ADVERTISEMENT

Glad that the QB Michigan should have started from game 1 is finally getting his shot against USC..

argus99

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Dec 24, 2004
Newtown, PA
Well, the only dynamic QB on the team, the guy on the “2024 Top 100 Freaks in College Football” list, one of the few ++ players on the team, and likely the most dangerous threat to score 1 vs 11 on every offensive snap, is finally getting his 1st start against USC on Saturday. I’ve made it abundantly clear that I believe to my marrow that starting Orji is not only 3 games past due, but the decision to start Alex should have been made after Spring Practice. The coaches would have had 6 months to devise an offense specifically tailored to what he excels at before the season with 2 of the games of the 4 big matchups Michigan had to win a minimum of 2 in the scenario of a 10-2 record with 2 wins out of games against Texas/USC in the first 4 games of the season, and Oregon/ohio in November, would safely land Michigan in the seeds 6-12 in the CFP this season.

By dicking around with a ridiculous QB1 battle in camp against a walk-on and the only other QB with enough experience to possibly win the battle still not healthy enough to compete, instead of practicing a version of “Smash” Football designed around Orji’s ++ athleticism, the coaching staff blew the chance to have any shot at winning the Texas game. Warren is guy with a nice story, but he had no business “winning” the QB battle against a guy like Orjibecause I saw enough in the opener that his lack of talent, athletically and as a processor under duress, meant he had absolutely ZERO chance to be a the playmaker JJ was running the same offense in 2023 this season. It’s evident to me that Moore and his OC felt that choosing Warren because he fit their system was more critical to the offense’s success this year than designing a new offense that would maximize Orji’s ++ athleticism and explosive scoring ability, and would likely give Michigan a real shot at another B1G championship and a top 4 seed in the CFP.

I have no idea why they didn’t pull him early in the 2nd quarter against Texas, as we all witnessed that he can’t even execute the most basic passing plays in the playbook under live fire. Warren has serious faults that QBs rarely fix…like his chronic flaw for not stepping through throwing passes in high pressure plays, that cause him to overthrow his targets by a yards high, or throw game changing INTs due to his wild inaccuracy, and consistently made mind numbing really bad decisions under duress. make me think of all the failed NFL QBs like Carson Wentz and now Will Levis of the Titans, who cannot stop themselves from making, to quote Titans HC Callahan, “What the F*C* are you doing?!?” surreally stupid “Hero-ball” mistakes that cost their teams games and playoff chances. I can’t tell you how many games I watched borderline HOF Eagles QB and Michigan nemesis Donovan McNabb chronically throw the ball into the turf at a receiver’s feet at least 5 times a game for his whole career, and while he was great, who knows how many SBs Andy Reid would have had coaching the Eagles if not for McNabb making countless of non competitive throws in all those years they made it to the NFC championship games and lost, or the SB the Eagles “lost” to the Patriots before we found out Belichick was pulling a “Stalions” on all NFL opponents for years in “Spy-gate”. He could never stop himself, just like Warren loses his mud making high pressure throws will never go away. It was a serious error not being decisive in the Spring when they KNEW they had nobody close to his abilities at QB on the team. If they wanted a offensive system fit at QB, then getting a good portal transfer should have been the primary objective of the program before the maize and Blue confetti settled to the turf after the NC. I assumed they’d give Orji his shot this year before the 2025 QB with real chance to beat him out arrives on campus. That would have been my play, and I fear Michigan seriously shot themselves in the foot with the logic-defying mistakes they made with the QB position in the off-season that likely ruined any chance of making the CFP and trying to defend their championship belt.

As far as the USC game, I just hope Campbell and Moore have a whole second playbook of Alex specific concepts ready to go, and they let the kid play free without a leash. I wanna see Mullings, Edwards, and Orji used like Lytle, Huckleby, and Leach in that Michigan 75-79 hybrid wishbone offense, something that could have be just as deadly as those 3 legends in the offensive backfield if Moore and Campbell weren’t married to a system that nobody on the team that is a “fit” is good enough to execute.

We shall see come Saturday. If Michigan stays with Orji from this game forward and Michigan ends up just missing out on one of the 12 team playoff seeds, winning 2 of the remaining 3 critical games but end up 9-3 and on the bubble for being 1 of the 12 teams in the CFP, remember how Moore and Campbell’s wanting a “system QB” to run the JJ offense that, surprise surprise, requires a QB of JJ’s caliber, mentally and physically, in order to win big with it. This reticence to being willing to scrap the offense to create a new one based around Orji, literally the only true difference maker and the most explosive and physical freak player on the whole team, the only logical choice of all the kids they had in the QB room after JJ announced he was moving on up to the big league, is just infuriating to me.

I just hope Sherrone lets Alex ball out free of the OC calling plays like Orji throws a football like he lived in Europe and throws like a shot putter. Alex can throw the ball and would have hit the WR on the dot with that bomb last game if the WR had ran the route, instead of coasting down before he realized the ball heading his way wasn’t a Warren under thrown moonshot. If he doesn’t drift and shift down we would have seen just how big of an arm Orji really has.

I’m fully confident that an empowered Orji leads Michigan over USC by 10+

Argus Stuff:
- Still busting me arse here, and still off all extra drugs beyond the 9 pills I take daily.

- Woke up with what turned out to be a good chunk of cartilage damage in my GOOD knee one morning weeks ago that had no accident or slightest trip to cause the injury. Getting arthroscopic surgery to clean things up, but as many of you know, cartilage knee damage is the worst because it’s only going to deteriorate until I get tired of the pain and have both knees replaced. Drs were amazed I laughed this new injury off….after everything I’ve been through and continue to battle, this injury means nothing to me emotionally. Honestly, I’d have to lose my left arm before I GAF about anything less serious than the boiling cauldron of TBI issues that exists in the space between my ears..lol.

See y’all after Michigan wins the 1st of the 3 “must win” games gauntlet left on the schedule.

Go Blue! - Argus.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.