ADVERTISEMENT

Blue Chips: Buzz On Recruits Out West

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
Here are tonight's Blue Chips...

*** Let's start off with some good news. It appears that Michigan is gaining some traction with Rivals250 Pasadena (Calif.) Muir cornerback Jamier Johnson. The Wolverines offered him after he released his top schools, but they've quietly been putting in some work with him and are becoming major factors. If OVs could happen, I would be confident in saying that Michigan would get one. However, Colorado and Texas will be tough to beat as will Oregon if they push.

*** I was very close to putting in a new FutureCast pick for Michigan today. I spoke to a source in the Pacific Northwest who told me that Michigan is surging for four-star safety Will Latu, who recently named the Wolverines in his top four. USC seems to be in the pole position, but the Trojans have options ahead of him, and it looks like he wants a reason not to go to Washington. However, I checked in with a source close to the program, and Michigan is not really pushing for him. That could change, though, so this is definitely one to keep following closely. Latu is announcing June 21.

*** While Michigan's defensive line class seems to be filling up, a prospect to keep an eye on is three-star Greenwood Village (Colo.) Cherry Creek's Arden Walker. Michigan has been in contact with him recently, and U-M is actually a top choice for him along with Kansas State, Colorado, Texas Tech, Iowa State and UCLA. Obviously, this is a winnable recruitment, but it's dependent on how the numbers workout and if Michigan pushes.

*** Let's end with some bad news. I put in a FutureCast pick for three-star Tumwater (Wash.) High defensive tackle Jacob Schster to land at Stanford. I spoke to a source in the Pacific Northwest that told me he will likely stay out West and that Stanford is gaining steam. I also put in a FutureCast for Sammamish (Wash.) Eastside Catholic offensive tackle William Reed to land at Cal. I'm told he's not really an option for U-M right now. Lastly, I put in a FutureCast pick for Elk Grove (Calif.) Monterrey Trail running back Prophet Brown to land at Oklahoma. I'm told the Sooners are very, very confident there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News