ADVERTISEMENT

The "Ole Ball Coach" Throws a Little Criticism at the Buckeyes and Meyer

scfanblue

Senior
Oct 25, 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
Interesting comment by Spurrier.

Speaking on “The Paul Finebaum Show” on ESPN Radio on Monday, current South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier talked the upcoming SEC football season. And before long, the 70-year-old Spurrier tried to score some points with the SEC faithful by letting reigning national champion Ohio State have it over its schedule.

“Every now and then when I listen in to your show, I know the SEC fans are a little upset at Ohio State’s schedule and rightfully so to tell you the truth,” Spurrier said. “But that’s just the way it is and how it works out for all of us. I remember several years ago, Texas A&M had four sorta gimme games outside the conference, then eight conference games.

“There’s four of us that have that in-state rivalry game with a team from another conference. … We’ve got a pretty tough schedule.”

Speaking on “The Paul Finebaum Show” on ESPN Radio on Monday, current South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier talked the upcoming SEC football season. And before long, the 70-year-old Spurrier tried to score some points with the SEC faithful by letting reigning national champion Ohio State have it over its schedule.

“Every now and then when I listen in to your show, I know the SEC fans are a little upset at Ohio State’s schedule and rightfully so to tell you the truth,” Spurrier said. “But that’s just the way it is and how it works out for all of us. I remember several years ago, Texas A&M had four sorta gimme games outside the conference, then eight conference games.

“There’s four of us that have that in-state rivalry game with a team from another conference. … We’ve got a pretty tough schedule.”
That's funny coming from an SEC guy. For years the SEC teams played NO ONE outside of it's conference. Also, most SEC teams put a cup cake non conference game late in their schedules. It's like having an extra bye week late in the season. Actually, that's pretty smart, but it certainly makes their schedules a bit easier.

UNC, UCF, Citadel, Clemson. That's not THAT much more difficult than OSU's. Not to mention the SEC has been notorious for cake schedules until recently

Agree - South Carolina has a much tougher non-conference schedule. Clemson, UNC, Central Florida are much better then Northern IL, Western Mich, VTech, etc. Having said that, it's irrelevant - OSU beat Bama straight up - in fact they dominated. It does not matter what path someone takes because after all is said and done they get to meet head to head. Alabama was the clear winner of the SEC and OSU beat them fair and square so maybe Steve S. should first focus on trying to win the SEC before he cares about what other teams do...by that token, he can say Oregon and FSU were not deserving either because the FSU plays in a pretty crappy division. Senile comments IMHO - OSU won fair and square by beating the crap out of the teams when they needed to - can't take that away from them.

OSU has had a few years where the OOC schedule was a cake walk. From The early to later 2000's the OOC schedule included Home and homes with Miami, Texas, USC, Washington with Jake Locker, and NC State with Philip Rivers.

When the Buckeyes scheduled them, California they had Aaron Rogers and Va Tech was a perennial top 10 program. Starting next year they have home and homes with TCU, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, and Notre Dame.

The real problem with OSU's schedule in the Urban Meyer era has been Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska's troubles. The reality is while this year's schedule for OSU in the Big 10 doesn't match the SEC West, overall it's still rated better than Baylor's, TCU, Oregon, and Florida State's.

I'm assuming you guys get back on track with Harbaugh's, PSU recovers post sanctions, MSU continues at it's pace, and in the West- Wisconsin is still competitive, Minnesota has it's moments, and we'll see if Nebraska improves. If so, the schedule won't be a negative factor.

Whatever, we play 8 preseason Top 25 teams. Ohio State's schedule is a joke. They play no one with a heartbeat all year except MSU. It is a much easier path when you have two to three competitive opponents a year. Your team is more fresh at the end of the season. I am hoping you guys lay it to them in The Big House for Harbaugh's signature first big win.

No doubt that the SEC both East and West is much tougher than a Big 10 schedule and right now only MSU/OSU are nationally competitive teams on a consistent basis. I hope a revived Michigan program can continue to help the climb of the Big 10 and I do think it is changing for the better. Despite some the last few blowouts during the dark years (Rod-Hoke), Michigan has a great record against the SEC. Let's see what Wisky does Saturday night against Bama.

Last edited:
Bamatide13 - I am sorry man, you sound really inept about your knowledge in regards to college football right now. Your team had 1 month to prepare for OSU - 1 month, not 1 week. Worn out or not - these are 18-22 year old kids who recover within a week or so - but the team had 4 freaking weeks. Both teams were equally fresh at that point - no excuses. OSU beat the crap out of Bama in the 2nd half - you could not stop them at all, you could not tackle. I can't stand Ohio State but you have to give them props. And yes their QB was very fresh because he barely played - but that is a function of a team with a lot of depth versus schedule. Now if the game was played on Dec 13th, I could buy into your arguement a bit but I would not a single person except Steve Spurrier would say Bama was just worn out which is why they lost to OSU - 4 weeks to prep, get physically and mentally healthy is an eternity in college football and I would argue Bama had an advantage because OSU was starting their 3rd string QB (yep, 3rd string!!!) Sorry man, don't buy that arguement what-so-ever. I do hope we beat OSU - agree on that front :)

Whatever, we play 8 preseason Top 25 teams. Ohio State's schedule is a joke. They play no one with a heartbeat all year except MSU. It is a much easier path when you have two to three competitive opponents a year. Your team is more fresh at the end of the season. I am hoping you guys lay it to them in The Big House for Harbaugh's signature first big win.
The fact is Ohio State just dominated Alabama and every time you guys get your ass kicked you start making excuses for why you lose. The SEC's out of conference schedule is a joke and the Big Ten pretty much handled them in Bowl games, even your one win was by a small margine. One of the weakest teams in the Big Ten beat one of your best. A few of those teams are the teams that Ohio State had beaten in regular season. Pre season ratings always aren't as good as rated which you saw last year when SEC teams fell by the way side, FSU was also over rated with there weak ass schedule and got dominated when they played a good team. If Mich, Neb. and Penn State would have had typical years it would have even been more embarrassing for the SEC. I look for all those teams to make a come back this year.

The fact is Ohio State just dominated Alabama and every time you guys get your ass kicked you start making excuses for why you lose. The SEC's out of conference schedule is a joke and the Big Ten pretty much handled them in Bowl games, even your one win was by a small margine. One of the weakest teams in the Big Ten beat one of your best. A few of those teams are the teams that Ohio State had beaten in regular season. Pre season ratings always aren't as good as rated which you saw last year when SEC teams fell by the way side, FSU was also over rated with there weak ass schedule and got dominated when they played a good team. If Mich, Neb. and Penn State would have had typical years it would have even been more embarrassing for the SEC. I look for all those teams to make a come back this year.

Sinauy: Your points are correct, however, they represent ONE season and ONE game. It is true that OSU dominated BAMA but that was in ONE game. It is true that the SEC had a very unusual losing bowl record and to SOME Big 10 teams but that is in ONE bowl season. OSU fans are still clamoring about their win over Bama but let's get real really quick here. OSU has a LOSING record against the SEC and the SEC from top to bottom is still a better conference than the Big 10 by far. How can I justify this? Let's count the NUMBER of NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS and CONSECUTIVE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS BY THE SEC. Now, let's count the Big 10- 2003, 2014. I am a huge Michigan fan and love the Big 10 but right now at this moment it is a two team conference on the national level.(MSU/OSU) and neither have had great historical records against the SEC. On the other hand, Michigan has done well with the exception of the dark years. I would also be careful labeling FSU and the ACC as a weak conference. I think Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, North Carolina State could hold their own in the Big 10. Remember Virginia Tech? Yeah!!! they are the ONE blemish on the Bucks championship season and they spanked Urban's ass at home last year. It's ok to love your conference, but I would hardly call the SEC weak or the ACC weak. Besides, prep football in the South where the recruiting is done is exceptional compared to the Midwest and North. Where do you think Joey Bosa is from for example- FLORIDA!!!!!!! My point is that these southern football conferences are always going to be good and they have always been good.

Last edited:
Agree scfanblue...SEC is still a better conference top to bottom - no question. However, I would say the top of the BIG is comparable to the top of the SEC right now. I would also say in bowl games by the time teams meet the excuses of "we played a harder schedule is irrelevant" because most teams have 3-4 weeks off to recover, prepare, etc - infact, logic says that the team with the tougher schedule should be more prepared mentally and physically then the team without. As for your points about the ACC - I personally think the PAC is a loaded conference, like it or not. USC, Oregon, AZ, ASU, UCLA are all really good - I would say right now the PAC Is 2nd after the SEC, with the BIG in third place but trending in the right direction. The gap between MSU/OSU and the rest of the BIG is so large that until that gap closes we will a few years like last year but not many.

I personally think this is a fun time as any I have seen to be a college football fan - the days of 5 dominant teams is gone and won't last too long. I think almost all Top 25 teams can beat each other on any given day because of recent scholarship changes, etc. Baylor and TCU are not cupcakes either, great great teams and I think Texas is going to get back to being respectable soon as well.

There's no doubt the top of the SEC was better than the top of any conference the last several years. But I can only take so much Kentucky football smack talk.

When The SEC teams were winning the National Championships I didn't buy into any of the excuses that my fellow OSU and Big 10 fans liked to throw out. It was simple, better players, better coaches, better commitment to winning. So as an SEC fan, please don't go down that route of excuses such as , "we didn't win because we had a more difficult regular season."

OSU won last year. It doesn't mean that they will win this year, just as the fact that the SEC won in 2012 doesn't mean they will win in 2015.

Sinauy: Your points are correct, however, they represent ONE season and ONE game. It is true that OSU dominated BAMA but that was in ONE game. It is true that the SEC had a very unusual losing bowl record and to SOME Big 10 teams but that is in ONE bowl season. OSU fans are still clamoring about their win over Bama but let's get real really quick here. OSU has a LOSING record against the SEC and the SEC from top to bottom is still a better conference than the Big 10 by far. How can I justify this? Let's count the NUMBER of NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS and CONSECUTIVE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS BY THE SEC. Now, let's count the Big 10- 2003, 2014. I am a huge Michigan fan and love the Big 10 but right now at this moment it is a two team conference on the national level.(MSU/OSU) and neither have had great historical records against the SEC. On the other hand, Michigan has done well with the exception of the dark years. I would also be careful labeling FSU and the ACC as a weak conference. I think Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, North Carolina State could hold their own in the Big 10. Remember Virginia Tech? Yeah!!! they are the ONE blemish on the Bucks championship season and they spanked Urban's ass at home last year. It's ok to love your conference, but I would hardly call the SEC weak or the ACC weak. Besides, prep football in the South where the recruiting is done is exceptional compared to the Midwest and North. Where do you think Joey Bosa is from for example- FLORIDA!!!!!!! My point is that these southern football conferences are always going to be good and they have always been good.
I don't have a problem with most of what you say and I can't argue about the past only about what was last year. From top to bottom the SEC is stronger then the Big Ten for most of the recent past. My statement to the Bama fan was that they make excuses when ever there teams get beat up which Ohio State pretty much did last year. I agree that Ohio States schedule was easier then Bama's but Ohio State deserves credit for Beating both Bama and Oregon with a 3rd team Q.B. As far as V.T. beating O.S.U. last year they truly deserved that win but by the end of the year Ohio State was a different team. The Big Ten has been down in recent years because of Penn St, Mich, Neb, being down, hopefully those teams can turn the corner and the TEN can be more competitive on a top to bottom level.

I don't have a problem with most of what you say and I can't argue about the past only about what was last year. From top to bottom the SEC is stronger then the Big Ten for most of the recent past. My statement to the Bama fan was that they make excuses when ever there teams get beat up which Ohio State pretty much did last year. I agree that Ohio States schedule was easier then Bama's but Ohio State deserves credit for Beating both Bama and Oregon with a 3rd team Q.B. As far as V.T. beating O.S.U. last year they truly deserved that win but by the end of the year Ohio State was a different team. The Big Ten has been down in recent years because of Penn St, Mich, Neb, being down, hopefully those teams can turn the corner and the TEN can be more competitive on a top to bottom level.

I could not agree more with this statement

Yeah, but having to play with your 3rd string QB makes up for any "freshness advantage" OSU should have had

Whatever, we play 8 preseason Top 25 teams. Ohio State's schedule is a joke. They play no one with a heartbeat all year except MSU. It is a much easier path when you have two to three competitive opponents a year. Your team is more fresh at the end of the season. I am hoping you guys lay it to them in The Big House for Harbaugh's signature first big win.[/

Alabama had 4 weeks to rest and prepare for that playoff game. How freaking long do you guys need?

Very few teams schedule tough out of conference. Ohio State at least tries to get one big time opponent each year. The problem is Michigan and Penn State have sucked for eight years, so yeah the conference schedule is weak as hell.

No doubt that the SEC both East and West is much tougher than a Big 10 schedule and right now only MSU/OSU are nationally competitive teams on a consistent basis. I hope a revived Michigan program can continue to help the climb of the Big 10 and I do think it is changing for the better. Despite some the last few blowouts during the dark years (Rod-Hoke), Michigan has a great record against the SEC. Let's see what Wisky does Saturday night against Bama.
Once PSU and UM get turned around the B1G East will be dominant as good or better than SEC.

Reactions: bmejnes
Very few teams schedule tough out of conference. Ohio State at least tries to get one big time opponent each year. The problem is Michigan and Penn State have sucked for eight years, so yeah the conference schedule is weak as hell.
Another thing people tend to forget, ignore, or just refuse to acknowledge, schedules are often made a few years in advance and don't reflect what a team will be when game day comes. If teams (like I said b4) Mich, Neb, Penn St. can get things back to what they use to be, the Big Ten will kick some ass on a regular basis.

Lots of good comments above, whining aside ... and the B1G-East is going to be a terror of a division in 2-3 years though, rivaling the SEC-West. I think there will be a playoff team, and another premiere bowl participant coming out of the division in most years.

Is Wisky really your 3rd best team in your conference? We played absolutely horrible and could have scored 50 on them. I think I would give Northwestern that position. I will be honest though, we can be a three loss team with our schedule this year. I really didn't see anything to get excited about, especially our pass defense. We have Ole Miss and Georgia between the hedges coming up.

That said I watched the Michigan game the other night, much improved team in all phases. I think you guys are underestimating how good Utah is. Harbaugh is going to have to recruit a little more talent and you guys will be great again. He is definitely coaching up what you have currently. Big difference now from the prior staff.

Last edited:
Is Wisky really your 3rd best team in your conference? We played absolutely horrible and could have scored 50 on them. I think I would give Northwestern that position. I will be honest though, we can be a three loss team with our schedule this year. I really didn't see anything to get excited about, especially our pass defense. We have Ole Miss and Georgia between the hedges coming up.

That said I watched the Michigan game the other night, much improved team in all phases. I think you guys are underestimating how good Utah is. Harbaugh is going to have to recruit a little more talent and you guys will be great again. He is definitely coaching up what you have currently. Big difference now from the prior staff.

But they beat you guys when then need to.... enough said.

We should have beaten Utah, but that's why they play the games. You should just worry about Bama and if they can show up when it matters this year. I know our conference representative will.

One, we don't know if Wisky is the 3rd best team in the conference. They lost some major players from last year and even though they've had their success over the years, they're not the classic re-load with talent season after season.

Secondly, if you're going to play the transference game like the SEC fans like to do (you know, this team beat that team, they beat them by this much, so every other team in the conference can beat them too), the Buckeye beat Wisconsin by more than Alabama did, and at a neutral site. I don't buy into that argument but thought I'd throw it out there.

Finally, yes Teams in the Big Ten have an easier "conference" schedule than Alabama. But based on recruiting rankings, Alabama has out recruited every other team in the SEC for half a decade. So the Tide should be a favorite in every game with more and deeper talent. If you lose a conference game it is your fault.

The Big 10 did not look too good this weekend. PSU losing to Temple and MSU struggling with Western Michigan. OSU would have been in a fight had the VT QB not broken his collarbone. Minn losing to TCU/Michigan losing to Utah. (Mich/Minn played good opponents but PSU losing to Temple???? Come on!!!!! Once again it looks like OSU will have to carry the conference. I also said this summer that losing Narduzzi would be a major blow to Sparty. Well, how did it look without him against Western on Saturday?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT