ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan Stacked in 2016. My God!

scfanblue

Senior
Oct 25, 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
If I need to be corrected, please feel free to do so, but my God, Michigan will be awesome next year with who is returning on BOTH side of the ball.
Offense- 8 returning starters including Smith at RB, Darboh and Chesson, Butt, Higdon and 4 OL coming back. By all accounts, O'Korn likely to be the QB and is far better than Ruddock. This does not inculde some of the incoming players like King Davis and Kareem Walker who will likely sign with Michigan.
Defense- 7 returning starters including the entire DL is back and secondary. ILB will be only position impacted but needs a serious upgrade anyhow.
If I am accurate on this then Harbaugh's Wolverines will be awesome next year.

Smith returning is not really a good thing - he did little this year as a RB - great blocker, terrible runner. Also, while O'Korn may have a higher upside Ruddock was a fantastic game manager who understood situations in the game and how effectively to manage them. He did 5x better then I expected him to do to be honest with you. He struggled in his first game against Utah and he has been great since then, including last week against OSU where had he stayed in the game he would have had well over 350 yards in the game.

LBs is a huge glaring weakness and unless something changes this same DL and LBs were unable to stop up-tempo teams. I can guarantee you that every single team next year will try to run tempo on us and you can't stop tempo teams unless you are very strong at LB.

We have talent coming back - but I am not sure this is JH type talent. This is mostly the Hoke holdovers that he was able to patch together and get 9 wins with. The following players returning is a huge boost though as each of these guys, you would expect, will be as good or even better next year:
  • Peppers
  • Mone
  • Glasgow
  • Chesson
  • Darboh
  • Butt (assuming he returns)
  • Lewis
  • Mason Cole (who was attending prom just 18 months ago, still young)
The rest - not sure how good they will be.

Assumption on O'korn being better than Rudock. Maybe a better long ball thrower.

We will see who returns. I would love to see Smith convert to fb. I think Deveon should strongly consider it because that is his potential meal ticket to the NFL.

I think UM should be a 9-3 team...give or take 1 win/loss although the linebackers are a concern. Schedule is manageable and MSU and OSU may not be as good next year.

We will see. Successful 2015 but as we all know...work to do.

RM

Reactions: ThatsMrSpartan2U
If I need to be corrected, please feel free to do so, but my God, Michigan will be awesome next year with who is returning on BOTH side of the ball.
Offense- 8 returning starters including Smith at RB, Darboh and Chesson, Butt, Higdon and 4 OL coming back. By all accounts, O'Korn likely to be the QB and is far better than Ruddock. This does not inculde some of the incoming players like King Davis and Kareem Walker who will likely sign with Michigan.
Defense- 7 returning starters including the entire DL is back and secondary. ILB will be only position impacted but needs a serious upgrade anyhow.
O line needs to get significantly better. Until we can run the ball on a team with a pulse, we will struggle in big games.

O'Korn has had a full year to learn the system and coaches on staff have remarked about how good he is with a cannon for an arm the ability to run. He started at Houston for a full year so he has game experience.

Besides Ben Gideon, anyone else notice any other LBs who got meaningful snaps that will be back next year?

O'Korn passed for more than 3,000 yards as a Houston freshman. Coaches love style. OL has Kugler at center and at least 3 strong experienced backups in addition to a very good incoming class. UM needs a break away runner. I think UM will be very good. MooU graduates its QB and best DLers; OSU will lose lots of junions in addition to seniors. From 3 experienced QBs to 1; best RB leaves and I think 7 defenders. Both are beatable IF: UM can play the zone read better; DBs continue to grow; OL improves.

I would worry about 2017 as a potential down year. The current freshman class has only 14 in it. it includes two QB's and a kicker. The lack of depth could be a real issue in 2017 with the new recruits being very young. It could be a building year.

Offense- 8 returning starters including Smith at RB, Darboh and Chesson, Butt, Higdon and 4 OL coming back. By all accounts, O'Korn likely to be the QB and is far better than Ruddock. This does not include some of the incoming players like King Davis and Kareem Walker who will likely sign with Michigan.

I bet Butt goes to the NFL... dude is a STUD TE and Guys like Gronkowski are making a killing in the NFL. Id be mildly surprised if he doesn't declare.

With all due respect if O'Korn were really "far better" than Rudock he would have been starting. As it is, it wasn't O'Korn that the staff put into the game when Rudock went down so Im not sure I buy that line of thinking at all....

As for Walking to UM.... Im hearing that Alabama is a very serious player for Walker

I bet Butt goes to the NFL... dude is a STUD TE and Guys like Gronkowski are making a killing in the NFL. Id be mildly surprised if he doesn't declare.

With all due respect if O'Korn were really "far better" than Rudock he would have been starting. As it is, it wasn't O'Korn that the staff put into the game when Rudock went down so Im not sure I buy that line of thinking at all....

As for Walking to UM.... Im hearing that Alabama is a very serious player for Walker
Go do some research on O'Korn and tell us again why he didn't start...

O'Korn was a transfer (not a graduate transfer) and had to sit out this year.

As far as UM next year, they return a lot, and especially in the trenches. I think the difference between a good season and a great season next year will depend on the development of an above average OL and running game - yes, UM returns most of its OL, but for UM to be really good, they need the OL to be a "plus" unit (top 2 or 3 in the Big Ten).

how do you say that O'Korn will be better then Ruddock, he is untested and if it wasn't for Ruddock Mich probably loses a couple more games. I thought Ruddock did a good job for Mich this year.

Harbaugh needs to find some difference makers at linebacker. I think our defensive line is going to be much stronger next year, mainly because we get most of them back but also because I think Harbaugh is going to land a few top notch defensive lineman in this recruiting class. We really need a 2-3 of the younger linebackers to step up for this team to take a step forward next year. Harbaugh also really needs to land Walker because we need at least one stud runningback on the team. We should be in really good shape as long as Harbaugh closes strong with this recruiting class which I think he will.

how do you say that O'Korn will be better then Ruddock, he is untested and if it wasn't for Ruddock Mich probably loses a couple more games. I thought Ruddock did a good job for Mich this year.

O'Korn has started 18 games already in his career.

I feel certain that if Harbaugh thought O'Korn was better then Ruddock then he would have started.

O'Korn was a transfer - he could have been Tom Brady and he still would not have been able to start even if JH wanted him to. He was ineligible to play this year - transfer rules.

Reactions: detroitjohn
O'Korn was a transfer - he could have been Tom Brady and he still would not have been able to start even if JH wanted him to. He was ineligible to play this year - transfer rules.
Buckeyes, here is your thread summary:
  • O'KORN IS A TRANSFER
  • HE WAS INELIGIBLE TO PLAY LAST YEAR BECAUSE HE TRANSFERRED
  • MANY INSIDERS SAID HE WAS PLAYING BETTER THAN RUDOCK IN PRACTICE
  • HE HAS A LOT OF PLAYING EXPERIENCE, STARTED AT HOUSTON
  • WE ANTICIPATE HARBAUGH WILL DO A LOT WITH HIM BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT HARBAUGH DOES

Reactions: ChicagoBlueFan
Harbaugh needs to find some difference makers at linebacker. I think our defensive line is going to be much stronger next year, mainly because we get most of them back but also because I think Harbaugh is going to land a few top notch defensive lineman in this recruiting class. We really need a 2-3 of the younger linebackers to step up for this team to take a step forward next year. Harbaugh also really needs to land Walker because we need at least one stud runningback on the team. We should be in really good shape as long as Harbaugh closes strong with this recruiting class which I think he will.

Agreed. We need SPEED at the ILB position coupled with good size. Hoke did a poor job recruiting this area which is surprising because Matttison (the DC) was the ILB coach! The big 250 lumbering ILB's that we have simply can't make the plays that they need to. On Elliott's first big run last Saturday in which he bounced it outside and broke free, only Wormley from the DE spot was there as the corner trying to come up but was sealed providing the seam for Elliott. Where were the ILB's on run flow?looking painfully slow and were sucked up inside but not athletic enough to change direction and make a play. Everyone else, including the OLB were in man coverage and trying to break off for run support. Bolden is simply not that good period. As for a RB-Derrick Green has to be a major bust as an incoming 5 star recruit that was NEVER developed under Hoke.

I agree.

Totally. Harbaugh should've just ignored NCAA rules and got the kid on the field.
guess it doesn't make a difference then, O'Korn wouldn't have faired any better then Ruddock since Mich couldn't stop the Ohio State defense.

guess it doesn't make a difference then, O'Korn wouldn't have faired any better then Ruddock since Mich couldn't stop the Ohio State defense.
Rudock, not Ruddock you schmuck and no one calls us Mich, it's Michigan or UM...typical University of Ohio State fan

We're gonna be good next year.. I think O'Korn will have the benefit learning the system but looking at how Jake was playing the last 4/5 weeks it'll be interesting to see if he's better at least right away. Rudock issue was getting comfortable with the offense. O'Korn's issue could be overall experience. However, if he's off and running out of the gate boy we're gonna be real good. Easy schedule to start the season to get the offense off on the right track.

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
We'll never know how he would have "faired", since Harbaugh foolishly wouldn't play an ineligible kid. Presumably he might have fared better than you are on Match.com.

Rudock, not Ruddock you schmuck and no one calls us Mich, it's Michigan or UM...typical University of Ohio State fan
i call them what i want. Life must be pretty pathetic that you have to worry about a little thing like that.

We'll never know how he would have "faired", since Harbaugh foolishly wouldn't play an ineligible kid. Presumably he might have fared better than you are on Match.com.
I guess your still not over the fact that my little sister kicked your ass in grade school. You probably tell your friends that there's nothing to the story. Right.

I guess your still not over the fact that my little sister kicked your ass in grade school. You probably tell your friends that there's nothing to the story. Right.
Wow, the ghey stalking continues. Stupid people are funny.
You're not "fairing" so well in this thread, 'tard.

i call them what i want.
Why, of course you do, you wouldn't be SINUAY if you didn't do exactly what you wanted with your life, like spend lots of time on another team's board posting misinformed and inaccurate things and looking increasingly foolish as you did so. These Bucks...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT