ADVERTISEMENT

Are we tired of Beilein yet? Just a question?

Dec 21, 2009
His recruiting is subpar. His coaching is ehh.. Shoot 3s, play halfhearted defense while getting out rebounded and out hustled most games. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

Last edited:
Beilein is in a difficult position.
It's more recruiting than coaching.
I doubt we're going to let him go after he becomes our all time winning coach.
He probably shouldn't have been extended but he did just make the finals 3 years ago.

Unlike some UM fans, I didn't have unrealistic expectations. Team played about how I anticipated today. Physically outplayed. No surprise there.

I was watching the game and it's an unusual type team for JB in the sense he normally has a really good 2 or 3 player on the team but not this year. If UM got any decent game from either MAAR or Irvin then they might walk away with the W.

To the original post...Yeah...I am personally getting tired of the JB program. I am willing to see how Brooks/Poole/Matthews and Livers do next year. I think this team is a reflection of some bad JB recruiting and some busts. I think JB is a good coach but he obviously is trying something new and has some pieces.

I guess what I am trying to say is time is running out but I am willing to give him at least another year or more based on next year because let's be honest... JB should have two legit players in Wagner/Wilson next year plus a guy like Matthews who was good enough to play at UK. Think about that for a minute.

You replace Irvin or MAAR with THJ (even turnover Tim) and UM is winning at a much higher level. It's really one guy who can make this team very good. MSU is a tough matchup for JB.

RM

Nah. We just shot he ball poorly. Those same shots were falling last game. If we shoot just 40%(below our average) we win the game. We actually out rebounded them. Blowout in 9 days. I think the road victory thing is in their heads a little bit.

He's a solid coach but his recruiting has been subpar. I was frustrated today because it's like they didn't even understand the concept of feeding the post. Actually both UM (Wagner) and MSU (Ward) has guys going in the paint and it's like neither team ran their offense thru the post.

His recruiting is subpar. His coaching is ehh.. Shoots 3s, play halfhearted defense while getting out rebounded and out hustled most games. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.
Tired of his mid-major recruiting, disdain for rebounding/inside scoring/defense for quite some time.
I hate that he is so married to this system and acts like he couldn't possibly get big time players so we have to be the gritty, outside shooting team who normally gets destroyed by good teams.

Reactions: BigHouseBallin
He did lose Cronin back in the day and now has Teske. I see JB transitioning to a bigger traditional type Big Ten team. Just needs more time and MORE players.

I do agree with you that JB is still a poor recruiter. He could have the same system as others and still recruit poorly. It's his nature.

RM

His recruiting is subpar. His coaching is ehh.. Shoots 3s, play halfhearted defense while getting out rebounded and out hustled most games. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

I don't even have a problem with his recruiting because he has nothing to sell. Our fans suck. Our administration sucks when it comes to promoting basketball, gameday environment, etc.

I only even have a slight problem with his coaching.

UMs basketball program needs a homerun, Harbaugh type coach to excite the fanbase. One who based on charisma, leadership, etc. will demand more from the fans and the administration.

Under the circumstances of IU, Purdue, MSU, Duke, etc., Beilein's recruiting would not be an issue.

He is not much worse a gameday coach than Izzo if you ask me. I think he is a far better coach than Painter and Crean. Not Coach K.

But at UM, there is zero margin for error in practice, gameday, and with recruiting. They can't have just a nice guy, who is a very good coach but with very little outward personality and fan appeal. It's not his fault because it should not be that way.

I don't know who that coach is? Tony Bennett? Kevin Ollie? I have no clue who it is but it isn't Beilein.

Unlike some UM fans, I didn't have unrealistic expectations. Team played about how I anticipated today. Physically outplayed. No surprise there.

I was watching the game and it's an unusual type team for JB in the sense he normally has a really good 2 or 3 player on the team but not this year. If UM got any decent game from either MAAR or Irvin then they might walk away with the W.

To the original post...Yeah...I am personally getting tired of the JB program. I am willing to see how Brooks/Poole/Matthews and Livers do next year. I think this team is a reflection of some bad JB recruiting and some busts. I think JB is a good coach but he obviously is trying something new and has some pieces.

I guess what I am trying to say is time is running out but I am willing to give him at least another year or more based on next year because let's be honest... JB should have two legit players in Wagner/Wilson next year plus a guy like Matthews who was good enough to play at UK. Think about that for a minute.

You replace Irvin or MAAR with THJ (even turnover Tim) and UM is winning at a much higher level. It's really one guy who can make this team very good. MSU is a tough matchup for JB.

RM
Among other things, in essence what you are saying is that this game like many came down to 3-4 possessions. We lost each half by four points. That is one less hoop for them and one more for us each half. Such razor thin margin of error in college basketball.

Luke Kennard would have helped today. So would TJ Leaf. So would a dozen or more other recruits he/UMs basketball program missed out on. We aren't going to get ANY of these guys consistently when they are choosing between UMs 3rd rate program and schools that are actual basketball schools, even those that take football seriously too.

Among other things, in essence what you are saying is that this game like many came down to 3-4 possessions. We lost each half by four points. That is one less hoop for them and one more for us each half. Such razor thin margin of error in college basketball.

Luke Kennard would have helped today. So would TJ Leaf. So would a dozen or more other recruits he/UMs basketball program missed out on. We aren't going to get ANY of these guys consistently when they are choosing between UMs 3rd rate program and schools that are actual basketball schools, even those that take football seriously too.

I can understand how a coach can miss on guys. It happens all the time. The problem with JB is his margin of error is small. I don't think UM is a 3rd rate program anymore. Look at Barnes-Arico...she recruits plenty well at a program with NO history of success.

Someone said awhile back that JB really belongs at a school like Northwestern. High academic standards with a certain expectation of success (limited). Doesn't JB remind you of a recruiter from a different era...like 1952?

RM

Last edited:
He's a solid coach but his recruiting has been subpar. I was frustrated today because it's like they didn't even understand the concept of feeding the post.

I agree 100%. Michigan will never reach the next level without figuring out a way to score consistently in the post. Relying to much on jump shots is asking for trouble. I respect JB for what he has done for the program, but he really needs to find the next McGary soon. If he can't do it, this team will be stuck in neutral, and it will be time to find a replacement.

There's an article on another site where JB is AGAIN bemoaning the total lack of defensive intensity. Shouldn't a head coach achieve the kind of results from his team that he demands, at some point? At some point doesn't he have to own the poor defensive effort and absolute refusal to be physical and score inside? Stupid players...

Watched the OSU game.

1. OSU really played hard. Just took it inside to UM.
2. Walton played his guts out and played well.
3. Wagner struggled. At least Irvin hits the backboard :)

Nothing is a surprise. OSU is a tough matchup for UM. Irvin is way too inconsistent scoring and his turnovers are brutal. Team plays hard but again it's simple...this team is a reflection of many recruiting misses and mistakes by JB. He deserves all the criticism.

All that being said, I am still optimistic about the future IF Wagner stays, Teske develops, Matthews contributes, Wilson gets stronger, Irvin leaves, and UM gets some sort of major contribution from Brooks or Poole or X.

Any team that has Irvin and MAAR as their 2 & 3 are going to have problems unless they have Tarpley and Rellford at the 5 & 4 with Grant at pg.

ONE guy can make a huge difference on this team. Matthews better be good and somebody better step up at guard of JB might not be here past next year. I think Brooks is going to surprise.

RM

His recruiting is subpar. His coaching is ehh.. Shoot 3s, play halfhearted defense while getting out rebounded and out hustled most games. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.
Apparently Wilson and Wagner combined for 3 rebounds yesterday.
That is some quality JB basketball.
Has he started working on his resume yet?

JB has a nice contract. I don't see UM eating too much of the contract. Another problem is that JB isn't blowing up the program and the upswing should occur if you look at next year. IF Teske develops then UM can be more physical and will allow JB some different combo's. Matthews is going to make a huge difference. It's all about Teske and getting a pg and JB does have some talent coming in. I can even see Watson developing. He doesn't look physically overmatched and even a guy like X should be able to do some things.

Not saying UM is going to knock it out of the park but I do believe UM will be good enough to justify the JB contract.

In regards to the rebounds....OSU just punked UM. I would really like to see JB move Wagner/Wilson to the # 4 which would allow Wagner to foul more often. In fact...rotate Wagner between 5 and 4 spot depending on opponent. UM is clearly having trouble with Wagner guarding bigger and more athletic 5's. I think Wagner is a perfect 4 for JB.

JB is going to have to change his offensive system because his players next year aren't built for a Burke/THJ team style. Wilson/Wagner/Matthews is a good foundation. Brooks is going to surprise.

RM

JB has a nice contract. I don't see UM eating too much of the contract. Another problem is that JB isn't blowing up the program and the upswing should occur if you look at next year. IF Teske develops then UM can be more physical and will allow JB some different combo's. Matthews is going to make a huge difference. It's all about Teske and getting a pg and JB does have some talent coming in. I can even see Watson developing. He doesn't look physically overmatched and even a guy like X should be able to do some things.

Not saying UM is going to knock it out of the park but I do believe UM will be good enough to justify the JB contract.

In regards to the rebounds....OSU just punked UM. I would really like to see JB move Wagner/Wilson to the # 4 which would allow Wagner to foul more often. In fact...rotate Wagner between 5 and 4 spot depending on opponent. UM is clearly having trouble with Wagner guarding bigger and more athletic 5's. I think Wagner is a perfect 4 for JB.

JB is going to have to change his offensive system because his players next year aren't built for a Burke/THJ team style. Wilson/Wagner/Matthews is a good foundation. Brooks is going to surprise.

RM
Rebounding is Dirty work that needs to be done or you will lose. JB has always had a problem with that since his team shoots so far out they cant get into position to rebound offensively. "74

Reactions: ChicagoBlueFan

RM
I think you're kidding yourself if you think this old dog is going to learn to suddenly embrace inside scoring/rebounding/physical play. He's gone a long time disdaining those, I don't see that magically changing.

I think you're kidding yourself if you think this old dog is going to learn to suddenly embrace inside scoring/rebounding/physical play. He's gone a long time disdaining those, I don't see that magically changing.

I agree.. our team literally gets punked almost every game. No toughness.. no grit. We need a couple of guys that will clean the glass and play hard nosed D (especially on the perimeter) mixed in with the shooters..

Last edited:
Reactions: ChicagoBlueFan
It's pretty hard to rebound from the 3 point arc watching the dribbler look for his 3 pointer. Just like the coach drew it up.

Going to miss Walton. I really hope Wagner stays for next year because this team is coming together and can make some noise next year assuming Wagner, Wilson, Matthews and some decent guard play.

I like what I see going forward.

RM

Going to miss Walton. I really hope Wagner stays for next year because this team is coming together and can make some noise next year assuming Wagner, Wilson, Matthews and some decent guard play.

I like what I see going forward

Walton leaving? what's he done to make the 2 rounds in the NBA "74

Why do so many Michigan fans think we should be winning titles every year in basketball lol? How many coaches in the Big Ten have had a better last 4 or 5 years? Yeah dish JB and get us what we had going before he came to Ann Arbor again.

Reactions: Blue_J
Why do so many Michigan fans think we should be winning titles every year in basketball lol? How many coaches in the Big Ten have had a better last 4 or 5 years? Yeah dish JB and get us what we had going before he came to Ann Arbor again.

Would you like a hat for that strawman? - lol. Who said anything about winning a title every year? Based on that premise 95% of coaches don't win titles so everyone should be happy with the status quo? I didn't realize Beilein was some teflon don who can't be criticized.

The bottom line is with slightly better recruiting UM could have dominated the B1G this year... let's not get too giddy about a 10-8 conference record in a down B1G.. lol. I don't see any world beaters in the B1G this year. No one ever said he couldn't coach at all. In fact I'm pretty sure I said he could coach in this exact thread. However, the fact still remains his recruiting is subpar. To his credit, this team did improve on D since they were 4-6 in conference play.

Last edited:
I have followed UM Basketball since the Orr era, we are very fortunate to have Coach B.
I know his system is hard to watch when the team doesn’t get it,,,but when they do and they are hitting their shots they can be awful fun to watch. Watch out in the tournament because this team is figuring it out.

You're a fool. Go cheer for Kentucky.

Hey Kentucky wins titles.. JB got us there so he definitely gets major props for that. If he steps up his recruiting I think we can contend consistently. This team has made a marked improvement defensively and on the boards since the 4-6 start in B1G play. Also, it looks like Walton Jr turned a corner.

I have followed UM Basketball since the Orr era, we are very fortunate to have Coach B.
I know his system is hard to watch when the team doesn’t get it,,,but when they do and they are hitting their shots they can be awful fun to watch. Watch out in the tournament because this team is figuring it out.

This team right now bears no resemblance to the team we saw earlier this year. They made a substantial leap. Hey make a run to sweet 16. Eating my words will never taste so sweet..

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
I am really hoping we win the B1G tourney... it would be a fitting reward since this team has committed to playing winning basketball... Minny seems to give us problems but we're better prepared this time around.

I noticed Zak Irvin saying something in the post game that was music to my ears...

"I just think we knew in order to have successful season we had to play defense"

Indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT