ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Road Notebook: Thoughts On Dante Moore, Deone Walker, More

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** Dante Moore is the best quarterback in the country. End of update.

*** JK... Look, I really don't get it. Moore is ranked really high across all services but doesn't seem to be included in the discussion as the best quarterback in the country for next cycle. Instead, that conversation has been dominated by Malachi Nelson and Arch Manning. Both are elite prospects, but so is Moore. From an evaluation perspective, Moore has everything you are looking for and displayed that this weekend as he led Detroit (Mich.) King to a win over rival Detroit (Mich.) Cass Tech in a thriller. Moore has amazing ball placement (the best I've seen since Bryce Young), is poised in the pocket (even with mammoth Deone Walker coming after him, Moore stood and delivered), is extremely accurate, has tremendous footwork and is capable of making plays with his legs. It's really hard to find faults in his game. Moore was basically flawless against a strong Cass Tech defense, throwing for 345 yards and five touchdowns. In fact, Moore has thrown for more than 1,000 yards and 12 touchdowns in three games this season (all against really good comp.) You can hear me rant about this even more by clicking here.

*** Aside from the tools and natural ability, Moore has the intangibles. Remember, Moore is young for his grade and is just 16 years old. Yet, he plays like a seasoned vet — maybe because he's been starting at King since he was 14. Moore is a tremendous leader, always lifts up his teammates and commands the respect of everyone around him. Moore also makes the biggest plays when his team needs him the most. The thing that stood out to me the most about Dante this weekend was his relentless work ethic. After knocking off Cass Tech and staying up until 3 a.m. on Saturday (because of the Michigan visit), Moore was back on the field at 6 a.m. for his Sunday session with Devin Gardner. I only went because I was exchanging messages with Dante's father, and he let me know about it. Dante didn't tell me. He works when the cameras aren't looking and is extremely humble.

*** Let's talk about some other King recruits on U-M's radar. Michigan hosted intriguing 2022 wide receiver Lynn Wyche-El for an unofficial visit this summer. While he's not a true target at this time, Wyche-El is still a name to file away. The three-star prospect is Moore's favorite receiver and best friend and was dynamite for King on Friday night. Wyche-El scored a pair of touchdowns and looked the part of a P5 slot receiver. While he is short and needs to add muscle to his frame, Wyche-El has the speed and shiftiness to fit in U-M's 'speed in space' offense. He's worth a late flier, in my opinion, especially with wide receiver targets lacking and the connection to Moore. Michigan also hosted three-star 2023 offensive lineman Johnathan Slack for a visit this summer but did not offer. Slack did well against a really massive Cass Tech front. I think he's a safe play as an interior offensive lineman. The only problem — well, for Slack — is that Michigan is already in the mix with a lot of high level guards/centers for next cycle.

*** This was my second time seeing four-star Cass Tech defensive tackle Deone Walker this season, and he was once again a force in the middle. Walker commanded constant double and even triple teams but was still able to consistently redirect ball carriers. While he didn't have many tackles, Walker was a big factor and altered the way King attacked offensively. Walker obviously has the size and brute strength, but I love how much he's developed technically. With Walker, it's going to be about shaping up his body at the next level. He checks all the boxes as a potential difference maker, especially in Michigan's new 3-4 defensive scheme.

*** 2023 Rivals250 Cass Tech defensive end Jalen Thompson was much more consistent this game than in the opener, which is exactly what I wanted to see. Thompson did a terrific job of pinning his ears back and getting after the aforementioned Moore, sacking him twice. Thompson is a speedy edge rusher that can stand up at the next level or provide a pass rushing presence from the five. I'm really interested to see how Thompson develops physically. He's cut up but has the frame to add a lot of weight if the school of his choice decides to bulk him up. I'm really excited about his ceiling.

*** Michigan hosted 2022 Cass Tech offensive lineman Jackson Pruitt for an unofficial visit over the weekend. Pruitt does not have a Michigan offer but is on the radar. Pruitt played both ways for Cass Tech on Friday night. As an offensive lineman, Pruitt is a safe play at guard. He's technically sound and plays with a mean streak. Defensively, Pruitt isn't as polished. However, he does have the tools to be developed into a really solid defensive tackle. Michigan has talked to him about both sides of the ball. I do want to add that Pruitt plays with a lot of energy and has a magnetic personality. A lot of kids in the area really like him, including Deone and top 2023 offensive line target Amir Herring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News