ADVERTISEMENT

OT: music for $400, Art - name top (top 10) favorite instumentals by rock bands

Skye Blue

All-League
Gold Member
May 31, 2002
obviously this excludes jazz (an entirely different conversation). Most successful bands are loathe to do instrumentals, as they don't often move record sales and it may feel like a wasted effort without lyrics. I personally love/often prefer instrumentals (love a lot of jazz, most classical (no opera, please)). My Top 10 instrumentals from rock & roll bands follow. I do not include solo openings, like EVH's Eruption, and do not include covers. Interested to see other's lists.

1) YYZ, Rush - best use of Morris Code since Clay Matthews selling insurance
2) Karn Evil 9, 2nd Impression, Emerson Lake & Palmer - least known/played of this 35 minute, mostly instrumental opus - intro clearly jazz piano - always wished Keith Emerson would have stuck more to playing the grand piano and less time on synth
3) Fire on High - Electric Light Orchestra - used to hear part of it as a promo for CBS Sports, only realized in the last year it was ELO
4) Going Home - Dire Straits (if I had it on vinyl the needle would have worn through a couple of copies)
5) Duke's Travels - Genesis - at a time when the band was veering towards Pop (Duke album), this song was part of a three song instrumental segment (Behind the Lines, Duke's Travels, Duke's End) - love how Phil Collins develops a tom drum pattern mixed in without a clear idea of where it is heading before Tony Banks sets the melody and the drum part morphs perfectly
6) The Main Monkey Business - Rush - should be higher up, didn't want to flood the list with one band (easy enough to do)
7) Wot Gorilla - Genesis - as I drummer, I marvel over how distinct/unique Collins was as a drummer - I would pay to see the studio video, I have no idea how he does parts of this
8) The Three Fates: Clotho-Lachesis-Atropos - Emerson Lake & Palmer - this was the first song (?) that attracted me to the band - not long before the most famous 10-10 tie
9) Vortex - Asia - locked in a studio trilogy Vortex, in part, features a unique Carl Palmer double bass drum pattern that I can't come close to replicating - Palmer claims he nailed it on the first studio recording, I call BS
10) Tromontane - Foreigner - yeah, that Foreigner, the band stuck forever with the "corporate rock/pop" label that will preclude them from serious consideration for the Rock & Roll HoF despite (or because?) selling 80 million albums - the instrumental is not as technically challenging as #'s 1-9 (ex-Dire Straits), but is still catchy

OK, have at it - what others are compelling?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News