ADVERTISEMENT

New Commit, final CSS recruit rankings and question for Michael

BradyThomas

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
Gustaf Westlund, a center from the Gunnery, has committed. According to the NHL's final Central Scouting rankings, Westlund is the top ranked recruit from the New England Prep School scene (Boo Nieves, Mac Bennett, Lee Moffie, Derek DeBlois and Luke Glendening are recent New England prep school players). Westlund is a bit of a late bloomer as he is a Parisian born Swede and had to play soccer for his school so played on a Tier II hockey team this fall. He is described as an excellent athlete and a very good skater with an extra gear.

Final 2016 NA Central Scouting Rankings for Michigan incoming recruits
#13 G Jack LaFontaine
Skaters
#70- Griffin Luce D
#108-William Lockwood RW
#112-Nick Pastujov LW
#116-Gustaf Westlund C
#117-Kenny Johnson D (Jack's brother) 2017 recruit?
#146-James Sanchez LW

Luke Martin is a 2017 NHL draftee but is generally viewed a first round talent. He is their highest regarded incoming recruit.

F Steven Merl, D Christian Meike and G Hayden Lavigne are unranked.

If entire CCM line leaves, are there any other recruits out there beyond Westlund? 97RW Kasper Bjorkqvist is a Finn who reportedly will play NCAA hockey next year. The power forward is the 22nd ranked European skater in the final CSS rankings. Michael, have you heard about any Europeans? Given the early timing of hockey recruiting, slim pickings on uncommitted Americans absent a late bloomer like Westlund

Reactions: Shadowfax
Well this answers, in part, my recent question of "who can play center next year?"

We could use a few players with names like "Gustaf Westlund" and "Kasper Bjorkqvist", eh?

Well this answers, in part, my recent question of "who can play center next year?"

We could use a few players with names like "Gustaf Westlund" and "Kasper Bjorkqvist", eh?

Westlund will be a class of 17 along with Kenny Johnson, info from Spath.

Westlund will be a class of 17 along with Kenny Johnson, info from Spath.
Is there any chance we try to move his enrollment up? I thought I read we'd be maxing out our roster just to have 4 full lines if Compher leaves.

We would have 13 forwards (including the 4 announced freshmen F's) if Compher leaves, but if that occurs and no additional freshmen are brought in, I would expect 1 or 2 D-men to be spending time at forward, as we have 6 competent returning D-men plus (hopefully) incoming Luce and Martin who are potentially 1st or 2d round NHL draft talent as the OP reports (meaning - they aren't coming to Michigan to sit on the bench . . . .)

P.S. The above is counting Porikos as a F, where he had almost all his playing time last season.

Gustaf Westlund, a center from the Gunnery, has committed. According to the NHL's final Central Scouting rankings, Westlund is the top ranked recruit from the New England Prep School scene (Boo Nieves, Mac Bennett, Lee Moffie, Derek DeBlois and Luke Glendening are recent New England prep school players). Westlund is a bit of a late bloomer as he is a Parisian born Swede and had to play soccer for his school so played on a Tier II hockey team this fall. He is described as an excellent athlete and a very good skater with an extra gear.

Final 2016 NA Central Scouting Rankings for Michigan incoming recruits
#13 G Jack LaFontaine
Skaters
#70- Griffin Luce D
#108-William Lockwood RW
#112-Nick Pastujov LW
#116-Gustaf Westlund C
#117-Kenny Johnson D (Jack's brother) 2017 recruit?
#146-James Sanchez LW

Luke Martin is a 2017 NHL draftee but is generally viewed a first round talent. He is their highest regarded incoming recruit.

F Steven Merl, D Christian Meike and G Hayden Lavigne are unranked.

If entire CCM line leaves, are there any other recruits out there beyond Westlund? 97RW Kasper Bjorkqvist is a Finn who reportedly will play NCAA hockey next year. The power forward is the 22nd ranked European skater in the final CSS rankings. Michael, have you heard about any Europeans? Given the early timing of hockey recruiting, slim pickings on uncommitted Americans absent a late bloomer like Westlund

They landed Adam Winborg today as a center/forward for next season. He is a Swede so he fits the bill for what you were asking.

Junior teammate of incoming goalie Lafontaine, 21 years old, good size (6-1, 190), has put up respectable offensive numbers the last 3 seasons in the NAHL. I like all of this. Spath, in your first interview with him, please ask him to compare and contrast living in Janesville WI to living in Stockholm.

Sounds like the forward that we really want and need.

If all these guys pan out even to small degrees, I think we will be ok next season. Even if JT goes.

Consider that we've had some very young players do very, very well recently.

Junior teammate of incoming goalie Lafontaine, 21 years old, good size (6-1, 190), has put up respectable offensive numbers the last 3 seasons in the NAHL. I like all of this. Spath, in your first interview with him, please ask him to compare and contrast living in Janesville WI to living in Stockholm.

Done. :)

Sounds like the forward that we really want and need.

If all these guys pan out even to small degrees, I think we will be ok next season. Even if JT goes.

Consider that we've had some very young players do very, very well recently.

They need JT to return in a BIG way. Who is your No. 1 center if he doesn't? Red told me the other day he doesn't like Cooper Marody for that role (yet) and doesn't think Max Shuart is offensive enough. And I don't see a natural centerman out of the incoming freshmen.

Reactions: mfanjt
They need JT to return in a BIG way. Who is your No. 1 center if he doesn't? Red told me the other day he doesn't like Cooper Marody for that role (yet) and doesn't think Max Shuart is offensive enough. And I don't see a natural centerman out of the incoming freshmen.

Mike: A few questions....

Who is leading the team through the spring workouts? While JT may not be around in May with the World Championships, the team will need at least two new appointed leaders for the 2016-17 season (Kile, deJong?). It seems that most players who have the chance to play in the World Championships use that as a measuring point and don't return to school. We'll see. JT's potential return is so crucial in so many aspects next season.

You mentioned you would have a first line of Kile, Compher and Calderone if JT returns. I think I would go with Dancs, Compher, Kile to start off. Dancs has shown some offensive abilities, just needs greater focus. Then keep Warren, Marody and Calderone as the second line.

In a worst case scenario, Marody has to center the first line. The only real choice. Dancs, Marody, Kile.

Mike: A few questions....

Who is leading the team through the spring workouts? While JT may not be around in May with the World Championships, the team will need at least two new appointed leaders for the 2016-17 season (Kile, deJong?). It seems that most players who have the chance to play in the World Championships use that as a measuring point and don't return to school. We'll see. JT's potential return is so crucial in so many aspects next season.

You mentioned you would have a first line of Kile, Compher and Calderone if JT returns. I think I would go with Dancs, Compher, Kile to start off. Dancs has shown some offensive abilities, just needs greater focus. Then keep Warren, Marody and Calderone as the second line.

In a worst case scenario, Marody has to center the first line. The only real choice. Dancs, Marody, Kile.

They want a lot more from Calderone and think he needs to be paired with the right center to get him going, that's why I think it makes sense to put him on the first line. Dancs is getting better and better too so you're right, he could be an option there.

As for workouts, Red told me possible captains for next year are DeJong, Lohan, Kile, and Shuarts so I assume those are the leaders this spring. He didn't say that, but I didn't ask your specific question.

They want a lot more from Calderone and think he needs to be paired with the right center to get him going, that's why I think it makes sense to put him on the first line. Dancs is getting better and better too so you're right, he could be an option there.

As for workouts, Red told me possible captains for next year are DeJong, Lohan, Kile, and Shuarts so I assume those are the leaders this spring. He didn't say that, but I didn't ask your specific question.

Those four seniors make the most sense, but Lohan would need to be a regular to earn a formal letter. He has not been a regular in his three years. Not sure who would be first candidate from the junior class, perhaps Cutler Martin.

Those four seniors make the most sense, but Lohan would need to be a regular to earn a formal letter. He has not been a regular in his three years. Not sure who would be first candidate from the junior class, perhaps Cutler Martin.

Well, Red told me he's very well respected but he does need to play, for sure.

Arrghh, well cue Plan B or C or whatever we were up to in terms of next year's lineup. This is life in the big city these days, as my mother used to say.

Re Lohan: in 2014-2015 he played in all 37 games (one of only 2 on the team to do so). That's regular to me. The bigger question for 2016-17 is that he would seem to be starting out as no. 6, 7 or 8 D-man behind the 5 other returnees, Luce and Martin.

So much for that....

One other question- what's up with Evan Allen? He's one guy nobody had heard from recently...

Another question for everyone- thoughts on who we think will step up? Dancs showed a lot of heart this year, Kyle did quite well, etc. Maybe we see come real big steps from Marody or Warren (they both had some nice moments)?

Can't say that there are no opportunities to step up and be a real leader. Seems like every position is up for a top guy if one wants to step into that role. Including for Zach between the pipes.

So much for that....

One other question- what's up with Evan Allen? He's one guy nobody had heard from recently...

Another question for everyone- thoughts on who we think will step up? Dancs showed a lot of heart this year, Kyle did quite well, etc. Maybe we see come real big steps from Marody or Warren (they both had some nice moments)?

Can't say that there are no opportunities to step up and be a real leader. Seems like every position is up for a top guy if one wants to step into that role. Including for Zach between the pipes.
I like Marody to make the jump. Remember, there was a point where he was leading the team in scoring and I thought he was playing well before mono got him down.

Defensively, Piazza seems like the kind of player who could help a lot next year. He seemed to settle things down back there and be in the right spots, which it seems we will need next year.

Of the incoming freshmen, who is likely to make an impact? I certainly don't mean on the level of Larkin or Connor, but to produce on a decent level?

I like Marody to make the jump. Remember, there was a point where he was leading the team in scoring and I thought he was playing well before mono got him down.

Defensively, Piazza seems like the kind of player who could help a lot next year. He seemed to settle things down back there and be in the right spots, which it seems we will need next year.

Of the incoming freshmen, who is likely to make an impact? I certainly don't mean on the level of Larkin or Connor, but to produce on a decent level?

Luke Martin and Griffin Luce will help on defense. Most likely offensive contributors are Will Lockwood and Nick Pastujov. Some real difference makers in the 17 and 18 classes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT