ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Blue Chips: Lander Barton; More LB, DB Recruiting Notes

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** We've talked a lot about linebacker over the past few days, but the prospect at the very top of the board may in fact be Salt Lake City (Utah) Brighton's Lander Barton. I spoke to a source close to the program today that told me that the Wolverines are going all in for Barton and are fighting hard to eventually win him over. As I was first to report, Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh flew out to see Barton at a satellite camp this summer. New Michigan DC Mike Macdonald and linebackers coach George Helow have been very involved here as well. Another source compared Barton to Brian Urlacher. From what I have been able to gather, this one is still an uphill battle, but the Wolverines absolutely love him and are looking to get him on campus for an OV — the BBQ is being thrown out there for every priority target but as of today, I'm not expecting Barton in town the last week of July.

*** To update some of the notes I dropped earlier... I'm not overly optimistic about Michigan landing Rivals250 linebacker Sebastian Cheeks, but he is still a priority and as I mentioned, I could see a situation where the local school wins out in part because of the sensitivity around Cheeks at this time. It seems that three-star linebacker Jeremy Patton is telling Baylor, Michigan and Texas what they want to hear hence positive vibes coming out of every camp. Patton does plan to visit Texas again right before he makes a decision along with his mother, who didn't make the first trip to Austin, so not a great sign. If Michigan starts to feel pessimistic about the three guys mentioned, I could see them just taking three-star prospect Deuce Spurlock. I haven't put in a pick due to guys being ahead of him on the board, but Michigan is his best option and those in Ann Arbor feel like he's underrated. Michigan loves Micah Pollard at the Buck spot, and there is still plenty of optimism there. He's more of an edge with traditional flexibility, so he has no affect on the guys mentioned.

*** Rivals100 safety Keon Sabb had some fun on Instagram today and only had his Michigan pictures up. I wouldn't read too much into as this has become a trend with different recruits this cycle. I did inquire about Sabb and was told that there was optimism coming out of the visit but that Sabb wants to take his time and see what the Wolverines do on the field. U-M safeties coach Ron Bellamy is doing a great job and continuing to chip away. I still don't feel confident enough to put in a pick for four-star safety D'Arco Perkins-McCalister. Myles Pollard knows him and will recruit him, while Bellamy has been working hard on him. However, Ole Miss scares me. Ole Miss loved him up at the Nashville satellite camp last month, got him on his final visit of June and is slated to get him back this month for its own BBQ. Michigan is still very much in it, but it's heated battle wit TCU and Tennessee also involved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News