ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Brunch from Mom's Basement: The "Mercenary State University" Edition

Socal4mich

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2006
Westlake Village
When CMFT took over the Spartahhhhh program, one thing had to hit him pretty hard. Their roster was total garbage. Dantni had left gaping holes across the roster and at critical positions. I, for one, had waited my entire post John L Smith existence for this season. Where MSU football was in their rightful place at the bottom and we all could revel, laugh at and celebrate in their misery.

drunks-funny.gif

Its because I am a Michigan fan, I know I can't have nice things. (editors note: phantom PI calls at home on Turner yesterday, Haskins called for holding by taking a fake handoff, JT was short, Spartan Bob, I could go on and on...), and I know for certain that the NCAA created the transfer portal just to bail Spartahhhh out and to keep me from having nice things.

Let's be honest. Is there a single transfer athlete, anywhere, who could not qualify into MSU? Let's break this down. The Northern Montana Community College of Taxidermy has higher standards than MSU athletic admissions. Because there are no other reasons any player would voluntarily transfer to Easy Lansing and call MSU is home, if not it being the last stop on the bus. Maybe they want the extra discipline in their life that program clearly provides for football players? I mean, one one of the players actually went to jail over their felony conviction. This is the NCAA equivalent of last chance U.

Let's break down the other "reason:". Memo to little brothers everywhere. The reason Mike Hart's comments dug so deep is not because of football. It hits the cores of their souls. This hit so hard because every MSU grad has their reason. You know the reason. The reason they tell everyone that they were accepted into Michigan but CHOSE to go to MSU. "Yeah, Michigan wasn't for me". Uh huh... (editors note: My big brother is a sparty, got into both schools and has his reason. None of it matters. He gets asked all the time by people, "Why didn't you go to Michigan", or "You went to Michigan State, I love their winged helmets". MSU will never be Michigan and MIke Hart just said what everyone already knew.

Mike Dantni was pure genius to sew the hate chip onto the shoulders of every MSU recruit from the moment he started talking to them. I also think he include it into their "vitamin shots", errrr, rumor there. Mike's pitch was easy to sell and it was the red meat his athletes needed to play way beyond their rankings.

If not for the transfer portal, Spartan football would be crushed for a decade. But I realize I cannot have nice things anymore and am cursed. So CMFT got to pull the transfer portal parachute ripcord to refill his roster and have these mercenaries instantly eligible. Which is just a damn shame.

c987955a-e23f-4e90-b9dc-5c30a06bc976_text.gif

CMFT was able to offload a lot of the deadweight on the Spartan's roster and replace it with more talent across the board. But this coach and these kids are missing that disrespect hate chip. Michigan is just another team.

But the transfer portal works in two ways. The transfer portal has helped Harbaugh fix his program but not the same way CMFT used it for. For Michigan, all those bad attitude, me-first, guys who made the Michigan locker room a toxic cultural mess ejected out. Harbaugh brilliantly unloaded the parts of his staff who were part of creating the culture or were finally held accountable for the crap work they were doing on the field, in practice or on the trail. Culture requires nurturing, accountability, getting the right players and coaches and then giving them a mission.

And for next week, Harbaugh brought in the ringer. The man who created the little brother moniker and who will instill our own version of the "chip" into the bloodstreams of our kids. Mike Hart. Under no circumstances will he allow our team to show up next week looking like the dysfunctional non-team who didn't want to be there last year. The me-kids are gone and lots of coaches are gone. But those that remain, will remember the pain of that day.

Next week, the Michigan team that takes the field will be the ones with the chip. The ones with the focus. The ones to play their best game of the year. Mike Hart won't let them do anything less.

tom-brady-lfg.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News