ADVERTISEMENT

OT: favorite unsung rock drummers (too niche?)

Skye Blue

All-League
Gold Member
May 31, 2002
I'm a drummer, grew up in the 1970's, influenced greatly by the standard greats (Peart/Bonham/Palmer/Bruford) - so many great drummers who I don't see referenced in "best of" lists, but were sooo good and influential. Here are two of my favorite '70's underrated/forgotten drummers:

Gary Mallaber (Steve Miller Band): are those not the best sounding toms ever? I believe Mallaber was also a producer and studio drummer. Mallaber wasn't blazing fast, nor flashy, but had amazing feel and developed some great parts many non-drummers would recognize - the intro to Swingtown, intro to Take the Money and Run, Fly Like an Eagle, and of course that amazing cowbell on Jungle Love. Criticism - too much China Boy cymbal

Mike Derosier, Heart: I marvel over Derosier's phrasing and restraint on Heart's first album. On Magic Man it took me some time to replicate his hi hat/bass drum pattern in the intro and verses. On Crazy on You his dubbed tom fills pre-chorus were powerful. On Barracuda (2nd album) his bass drum parts were very reminiscent of his idol, John Bonham. Like Mallaber I felt Derosier had well above average feel. Only (small) criticism is one I have of many '70's drummers - relatively too much hi hat versus ride for timekeeping

OK - yours?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News