ADVERTISEMENT

What a difference a game makes, after tonight's game...

Puckhead

All-American
Jun 4, 2001
and the other games around college hockey (probably still a couple out West that might not be done), Michigan has jumped from 19th in the Pairwise to 13th. Probably drop some again tomorrow since they don't play, but one little road win and bango.

That's how much the PWR has emphasized road wins, no matter how poor the opponent. I'll take two like that in Wisconsin considering that place has been a den of horrors for U-M the last couple of years.

Settled in at...

...14 once the late games had finished. Ample opportunity to improve on that with the road schedule ahead.

Re: Settled in at...

Right. PWR (starting last season) now weights road wins and home losses 1.2, and home wins and road losses at 0.8. So road wins are good. There is also a "Quality Win Bonus" for beating a team in the top 20 of RPI, on a sliding scale (i.e. most bonus points for beating #1, least for beating #20). So - our road win at Mass-Lowell was our most productive game of the year in terms of the PWR!

Re: Settled in at...

There are still a handful of games to play out West and a couple of big games being played tomorrow, but right now Michigan has dropped back to 17th in the pairwise (well tied for 16th, but they are behind the other team at 16).

Minnesota made short work of Wisconsin tonight to get back a little over the Badgers. Tech seems to be in free fall mode after that blistering start as they drop a game to Bowling Green (although BG is currently ranked higher than Tech).

Anyway, still looks like the one road win this weekend should move Michigan up a couple of spots in the Pairwise from last weekend with a really big series at Wisconsin coming up next weekend.

There are still a couple of games to be played today that could impact their standing, but right now (9 AM Sunday) Michigan is sitting all alone at number 16 in the Pairwise.

that still makes them the first team out (m)

It's very likely that the autobid from the Atlantic will mean that a team has to be 15 and higher to get in and to play it safe probably 13 and higher in case there's an upset or two in a conference tourney.

They have to sweep Wisconsin, even a tie is not good, Minnesota dropped five spots after their tie with UW on Friday.

I stand corrected - Michigan is in the tourney if the season ended today

they're atop the big-10 in terms of ppg and are also the highest rated big-10 team in the pwr.

Re: I stand corrected - Michigan is in the tourney if the season ended today

After everything is said and done for this weekend, Michigan is sitting at #17 (tied for 16th, but the lower of the two teams there). Not in for sure yet, but they are slowly clawing their way up the rankings.

Two games coming up at Wisconsin this weekend, not sure what to think about those. Wisconsin is one of those hot tonight not so hot the next night teams and Michigan does not seem to play well in Madison. They will almost certainly need to play better defensively than they did last week. I don't think they are going to put up ten goals a night to cover for poor defense so they really need to clamp down there.

there has to be one team from the big-10 in and it's UM right now

that can change of course week to week especially if Michigan loses or ties Wisconsin this weekend.

Yeah someone from the B1G has to make it....

The conference does get an auto bid for the tournament winner.

So right now on any projections you should see either Michigan or Penn State in depending on how the projection does it....

If it goes off of PWR - Michigan will be in. If it goes off of current leader in the Big Ten standings on points - PSU will be that team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT