ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Guys...was watching a replay...and there were 11 MSU guys on

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
the line and I can't tell if MSU had another returner. It looks like Chesson was trying to beat his defender on the play.

Can anyone confirm MSU didn't have a guy back to field the punt. That tells me if MSU didn't have a guy back that UM had a coaching error.

RM

Yes, they did not have a guy back to field a punt. Chesson should have been pulled for another blocker.

And that was the stinkiest shit I've ever, ever seen happen in a Michigan football game ... I still can't believe it, and I'm afraid I'll never, ever get over it. Can you imagine how many years we'll have to suffer watching it again and again. I need to puke.

Reactions: U2fan
the line and I can't tell if MSU had another returner. It looks like Chesson was trying to beat his defender on the play.

Can anyone confirm MSU didn't have a guy back to field the punt. That tells me if MSU didn't have a guy back that UM had a coaching error.

RM
Obviously, you weren't at the game...in that situation, why would you drop a guy back...MSU's only option was to rush 11 guys and hope for a block, bad snap or a botch. Prayer was answered. Michigan tried to spread out State IMO, instead of max-protect with 10 guys "drawn" together to prevent a bull rush up the center. O'Neill has been great this year and our special teams were very good yesterday until the final 10 seconds....

Reactions: detroitjohn
No one on the Gunner up top. A easy pass by the Punter and we may have scored a TD as well. No one back. It was a very bad snap . Too low to pick up cleanly. We'll move on and get better for it. Tough when we lose to a rival. "74

That was the greatest ending I ever remember watching. That musta hurt. Glad it didn't happen to my team!

No one on the Gunner up top. A easy pass by the Punter and we may have scored a TD as well. No one back. It was a very bad snap . Too low to pick up cleanly. We'll move on and get better for it. Tough when we lose to a rival. "74

I can't believe that our coaches didn't see that Chesson was uncovered and call a time out to reposition him as a blocker.

Didn't have a TO left. Used them to save 5 yards per possession.

UM should have punted and not tried any pass play. Just catch the ball and punt. Congrats to MSU for capitalizing on an opponents error.

Obviously, you weren't at the game...in that situation, why would you drop a guy back...MSU's only option was to rush 11 guys and hope for a block, bad snap or a botch. Prayer was answered. Michigan tried to spread out State IMO, instead of max-protect with 10 guys "drawn" together to prevent a bull rush up the center. O'Neill has been great this year and our special teams were very good yesterday until the final 10 seconds....

The punt wasn't getting blocked. UM had the one side not completely blocked because O'Neil was running to the other side as usual. It would have worked if ball caught. Game over.

And that was the stinkiest shit I've ever, ever seen happen in a Michigan football game ... I still can't believe it, and I'm afraid I'll never, ever get over it. Can you imagine how many years we'll have to suffer watching it again and again. I need to puke.
I was at the Kordell Stewart game. If there is one "positive" from yesterday it's that it wasn't nearly at awful as the Kordell Stewart hail mary. Still freaking terrible though. F Sparty.

Ah, you kick 3/3 FGs, have a long return, and a 80 punt...not exactly a Baxter "loss", shit happens man simple as that
Amen, people talking down Baxter, prob were the same people screaming in glee when he boomed the 80 yder.

The punt wasn't getting blocked. UM had the one side not completely blocked because O'Neil was running to the other side as usual. It would have worked if ball caught. Game over.
As stated, either block or a botched up play. O'Neill fields the ball clean and gets the ball over the LOS, game over...MSU's options were limited...they needed a prayer and it was answered!

As stated, either block or a botched up play. O'Neill fields the ball clean and gets the ball over the LOS, game over...MSU's options were limited...they needed a prayer and it was answered!
The real problem for UM to fix from this game is to work on their run blocking which was shut down in the second half

Reactions: blue-boy
The real problem for UM to fix from this game is to work on their run blocking which was shut down in the second half
Agree...we've been decent for the most part this fall but going against a good defense, we have huge struggles. This isn't a powerful line and the backs have average speed, at most. Will never question Smith's toughness and strength but if the blocking isn't crisp and sustained, we're going to struggle. Not much speed or "jiggle"!

For this team to contend with the overall talent level we have, it's been a darn good coaching effort and a tribute to the kids for buying in. The program is in great hands and once we get a few more pieces in place...we still have a couple of tough games ahead, we can't overlook anyone. Just keep working and coaching them up...

Agree...we've been decent for the most part this fall but going against a good defense, we have huge struggles. This isn't a powerful line and the backs have average speed, at most. Will never question Smith's toughness and strength but if the blocking isn't crisp and sustained, we're going to struggle. Not much speed or "jiggle"!

For this team to contend with the overall talent level we have, it's been a darn good coaching effort and a tribute to the kids for buying in. The program is in great hands and once we get a few more pieces in place...we still have a couple of tough games ahead, we can't overlook anyone. Just keep working and coaching them up...
This is a coaching staff that understands where the holes exist on the team and work hard to fill them. The quarterback situation is a prime example and they're recruiting the hell out of the offensive line position this year.

Reactions: blue-boy
There should have been a personal foul called right away, as it was a player safety issue. You can NOT just blast the long snapper like msu did. That is actually the umpire's FIRST assignment on those plays, and they are instructed to call every single time it happens. Watch the video. It was blatant as it gets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT