ADVERTISEMENT

Former player mini review -- Coaching is at fault -- Michigan not as bad as it seemed

dlatorrie

Letterman
Aug 3, 2018
Disclaimer: I grew up a UofM fan and though I didn't play for UofM I remained a fan along with my school. With that said, this was on the coaches, mainly Harbaugh, and while that is true -- this game could've been won. As bad as the offensive play calling was and as bad as the defense played in the first half, Michigan lost by a TD. A few points of note:

• As I've suspected, been told... and is proving true, Harbaugh is not a good Offensive Coordinator by any stretch of the imagination. His offense was predictable all night long and no different than the bowl game in terms of overall strategy. You can run RPO all day but if the strategy is the same then you will fail as they did.
  • Speaking of RPO -- this is not what he ran during the OSU game last year and it is not effective for Michigan's identity. What he ran at OSU last year and what I've been calling for is a READ OPTION-PASSING ROUTE SCHEME -- similar to what Brady does with the Patriots and this would've destroyed ND defense. With the aforementioned scheme, every receiver has 2-3 routes on every passing play and the defense determines what play/route is ran. The QB calls a 2-play set in the huddle and make calls at the line. The WR adjust their routes to the defense and the QB makes the right read. This offense has, built within it, multiple "outs" so that the offense is never caught off guard and can adjust to whatever defense and win -- you saw some of this during OSU last year. That interception O'Korn threw, that was an option route that he read completely wrong.
  • Harbaugh changed the offense to suit Peterson and while it is good to tailor the scheme to your players, he shouldn't have abandoned what worked last year -- namely in the running game.
  • Many people have annihilated Jon Runyan Jr. and while he was abysmal to be sure, it was the coaches fault for leaving him in there after the second offensive series -- He is a guard at best and if they have no one better or a better combination of the five guys -- then Michigan will lose this year unless they adjust the scheme to cover up and avoid that weakness.
  • Players skill sets are used incorrectly -- Grant Perry should've been used far more in quick slants and digs. ND would've quit sending edge pressure. Nico Collins should've had 50/50 balls schemed for him. Should run combo routes for DPJ with Nico and Gentry -- also should've run DPJ out of motion sets to get him moving at the snap.
  • O-Line still has trouble picking up stunts -- especially delayed blitzes with stunts.
  • Devin Bush is F&%*ing legit!!!
  • Gotta find ways to get Ambry involved on offense and defense. This young dude it the real deal.
  • Aubrey Solomon should've started and played the whole game. Lawrence is trash and its sad he got a 5th year. Solomon like last year was moving dudes. This game showed how big of an impact Mo Hurst had last year. Continual interior pressure that he provided lacked greatly in this game.
  • Despite some major mistakes, Winovich has improved his technique and had a really good game. Gary despite the criticism I've been seeing, did good. But to be honest, I would put him at DT at least a few series a game. That might be his position in the NFL -- his technique has not been refined and right now better suits a DT.
  • Metellus seemed to be better for the short time he was in. His hit wasn't ejectionable, I don't give a dam what the rules say. Charles Woodson agreed that it was BS too. Yes, I know, its the rules. Kill that noise.
  • I told those who read it weeks ago that Kinnel is not a D-1 safety. On a good note -- Brad Hawkins surprised the hell out of me. Great size and he his fast and he can cover. Next game he and Metellus should start but Don Brown won't do that.
  • Speaking of Don Brown -- dude is really good as you all know. Though the defense gave up points in the first half -- a worst coordinator would've given up 42 in the 1st half. 2nd Half a virtual shut out. Great adjustments for the most part in the second half.
  • Shea is better than yesterday showed and three plays showed me what I needed to see to know that. That said, he's gotta play "his game" and let the game slow down and come to him. For what its worth, this was his first game in a year and half -- an away game, in prime time, at ND -- plus Harbaugh gave him no help. No excuses however, ballers get it done period.
  • Michigan fans should quietly root for ND to have a good record, winning against some good teams so that this lost is somewhat justifiable in November.
  • Harbaugh owes these players better play calling and scheming on offense. I don't give a damn about his F*&^ing ego -- you have a College Offensive Coordinator on the team who WON A NATTY with Bama. Should've made him the full time OC and said Lets Go Get this Sh!t done!!!!
  • Harbaugh owes the fans -- Fans showed up big in South Bend!!!
This one is on the coaches, namely and almost exclusively Harbaugh. Two specific adjustments and Michigan could've beat ND by 2-TDs -- and in this there is hope. You've 3-5 games that should allow you to sure up some things and get confidence back. But make no mistake, these boys are going to have to run the table plus the B1G Chip to get into the playoff, in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News