ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Insider Recruiting Notes On Five-Star DB Domani Jackson

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** Before taking in today's Pylon All-American practice, I spent most of my morning with five-star 2022 Michigan cornerback target Domani Jackson. The Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei product was very candid when I talked to him. Like counterpart Will Johnson, Jackson is looking to make a decision soon. And by soon, I mean before the end of spring. Jackson wants to be a leader for his class and believes his mind is very, very close to being made up, saying 'I pretty much know.' I still think this is three-team race between Michigan, Ohio State and USC. As I recently mentioned, USC has optimism. Ohio State does as well, and Jackson has a lot of family in Ohio. Jackson and his father grew up Michigan fans, but the stability question marks did hurt U-M.

*** Both Jackson and his father, Randy, were happy with the Harbaugh extension. It gave them a sense of relief and eased the aforementioned concern. Obviously, there is still some staff turnover, and both Jackson and Randy are really interested to see what happens with Michigan cornerbacks coach Michael Zordich, whose contract expires Monday. Zordich is also from Ohio, and Randy told me he actually remembers Zordich from his time at Cardinal Mooney, a high school in the area. What happens with Zordich could have major implications in this recruitment. Neither Jackson nor Randy knew much about new defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald, but they do plan on doing their research on them.

*** So what about the package deal with Will Johnson? It's still a very realistic option. Randy has exchanged some recent texts with Will's father and ex-Wolverine Deon Johnson, and the two spent some time together at the big visit weekend. Meanwhile, Jackson and Johnson talk all the time. In fact, Johnson was supposed to fly down to Dallas to play with Jackson for Los Angeles-based club 7v7 team Ground Zero this weekend but did not due to a minor ankle injury. Will told me he really wanted to play with Jackson and hopes to do so soon when he's not playing for his own club team, Detroit's Max Ex. Johnson plans to visit USC soon, and Jackson will likely meet up with him while he's in town.

*** At this point, I'm still really afraid of Ohio State. Even with the extension for Harbaugh, there are still some unanswered questions on the defensive side of the ball, and Ohio State is about as stable as you can be. The Buckeyes are also competing for a national title. Both Jackson and Johnson have been to campus and loved their time in Columbus. While in Dallas, Jackson actually went out to see 2022 Ohio State quarterback commit Quinn Ewers with some of his teammates. Ewers is a supreme talent and a huge vocal leader for OSU on the trail.

*** USC remains a bit of a wildcard. I could see Jackson ending up there for sure. While he's not a true California kid, a ton of Mater Dei players end up staying home and playing for the Trojans. On top of that, Donte Williams is the best recruiter out West and has made Jackson a top priority. There also appears to be stability there now, and Williams just got promoted to associate head coach. I'm not sure I could see Johnson going that far away from home, but he is visiting, so I'm not completely ruling it out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News