ADVERTISEMENT

Are we tired of Beilein yet? Just a question?

Coach B is awesome, terrific coaching job. Hope he stays until he's ready to retire, not for at least five years! Out coached Pitino today, on to the Sweet 16!!!
Yeah it's amazing how many experts there are on all the different sights. I've spent a lot of time on this and GBMWolveine, I loved the Fort but things were getting to negative w/ football so after many, MANY years, I pulled out. Never have liked the so-called free sites because I think there's a lot of "kids" (lol) and outsiders trolling. The GBMWolverine was going nuts the first half, FIRE BEILEIN etc. but we win game and what a genius, what a wonderful team, etc. I don't use Social Media, can't stand it, today I realize that this is another part of SM, it's not pretty out here.

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
Yeah it's amazing how many experts there are on all the different sights. I've spent a lot of time on this and GBMWolveine, I loved the Fort but things were getting to negative w/ football so after many, MANY years, I pulled out. Never have liked the so-called free sites because I think there's a lot of "kids" (lol) and outsiders trolling. The GBMWolverine was going nuts the first half, FIRE BEILEIN etc. but we win game and what a genius, what a wonderful team, etc. I don't use Social Media, can't stand it, today I realize that this is another part of SM, it's not pretty out here.

It's somewhere in between fire Beilein and he's a genius but much closer to the genius side which is why this is so frustrating. Earlier in the year it looked like he had totally lost control. We were 4-6 in the B1G looking pretty hopeless. Team picked it up on D. Wagner, Wilson, Walton stepped up big and eventually Irvin came around. Made a good run the last 15 games or so.

The problem with rebounding & D are still there which were more than apparent in the loss to Oregon when we gave up 2 huge off boards down the stretch.We're not going to have a loaded roster like 2013 very often so we need to do the basics at a minimum.

Reactions: blue-boy
It's somewhere in between fire Beilein and he's a genius but much closer to the genius side which is why this is so frustrating. Earlier in the year it looked like he had totally lost control. We were 4-6 in the B1G looking pretty hopeless. Team picked it up on D. Wagner, Wilson, Walton stepped up big and eventually Irvin came around. Made a good run the last 15 games or so.

The problem with rebounding & D are still there which were more than apparent in the loss to Oregon when we gave up 2 huge off boards down the stretch.We're not going to have a loaded roster like 2013 very often so we need to do the basics at a minimum.
Amen Brother! I'm not one of these guys that feel someone needs to be fired every other minute or so. Despite the fact these coaches make huge money, they have staff, assistant coaches and families. On the other hand, I hit my "limit" with the loss to OSU, we started out 6-0 IIRC and then played dead the rest of the game. Wasn't sure if the kids were quitting on JB/staff or there were some internal struggles with the staff, what ever but they turned it around and made some significant strides the remainder of the year. This was a very good Oregon team, the PAC 12 has 3 very good teams w/ AZ, OR and UCLA. To think how poorly we played, we seemed to resonate back to the early reg. season, we grab a couple of rebounds...Walton has a great chance to advance the team. Oregon would have been scrutinized for years to come for not using their last 2 fouls on Michigan with 9+ seconds to go but it wasn't to be. Our defense struggled and rebounding is still a huge problem, we need to get more athletic which should help in these areas. JB is all class and a great rep for the University but in the B1G you need to be physical, defend and rebound. Despite having 3 teams in the Sweet 16, I still think the league was average but I'm so proud of this team and their late season push.

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
I "hit my limit" or at least started to become very concerned after the MSU loss were we looked like we were physically over matched yet again & our answer was to hoist up 3s to the tune of 7/26. And then shortly after following that up by looking lifeless vs OSU. At that point there had to be serious questions about where this was going & if our previous success was simply a product of rare recruiting hits that culminated in the 2013 team.

I am glad this team got a reality check and started to play better D. The emphasis seemed to be taking away 3 point shooting. Going forward, if Beilein can mix in a few athletic, ball handling wings players & bigs that all play solid D, rebound, run the floor with his current system it would address a lot of our issues. I love what players like Wagner and Wilson do but they need another big to do the dirty work for them.

People who talk about the 2013 run seem to forget we had 6 NBA players (McGary, Burke, Hardaway Jr, Robinson III, Stauskus, Lavert) & 2 fringe NBA players (Morgan, Horford). Now, unless we're going to have that level of talent every year (uhm, that would be awesome but no... lol) then we need exactly what you stated added to the current roster (being more physical, defending better and for gods sake grabbing some rebounds).

I know we ended on a sour note reverting back to "bad" Michigan vs Oregon but I'm proud of how they turned around their season, won the BTT and made a sweet 16 run. Very proud of Michigan winning "differently" vs Louisville where feeding Wagner, often times in the post, led us to victory when the 3s weren't falling. I am hoping to see us add on players that allow us to also win games in a conventional manner when we have bad shooting nights or teams like Louisville, Oregon, etc successfully deploy a defensive strategy to take away the 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: blue-boy
Just bugs the crap out of me to see other team's guards penetrate to the hoop & lay it in so often in clutch moments while our bigs just stand there with their arms raised above their heads & not challenge & reject.

Just bugs the crap out of me to see other team's guards penetrate to the hoop & lay it in so often in clutch moments while our bigs just stand there with their arms raised above their heads & not challenge & reject.

It's extremely frustrating but when I accepted that Wagner & Wilson are exceptional skill players for their size, I stopped expecting so much of them & I put this on recruiting. I don't expect Wagner & Wilson to ever be exceptional defensive players or rebounders (but certainly they can improve - lol). Given that, Beilein needs to pair them with a big to do the dirty work. I know it doesn't fit his ideal model but I'm not talking about elite 5 star caliber bigs. In fact these bigs might not even be starters.. Just role players who do the dirty work so players like Wagner & Wilson can do what they do best on offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT