ADVERTISEMENT

15 Days of Silence From Harbaugh's Program

scfanblue

Senior
Oct 25, 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
Just like the old days of Bo and hearing tiny bits of information seeping out about the coaches having confidence in this team and the defense is outstanding with a chance to be an elite squad. Exciting stuff. I have been saying on here for six months that Harbaugh had a talented team to begin his career with at UM. This team will win 10 or more games this year and upset either MSU or OSU.

I think the ceiling for this team is likely 10-11 wins, whether they get there or not remains to be seen. If they can somehow beat @Utah it will go a long way to give them confidence that they can win. Remember, for the past 7 years Michigan could not beat a Pee Wee football team on the road. The first game will set the tone - if we beat @Utah - I'm with you, on 10 wins. If we lose @Utah - I see an 8-4 season, which all said and done is still fantastic. I do however fully agree with you that I don't see us losing to both MSU & OSU this year. Both teams are stacked with talent but it's not we are void of talent either. I think the one thing people forget is that of our 22 starters this year more then 70% of them were 4-stars or above - meaning they were talented players but just not developed by happy clappy. I truly believe that Peppers, Wormley, Taco, Lewis, Isaac, Darboh, Butt, Kalis, Mason, & Morgan would all be starters on any BIG team - including MSU & OSU. There is talent there, I truly believe that. Whether JH can get them to show up with the 20+ practices he has had is a whole different story.

I watched every single game last year and the odd part was that zero players ever made any spectacular plays. We played crappy as a team but even as individuals we just could not make plays - ever. If each player on the team even improves by 15% individually (which you would expect they should with more experience and conditioning) we should easily get to 7 wins. Add in there a really good coach and I would say 8 wins is likely.

Having said all that I hope we win neither 8, 9, or 10 games but instead go 15-0 in JH's first year...I lacked optimism under clappy but I have a lot of it with JH.

Go Blue! 12 more days!

Great post brother!!!! I'm all in. A good football team takes on the persona and swag that it's head coach and staff carry. Michigan has the players right now to have a great season. I believe they will beat Utah on the road to set the tone for the Harbaugh era.

Great post? Come on.....tarun262 says all those guys could start on MSU and OSU's team? If that were true then everyone would be talking about how UM's Oline and Dline are 1 and 2 in the big and nation. None of those guys would beat out Lawrence Thomas, Malik McDowel, Shalique Calhoun or Joel Heath on defense. Peppers is a possibility on either team but no one has seen him in a game. On the O-line, MSU has 2 all americans and who knows how many OSU has. To non-UM observers your comments look homer laden at best. So because Harbaugh is copying Bo's MO that means UM is going to all of the sudden be as good as OSU or MSU. Slow down and wait until a few games are played.

Why don't you reread my post and all other posts I have written. 70% of our players were 4-stars or above. They had talent and still have talent, they have not developed. Michigan State would have taken all 22 of our players coming out of high school - whether or not you like it. 4-star > 3-star > 2-star. Now the stars are an indication of the past and you have to perform, which is something kids do much better under Dantonio then they did under clappy. Reread what I said - I believe these kids are really good and have awesome talent and yes I personally believe they will start in any team. Does not mean that they are better then the players you mentioned and this has nothing to do with Bo either. Your reply sounds like a random rant. I honestly don't care if you think my post was great or not - that is not why I post. I post because that is my opinion - I believe in our team and honestly nothing you say is going to dissuade me from that. Yes the proof is in the pudding but I go into the season with optimism and the beautiful thing for Michigan this year is that the expectations are so low that we can only positively surprise...OSU and MSU, expectations are sky high and I think neither one of them make it to the championship game this year.

Why don't you reread my post and all other posts I have written. 70% of our players were 4-stars or above. They had talent and still have talent, they have not developed. Michigan State would have taken all 22 of our players coming out of high school - whether or not you like it. 4-star > 3-star > 2-star. Now the stars are an indication of the past and you have to perform, which is something kids do much better under Dantonio then they did under clappy. Reread what I said - I believe these kids are really good and have awesome talent and yes I personally believe they will start in any team. Does not mean that they are better then the players you mentioned and this has nothing to do with Bo either. Your reply sounds like a random rant. I honestly don't care if you think my post was great or not - that is not why I post. I post because that is my opinion - I believe in our team and honestly nothing you say is going to dissuade me from that. Yes the proof is in the pudding but I go into the season with optimism and the beautiful thing for Michigan this year is that the expectations are so low that we can only positively surprise...OSU and MSU, expectations are sky high and I think neither one of them make it to the championship game this year.
You act like recruiting rankings are fact. In case you haven't done the research, it's a crap shoot between 3 stars and 4 stars. Competent coaching staffs laugh at the recruiting services. They don't use them to recruit. None of UM's OL or DL players would start on MSU or OSU's lines whether you like it or not.

You act like recruiting rankings are fact. In case you haven't done the research, it's a crap shoot between 3 stars and 4 stars. Competent coaching staffs laugh at the recruiting services. They don't use them to recruit. None of UM's OL or DL players would start on MSU or OSU's lines whether you like it or not.
Wow, you're enough of an insider to know this? Do you coach in the B1G? Not a single one?
TUOS fans and spartoons can be funny, in kind of a stupid way.

For this team to win and get to 10 wins it will comedown to the QB, passing game and the Offense not turning over the ball. I see 8 maybe 9 wins and prayerfully a Bowl win to get us to 9 ,or 10. BUT it will take a lot , with little injuries and some play makers.

Last year we had no play makers who could go the distance at any time. Do we have them this season? "74

My goodness - you are correct - what was I thinking!!! Dude, next time before you spew randoms do some research. Look at the last 10 teams that have won it all including OSU - they have all been stacked with 4-star and 5-star talent. You think all those coaches were laughing at rankings and saying let's just take any kid we can get??? Really??? I bet Urban laughs at rankings and then hauls in 5-stars. So does Saban, Malzahn. Recruiting and stars matter otherwise anyone with a heartbeat will do.

My goodness - you are correct - what was I thinking!!! Dude, next time before you spew randoms do some research. Look at the last 10 teams that have won it all including OSU - they have all been stacked with 4-star and 5-star talent. You think all those coaches were laughing at rankings and saying let's just take any kid we can get??? Really??? I bet Urban laughs at rankings and then hauls in 5-stars. So does Saban, Malzahn. Recruiting and stars matter otherwise anyone with a heartbeat will do.

It is pretty funny to hear little brother talk about this subject. On one hand, recruiting rankings don't matter (when trying to say that it is not a big deal if Michigan lands a 4 or 5 star). On the other hand, they do because you have to look at the recruiting rankings of all recent national champions and how well they did (when Michigan misses out on a 4 or 5 star). It is great comedy.

reat post? Come on.....tarun262 says all those guys could start on MSU and OSU's team? If that were true then everyone would be talking about how UM's Oline and Dline are 1 and 2 in the big and nation. None of those guys would beat out Lawrence Thomas, Malik McDowel, Shalique Calhoun or Joel Heath on defense. Peppers is a possibility on either team but no one has seen him in a game. On the O-line, MSU has 2 all americans and who knows how many OSU has. To non-UM observers your comments look homer laden at best. So because Harbaugh is copying Bo's MO that means UM is going to all of the sudden be as good as OSU or MSU. Slow down and wait until a few games are played.

Homer? How about a troll over here on our Rivals page because Harbaugh has you worried.

Homer? How about a troll over here on our Rivals page because Harbaugh has you worried.

tnakfoor - read this article!!! I think you are the only person that actually laughs at rankings. Next time show some stats versus random barbs. Yes MSU has been an outlier but recruiting rankings MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD!!!

tnakfoor - read this article!!! I think you are the only person that actually laughs at rankings. Next time show some stats versus random barbs. Yes MSU has been an outlier but recruiting rankings MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD!!!
I compared 3 stars to 4 stars and said nothing about 5 stars. If you are trying to say that the difference between a high 3 star and a low 4 star is science and not a crap shoot then I don't know what to tell you. Competent staffs look at the players measurables, skills and potential for development more than they do a score that some recruiting service gives a kid. Isn't that what Harbaugh has done this year and to the shagrin of many a UM fan? You folks questioned many of his recruits because they weren't 4 stars. My point is that the star ranking isn't what makes a kid good, it's the kids ability and potential.

I think as a fan you should start the season anticipating greatness. Otherwise, why bother? Now sometimes reality doesn't match that expectation.

Michigan is a wildcard this year. Outside of the fanatical Maize and Blue glasses wearing fan, I don't think anyone would be surprised if this team won anywhere from 6-9 games. There is talent and Harbaugh's a good coach. There are also a lot of issues which makes this team a potential still in progress.

I compared 3 stars to 4 stars and said nothing about 5 stars. If you are trying to say that the difference between a high 3 star and a low 4 star is science and not a crap shoot then I don't know what to tell you. Competent staffs look at the players measurables, skills and potential for development more than they do a score that some recruiting service gives a kid. Isn't that what Harbaugh has done this year and to the shagrin of many a UM fan? You folks questioned many of his recruits because they weren't 4 stars. My point is that the star ranking isn't what makes a kid good, it's the kids ability and potential.

Really dude, you want me to throw stats at you again? The last 10 NT have had way more 4-stars then 5-stars or 3-stars...WAY MORE!!! So yes there is a difference in HS between a 4-star and 3-star. You seem to look at MSU and think that represents the rest of college football. At that point HS hundreds of recruiters rank kids and at that point in time their body of work determines their stars so it's not really a crap shoot. And once again, since you like to just throw random barbs - I would love your insights as to which coach "laughs" at recruiting rankings??? Since they ALL Love to chase the star rankings including Dantonio who does give offers to majority of the 4-star positions.

Tnakfoor.....shagrin? Do you not have spell check? I know, i know, the grammar/spelling police out in force:)
For the record, I would trust either Harbaugh or Dantonio's thoughts on a recruit over any of these so called recruiting experts. No matter whether they have 0 stars or 5 stars. I think they both have a pretty good record of recognizing not only talent, but potential and work ethics.

In recruiting, player evaluation is more important than stars. As for MSU taking all 22 of um's starters, that's more than a bit of a stretch. MSU offered some and didn't offer others.

In recruiting, player evaluation is more important than stars. As for MSU taking all 22 of um's starters, that's more than a bit of a stretch. MSU offered some and didn't offer others.

Name me a starter on our list that MSU would not have taken??? We have 6-7 5-star players by some sites (Morris was a one time 5-star offered by MSU, Peppers, Kalis, Ty, Green). Taco, Wormley, Jenkins, our entire LB crew, etc were all offered by MSU as well - seriously. They may not take them now but when those kids were in HS, MSU would have taken all of them.

I have been coaching high school football for over 20 years in four different southern states. In that time, I have coached 3 kids that were what they call legitimate 5 star (Blue Chip) players that had a major impact at the D1 level and are currently in the NFL. Ricky Sapp, Dequan Bowers, and AJ Cann. They were offered by EVERYONE including UM/MSU/ and of course all SEC schools. It cracks me up when I read all of the so called experts who read the media reports about high school players and get on sites like this one and throw out random bits of information about which they have no clue. Some poster just recently said that Shane Morris was horrible in high school and it was a mistake that Alabama offered him and that OSU or MSU would not have possibly offered him. (STUPID COMMENT) recruiting is a crap shoot at best. There are your elite athletes like the ones cited earlier, however, not even the schools that recruited them know how they will pan out as STUDENT athletes. I have seen kids that were not so great at the prep level go one to college and become a very good player. Stars ratings are BULLSHIT guys so stop buying into it. RIVALS (like this site) is all about the money and I have seen parents pay $5,000 for their child to get a RIVALS recruiting page. I can also tell you that ANY player that has been offered to play at a program like Michigan even with Hoke in charge can CERTAINLY play at OSU/MSU or anywhere else. These players have to be DEVELOPED AND COACHED WELL. Remember all of them high star recruits at OSU who went 6-7 under Luke Fickell? Well they went 12-0 the next year under Urban Meyer because he is one of the BEST coaches in COLLEGE football. Just like Nick Saban and just like JIM Harbaugh. Harbaugh does not have a NC on his resume, however, the fact that he is a program builder at the college level is good enough evidence to me. He fits at Michigan and Michigan has been an underacheiving program for many years now. Harbaugh will slice through all of the good ole boy politics because he is PURE football and Michigan will become a powerhouse under him very soon. They will be good this year as well. All the idiots who troll this site as fans from other schools know this and this is why they are on here blasting Michigan and Harbaugh. Right now, OSU are the Kings of college football and Urban Myere the King. (They deserve it), however, a Harbaugh led Michigan program is going to challenge them to the final snap and even this year in AA. There are no guaranteed wins in this one even though they are unbeatable to everyone right now. Myer himself knows better than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrutusMich
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT