ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting 2-A-Days Tour: Scoop, Observations On Kenneth Grant, Drayk Bowen

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** My 2-A-Days tour kicked off yesterday as a I made my way to Merrillville (Ind.) High to see priority 2022 defensive tackle target Kenneth Grant. As you guys know, Grant made his second unofficial visit to Michigan of the summer for the BBQ at The Big House. Grant enjoyed seeing the campus and facilities again as well as getting individual time with head coach Jim Harbaugh and defensive line coach Shaun Nua. I know I've been critical of Nua in the past, but he's doing a terrific job in this recruitment and is really connecting with Grant on a personal level. The most important part of the visit was Grant's mother getting her first look at Michigan. Grant told me his mom gave him a stamp of approval and was really impressed with what Michigan has to offer on and off the field.

*** So here is the situation with Grant's recruitment. Ohio State offered this summer and hosted him for an official visit. OSU does not have any defensive line commits at this time and would take Grant. Now, I don't think OSU is pushing as hard as Michigan since they have a loaded board, but I do have reason to believe his offer still stands. Michigan identified Grant early on and has really made its mark in his recruitment. Grant really fits the Michigan kid profile (let's not get offended) and knows he would thrive in Ann Arbor. Still, the OSU offer is very alluring for obvious reasons. Grant is conflicted on when he wants to decide. If he waits too long, that OSU offer may go away. If he decides now, he's making a decision without being 100 percent certain. Ideally, Grant would wait and see how Michigan does since I'm told he still has some questions about stability and then make a decision.

*** Personally, I believe Grant appreciates that Michigan was on him from the beginning and has always had him at the very top of the board. He's also clicking well with five-star Michigan cornerback commit Will Johnson. In fact, Will texted me during Grant's practice and said 'we have to get this kid.' Johnson joined Grant on both of his summer visits, and the two text all the time. Fellow Michigan cornerback commit Myles Pollard was also on Grant's two visits and has been doing his part to help recruit as well.

*** As a player, Grant is criminally underrated. Grant is a massive prospect at 6-foot-5, 340 pounds and looks extremely nimble on his feet. Grant is a little shorter than fellow Michigan defensive tackle target Deone Walker, but at this point, he's carrying his weight a lot better. Grant looks as good as one can possibly look at 340 pounds. Once he adds more strength in a college strength and conditioning program, the sky is the limit. From a technical standpoint, Grant looks advanced in his get off and the way he uses his hands. He's a terror when rushing the quarterback from the interior or off the edge on a stunt. An intangible that really stood out to me about Grant was simply his love for the game. He legit laughed as he bullied kids throughout practice and appeared to be having the time of his life at practice. Grant did no non-school camps, so nobody has really seen him live but me. Again, I think his ranking is a joke.

*** A random side note: Merrillville head coach Brad Seiss is a name to know for the future. I could easily see him being a major college football coach down the line. The kids love him, and he ran an extremely intense yet fun practice. It was probably the best practice I've seen in my time in the Midwest. Jim Harbaugh wouldn't have been critical of it (sorry I had to do it).

*** Thee first stop on my tour was actually at Merrillville (Ind.) Andrean to see 2023 Rivals100 linebacker Drayk Bowen. Right now, Bowen is considered an early Notre Dame lean. Like I mentioned last night, Bowen seems a little more like a Notre Dame kid. However, that doesn't mean he can't end up at Michigan as there is often a lot of crossover. Michigan has been going all in for Bowen as of late. Michigan linebackers coach George Helow and Mike Macdonald are talking to him on a weekly basis, and he just had a big call with Harbaugh a week ago. The Wolverines also hosted Bowen for an unofficial visit in June and have been selling him on baseball/academics. Bowen is a legit prospect on the diamond and a 4.0 student.

*** I love Bowen as a prospect and is veery deserving of his ranking. The kid is built like a tank and flies around the football field. He wrecked havoc off the edge at practice but with his frame, strength and athleticism, I think he's best suited to play one of the inside spots in U-M's new 3-4 defensive scheme. It's not a surprise that's where Macdonald sees him at. I'm always high on kids that double as top level baseball prospects as it's such a hard sport to play and some of the skills required translate well to football. Bowen is also a high IQ player and would have no issue dissecting things in the middle of U-M's defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News