ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Coordinators in the Harbaugh era

90MVarsity

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2020
Lots of talk about the QBs and not a lot of talk about Josh Gaddis.

I heard that Michigan is 70th in the nation scoring touchdowns when facing 1st and goal. That's simply not good enough. Almost all of our wins should have had more points.

Fisch was outstanding in year one. The Drevno/Pep experiment was not great, but okay. Pep was better without Drev and Drev's lines were not as good as Wariner's. Here's the thing about Pep - Don Brown giving up 50 a game to OSU got our OC fired (but not Don Brown). Speed in space became desirable for UM when Brown's defenses got speeded in spaced by OSU. Gaddis came in and it was speedy 3 and outs.

When it comes to Cade, the smart money says you SHOULD NOT replace a starter who is 6-0. I agree with that thinking. Fans and the media talking about "ceilings" has gotten out of control. Joe Milton will always have a higher ceiling than Cade but will never be a better QB. Milton is bigger, stronger, taller, runs better and throws better. But Cade processes information honestly as good as any QB we've had since Chad Henne. AND unlike Milton and Shea whose mentality on deep balls was "throw it really far so it's not intercepted, and if we are lucky, our guy might be that far down field to catch it" Cade actually tries to complete the deep balls and has completed more of them in a smaller sample size.

All this is to say, I wouldn't replace my QB at 6-0 based on ceiling. But I'm not a fan of Josh Gaddis. He is being helped to this record by Harbaugh reinserting himself into the offense. This power run game is Harbaugh's stuff. Gaddis running his 3 and out speed in space from 2019 and 2020 has disappeared. Bubble screens on every other play that Gaddis called is gone.

If we can upgrade our OC like we have our DC, the Michigan football program takes a giant step forward. And THAT is more important that whether Cade or JJ is under center.

Moore, Hart and Weiss are new voices in the offensive room. But ZERO points in a half versus Rutgers. And When you get gifted a 1st and goal off a muffed punt in Wisconsin and settle for a field goal? You need a new OC. Josh Gaddis is the weakest link in the Michigan football program. Periodtt. [sic]

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News