ADVERTISEMENT

Some food for thought. Loss of contributing players going into next year...

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
We all saw what happened to Wisconsin afte severe losses from last year. Some teams reload better. Others don't. Significant losses going into next year based on contributions this year. From top to bottom of the league.

None of this will matter for UM if the current players not named Levert don't step it up big time or if at least one of the freshman don't have a significant impact.

Iowa - 4 Senior starters are leaving.
IU - 2 senior starters are leaving, plus Bielfeldt, plus any (unlikely but possible) early entries.
Maryland - Losing Lyman, maybe Carter (junior), Trimble is gone, maybe Stone (freshman)
Purdue - 3 senior starters, maybe Haas just due to being 7 feet tall
MSU- 3 senior starters, unlikely but maybe Deyonta Davis based on the potential part of the draft. I don't care who Izzo has coming in (Bridges, Winston), when was the last time a group of freshman were giant difference makers for Izzo.
UM - 2 non playing, former senior starters
Wisconsin - Likely nobody but maybe Nigel Hayes
OSU - Likely nobody. Very young team. One junior (Loving) one non contributing senior. Rest of team is freshman and sophomores.
Nebraska - 2 senior starters leaving , Shields and Parker

Reactions: Jtrader
If I had to guess...unless Davis/Teske can step up the level of play for UM down low then JB will probably get pushed out the door in a few years.

I honestly believe that....JB doesn't have a guard problem. He has a big man problem. Just look at this year...let's say Doyle was much better or Wagner was producing like an upperclassman...things wouldn't be as poor. Problem is no opponent has to prepare for anything other than backcuts or the pnr. That's it. Pretty simple to defend. Just go out and take away Robinson.

Yes...defense is a problem. The ball is in JB's court. This is a JB problem...not a Doyle/Donnal/Wilson problem. He recruited these guys are they are either not as athletic as the other bigs in the conference or undersized.

RM

Reactions: Jtrader
Well, Trimble gone. Stone gone, Davis gone.
IU early entries and others still unsure.

All else above still stands. I think UM if most players see very good improvement and Wisconsin are looking awfully strong next year. Big IF with UM players improving enough.

I am not sold at all on Tom Izzo's ability to coach a group of freshman. He has garbage returning next year beyond his freshmen, albeit a fantastic class. Just have never seen his young players have major impacts early, besides Zach Randolph, and Richardson to a much lesser extent in his freshman year.

If I had to guess...unless Davis/Teske can step up the level of play for UM down low then JB will probably get pushed out the door in a few years.

I honestly believe that....JB doesn't have a guard problem. He has a big man problem. Just look at this year...let's say Doyle was much better or Wagner was producing like an upperclassman...things wouldn't be as poor. Problem is no opponent has to prepare for anything other than backcuts or the pnr. That's it. Pretty simple to defend. Just go out and take away Robinson.

Yes...defense is a problem. The ball is in JB's court. This is a JB problem...not a Doyle/Donnal/Wilson problem. He recruited these guys are they are either not as athletic as the other bigs in the conference or undersized.

RM
Doesn't much matter if Teske and/or Davis are the real deal as long as JB continues the 4 wings and a power forward strategy and continues his disdain of rebounding. I don't really enjoy seeing our two guard/small forward trying to defend the other team's 6' 10" guy, but evidently JB sees value in this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT