ADVERTISEMENT

Game thoughts (IUPUI hoops)

MHoops1

Heisman
Gold Member
Jul 16, 2001
1. Some really interesting things today. D.J. Wilson started the second half and played the vast majority of minutes at the forward spot opposite Zak Irvin. And, quite clearly, he delivered--it has been a long time since a Michigan player had 14 rebounds and 5 blocks in a game, regardless of competition level. Now, the competition level gets tougher, but it's absolutely clear that he's taken his game up several notches--even if he doesn't keep doing this, he's going to be a valuable contributor, now and going forward, and he has the potential to be a game changer.

2. It was evident early on that IUPUI was going to drive on Duncan Robinson and MAAR, and it worked, Robinson because he couldn't keep up foot speed wise, and MAAR because he really struggled getting through screens. I actually thought Robinson was a bit better than he has been in the past in defending against baseline drives, but he still struggles. That, to me, was what necessitated the change. Going forward, I suspect that teams with a huge number of guys who can penetrate off the dribble will lead to this revised rotation. D.J. can't stay in front of those guys either; that said, in football parlance, he has "closing speed" and can block shots from behind.

3. The downside to playing Wilson in place of Robinson is that the offense loses some spacing. Today, we did a good job of overcoming that by virtue of Irvin hitting mid-range jumpers, and guys attacking the basket and finishing/getting fouled/finding people. However, as the competition level increases, we're going to have to confront that--we don't have a consistent 3 point threat other than Walton without Robinson in the lineup. and Walton has the ball in his hands too much to get a ton of the catch and shoot 3s he thrives on..

4. I was critical of Zak Irvin Friday night, so I think I should note that he played really well today--hit his mid-range shots, got to the basket, rebounded and hit his free throws. His 3 point shot is still really broken, and he clearly knows it, as he passed up a few looks. In all though, he did well. Joe Maddon, the Cubs manager, has told their lead off man, Dexter Fowler, "you go, we go." That's Zak for us.

5. MAAR had his usual hustle plays and his acrobatic shots at the rim. He also saw some people and dished when driving, which is an improvement. He has to get better much defensively though. When he's getting rubbed off on a ton of screens and/or getting crossed over, it plays havoc with our defensive rotations.

6. Our 5s played pretty well. Mo Wagner had a few what's he doing out there moments, which is common, but the major talent is clearly there. Mark Donnal played well period given his limitations. He's not strong enough, so he doesn't finish well when contested, and he struggles some against post-ups, but overall, he provides a back-up option at the 5 who is going to be significantly better than other teams' back-up options.

7. I don't know why we double the post so seldom, especially when the post-up is against Irvin or Donnal, who are not shot blockers.

8. I'd like to see Derrick Walton get a few more minutes of rest. Xavier Simpson is not yet ready to run the offense (he will be), but with MAAR in there, we can cope, and Walton will be better if he's a bit less worn down. He does so much for us, and we need him.

9. That's a much better win and effort for us than was the win against Howard. IUPUI has some players, and that was a 20 or so point win made closer by an IUPUI run against the scout team in the last minute. We need to keep improving--Thursday's and Friday's game will be interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News