched it as well and the game really turned when our best LB/DE McCartney got hurt in the 2nd quarter. Your QB had room to roll out, get up field, and throw with authority and our defense could do little about it. I'm not complaining though. You guys are a likely college football playoff team. Going tit for tat for a half in the big house against a team as strong as yours may have done more for CU than most of us CU fans realized.

For instance, we just beat Oregon in Autzen playing a lot of backups including the backup QB that went 0 for 7 against you guys. We may very well put the hammer to all of these Pac XII teams not named Stanford. This is a completely different CU team than we've seen since Barnett was coaching.

If you guys somehow don't make the college playoffs, I hope we play you again in the Rose Bowl. :cool:

The best part after this game: Jim Harbaugh 2-Colorado athletic department 0. Owned!!!
1-1. Few would disagree with that. The lack of a depth chart didn't hurt CU in any way and just gave us a bunch of free publicity in the coolest way.

I rewatched it as well and the game really turned when our best LB/DE McCartney got hurt in the 2nd quarter. Your QB had room to roll out, get up field, and throw with authority and our defense could do little about it. I'm not complaining though. You guys are a likely college football playoff team. Going tit for tat for a half in the big house against a team as strong as yours may have done more for CU than most of us CU fans realized.

For instance, we just beat Oregon in Autzen playing a lot of backups including the backup QB that went 0 for 7 against you guys. We may very well put the hammer to all of these Pac XII teams not named Stanford. This is a completely different CU team than we've seen since Barnett was coaching.

If you guys somehow don't make the college playoffs, I hope we play you again in the Rose Bowl. :cool:
Nice on handed catch. Hope your starting qb gets healthy. After UM and Oregon...teams will be looking for you. You are legit.

RM

And the best part of all this is Harbaugh is 2-0 against the Colorado athletic department. Ownership at its finest!

Not a bad analogy. I'll comment on some of the things said here.

The QB is Liufau who is anything but intimidated by anyone on your team. You probably don't know this cat very well but he stood up to Anthony Barr as a true freshman after the guy tried to take his head off. He's been well respected by everyone in the Pac 12 since then. He's a senior now and has seen talent the likes of Stanford, Oregon, USC, UCLA, and Washington along with others. Michigan is very good but some of those teams were in the college football playoffs and have had multiple draft picks and all pro players in the NFL already. This isn't a guy who scares easily or at all really.

Your other reads on him were actually pretty good. He has decent legs, but isn't going to blow you away with runs. He is big and will run over you, but not around you. Coming off a major foot injury, I don't actually look for him to run a ton in this one. He is very streaky as a passer. He is either on or off. When he is on, CU is very good. When he is off, well, you get the picture. His penchant previously was to throw the pick 6 when the game was on the line. CU is known to be in the games late into the 4th only to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory with a bonehead mistake. We're hoping that changes this year.

Secondly, we're not UCF. UCF is more like a faster CSU. I mean, they were 0-12 in the friggin' American for a reason last year including losses to Furman and Tulane. Ouch! I'm sure they'll rebound this year but they are not as talented as CU, nor as big.

Yes, our RBs and WRs are small and a bit shifty. Our RBs are pedestrian IMO. They will need great games for CU to have a shot IMO. Our best RB, Adkins, hasn't played yet this year. We'll need him. Lindsay is actually a very solid RB, but he's not going to take one to the house. Lee is the only other RB on the roster that has a chance of doing anything but he's more of a receiving threat who needs space to do things. Lost our best big play threat, Carr, in the off season which was unfortunate.

Our WR crew is good at the starting 3 but there is not much depth after that. We lost a stud to an ACL injury unfortunately so like RB, we're down a top player. Shay Fields has plenty of speed but is not super dynamic but a very steady WR who will get his yards. Devin Ross in the slot is very fast and strong, but is only 5'9" (in cleats). He is tough to bring down though and runs like a RB. His problem has been his hands in the past but has only 1 drop this year. He can definitely be a problem in 1 on 1 situations. The 3rd WR Bobo is our "big" WR. He also has the best hands on the team. He is also the best blocker. He is not a long ball WR but tends to get big catches because he runs good routes and catches with a large radius.

Biggest trouble will be the OL. I just don't know if we can block your DL/front 7. This is probably where the game turns for CU. We don't have the talent in the trenches to compete with a top 10 team like Michigan. This is the next evolution in our program. We need better linemen and they are on the way.

On defense, you guys are way underestimating us. The defense is actually legit. We have our own Peppers in a guy named Chidobe Awuzie. Get to know the name because you'll hear it called a lot. He will be drafted early in next year's draft. He has the speed of a CB but hits like a LB. Plays all over and might be the Pac 12's best defender. Tedric Thompson at safety is another guy who will be All Pac 12 and has a shot at the league. Rangy safety who plays well in space and tackles well. We have a mammoth NT names Josh Tupou who is just getting his legs back after being suspended last year. He has made the biggest difference from this year's team to last year's. He is another sure fire NFL draft pick and would have gone high last year if not suspended. Very lucky to get him back this year. His fellow defensive linemen in the 3-4 are big and mobile. Our CBs are tall and fast and a bit underrated. Oliver is a track star and can run with the best of them. Witherspoon is a ball hawk. Neither are big tacklers so this game will be interesting to see if Michigan challenges on the edges with underneath throws and runs to the outside. CU likes to man up on the outside with the speed we have there and let Chidobe and Thompson clean up the tackling. With Leavitt as the head coach, it is a well coached defense and CU's only real shot at winning. They have to keep the score low for CU to have a chance at winning. It's not out of the question with that group though. I don't see them rolling over.

Special teams outside of DL play is the other part that has improved a great deal this year for CU. We have more touchbacks in 2 games than we had all of last year. Gonzales has a huge leg and kicks off well. His field goals have been great thus far as well. Punting is greatly improved with our sophomore punter who struggled early as a true frosh last year. We're covering better this year as well.

All in all, this is a much more solid CU team than we've had in a long time... probably since the 2010 squad that beat Georgia and was 1 decent head coach away from a fine season. We're definitely nothing like UCF. Also, I wouldn't take too much out of those Idaho State highlights. CU's 1st team offense scored a TD on all but 1 possession and was up 49-0 before the half. Could have been 100-0 if not for some generous substitution and play calling. It was the most vanilla I've seen CU in some time. Really haven't shown much of the new offense because of the poor opponents we've played. I imagine both CU and MU will be unleashing a lot of different looks come Saturday.

Thought I would 'dust' this old thread off.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...r-6round-mock-draft-browns-take-trubisky-no-1

Looked at NFL.com's mock draft.

Peppers (MU) - Round 1 #17
Awuzie (CU) - Round 1 #29
Charlton (MU) - Round 2 #37
Wormley (MU) - Round 2 #55
Butt (MU) - Round 3 #68
Witherspoon (CU) - Round 3 #83
Lewis (MU) - Round 4 #121
Darboh (MU) - Round 5 #165
Hill (MU) - Round 5 #183
Thompson (CU) - Round 6 #188
Gilbert (CU) - Round 6 #190
Glasgow (MU) - Round 6 #194
Braden (MU) - Round 6 #206

Interesting to see where all this lined up after the season was over after our conversations last fall.

Thought I would 'dust' this old thread off.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...r-6round-mock-draft-browns-take-trubisky-no-1

Looked at NFL.com's mock draft.

Peppers (MU) - Round 1 #17
Awuzie (CU) - Round 1 #29
Charlton (MU) - Round 2 #37
Wormley (MU) - Round 2 #55
Butt (MU) - Round 3 #68
Witherspoon (CU) - Round 3 #83
Lewis (MU) - Round 4 #121
Darboh (MU) - Round 5 #165
Hill (MU) - Round 5 #183
Thompson (CU) - Round 6 #188
Gilbert (CU) - Round 6 #190
Glasgow (MU) - Round 6 #194
Braden (MU) - Round 6 #206

Interesting to see where all this lined up after the season was over after our conversations last fall.

Hope coach Macintyre turns it back around at Colorado! He has been a good coach and I think he will be able to get CU back to being competitive again!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT