ADVERTISEMENT

INSIDE THE FORT: MARCH 6

ChrisBalas

Austin Powers, Goldmember
Jul 6, 2001
Dexter, MI
www.thewolverine.com
The latest edition of INSIDE THE FORT, including much of what we've picked up behind the scenes on football, basketball and recruiting in the last few weeks.

Starting with winter football and the latest on conditioning, who’s stepping up, etc. …

It’s been a good offseason for many guys, and those you would expect to lead have really stepped up. On defense, defensive linemen Kwity Paye and Carlo Kemp have really led the way with linebacker Josh Ross, a kid anxious to come back with a huge year. As noted before, the focus is on the “new way” compared to the old way and weeding out guys whose first priority isn’t winning for Michigan.

There were a few last year, and in hindsight, there are things the coaches probably would have done differently.

On offense, fifth-year senior Nick Eubanks has really made a move in the leadership/work ethic department, and he’s going to be one who really impresses this fall if he continues, those close to it predict. He’s been outstanding. Fifth-year senior kicker Quinn Nordin is another, and both quarterbacks (Dylan McCaffrey and Joe Milton) have excelled in that area.

As we mentioned a few weeks back, a former U-M employee who was extremely close to it said U-M’s best chance to catch Ohio State (in his opinion) was redshirt sophomore Milton, assuming he continued to learn how to read defenses, etc. Some close to it now believe he might be the most motivated guy on the team, but McCaffrey remains the odds-on favorite to win the job and is (at least currently) “the most talented guy.”

The offensive line, meanwhile, is so young that the leaders are still emerging. There’s a lot of talent here, but not the group of fourth- and fifth-year seniors to show the younger guys how it’s done. It’s going to be interesting to see how that comes together. We’d heard good things about veteran Chuck Filiaga heading into February, for example … it’s been quiet since. We’ll see where he is when spring practice starts several days from now.

We do know the offensive line experts close to it love the last few classes, though, and they believe line coach Ed Warinner does, too. Warinner has been a very good recruiter and is hands on in identifying guys he really likes. That’s one of the reasons they really expended a lot of energy on Colorado standout (and three-star) Reece Atteberry.

Warinner saw him in camp and then watched Atteberry, a four-year starter in high school, twice in practice. He absolutely loved him and uses Don Brown’s word “Dude” reserved for the best of the best to describe him. He’s a “tough finisher” who brings it on every play like Ben Bredeson did, and the fact that he wants to play center makes him even ore intriguing.

U-M strongly believes he’s a four-star, and if not he’s the “best three-star lineman in the country” and probably in Warinner’s nearly 40-year career. He held Notre Dame and Ohio State offers and the Buckeyes pushed hard, Atteberry said. He was all about U-M, though, and loves the challenge of helping U-M back to the top of the Big Ten.

More football …

We recently ran into somebody who used to work in the Michigan recruiting office a decade ago and started to talk shop. This person is now in the corporate sector but still has an interest in U-M’s success — what he said probably won’t surprise anyone.

If the Wolverines want to keep pace with the Joneses, he said, the school might have to bend on some of its policies. One would be the “no online classes” restriction to which more and more schools don’t adhere.

“If you want to win at the highest level — and yes, that’s still the goal — that’s got to change,” he said.

He compared it to bailing a boat that’s taking on more water every year. The football factories operate differently and asking the U-M staff to win and win big going up against that AND the other recruiting garbage they’re competing with is just unreasonable.

As we noted not long ago, the same has been said on the basketball side, where John Beilein was essentially a unicorn in how he operated with success. At some point, it becomes too much.

We’re not completely sure where it’s headed, but we don’t expect the university to change its policies any time soon. We do believe Harbaugh will continue to adjust — the overseas trip ever three or so years, for example, is one idea that was floated months ago and will likely be implemented to make sure the kids are getting the most out of the spring.

Also, as mentioned, there is a Harbaugh extension in the works, and the Michigan coach has made it clear he doesn’t want to go anywhere. Sources close to it say he’s not overly concerned about getting it signed, confident it will get done.

More football …

NationalFootballPost.com NFL draft analyst Dion Caputi talked in depth this week about two of the most intriguing Michigan prospects at last week’s NFL combine in Indianapolis, in wideout Donovan Peoples-Jones and linebacker Josh Uche and their NFL draft stocks moving forward.

Peoples-Jones made headlines when he recorded a 44.5-inch vertical jump and a 139-inch broad jump, both of which were the best among all participants in this year’s combine.

Were his phenomenal numbers enough to boost his draft stock significantly though?

“They absolutely were,” Caputi said. “I don’t know how that will translate to where he gets picked, though he’s certainly now re-emerged on the radar as far as the order these receivers may go in. There will be some truly elite receiving prospects that get pushed down the board with how much top-heavy talent there is. Peoples-Jones is not part of the top tier of guys who may get pushed down the pile as a result, so he’s currently a part of that second or third tier. He’s probably going to suffer from it more than most, but that’s not to say he won’t catch on somewhere in a situation where he won’t get an opportunity to do quite well early on.

“He’s very experienced and has gotten a lot of time on the field over the past few years, so he’s put himself in a good position to appeal to a lot of teams, perhaps in the third or fourth-round range. I think he’s done quite well for himself, and has no limitations physically. It would not be shocking to me if he goes above some of the more productive receivers who were at the college level last year, and maybe sneaks into that second round. He’s a third or fourth-round guy to me, and the big question will be whether or not he can sneak into that second round.”

Uche, on the other hand, sat out the physical drills at the combine with a hamstring injury, following an outstanding Senior Bowl showing in late January that had caused his draft stock to skyrocket.

Caputi explained that Uche sitting out the drills with injury didn’t hurt his stock, thanks to the fact he’s already proven he can be a terror off the edge in games.

“He’s one of the more gifted athletes, so it’s not surprising to me that a guy like him has been so valued by so many people I’ve talked to,” Caputi said. “Uche has good pedigree and good experience, and I’m a big fan of his size and athleticism combination. He played at about 250 and carried the weight very well, and is one of the more appealing athletes to me when it comes to the Michigan defense. He’s also a Miami guy, so we know what kind of athlete he is when considering that area is a hot bed for talent. He aligns with a lot of the great athletes who have come out of that region.

“I’m a big fan of what Uche offers. To me, he’s a 4-3 linebacker only, and I don’t think that’s a problem or limits him. He’s a good pursuit linebacker who can get to the quarterback, and is on the cusp of what he can be as far as pass rushing goes. We didn’t see him in Indy of course, but there is a good base of talent there for him as well. Uche has a great ability to transfer speed into power and can be a much better pass rusher than what we saw at the college level. There will be a lot of opportunity for him to be used in a better way at the next level in that regard.

“He has great length as well and the size is very appealing, and I think some might even view him as an edge in some cases, probably as a 4-3 outside linebacker. I say he’s a 4-3 only player, but could also be a dime edge and get after the quarterback in some packages. It’s all about projecting talent to the next level, and I think he has a lot of good traits that translate nicely to the pros. I think he can do a bit more than what he did at Michigan, especially positionally during his time there.”

Finishing with basketball and recruiting …

Will Isaiah Livers test the NBA waters?

At the beginning of the year, this seemed like a virtual certainty … in fact, it was almost a foregone conclusion among many that he’d declare and leave no matter what.

Now, those close to it think he comes back barring a deep run in the NCAA Tournament in which he really shows out. Livers, of course, has been slowed by a number of injuries, first a groin and then an ankle, that has prevented him from having a huge year. He’s still been good, but nothing like he was at the beginning of the year, and it’s clear he’s a step slower and a bit more out of shape (not his fault, of course).

We believe he’ll be back, but as we’ve said all along, you never know (he was high fiving everyone from the managers to people in the stands after leaving the floor last night) ... and we’d expect some other attrition, regardless. The Austin Davis news caught most people off guard (he’ll return for a fifth year). As we had mentioned, Toledo thought they were adding a tough center to next year’s team — instead, Davis will be wearing maize and blue for one more season.

On the recruiting front We caught up with 2020 California shooting guard Josh Christopher’s father Laron Christopher recently, and despite reports that his five-star son was going to decide April 13 or so, Laron said there were no such plans as of now.

He also stressed it was his son’s decision, and that he was excited to watch how he handled the process. It was clear, however, that head coach Juwan Howard and the Wolverines have done a great job recruiting him and put themselves in good position.

There was one interesting tidbit he added, however. He and Greg Brown Sr.’s father have talked (and continue to). The five-star Texan enjoyed a great visit to Ann Arbor, and while Texas has always been on his mind (and the Longhorns have played their way into saving Shaka Smart’s job, perhaps an NCAA Tournament berth with several wins in a row), U-M made an impact.

“It will be interesting to see where he ends up,” Laron Christopher said, admitting they’ve been keeping an eye on that one.

Regardless, his son really likes Juwan Howard, and they loved how the Michigan fans embraced the U-M coach at the game they witnessed (“like a rock star”). Christopher is familiar with the kids Michigan is bringing in and knows them well, and there’s a reason many believe U-M is the team to beat. He and Howard have bonded.

This one could end soon, or it could drag on a bit longer. Regardless, the Wolverines are in really good shape here heading into NCAA Tournament time. Arizona State had impressed the family, as well, in winning several straight, but a recent three-game losing streak, including a loss to 14-16 Washington, doesn’t help.

Christopher’s brother does play at ASU, however, so you can never count the Sun Devils out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News