ADVERTISEMENT

Well here's a thing, Minnesota has a new coach...

Puckhead

All-American
Jun 4, 2001
Bob Motzko from St. Cloud State will be taking over for the Gophers. Maybe not so much of a shocker, sort of mirrors what happened at Michigan, it just took longer.

Motzko was an assistant at Minnesota back when it looked like the Gophers were going to win everything in sight and for a couple of years pretty much did. He went to St. Cloud to be head coach and 13 years later he returns to Minnesota to take over for Lucia. It doesn't hurt that he is also from Minnesota so that coaching vacancy is quickly filled.

I just read through the rest of the Minnesota press release, it mirrors Michigan more than I first thought. Not only was he an assistant who went elsewhere to be the head coach, that elsewhere (St. Cloud) is where he played hockey, sound familiar?

Reactions: wolv1000
Seems like an odd move to me. I presume that Minnesota can and will pay him more than St. Cloud, but right now and recently, St. Cloud is a better platform. Well, on the other hand, the Minnesota job just opened up for the first time in 20 years or whatever.

Seems like an odd move to me. I presume that Minnesota can and will pay him more than St. Cloud, but right now and recently, St. Cloud is a better platform. Well, on the other hand, the Minnesota job just opened up for the first time in 20 years or whatever.
A year ago, you could have said the same thing about Tech.

I don't think Minnesota is *that* bad of a platform right now. They can still play.

Hmm, this must be a regional reference (like "Little Brother" or "Moo U") that is unknown to those of us who don;t speak Minnesotan. Please discuss.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
Hmm, this must be a regional reference (like "Little Brother" or "Moo U") that is unknown to those of us who don;t speak Minnesotan. Please discuss.
Yes it is. The reason Hockey fans call SCSU Jan Brady University is because their fans were always whining about what the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus gets, media coverage, resources, etc.

Bob Motzko from St. Cloud State will be taking over for the Gophers. Maybe not so much of a shocker, sort of mirrors what happened at Michigan, it just took longer.

Motzko was an assistant at Minnesota back when it looked like the Gophers were going to win everything in sight and for a couple of years pretty much did. He went to St. Cloud to be head coach and 13 years later he returns to Minnesota to take over for Lucia. It doesn't hurt that he is also from Minnesota so that coaching vacancy is quickly filled.

I just read through the rest of the Minnesota press release, it mirrors Michigan more than I first thought. Not only was he an assistant who went elsewhere to be the head coach, that elsewhere (St. Cloud) is where he played hockey, sound familiar?
Good move by Minnie ha ha

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT