ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Brandstatter View

majfisherusa2014

Senior
Silver Member
Oct 31, 2023

Text:
We are what we are.

That, I think sums up my feelings of Michigan football following the 27-17 loss to Washington. Am I disappointed? Sure. But, it isn’t as if we didn’t see some struggles coming based on the first 5 games.

Let me be completely clear. I am proud of this team. They fought like crazy against Washington. They were given up for dead after falling behind and yet, they found the fight and the resolve to come from behind and take a lead. In an extremely difficult place to play, they took the game into the fourth quarter and had the ball with the score tied and a chance to take the lead and put themselves in a great position. But then, the thing you can’t have happen,…happened. Michigan turned it over twice. Those turnovers resulted in 10 Washington points, and that was the difference in the final score.

I don’t want to hear complaints about quarterbacks. In 6 games head coach Sherrone Moore has used three different guys. He’s done everything possible to recharge the offense. Going forward, I suspect every position will be re-evaluated and the guys who give Michigan the best chance to win will be the ones that take the field. That’s all a coach can do, and he’ll do it.

The players, I know, will bust their tails to improve and get better. This upcoming bye week will be very important to every player on the roster. There isn’t a new group of five star players hanging around Ann Arbor waiting for a call. The players that will improve the performance of this team already have lockers at Schembechler Hall. If you complain or look for answers other than in the mirror, you are part of the problem not the solution. That goes for the faithful fans too.

We’ve had unprecedented success over the last three years. Three Big Ten Titles, Three trips to the Final four playoffs. A win loss record of 40-3 and a national championship. Given where college football is today, that may never happen again to any team out there. From that group we’ve lost our head coach, both co-ordinators and other assistant coach’s, the entire offensive line, two key wide receivers, a first round NFL draft pick quarterback, key secondary players on defense and high draft choice linebackers. It ain’t 2023 anymore, and if you thought it was, you were kidding yourself. Complaining and criticizing doesn’t help this team, rather it hurts. So, let’s help and not hurt the cause. You learn more about someone’s character during adversity rather than during band wagon success. Encouragement, and support are the keys to improvement and growth…that’s my assignment going forward.

To me, it’s not worth it to analyze and say this position has to play better and that area has to improve. We all know that. And so does everybody on the Michigan football team. I choose to trust and support, not criticize and complain. Especially after what I’ve experienced with this program over the last 3 years. Rip me all you want, I’m still pulling for this team. Like I said at the beginning of this piece, we are what we are, and that’s who I’m rolling with the rest of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.