ADVERTISEMENT

I saw the 2nd half. I thought UM was trying. They weren't trying to lose..

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
and LeVERT played well. Thought Walton was solid.

Irvin and Chatman stunk up the joint.

UM just go outplayed and outcoached in the 2nd half. NJIT may not be a very good but they were good today. As Bardo stated...have to give NJIT props. Lynn played outstanding. Guy was lights out today.

Team was a tough matchup. UM isn't great by any stretch right now.

UM is relatively average defensively correct?
UM is pretty weak on interior defense?
Irvin was off. Bad performance except for the last block? Irvin should have been taking shots more mid-range. He will learn. Sort of became cold shooting Stu today.
Chatman. He struggled more than Irvin and that is saying something.
LeVERT was busting his chops to get a W.

This team got beat fair and square by a team that was better then them today. Lynn was hot. Played well. Got confident and UM didn't bring their A or B game. It happens. That isn't what I define as embarrassing. I call that competition.

Reality Man
This post was edited on 12/6 7:08 PM by Reality Man

Not long ago NJIT had a lsoing string LONGER than UCLAs winning

string. They couldn't get recruits and had walk-ons playing. The local papers will do this up a lot in the Sunday papers, as will the local media. Why can't someone else lose to these teams, why us? "74

Why doesn't UM beat an ACC team? This team is young and

has some weak points and got beat today. Didn't UCONN lose the other day to an unknown?

It happens.

Reality Man

Most of us knew going into this year we were not going to be a great team....we just lost too much from last year and have too many young players. We knew Caris would be really good which he has been but the other players all have question marks. We really needed Irvin to take a big step up this year but he hasn't made the type of improvement to give our team another top shelf scorer at this point. Chatman was supposed to be our top freshman and a big contributor but he is obviously struggling with the transition from HS to big time college basketball.

I suspect this loss may be a blessing in disguise. The team is not as good as many thought and they will need to work to become a better team. Beilein is a great coach and I think he will use this loss to make the team better.

Couldn't agree more. Blessing in disguise. I do think Irvin

is a high end scorer...he just stunk up the joint.

Here is the bottom line. For this team to excel...the perimeter JB offensive team...they need to get scoring from 2 of the primary scorers in this system...the 2, 3 & 4 positions.

They didn't. It's hard to win with 2 of the 3 main scorers giving you ZILCH.

In addition...NJIT played unbelievably well...they fed off of Lynn combined that UM is very weak defensively inside against quicker players. If I were an opponent...I would actually go small against UM (see Jordan Morgan) because UM isn't going to take advantage of their size on the defensive end except when it comes to rebounding.

So in essence...if your guys can 'out quick' the UM post defenders and score then you are in business. UM played poorly all things considered and NJIT probably played their best game in the last 3 years.

They deserved to win. Well done.

Reality Man

I would say Irvin is more of a shooter then scorer. When his outside shot is on he scores a lot of points but he still doesn't look completely comfortable taking the ball to the basket. So, when his outside shot is not falling he's not an effective scorer. Hopefully this part of his game continues to evolve.

Never seen Yale play , but have read about NJIT Yale would have

a better chance in beating NJIT then the other way around. IMHO "74
This post was edited on 12/7 4:21 PM by wolverines74

From reading about this game, it sounds like perimeter defense could be improved. NJIT won by hitting a high percentage of 3's. That's often how upsets happen.

Also, the longer NJIT stayed in the game, the more their players were fired up to play hard. Over the last 7-8 minutes, as they sensed a big W, they just wanted it more. If you let some of these teams hang around, they just might get the idea they can beat you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT