Excellent read from Jim Brandstratters Facebook page

mftmish

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2010
Outside of South Bend - Princess City
Again, credit to Jim Brandstratter:

Ouch!

That’s about all I can say regarding the Michigan vs Texas game in game two of this young season. Michigan was beaten by a better team. Texas played better, and had an answer for everything Michigan tried.

After a day or two of thinking about it though, I came up with this revelation. What I saw in that game was the Michigan team of 2023…..only they were wearing Texas uniforms. Texas did to Michigan what Michigan did to every opponent on their schedule a year ago. While we are mourning this loss, last year our opponents were doing what we are doing this week.

Think about it, Texas is coming off a National Playoff semi final loss they felt they should have won. They have a veteran quarterback who came back to take his team to a national title. They have veteran offensive and defensive lines. They are loaded at skilled the positions. 2:46 PMentire coaching staff returns in tact. They appear to be on a mission to win a national title. Does that sound familiar? It’s exactly what Michigan was a year ago. That’s who Michigan played in week two.

As I have said this entire off season, you do not lose a dozen players or more to the NFL and play at the same level with that kind of talent turnover. That is what Michigan faces. It’s even more difficult to play at a championship level with the entire offensive line being new, and the most important position, the quarterback being new.

And, I don’t buy the argument that Michigan didn’t work the transfer portal enough to restock. First of all, when you go there, you have to have money, because in this day and age of NIL, money for these transfer portal players is the highest bidder prevails. Just ask Ohio State who are rumored to have a 20-25 million dollar payroll along the banks of the Olentangy. I don’t doubt that Michigan has enough resources for that, but, it’s also about what’s out there to buy. Like the great lyric in a classic Rolling Stones song, “You can’t always get what you want.”

For instance, last season, Michigan’s J.J. McCarthy declared for the NFL draft on Jan 14th…2 of the top 4 quarterbacks in the portal, according to on3.com, were already committed elsewhere, Cam Ward to Miami, and Riley Leonard to Notre Dame. (How’d that work out for the Irish vs Northern Illinois?) The other two top QB’s on the list went a week and two weeks later. So, while going through the rather arduous task of preparing for a national title playoff run, and dealing with a witch hunt from the soon to be defunct NCAA, and J.J. not officially declaring for the draft until January 14, the next highest rated quarterback in the portal at #41 was their next choice. So, just saying that Michigan didn’t do their job by not playing portal ball is misleading.

Let’s also not forget, Michigan already recruited Freshman Jadyn Davis to their roster, a four star quarterback out of North Carolina. Jadyn was rated as the number 3 quarterback nationally by ESPN. He was a two time Mr. Football in North Carolina. Sounds like a pretty good prospect huh? Finding an entire offensive line and quarterback from the portal is impossible and economically a stretch. So, lets slow the roll on the critics of personnel, and not working the portal. Michigan has done their due diligence and under the changing financial environment in college football, they are going to be fine.

That being said, there is no question this team must play better. You can’t turn it over three times and give what may be the best team in the country a short field to work. Defensively, Michigan was very good in the red zone. The one thing I know is that in a copy-cat game, which college football is, other teams will attack Michigan’s secondary opposite the side Will Johnson is playing, so adjust and get ready for that.

Offensively, the running game must get better and that’s on everyone… the O-line, fullbacks, tight ends, running backs, coaches. The Quarterback play must get better. Everybody in Schembechler Hall knows that. I, for one, am looking forward to more games this year. I find it a compelling story to see how much Michigan can improve. We are so very lucky to have had a three year run that we have had. Don’t ever forget that. Now, we are experiencing some adversity. It is a test for all of us.

When you get the chance visit jimbrandstatter.com and get your copy of my audio book "Voices of Michigan Stadium" a look at the history of Michigan football as told by the legends who made that history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.