ADVERTISEMENT

Fun Topic OT: The Best Songs About Cars

argus99

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Dec 24, 2004
Newtown, PA
I was on one of the secret forums that mature hot rod guys have created after the official Hot Rod Magazine forum and other mainstream car culture websites devolved into the usual trolling and infantile posts that have ruined so many other websites of all kinds, including the exodus TOS that so many of our members site defected to, and found out it was nothing but a Twitter troll haven from it’s inception. It’s an unofficial rule at this hot rodder forum that if you’re lucky enough to find it and become a member, you absolutely do not talk about it openly online. It’s an oasis of sanity, much like The Den is, and they want to keep it that way.

Instead of OT posts, the have a General Discussion section where the only topics off-limits are what you’d expect..absolutely no posts about politics or religion. It’s a really cool setup that doesn’t annoy members who are there strictly for car topics and allows posters like me that are always tangentially thinking that takes us far off topic, or just bring a lot of OT posts during the off season. In the past, members here used to be more open to OT posts, but there has been a growing intolerance that has made other Den members who used to make OT posts quit altogether, and give the most hardcore OT posters like me, I may be the only one left that habitually makes them at a consistent rate, real pause before I post an OT topic. I haven’t made an “Argus Story” post in quite awhile due to the increasing negative feedback, despite the fact that I get a considerably larger amount of messages and thread comments from Den members that they loved them. I don’t know what Rivals rules are as to creating a separate General Discussion section of the MBR platform, but I feel it would be a positive addition to have one.

Anyway, last night I joined a thread about “The Best Songs About Cars” and it turned out to be pretty amazing. The only rule is it had to be about a specific car or car maker as the main subject of the song, rather than just a lyric in a song like Joe Walsh’s reference to his Maserati in his song “Life’s been Good”.

Of course, being the elitist music snob that I am, I came up with 2 songs that spurred a lot of responses.

The first is from the underground hard rock band Clutch. I’ve talked to Neil Fallon innumerable times over the years, and if you’re a fan, then you know from his lyrics that he’s extremely intelligent and has expert level knowledge about almost any topic. But when we did cross paths, all we talked about were cars. Neil is a dedicated car guy and noted speed demon, which is difficult to do living in Virginia. The State Police there are notorious for their fetish of nailing car guys hard with the tickets for driving even 5 miles over the limit. I know this from experience. This song entitled “Spacegrass” is about driving in space in a 1973 Dodge Swinger, though the Ford Galaxie 500 is also referenced. I can affirm that driving late at night with this song blasting WILL make you punch the accelerator to the floor…

The one that really blew up the comments was from Public Enemy’s first album “Yo! Bum rush the Show!” entitled “You’re gonna get yours”, which was a fantastic ode to Chuck D’s Oldsmobile 98. It’s an outrageous jam all about his legendary whip none of the members there had never heard before, and I think I won the thread with it..

Had so much fun watching all the song videos about car songs I didn’t know existed, and I thought I’d bring it here for The Den to see what you guys can come up with. So let’s see your favorite car song videos guys. There is nothing going on until the Phillies game and I’m bored. Have at it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News