ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Rock Bands LIVE

thecapper

All-League
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2002
Redondo Beach, CA
www.calparolelawyer.com
Great thread on the best rock n' roll bands. Now let's narrow it down a bit to decide which bands are the best in concert.

For me the answer is easy: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. I haven't seen them in concert since the Born In The USA tour in the 80s, but those were always 4-5 hours of high energy, non-stop playing and story-telling by Bruce. His tales during Pink Cadillac, Growing Up, etc., are the stuff of legends, as are his introductions of the band during Rosalita. I've heard that his concerts still go close to four hours. I admit I can't bring myself to go see one ever since Clarence passed on.

This probably should be "favorite" live bands, rather than "best", but either is fine.

Runner-up: Billy Joel. He puts on a great live show.

As a huge Yes fan, I must say that they are really good in concert, but not at Bruce's level, mostly because Jon Anderson doesn't have much stage presence. The playing is phenomenal. Also, they get a special award for best stage design for live concerts. Several times, their stages were dressed up as the album cover for the tour they were in. Relayer was the best of these.

Finally, a quick note about the worst band in concert: The Eagles. No stage presence at all, and the songs all were played pretty much just like they sound on their albums. Little to no improvising that makes concerts stand out.

Okay, have at it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News