ADVERTISEMENT

ASU game tonight?

Nov 19, 2006
Anyone else from the board going tonight? I'll be there with my brother and 7 year old son. planning on eating at Dave and Busters before the game if anyone wants to meet up.

Go Blue!!!

Cheer loud! They are reasonably talented, but not playing good team hockey, yet. Too many new people- causing them to not play that well.

Hopefully, you will see what we saw in the second Union game- their best of the season.

End of one, it's all tied at one.

Michigan scored first when DeJong picked up his first career goal about midway through the first. Arizona would tie it up a bit later in the period when a Michigan D-man pinched and missed both the body and the puck leading to a 2x1 ASU break that ended in a score.

Nagelvoort got the start in goal for this game.

Michigan hit with four penalties in the first period, ASU zero.

About six minutes into the second Lockwood picks up an unassisted goal to put Michigan back in front 2-1. There was a review as the goal was murky. Now we find out that this rink (an NHL arena) has no replay ability tonight (they have cameras inside the net but they aren't using them) so whatever is called on the ice will stand.

About six minutes into the second Lockwood picks up an unassisted goal to put Michigan back in front 2-1. There was a review as the goal was murky. Now we find out that this rink (an NHL arena) has no replay ability tonight (they have cameras inside the net but they aren't using them) so whatever is called on the ice will stand.

Yeah that's a break - think if that goes to review they overturn the call on the ice. Official on the replay was way out of position too. That also was a strange bounce.

Someone doesn't have keys to the replay room. Maybe Toronto could have called down - they probably have the link up. :)

Winborg scores a power play goal midway through the second to put Michigan up 3-1

End of two, Michigan 3, ASU 1.

A bunch more penalties in this period, both ways this time. Michigan did finally get a power play goal. Nagelvoort is having a game, he made several really big saves to keep ASU off the board in this period, how does that saying go? "Competition is good".

20 minutes to go and Michigan really needs to close this one out. A win won't do much for them in the playoff picture in March, but a loss here would do a lot to hurt them. I don't expect a loss here, but the 3rd hasn't exactly been a confidence builder so far for Michigan. They need to finish strong here just to show they can do it.

Michigan leaves Arizona with a 4-1 victory over ASU to get back above .500.

Strong third period for Michigan. Killed off 8 ASU power plays over the course of the game. Nagelvoort had an excellent outing.

Now it's back to Ann Arbor to get ready for a pair of games against Boston University next weekend. Michigan will need to play their best games of the season in those games, probably the best opponent they will face in the 1st half, if not the season.

Puckhead, thanks for the period recaps. I couldn't get the stream. I'm glad to see the team take a long trip and get one in what has to be a weird atmosphere, although I guess playing in an empty NHL building is good practice for the Big 10 tourney.

Was this win a result of us improving or ASU being bad? How'd we do in terms of zone time and offensive pressure and in defensive coverage?

As much as I try to stay optimistic and supportive, I'm afraid next weekend is going to be rough. That said, if the team can improve its own play regardless of result, we have an exhibition followed by 2 winnable games to get things together before league play. I'm really hoping to see some improvement.

Thanks for the review, Puckhead. Interesting how that went out.

Don't know if you saw Inside Michigan Hockey, but Piazza was quoted that Red wanted then to play more physically. So were the penalties related to that, or just more basic mistakes that put them behind?

All a team can ever do is beat the team on the other side of the rink. They did that Friday night. More power to them and Zach N.

Begs the question: just what is the goalie situation/rotation?

Last week I was moaning that we were out-face-offed against Dartmouth by 52-24 and I had never seen FOs so lopsided in a game. Against ASU we basically reversed that!

Was this win a result of us improving or ASU being bad? How'd we do in terms of zone time and offensive pressure and in defensive coverage?

We were better in our zone, but i'm not sure that was because Michigan suddenly improved a whole lot. They did some things better, but ASU is not the strongest of opponents. It's only their second year with a program so they are just getting started.

We did out shoot them and I believe that's the first time all year we had more shots on goal than the opponent, it was 38-32, which means we still gave up over thirty shots, so it's a mixed bag there.

Thanks for the review, Puckhead. Interesting how that went out.

Don't know if you saw Inside Michigan Hockey, but Piazza was quoted that Red wanted then to play more physically. So were the penalties related to that, or just more basic mistakes that put them behind?

They did play more physical, but a lot of the penalties were really stupid ones. Penalties behind the play where nothing was going on, no scoring threat, just dumb plays. They cannot do that next week. If they give BU eight power play goals, they will probably score on half of them, and given our difficulty scoring that's going to be the game right there.

All a team can ever do is beat the team on the other side of the rink. They did that Friday night. More power to them and Zach N.

Begs the question: just what is the goalie situation/rotation?

That really is the question isn't it. The thing is if Nagelvoort played every night like he did Friday night, the job would be his hands down, assuming that type of play translates to games against the better teams like we will see this weekend.

It will be interesting indeed to see just who starts in goal Friday night and how short the leash is if things start to get go bad.

Question -

Why would Michigan go all the way to Arizona to only play 1 game? That seemed strange to me.

They did play more physical, but a lot of the penalties were really stupid ones. Penalties behind the play where nothing was going on, no scoring threat, just dumb plays. They cannot do that next week. If they give BU eight power play goals, they will probably score on half of them, and given our difficulty scoring that's going to be the game right there.
Thanks for the clarification. That's the kind of play I'm worried about- especially with the new focus on calling the game really tight.

We should have enough skill to avoid the lazy penalties. Should.

Question -

Why would Michigan go all the way to Arizona to only play 1 game? That seemed strange to me.
I assume it was so they could also go to Big Rapids to play just one game. I mean, setting aside the GLI, we can only schedule 12 non-conference games. (Although, maybe there should be an "exemption" against the 34-game limit for trips to ASU and Huntsville, like there is for trips to Alaska.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT