ADVERTISEMENT

Watched some highlights of Colorado...

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
their qb can throw a decent long ball. They have some speedy wr's. Reminds me a little of a RR team in all honesty.

I understand the 20 pt spread because Colorado looks like a well coached but small/quick team. Looks maybe like a much less talented Oregon team or some version of UCF. Better passer...better offense but not quite as tough of a defense.

Something tells me that teams are going to respect Speight a little more after last week so UM should get a chance to show everyone whether they can truly run the ball. If UM doesn't blow coverages and keeps their assignments then I would assume they will keep Colorado in check.

See something like 45-13.

RM

their qb can throw a decent long ball. They have some speedy wr's. Reminds me a little of a RR team in all honesty.

I understand the 20 pt spread because Colorado looks like a well coached but small/quick team. Looks maybe like a much less talented Oregon team or some version of UCF. Better passer...better offense but not quite as tough of a defense.

Something tells me that teams are going to respect Speight a little more after last week so UM should get a chance to show everyone whether they can truly run the ball. If UM doesn't blow coverages and keeps their assignments then I would assume they will keep Colorado in check.

RM
AGP, I note from the highlights:
1. QB had and took a lot of time on those long passes. Will not have that option on Saturday.
2. The RBs and WRs look small, a bit shifty, but not particularly fast. Same with QB who looks in the spread to have some decent legs, but nothing that will kill you.
3. Lots and lots of missed tackles and isolation throws vs DBs. They will significantly challenge us downfield.

I agree....the Colorado qb had all the time in the world. It looked like he was carving up a RR defense.

Something tells me that he is going to be in shock when he sees bigger, stronger, faster guys. I think he is going to make some plays but the analogy I would give is AA to major league pitching.

I honestly looked at the highlights and I wasn't thinking this is some Oregon or OSU offense. It looks like RR athletes.

We will see but I would be surprised if this game is closer than 20 pts and if it is and Colorado even comes close to winning this game or wins it...I will be on this board like UCF guy and will say I was wrong.

RM

I agree....the Colorado qb had all the time in the world. It looked like he was carving up a RR defense.

Something tells me that he is going to be in shock when he sees bigger, stronger, faster guys. I think he is going to make some plays but the analogy I would give is AA to major league pitching.

I honestly looked at the highlights and I wasn't thinking this is some Oregon or OSU offense. It looks like RR athletes.

We will see but I would be surprised if this game is closer than 20 pts and if it is and Colorado even comes close to winning this game or wins it...I will be on this board like UCF guy and will say I was wrong.

RM
I think UM comes with a chippy defense trying to prove last week's big gainers were an anomaly.

Reactions: Tabularasa
Harbaugh spoke very highly of their DC. A guy who he coached with at SF i believe. Said they should be physical, well coached, etc. He wouldn't step out and say those things just to compliment a coach. Maybe they hold us to 28-34 point if so.

Still, our defense should cause some turnovers. They wont see another defense as physical as ours until they play Stanford. This could lead to points too..

Reactions: detroitjohn
AGP, I note from the highlights:
1. QB had and took a lot of time on those long passes. Will not have that option on Saturday.
2. The RBs and WRs look small, a bit shifty, but not particularly fast. Same with QB who looks in the spread to have some decent legs, but nothing that will kill you.
3. Lots and lots of missed tackles and isolation throws vs DBs. They will significantly challenge us downfield.

Not a bad analogy. I'll comment on some of the things said here.

The QB is Liufau who is anything but intimidated by anyone on your team. You probably don't know this cat very well but he stood up to Anthony Barr as a true freshman after the guy tried to take his head off. He's been well respected by everyone in the Pac 12 since then. He's a senior now and has seen talent the likes of Stanford, Oregon, USC, UCLA, and Washington along with others. Michigan is very good but some of those teams were in the college football playoffs and have had multiple draft picks and all pro players in the NFL already. This isn't a guy who scares easily or at all really.

Your other reads on him were actually pretty good. He has decent legs, but isn't going to blow you away with runs. He is big and will run over you, but not around you. Coming off a major foot injury, I don't actually look for him to run a ton in this one. He is very streaky as a passer. He is either on or off. When he is on, CU is very good. When he is off, well, you get the picture. His penchant previously was to throw the pick 6 when the game was on the line. CU is known to be in the games late into the 4th only to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory with a bonehead mistake. We're hoping that changes this year.

Secondly, we're not UCF. UCF is more like a faster CSU. I mean, they were 0-12 in the friggin' American for a reason last year including losses to Furman and Tulane. Ouch! I'm sure they'll rebound this year but they are not as talented as CU, nor as big.

Yes, our RBs and WRs are small and a bit shifty. Our RBs are pedestrian IMO. They will need great games for CU to have a shot IMO. Our best RB, Adkins, hasn't played yet this year. We'll need him. Lindsay is actually a very solid RB, but he's not going to take one to the house. Lee is the only other RB on the roster that has a chance of doing anything but he's more of a receiving threat who needs space to do things. Lost our best big play threat, Carr, in the off season which was unfortunate.

Our WR crew is good at the starting 3 but there is not much depth after that. We lost a stud to an ACL injury unfortunately so like RB, we're down a top player. Shay Fields has plenty of speed but is not super dynamic but a very steady WR who will get his yards. Devin Ross in the slot is very fast and strong, but is only 5'9" (in cleats). He is tough to bring down though and runs like a RB. His problem has been his hands in the past but has only 1 drop this year. He can definitely be a problem in 1 on 1 situations. The 3rd WR Bobo is our "big" WR. He also has the best hands on the team. He is also the best blocker. He is not a long ball WR but tends to get big catches because he runs good routes and catches with a large radius.

Biggest trouble will be the OL. I just don't know if we can block your DL/front 7. This is probably where the game turns for CU. We don't have the talent in the trenches to compete with a top 10 team like Michigan. This is the next evolution in our program. We need better linemen and they are on the way.

On defense, you guys are way underestimating us. The defense is actually legit. We have our own Peppers in a guy named Chidobe Awuzie. Get to know the name because you'll hear it called a lot. He will be drafted early in next year's draft. He has the speed of a CB but hits like a LB. Plays all over and might be the Pac 12's best defender. Tedric Thompson at safety is another guy who will be All Pac 12 and has a shot at the league. Rangy safety who plays well in space and tackles well. We have a mammoth NT names Josh Tupou who is just getting his legs back after being suspended last year. He has made the biggest difference from this year's team to last year's. He is another sure fire NFL draft pick and would have gone high last year if not suspended. Very lucky to get him back this year. His fellow defensive linemen in the 3-4 are big and mobile. Our CBs are tall and fast and a bit underrated. Oliver is a track star and can run with the best of them. Witherspoon is a ball hawk. Neither are big tacklers so this game will be interesting to see if Michigan challenges on the edges with underneath throws and runs to the outside. CU likes to man up on the outside with the speed we have there and let Chidobe and Thompson clean up the tackling. With Leavitt as the head coach, it is a well coached defense and CU's only real shot at winning. They have to keep the score low for CU to have a chance at winning. It's not out of the question with that group though. I don't see them rolling over.

Special teams outside of DL play is the other part that has improved a great deal this year for CU. We have more touchbacks in 2 games than we had all of last year. Gonzales has a huge leg and kicks off well. His field goals have been great thus far as well. Punting is greatly improved with our sophomore punter who struggled early as a true frosh last year. We're covering better this year as well.

All in all, this is a much more solid CU team than we've had in a long time... probably since the 2010 squad that beat Georgia and was 1 decent head coach away from a fine season. We're definitely nothing like UCF. Also, I wouldn't take too much out of those Idaho State highlights. CU's 1st team offense scored a TD on all but 1 possession and was up 49-0 before the half. Could have been 100-0 if not for some generous substitution and play calling. It was the most vanilla I've seen CU in some time. Really haven't shown much of the new offense because of the poor opponents we've played. I imagine both CU and MU will be unleashing a lot of different looks come Saturday.

The QB is Liufau who is anything but intimidated by anyone on your team. You probably don't know this cat very well but he stood up to Anthony Barr as a true freshman after the guy tried to take his head off. He's been well respected by everyone in the Pac 12 since then. He's a senior now and has seen talent the likes of Stanford, Oregon, USC, UCLA, and Washington along with others. Michigan is very good but some of those teams were in the college football playoffs and have had multiple draft picks and all pro players in the NFL already. This isn't a guy who scares easily or at all really.

Your other reads on him were actually pretty good. He has decent legs, but isn't going to blow you away with runs. He is big and will run over you, but not around you. Coming off a major foot injury, I don't actually look for him to run a ton in this one. He is very streaky as a passer. He is either on or off. When he is on, CU is very good. When he is off, well, you get the picture. His penchant previously was to throw the pick 6 when the game was on the line. CU is known to be in the games late into the 4th only to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory with a bonehead mistake. We're hoping that changes this year.

Secondly, we're not UCF. UCF is more like a faster CSU. I mean, they were 0-12 in the friggin' American for a reason last year including losses to Furman and Tulane. Ouch! I'm sure they'll rebound this year but they are not as talented as CU, nor as big.

Yes, our RBs and WRs are small and a bit shifty. Our RBs are pedestrian IMO. They will need great games for CU to have a shot IMO. Our best RB, Adkins, hasn't played yet this year. We'll need him. Lindsay is actually a very solid RB, but he's not going to take one to the house. Lee is the only other RB on the roster that has a chance of doing anything but he's more of a receiving threat who needs space to do things. Lost our best big play threat, Carr, in the off season which was unfortunate.

Our WR crew is good at the starting 3 but there is not much depth after that. We lost a stud to an ACL injury unfortunately so like RB, we're down a top player. Shay Fields has plenty of speed but is not super dynamic but a very steady WR who will get his yards. Devin Ross in the slot is very fast and strong, but is only 5'9" (in cleats). He is tough to bring down though and runs like a RB. His problem has been his hands in the past but has only 1 drop this year. He can definitely be a problem in 1 on 1 situations. The 3rd WR Bobo is our "big" WR. He also has the best hands on the team. He is also the best blocker. He is not a long ball WR but tends to get big catches because he runs good routes and catches with a large radius.

Biggest trouble will be the OL. I just don't know if we can block your DL/front 7. This is probably where the game turns for CU. We don't have the talent in the trenches to compete with a top 10 team like Michigan. This is the next evolution in our program. We need better linemen and they are on the way.

On defense, you guys are way underestimating us. The defense is actually legit. We have our own Peppers in a guy named Chidobe Awuzie. Get to know the name because you'll hear it called a lot. He will be drafted early in next year's draft. He has the speed of a CB but hits like a LB. Plays all over and might be the Pac 12's best defender. Tedric Thompson at safety is another guy who will be All Pac 12 and has a shot at the league. Rangy safety who plays well in space and tackles well. We have a mammoth NT names Josh Tupou who is just getting his legs back after being suspended last year. He has made the biggest difference from this year's team to last year's. He is another sure fire NFL draft pick and would have gone high last year if not suspended. Very lucky to get him back this year. His fellow defensive linemen in the 3-4 are big and mobile. Our CBs are tall and fast and a bit underrated. Oliver is a track star and can run with the best of them. Witherspoon is a ball hawk. Neither are big tacklers so this game will be interesting to see if Michigan challenges on the edges with underneath throws and runs to the outside. CU likes to man up on the outside with the speed we have there and let Chidobe and Thompson clean up the tackling. With Leavitt as the head coach, it is a well coached defense and CU's only real shot at winning. They have to keep the score low for CU to have a chance at winning. It's not out of the question with that group though. I don't see them rolling over.

Special teams outside of DL play is the other part that has improved a great deal this year for CU. We have more touchbacks in 2 games than we had all of last year. Gonzales has a huge leg and kicks off well. His field goals have been great thus far as well. Punting is greatly improved with our sophomore punter who struggled early as a true frosh last year. We're covering better this year as well.

All in all, this is a much more solid CU team than we've had in a long time... probably since the 2010 squad that beat Georgia and was 1 decent head coach away from a fine season. We're definitely nothing like UCF. Also, I wouldn't take too much out of those Idaho State highlights. CU's 1st team offense scored a TD on all but 1 possession and was up 49-0 before the half. Could have been 100-0 if not for some generous substitution and play calling. It was the most vanilla I've seen CU in some time. Really haven't shown much of the new offense because of the poor opponents we've played. I imagine both CU and MU will be unleashing a lot of different looks come Saturday.
This will be the best defensive line Liufau will have faced, possibly in his career. Any one of the 7-8 guys we play on the DL has the ability to get to him for a sack, and we'll also be bringing pressure from the edges. If Colorado wants to succeed, they'll likely need to rely on a quick passing game. Tanner Mangum of BYU can attest to this. He threw for over 200 yards in every game he started last year, except Michigan, where he threw for 55 yards. It will be interesting to see how Colorado adjusts to the pressure they face.

I'm sure your defense is pretty good, but we have weapons galore. We have 3 pass catchers who will be playing on Sundays next year in Jehu Chesson, Amara Darboh, and Jake Butt. If they receive any extra attention, guys like Grant Perry will be open. We also have some speedy freshmen who have already made some big plays, and will be a factor as well.

We're right with you on the substitutions, playcalling, and taking the foot off the pedal. Against UCF, we were up 31-0 after 18 minutes, and we basically coasted from there. After a pick on our first throw, we scored a TD on every single possession against Hawaii. I know of multiple formations that haven't seen the light of (Satur)day, we also have plenty we haven't showed.

I definitely think CU will be the best team we have played this year, but we beat unranked teams by an average of 22 last year, and we're definitely better this year than last.

Reactions: Bat Masterson

Good post! Thank you for sharing your insights!

Glad to hear from a Colorado fan. I hope they at least test UM in certain areas. I want UM to start getting some resistance to get ready for Wiscy and others.

I think the Col qb can throw a decent long pass but as the other UM poster said the front is going to be a major problem for Colorado. UM is going to be in his face most of the time and isn't really going to have the time to throw deep balls unless he scrambles.

When I watch the qb...he isn't Donovan McNabb or Dennis Dixon plus even during those beatings that UM took they didn't have the speed and power of this defense even not at full strength. From what I see on film...UM is just way more talented.

Anything can happen and for all I know UM will lose a few games this year. I don't know how Speight and the OL are going to respond to teams on the road. That being said...this team has a lot more talent than even most 'experts' recognize. It is loaded and if Harbaugh can get this team to work out the problems and get better performance by some positions then it has the talent to beat almost anybody including OSU and Alabama on any given day. Maybe not 50% of the time but if Alabama plays their B- game and UM plays their A game.

RM

Glad to hear from a Colorado fan. I hope they at least test UM in certain areas. I want UM to start getting some resistance to get ready for Wiscy and others.

I think the Col qb can throw a decent long pass but as the other UM poster said the front is going to be a major problem for Colorado. UM is going to be in his face most of the time and isn't really going to have the time to throw deep balls unless he scrambles.

When I watch the qb...he isn't Donovan McNabb or Dennis Dixon plus even during those beatings that UM took they didn't have the speed and power of this defense even not at full strength. From what I see on film...UM is just way more talented.

Anything can happen and for all I know UM will lose a few games this year. I don't know how Speight and the OL are going to respond to teams on the road. That being said...this team has a lot more talent than even most 'experts' recognize. It is loaded and if Harbaugh can get this team to work out the problems and get better performance by some positions then it has the talent to beat almost anybody including OSU and Alabama on any given day. Maybe not 50% of the time but if Alabama plays their B- game and UM plays their A game.

RM
I hear the point that was made that the Colorado defense is better than anticipated by us fans. That may very well be true and would love to see UM actually have to get a great performance from the run blockers but as the poster said above (this is where the 'experts' are wrong) the most underrated part of this team is the wr's and the TE. Chesson, Darboh and Butt are very very good. Like top 3 in the nation and then throw in Perry/McDoom and as long as the qb can deliver ball the opponent better either have really good db's or can get pressure on the qb.

These wr's of UM (never could have imagined this a few years ago) plus Butt are as good of a tandem as UM may have EVER had at one time. Can you name 3 receiving pass catchers as good as a group?

That is my challenge. Howard/Alexander and....? Not saying this hasn't happened but refresh my memory.

RM

So I watched a little of the Colorado defensive preview. The one corner/safety...names escapes me but he is definitely high level talent. Very impressed. That being said...I love this matchup for UM because we are all going to see if Kalis is right or wrong.

UM will be able to run the ball if they are any good. They can avoid the star of the Colorado defense by recognizing where he is on the field. It's put up or shut up time for all the UM oline supporters. This defensive line is blockable and Colorado is not going to stack the box every time after last week.

Love it. Here is my prediction. Bredeson will take over the job by the time this game is over at left guard. UM should run for close to 200 yards. Put up or shut up time. Evans will have close to 100 yards rushing. I see Higdon also making a surprise impact.

RM

This will be the best defensive line Liufau will have faced, possibly in his career. Any one of the 7-8 guys we play on the DL has the ability to get to him for a sack, and we'll also be bringing pressure from the edges. If Colorado wants to succeed, they'll likely need to rely on a quick passing game. Tanner Mangum of BYU can attest to this. He threw for over 200 yards in every game he started last year, except Michigan, where he threw for 55 yards. It will be interesting to see how Colorado adjusts to the pressure they face.

Quite possibly the best defensive line, but I don't know. USC has had some nasty DL's (ever heard of Leonard Williams) and Stanford has been the standard bearer on the DL in college football for a bit. I'm not quite sure I'm convinced that yours will be the best as you seem to have very little respect for the west coast but I know it will be an elite DL. I'm definitely worried because CU's OL, IMO, is it's weakest position. I'm definitely not convinced we can block anybody. We may better up front, but OL is our Achilles heel.

Also, BYU is a pretty bad comparison as well. Dude, we play in the Pac 12. A league that sent 10 teams to bowl games. Every week is a battle. BYU doesn't see that every week. CU will be ready to battle and yes the QB will have pressure in his face all game. If he isn't used to that by game 32 or whatever it is, then not sure what to say. Any comparison to BYU or USF or whatever is poorly understood of what you are going to see.

I'm sure your defense is pretty good, but we have weapons galore. We have 3 pass catchers who will be playing on Sundays next year in Jehu Chesson, Amara Darboh, and Jake Butt. If they receive any extra attention, guys like Grant Perry will be open. We also have some speedy freshmen who have already made some big plays, and will be a factor as well.

OK, let's pump the breaks a bit. You definitely have some excellent skill players. You're hilarious if you don't think we'll see excellent skill players all season. JuJu Smith Schuster is the highest rated WR in college football and a potential top 5 pick. Score: USC 27; CU 24. Oregon's Carrington is rated right there with Chesson. We'll see Christian McCafree, Freeman, Kalen Ballage just had a record 8 TDs for ASU. Tons of talent in the Pac 12. Michigan is right up there with them, but it's not unlike things we've seen the last 3 years. Again, it's more of the same and CU ought to be used to playing against it by now. I'm not saying it will be extremely tough, but know that you're getting a fairly battle tested P5 team, not some directional club coming in for a payday.

We're right with you on the substitutions, playcalling, and taking the foot off the pedal. Against UCF, we were up 31-0 after 18 minutes, and we basically coasted from there. After a pick on our first throw, we scored a TD on every single possession against Hawaii. I know of multiple formations that haven't seen the light of (Satur)day, we also have plenty we haven't showed.

I definitely think CU will be the best team we have played this year, but we beat unranked teams by an average of 22 last year, and we're definitely better this year than last.

Michigan at Utah last year - 24 - 17
CU at Utah last year - 20-14

Just a reminder that we're not patsies. We've played many tough teams down to the wire. You don't expect much. I get it. Hopefully we've completely changed your mind by Sunday.

So I watched a little of the Colorado defensive preview. The one corner/safety...names escapes me but he is definitely high level talent. Very impressed. That being said...I love this matchup for UM because we are all going to see if Kalis is right or wrong.

UM will be able to run the ball if they are any good. They can avoid the star of the Colorado defense by recognizing where he is on the field. It's put up or shut up time for all the UM oline supporters. This defensive line is blockable and Colorado is not going to stack the box every time after last week.

Love it. Here is my prediction. Bredeson will take over the job by the time this game is over at left guard. UM should run for close to 200 yards. Put up or shut up time. Evans will have close to 100 yards rushing. I see Higdon also making a surprise impact.
RM

The guys to look for defensively for CU:

#4 - Chidobe Awuzie. He should be a household name, but our losing ways have made him a virtual unknown. Pac 12 coaches know who he is as some have said he's the best defender in the league. Again, you'll see him play a very similar role as Peppers. He's a better prospect than Jimmy Smith was for CU and Smith was a 1st rounder. This is the guy you were thinking of.

#9 - Tedric Thompson. Plays all over the field as a boundary safety. CU lets him freelance and you'll see him in coverage and coming up in the box to take on the running game. Has sticky hands that get on a lot of balls.

#58 - Josh Tupou. Was thought to be a high draft pick a year ago before his year long suspension. A big, super strong, 330#, nose tackle who can clog up multiple blockers. Possibly our best defender when he's on. He's probably the biggest reason our defense has been much improved this year.

We hope those 3 are household names after this game. If UM is running for 200 yards, it's going to be a long day for us.

As far as the defense as a whole, we will have the biggest DL we've had in years going up against UM. Tupou at 330+, Carrell at 305, and Kafovalu at 300 in our 3-4 scheme are big, strong, dudes and all seniors. They are 3 big, angry, dudes who have spent more time suspended than on the field at CU it seems. It was no small miracle to have them all available to play this year. They are big, but they do tire. This is where things get a little tricky for us. We don't have great depth. Leo Jackson started 10 games for us a year ago as a 285# interior lineman and he's like the 4th starter, but beyond him, it's pretty green. Could spell trouble for us if UM wears us down.

The LBs are the weak unit for us. We play a 3-4 with 4 LBs. The outside guys are solid. Derek McCartney is a big, 260 pound, strong side OLB who generally plays more as a DE as he'll put his hand down most of the time and line up across the tackle. The weakside LB is Jimmy Gilbert who is long and very athletic. He can rush the QB very well. He's not great in run support due to his lack of size (about 240ish). Our middle linebackers are an interesting group. One of the big stories of camp was Addison Gillam being back. Freshman all american and total stud who hasn't really touched the field in 2 years due to sickness and injury. Needless to say, he hasn't looked like the stud player of old. Sadly, he's probably the missing link to make this defense something to remember. The other 2 middle linebackers, Gamboa and Olugbode, are solid but smaller LBs. Olugbode is super fast and well built, but is about 220 soaking wet. Gamboa has good instincts, which is code word for slow, overachiever.

The DBs are very good for CU this year. Aside from Thompson and Chidobe, Oliver and Witherspoon at the CB positions are fast, ball hawking, CBs who play the pass well but not necessarily the run. I assume Michigan will try to get physical with them. The other safety, Laguda (and Moeller who splits time), is good against the run but can be suspect against the pass at times. He tends to have our highlight hits but can get caught going for the big thumps and not watching the ball. Still, he will present a significant problem in the run game as he is built more like a LB and brings the heat. Will be interesting to see how Michigan plays him. I can see a lot of play action with Butts over the top to soften him up.

Quite possibly the best defensive line, but I don't know. USC has had some nasty DL's (ever heard of Leonard Williams) and Stanford has been the standard bearer on the DL in college football for a bit. I'm not quite sure I'm convinced that yours will be the best as you seem to have very little respect for the west coast but I know it will be an elite DL. I'm definitely worried because CU's OL, IMO, is it's weakest position. I'm definitely not convinced we can block anybody. We may better up front, but OL is our Achilles heel.

Also, BYU is a pretty bad comparison as well. Dude, we play in the Pac 12. A league that sent 10 teams to bowl games. Every week is a battle. BYU doesn't see that every week. CU will be ready to battle and yes the QB will have pressure in his face all game. If he isn't used to that by game 32 or whatever it is, then not sure what to say. Any comparison to BYU or USF or whatever is poorly understood of what you are going to see.

OK, let's pump the breaks a bit. You definitely have some excellent skill players. You're hilarious if you don't think we'll see excellent skill players all season. JuJu Smith Schuster is the highest rated WR in college football and a potential top 5 pick. Score: USC 27; CU 24. Oregon's Carrington is rated right there with Chesson. We'll see Christian McCafree, Freeman, Kalen Ballage just had a record 8 TDs for ASU. Tons of talent in the Pac 12. Michigan is right up there with them, but it's not unlike things we've seen the last 3 years. Again, it's more of the same and CU ought to be used to playing against it by now. I'm not saying it will be extremely tough, but know that you're getting a fairly battle tested P5 team, not some directional club coming in for a payday.

Just a reminder that we're not patsies. We've played many tough teams down to the wire. You don't expect much. I get it. Hopefully we've completely changed your mind by Sunday.
You faced one defense in the top 50 last year, Utah. You can say you've played against tough players, but defense is optional in the pac 12. We probably closest resemble Stanford out of the pac 12 for obvious reasons, and you struggled mightily. There's a reason we're favored by 20.

Reactions: Bat Masterson
You faced one defense in the top 50 last year, Utah. You can say you've played against tough players, but defense is optional in the pac 12. We probably closest resemble Stanford out of the pac 12 for obvious reasons, and you struggled mightily. There's a reason we're favored by 20.
The defensive ranking is reflective of the high powered offenses that play up tempo and push 90+ plays in a game. Stanford is a team that slows the game down and grinds things out. Most teams in the Pac 12 play up tempo though and push the pace of the game. It's not the B1G and the 3 yards and a cloud of dust. The game is faster and thus defenses give up more yards due to facing more plays without a chance of substituting.

There's a reason Saban wanted those type of offenses banned.

Exactly. And it is definitely optional defense in the pac 12. I guess 2 wins to start the season over some horrendous competition to start the year can really get people's hopes up.

I guess 2 wins to start the season over some horrendous competition to start the year can really get people's hopes up.
It's not that. It's that you're 1 out of 3 against the Pac 12 in the past 2 years yet act like the conference is nothing and there's no talent out west. It's asinine and the defensive comments just go to show how little you understand west coast football. It's probably the 2 to 3 time zone difference I suppose.

It's not that. It's that you're 1 out of 3 against the Pac 12 in the past 2 years yet act like the conference is nothing and there's no talent out west. It's asinine and the defensive comments just go to show how little you understand west coast football. It's probably the 2 to 3 time zone difference I suppose.

No..what everyone knows is how irrelevant Colorado football is. That has been pretty obvious. The time zone difference comment is pretty funny there, chief. Especially given that you have no idea where people live but like to make that assumption. Well living in Pac-12 country, I can tell you that outside of Stanford, most of the football played in the conference sucks. Colorado has been and is a bottom-feeder in a relatively weak conference. Actually, outside of Stanford, who is there anyways lol.

Nice 2-year window to try and boast the Pac-12's "dominance" over the Big 10. It is always great when you can you selective history to try and make an argument.

Reactions: ChicagoBlueFan

I wouldn't read too much into the Utah score. UM had a completely different qb to start the year. Harbaugh and staff would have won that game at Utah 2 months later in my opinion.

Now what is ironic is in my opinion the biggest flaw on this team right now is the OL (guard) and lack of consistency plus a starting rb who really is slow. He may not actually be the #1 guy but I am not sold on our OL and if you can play UM straight up with your secondary with a new qb and stop the UM running game then it should be a good game.

The problem I see is Colorado doesn't have a great DL and lb'er core but UM is less than impressive sometimes so if this game is about UM winning by defense and having trouble running the ball then the alarm bells are going to go off. If UM can't run the ball against Colorado then there are going to be a lot of disappointed people on this board.

I just don't see Colorado having the horses to win on both lines. I think UM shuts down Colorado for the most part and UM puts up 35+ points. Too many wr's on UM. The most underrated part of this team...they have 3 major receiving weapons. Colorado has 1 star who will be avoided.

I'll be surprised if it stays within 20 pts. If I am wrong...I will be the first one admitting I was wrong.

RM

Scavenger...I get your point and it is valid. That being said...this UM team is completely different than the one that played Utah. It's night and day. Let me see if I can explain HOW different.

1. There has been a year of coaching.
2. Rudock wasn't very good at Utah. This game is at home. I expect Speight to be better than Rudock at Utah.
3. Smith isn't really the starter. I'll have you a bet he will get the 2nd or 3rd most carries on Saturday.
4. Chesson has developed into a star. He wasn't nearly the player he was at Utah.
5. Darboh is healthy now. He is better. Coaching.
6. Peppers has turned into a All American.
7. The lb'ers are much better than last year.
8. Secondary is deeper assuming Lewis is healthy.
9. DL is better than at Utah. Gary. Let's call it even.

Trust me on this...Colorado may very well pull off the upset. That is why they play the game but UM isn't remotely the same team that you saw at Utah. UM has arguably All conference players in Chesson, Darboh and Butt and a top 5 national defense. That is a tough recipe to win against.

You shut the run game down and you have a punchers chance. Overplay the right side of the line and make UM beat you running on the left side.

RM

The defensive ranking is reflective of the high powered offenses that play up tempo and push 90+ plays in a game. Stanford is a team that slows the game down and grinds things out. Most teams in the Pac 12 play up tempo though and push the pace of the game. It's not the B1G and the 3 yards and a cloud of dust. The game is faster and thus defenses give up more yards due to facing more plays without a chance of substituting.

UM has played IU who (in all honesty) had better skill talent. The rb from IU last year was fabulous. On the road but again against an injured team (wasn't Glasgow out) and UM now has Peppers in his right position and better talent. IU put a lot of points on the board but it's not like UM hasn't seen a sped up offense.

Here is the problem I see on film with Colorado and its a BIG problem. Your rb's aren't anything to write home about. If Colorado had that top notch rb then we would be having a different conversation (see IU). I do understand the value of a quick offense. The fact that UM doesn't have all of DL...may help a little but they still have enough guys especially against a relatively modest rb/OL.

I just see UM blitzing the (....) out of Colorado. Your qb is going to be under unbelievable pressure. If he can complete some deep passes that will help but our secondary is good.

I think Colorado scores about 13-17 pts. Defense is tough and Colorado just isn't big enough. Take the Wiscy line along with the MSU rb along with your other guys and we have ourselves a game.

RM

No..what everyone knows is how irrelevant Colorado football is. That has been pretty obvious. The time zone difference comment is pretty funny there, chief. Especially given that you have no idea where people live but like to make that assumption. Well living in Pac-12 country, I can tell you that outside of Stanford, most of the football played in the conference sucks. Colorado has been and is a bottom-feeder in a relatively weak conference. Actually, outside of Stanford, who is there anyways lol.

Nice 2-year window to try and boast the Pac-12's "dominance" over the Big 10. It is always great when you can you selective history to try and make an argument.
I love the "pick your window" strategy. Spartoon football started in about 2010, and TUOS fans are notorious for this. He has learned well.

Reactions: PharmD Blue

RM
Nice post. The most interesting part of this to me comes down to a 3-4 defensive front. I have little confidence that our OL can pick up their assignments if a defensive player is not right in front of them. If they've gotten better as a unit then it'll be a very long day for CU. If they haven't then this game could be closer than the spread. Regardless, Speight shows no signs of struggling through the air so CU is going to need some points to keep up, how much is to be determined. Thanks for stopping in.

Yes, those Pac 12 offenses are tearing up the nation to the tune of 0 national championships since Pete Carrolls pro style offense won a few.

So you take our last season under Hoke (which was a dumpster fire) and our FIRST EVER game with Harbaugh as a sample set. Seems fair.

I'm not saying you guys suck, I don't think you do. I just think there is a reason the spread is at 20.

Blah, blah, blah... you argue like an elementary kid. The conference that sucks is 2-1 against you during that time so...

So you take our last season under Hoke (which was a dumpster fire) and our FIRST EVER game with Harbaugh as a sample set. Seems fair.

I'm not saying you guys suck, I don't think you do. I just think there is a reason the spread is at 20.
I'm sorry, were there people on your team from previous regimes?

Blah, blah, blah... you argue like an elementary kid. The conference that sucks is 2-1 against you during that time so...

Lol. Nice argument again. Blah blah blah. Getting schooled like the rest of your conference has doesn't say much. But if you want to use a 2-year window to try and argue your point, go right ahead chief. Pac-12 has been pretty irrelevant since sneaky Pete eft USC.

I wouldn't read too much into the Utah score. UM had a completely different qb to start the year. Harbaugh and staff would have won that game at Utah 2 months later in my opinion.

Now what is ironic is in my opinion the biggest flaw on this team right now is the OL (guard) and lack of consistency plus a starting rb who really is slow. He may not actually be the #1 guy but I am not sold on our OL and if you can play UM straight up with your secondary with a new qb and stop the UM running game then it should be a good game.

The problem I see is Colorado doesn't have a great DL and lb'er core but UM is less than impressive sometimes so if this game is about UM winning by defense and having trouble running the ball then the alarm bells are going to go off. If UM can't run the ball against Colorado then there are going to be a lot of disappointed people on this board.

I just don't see Colorado having the horses to win on both lines. I think UM shuts down Colorado for the most part and UM puts up 35+ points. Too many wr's on UM. The most underrated part of this team...they have 3 major receiving weapons. Colorado has 1 star who will be avoided.

I'll be surprised if it stays within 20 pts. If I am wrong...I will be the first one admitting I was wrong.
RM

One thing I'll say is that I think you are greatly underestimating CU's DL. I can understand because this is the first year we've gotten them all on the field at the same time it seems. You'll be seeing a talented DL with 3 seniors on it though. I think you will come away impressed when the time comes. LBs I don't disagree with you as far as middle LBs go. We're still not where we want to be there and this is where CU's defense really will be tested. We have our fingers crossed.

I agree you will avoid Chidobe like the plague which is why CU lines him up everywhere so teams can't key on him. It will be interesting to see how that is schemed. UM's WRs are impressive. FAR better than any we've seen thus far this year obviously! We shall see how that goes as our DBs are considered very good. We have excellent speed at CB. The key for Michigan will be to get physical with them.

As for the Utah score, heck, CU was playing QB3 and QB4 in that game due to injuries to Sefo and our backup with a concussion in the 1st quarter. Pretty sure we win that one with any QB. Don't doubt Michigan wins it later, but just showing plain and simple that we are no slouch.

I'll be shocked if Michigan goes for +35 on CU unless we have some bad turnovers or special teams errors that just put us way behind the 8 ball. Anything can happen obviously but I don't predict that.

Scavenger...I get your point and it is valid. That being said...this UM team is completely different than the one that played Utah. It's night and day. Let me see if I can explain HOW different.

1. There has been a year of coaching.
2. Rudock wasn't very good at Utah. This game is at home. I expect Speight to be better than Rudock at Utah.
3. Smith isn't really the starter. I'll have you a bet he will get the 2nd or 3rd most carries on Saturday.
4. Chesson has developed into a star. He wasn't nearly the player he was at Utah.
5. Darboh is healthy now. He is better. Coaching.
6. Peppers has turned into a All American.
7. The lb'ers are much better than last year.
8. Secondary is deeper assuming Lewis is healthy.
9. DL is better than at Utah. Gary. Let's call it even.

Trust me on this...Colorado may very well pull off the upset. That is why they play the game but UM isn't remotely the same team that you saw at Utah. UM has arguably All conference players in Chesson, Darboh and Butt and a top 5 national defense. That is a tough recipe to win against.

You shut the run game down and you have a punchers chance. Overplay the right side of the line and make UM beat you running on the left side.
RM

I'm super impressed with UM's large OL. It will be great to see CU's much improved DL go against them. I've already explained CU being down to QBs #3 and #4 against Utah and know for sure that we are far better than that team a year ago as well. My only point was that people aren't giving us enough respect, but respect is earned so I get it. I don't disagree with anything you said about Michigan being greatly improved and top 5 on defense.

UM has played IU who (in all honesty) had better skill talent. The rb from IU last year was fabulous. On the road but again against an injured team (wasn't Glasgow out) and UM now has Peppers in his right position and better talent. IU put a lot of points on the board but it's not like UM hasn't seen a sped up offense.

Here is the problem I see on film with Colorado and its a BIG problem. Your rb's aren't anything to write home about. If Colorado had that top notch rb then we would be having a different conversation (see IU). I do understand the value of a quick offense. The fact that UM doesn't have all of DL...may help a little but they still have enough guys especially against a relatively modest rb/OL.

I just see UM blitzing the (....) out of Colorado. Your qb is going to be under unbelievable pressure. If he can complete some deep passes that will help but our secondary is good.

I think Colorado scores about 13-17 pts. Defense is tough and Colorado just isn't big enough. Take the Wiscy line along with the MSU rb along with your other guys and we have ourselves a game.
RM

Pretty much what I said on the CU board so in all honesty, you are spot on. If CU had a game breaking RB, we would be a different team period. Unfortunately, Stanford got McCaffrey, ASU got Ballage, Carr transferred, and our uber talented freshman Gordon is suspended. Lindsay is underrated and you'll come to respect him, but he is not a game breaker. Lee has the speed but lacks the size. Adkins has the speed and size, but is not available. So, yeah, CU lacks the running production it needs to pull off this kind of victory. That means that CU's OL has to do the job to both protect Sefo and open big holes against a stout front 7. It will be tough sledding for sure. I think our defense will hold, but with an offense going 3 and out far too often, we'll get scored on.

I see it Mich 24-28; CU 14-17

Nice post. The most interesting part of this to me comes down to a 3-4 defensive front. I have little confidence that our OL can pick up their assignments if a defensive player is not right in front of them. If they've gotten better as a unit then it'll be a very long day for CU. If they haven't then this game could be closer than the spread. Regardless, Speight shows no signs of struggling through the air so CU is going to need some points to keep up, how much is to be determined. Thanks for stopping in.
No prob! Glad to give some insight.

No prob! Glad to give some insight.
So, I went to the Louisville game today (wife's family has season tix) but I want to check in. I think we both made decent points about this game, however I honestly do believe (yes it's a big day for me) that you were more right than me. Some of our issues were from missing our best dt, de, and cb but I think Colorado showed us plenty that we can improve on. And as we found out with Denard Robinson, a mobile qb can lead to injuries, but Colorado played us tough. Good game. I deserve some me shit, some of your guys did exactly what you said they would.

Give me some .... too. I deserve it. UM is better than Colorado and on a neutral field I would cut the spread to about 10 pts.

Very good corners, wr's and a couple of more guys here and there and Colorado would win 30-40% of the time. Very good team and glad you guys pushed UM.

RM

So, I went to the Louisville game today (wife's family has season tix) but I want to check in. I think we both made decent points about this game, however I honestly do believe (yes it's a big day for me) that you were more right than me. Some of our issues were from missing our best dt, de, and cb but I think Colorado showed us plenty that we can improve on. And as we found out with Denard Robinson, a mobile qb can lead to injuries, but Colorado played us tough. Good game. I deserve some me shit, some of your guys did exactly what you said they would.
Honestly, congrats man. I am pissed as hell. You were absolutely right about some of your skill players and obviously Peppers is a stud. Really the difference was special teams. Our punter is the worst in college football. Super slow on the kick and couldn't punt it at all the entire game. Low, short, ugly, kicks that anybody would have taken to the house much less a top 5 NFL pick. Pretty shameful to do to a defense that outside of 2 plays played very well. Hats off to Michigan though. I thought it would be a close game and maybe it is with Liufau in the 4th.

Truthfully, you saw all of Colorado today. The good, the bad, and the ugly that our fans have to deal with. The ugly is the QB situation. Sheriron Jones going back to Tennessee 2 weeks after coming to CU, Davis Webb heading to Cal a week before he was supposed to show up at CU, last year's backup Apsay being kicked off the team, and left with a broken footed senior QB with absolutely no backup. Sigh... anyway, congrats Michigan fans. Now go win the national title (coming from a native Michigan man)!

Your qb doesn't get injured and I think it is closer on the scoreboard. I think by the time he went out that UM FINALLY figured out how to scheme your offense...thank goodness.

I do believe (no disrespect whatsoever because Colorado deserves major credit) but not having our All American at corner hurt UM and in fact Brown deserves some blame for not recognizing earlier that his defense without Lewis was going to struggle against this offense.

That being said...great game plan by Colorado. Just completely outcoached UM in the first 20 minutes. If UM hadn't made the defensive adjustments and kept going with the Don Brown initial scheme they lose that game.

Biggest thing going forward is that Colorado showed our competitors exactly how to beat UM. Take away the pass and control the edges. I would play UM with a 4 man DL...2 inside lb'ers and have safeties and have everyone else cover Butt and the wr's.

RM

Your qb doesn't get injured and I think it is closer on the scoreboard. I think by the time he went out that UM FINALLY figured out how to scheme your offense...thank goodness.

I do believe (no disrespect whatsoever because Colorado deserves major credit) but not having our All American at corner hurt UM and in fact Brown deserves some blame for not recognizing earlier that his defense without Lewis was going to struggle against this offense.

That being said...great game plan by Colorado. Just completely outcoached UM in the first 20 minutes. If UM hadn't made the defensive adjustments and kept going with the Don Brown initial scheme they lose that game.

Biggest thing going forward is that Colorado showed our competitors exactly how to beat UM. Take away the pass and control the edges. I would play UM with a 4 man DL...2 inside lb'ers and have safeties and have everyone else cover Butt and the wr's.
RM

Figured out how to scheme the offense? He just threw a long TD bomb. That flea flicker that the backup QB was in on was W-I-D-E open to Shay Fields in the middle of the field. He was literally all alone and even the announcer gulped. Our backup literally never looked due to peeing down his pants completely. You guys were definitely better defensively down the stretch, but a healthy Sefo would have kept you off balance with the correct audibles and reads that the backup couldn't make. I guess we'll never know but there were points there to be taken. Points I think Sefo would have managed. I think that game goes down to the wire simply because we would have moved the ball out of the danger zone at the very least and thus had been scored on less.

Personally, I think our loss falls more on our special teams or lack thereof than defensive adjustments. The adjustments were good, but punting killed us. It's why a team like Utah with an all American punter can hang on in games like that while CU loses them.

I think Michigan will be alright. I think you guys still underestimate CU. We definitely have talent, just not enough depth to battle a team such as yours down the stretch. There are some holes in your scheme, but it remains to be seen who can exploit them. CU has some guys on defense that can play. Tight covering, fast, CBs, a stud DB of our own, and a couple of really big, tough, guys in the trenches who can swallow up an OL. You may not see better defenders than Tupou, Kafovalu, and Awuzie the rest of the year. Defensively, as you say, you were down a CB against a team with 3 really quality WRs. We will burn many teams with our WRs if Sefo can get himself healthy again. I think you will find we are a lot better than you think and that you have fewer holes than you perceive.

Reactions: goblue31602
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT