ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on the team and the game tomorrow…

argus99

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Dec 24, 2004
Newtown, PA
As I was reading the more mainstream websites for their various opinions on Michigan’s dominating victory over, whether you think they were overrated or not, they were the 11th ranked team that had shown they fixed their defensive issues with the transfer portal and a competent, innovative DC, while their portal QB for this season was being mentioned as a potential Hiesman candidate before Michigan shut him down except for the 4-5 unreal throws that only a guy with “it” can make. (cont’d)

Sidenote: I think Riley is gonna shift to going after the best transfer QBs with a proven record, than waste all that time recruiting on a 5 star guy that’s a 50/50 coin flip he’ll be a player or a bust, who has to courted all year..wasting valuable time, and needs even more time in development to maybe become a star player. I hope Sherrone Moore and Michigan adopts this policy as well. If you’re gonna pay 2+ million for a top-10 QB, it’s better to pay a guy with a résumé of production with 2 years of reality-based eligibility, then spend more cash for a 5 star guy that you have to waste an enormous amount of time constantly fighting off other schools until signing day, then spend all that time developing him for likely 2 years of eligibility before he leaves for the draft..provided he actually becomes a real player. I’m all about efficiency. Make paying for a top QB in the portal priority #1 in off seasons we need one, and recruit underrated guys with something special about them to fill out the QB room. That way Michigan never finds itself in this position again, and allows for finding an overlooked guy who becomes a Heisman candidate top-5 QB in his senior year that has not only happened at Michigan in the past, but seems to happen nearly every year in college. Brian Griese was a walk-on and eventually was drafted In the 1st round by the Broncos, where he ended up passing for close to 40,000 yds in Denver, and more at the other teams he played on before retiring. Baker Makefield was a walk-on at OU, parlayed that into the starting job over a highly rated QB room, won the Heisman, and after maturing, has turned himself into a franchise QB in Tampa. Michigan should always look for those guys, but as far as getting a top guy, buying from the gourmet beef section for the high quality cuts in the portal butcher shop in 20 minutes beats all the time, effort, and uncertainty of recruiting in 2024, which in “beef shopping terms” is an arduous task of finding the right local ranch selling at any one of a dozen possible local farmer’s markets. Their product is sold way above market price for supposedly grass fed imported Swiss cattle that could end up tasting like formaldehyde. That’s the risk you take paying 3 million for a top 5 recruit that may end up being a total bust. No, Moore and his OC should portal shop first for a QB who has proven he can win, then fill out the QB room with ignored, overlooked talent.

Back to point: So much for all of that “Wink is Brown 2.0” stuff eh? Rational guys here said it was going to take time for all the young guys to “get” Martindale’s version of the Michigan “Ravens” inspired defense, and form him to see which players can do what in his defense in a full game of live reps. To dish out that crushingly physical, super aggressive performance that only gave up scores due to blown coverage mistakes made by inexperienced players in the defensive backfield, was pretty amazing to accomplish in Michigan’s 4th game, where they’re used to playing their 4th cupcake team in order to work out the issues on the team before B1G play. This year, after losing 80% of the starting 22 that went 15-0 and won the NC, had to play the no 1 , senior loaded, team in Texas in their 2nd game, and the 11th ranked Trojans in their 4th game before B1G 18? Play begins. Even Fresno State, the opener, is proving to be no joke. For Michigan to emerge from the first third of the season 3-1 and ranked, given the fact that they totally screwed the pooch with that stupid QB battle in camp that wasted 6 MONTHS of developing an offense around Orji, who was obviously the QB after spring practice, and definitely wasted any chance to beat Texas with Warren, when the could have had a real shot with an offense that held onto the ball to let the defense rest, and has transformed an inexperienced OL, who are all natural run play maulers, into a dominating meat grinder that will make even the best DLs quit under the constant brutal assault. IThe offense has been totally transformed with Orji at QB. And for those of you still holding on to the false narrative that Alex can’t throw, over a dozen college football analysts all said they knew Orji can make any throw on the field and has and Anthony Richardson type arm, able to make 60 yd throws on the run. It comes down to a matter of when Michigan needs him to throw to win. They didn’t against USC, and we all know Moore likes to make statements like calling the same play over and over because Penn State couldn’t stop it, and they didn’t need to steal signs when you don’t care what defense they called, Michigan was going to run the ball.

Against Minnesota, I suspect we will see more passing plays called. I just don’t want to see Alex asked to make horizontal throws for WR screens or small gains on short out routes. He doesn’t have that type of arm, nor does it take advantage of his threat to run. He is a vertical thrower off some play action throws up the seams, on deep outs running bootlegs, throwing screens, and hitting posts and crossing routes. We’ll see. They already almost blew the season before it began picking Warren over that monstrous dual threat ++ athlete QB Orji is. At 3-1, the dream of returning to the B1G Championship first, before I entertain thoughts of anything further, is a realistic possibility. Michigan will be all but certainly not lose again before Oregon plays in Ann Arbor, likely at night, on a hopefully freezing November 2nd, and are in for a rude introduction to B1G football in the cold grey sleeting/snowing football Saturdays in the Northern Midwest in November.

Call me crazy, (you’d be medically correct) but suddenly I’m feeling a B1G Championship game that would be the first possible revenge rematch of “The Game” only a week later for a top 4 seed with a bye or a likely 7th-10th seed range and hosting a 1st round playoff game.

I know what I saw in that USC game. I saw a team transformed by putting in the QB who should have been starting all along. And for the agenda driven Wink haters…he gave y’all a better “kiss my hairy beanbag” set of quotes that I could ever come up with. Whomp There it is haters…lol.

That’s all for now. See y’all after the Minnesota beat down.

Go Blue! - Argus

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.