ADVERTISEMENT

The extension needs to be signed tomorrow

pestkan

All-League
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2015
Before you put me in front of the firing squad, hear me out:

-I see essentially no chance warde fires JH this year. None. Even if we lose out in humiliating fashion. This is the most bizarre season in CFB history, we have replaced at this point 17 starters from last season, we are still in the top 10 in wins since JH took over.

-the university is facing unprecedented financial strain, as is the athletic department. We’re talking about an upwards of $400 million loss this year overall, essentially the worst possible time ever to make a huge money hire and pay out this staff simultaneously. I understand the AD is self sustaining economically, and I’m sure there’s a Ross level donor who is raging at this point and ready to cough it up, but the optics are horrendous.

-There is not a slam dunk, home run hire. I like Campbell a lot, but he’s never recruited big time players, has lost some truly inexplicable games at ISU, and has never beater Iowa. These are not ideal signs. Napier? Way too big of a jump, not a cultural fit. Fickell is NEVER coming here. Ryan Day is going to the nfl soon. Frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the cowboys coach next season at 10 million or so per year. LF will then coach OSU, as he’s always dreamed of. Lincoln Riley is not coming here. Sean Payton is not coming. Mike tomlin is not coming. John Harbaugh is not coming. Urban is sure as hell not coming, lol.

-realistically, our candidates will boil down to Campbell, bob stoops (a guy that burned out at OU), Jason candle (please no), a Clemson coordinator (what a massive jump that would be), Chris Peterson (please show me how he’s been elite anywhere, never recruited well), Brian Hairsin (massive jump from Boise), Bill O’Brien (a man that admittedly HATES to recruit), Jeff Haftley (8 career games as a HC, lol), Justin Wilcox (0-4 this season), and MAYBE, by far my favorite pick, Mario Cristobal.

-As a caveat, I would ABSOLUTELY support Cristobal replacing JH. People see he only makes $2.5 million and think, ok, let’s give him 6.5 and he’s in for sure. But phil knight (Nike founder, 8 billion dollar net worth) LOVES him, I think he’s matching whatever the hell we offer. So, would he just prefer to be here? I highly doubt it. There is no OSU in the PAC 12. He is feasting on the recruiting trial in California. He is set up to win his division every year with essentially 0 resistance. To undertake this rebuild, in this conference, in a region he’s never coached in, with our academic and geographic limitations, would be a MASSIVE risk for him. I can’t see it.

So, what’s the worst thing we can do? Flounder. We can not recruit under these circumstances. I assure you this class is going to crumble and we’re going to lose ground dramatically with 2022 kids. We are in prime position to sign an epic 2022 class and we have our actual Star QB in 2021, we have to make a move. Sign an incredibly vague extension with the headline JH re-ups for 5 years with a pathetically low buyout, and nothing owed to him if he leaves for NFL etc. basically a PR move only. We need to gut the staff and run this back next year. If we let JH stay as a lame duck we’re going to pause this rebuild for years. Our classes will be a mess and the 2023 cycle will be off to an awful start. Sign it tomorrow. Say the financial terms reflect the Covid situation. It is literally our only reasonable option.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News