ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Michigan's Football Season in 2016?

Re: Finally you talk some sense. Good to see you're catching on. Now just

Originally posted by Draidan14:
For giggles. If this douche was running his mouth let's say on the Ohio board ... What would the reaction be ???

Probably nothing but sunshine and agreement from Ohio fan. Right ?
The OP was over the top but he quickly corrected his analysis. Sure it was tainted with a bit of bias but it wasn't totally off base either. If the counter responses were more about X's, O's, and personnel, then I would have jumped in and fallen somewhere in the middle between The OP and the Harbaugh is the best coach in the history of football camps. Actually Closer to the Michigan will be improved next year and should continue to improve over the next several seasons.

If it was posted on the OSU board there also would have been some "yeah, we don't care and you suck" responses. But the general vibe of such is greater here in this board.

Michigan's upcoming football season in 2015!!! Here is the FACT.

#1- Michigan's coach is JIM HARBAUGH NOW. THIS IS NOT ANOTHER COACHING EXPERIMENT WITH ROD AND HOKE Look at his overall record as a HEAD COACH. Now throw in the fact that he played at UM and his DAD coached there. Therefore he KNOWS AND UNDERSTANDS THE ENVIRONMENT AND EXPECTATIONS. He also has full 100% from ALUMNI, ADMINISTRATION AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT SUPPORTS MICHIGAN FOOTBALL

#2- Hoke recruited exceptionally well. HARBAUGH HAS INHERITED A LOADED ROSTER ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL. THE DEFENSE WILL BE VERY GOOD IN 2015.

#3- QB situation will work itself out. Harbaugh is a QB coach and offensive coach. The NEW QB WILL BE IN A SCHEME TAILORED TO HIS ABILITIES. HE WON'T BE ASKED TO DO THINGS BEYOND HIS ABILITIES THAT WILL HURT THE OFFENSE.

#4- MICHIGAN WINS 10 GAMES IN 2015 AND WILL BEAT EITHER EITHER MSU OR OSU THIS YEAR. BOTH OF THESE TEAMS WILL NOT PULL OUT OF ANN ARBOR WITH A WIN ON 2015.

#5 NEW YEAR'S DAY BOWL FOR THE WOLVERINES AND A TOP 5 RECRUITING CLASS IN 2016.

Perhaps that's because there are 5 posters on the OUSO board ?

Maybe why there is more of that vibe you are referring too. Either way, this same guy came over here last year pretends to know more about UM than anyone else and when a poster responds with another point of view he scoffs at it and says were crazy.

Let's look at this another way nddecker1. Assume a new program

hires a high end football coach and then gets a transfer qb (starter) from another in conference school plus a transfer rb from a major power school who was happy with the prospects for his future.

What would you assume the impact would be for these new variables based on the prior year?

Reality Man

Re: Another great post, "chief". *

It doesn't have the wit of your classic "pwned!", but really an eye-roll is all it needed.

Re: Your stupidity continues to impress. Good one, "chief".*

Very ironic - you calling someone else's intelligence into question. That aside, I guess we can infer

A) you also think Harbaugh is the "best football coach in America"

B) you're still butthurt about being called chief several months ago

"PWNED!"

Re: See my previous post, "chief". Thanks. *

Aww, cat got your tongue.

I'll tell you what, feel free to leave some more stalker-style posts on my fanpage.

Re: Let's look at this another way nddecker1. Assume a new program

Reality Man,

That would depend on the quality of the QB, RB, and coach, as well as the quality of the rest of the team.

THe issue with the image that Michigan fans want to paint is

1.) QB talent at UM is absolutely pathetic, and it's mixed with a complete lack of experience. THis is the analysis being told to Michigan's own insiders/mods by Michigan's own "Greatest in the Entire History of Sports" coaching staff....so there is really no debating it

QB is an absolute disaster and Harbaugh isn't going to be able to change that in 2015

2.) RB is very far from impressive

Let's face it, anyone that watched Michigan last year saw that Green looks great against Appy State and a desimated Miami (OH) but he looked pathetic against ND, Utah, and Minnesota he was pathetic. His combined stats from all 3 games were: 33 carries, 90 yards, 2.9 YPC, 0 TD...if you bring that out to the "per game" basis, against teams with a plus, Green was good for:
11 caries
30 yards
2.9 YPC
0 TD
That's flat out pathetic...

Beyond that, the other "5* Savior" of the RB position was the #5 RB on USC as a frosh, and was the #2 frosh RB. The frosh RB who was keeping him on the bench hasn't exactly lit the world on fire either, stuck as a 2nd stringer and only putting up 600 yards and 4 TDs as a sophomore.Isaac himself has eclipsed 50+ yards and/or 10+ rushes exactly 1 time...a blowout win over Cal where he played mainly on mop up duty. Then add to that the fact that he's taken a year out of playing in games.
Isaac has some potential, but has shown very little production so far in CFB and has been put deep on the bench by the very coaches Michigan fans are now worshipping (Drevno)

Your best RB last year, against any kind of competent opponent, was Johnson...but he's now on ACL tear #2 and who knows if he'll ever play again, much less what he'll be like if he does

Honestly, your most productive, proven, and likely to start RBin 2015 is also your least talented...Smith
Smith is powerful and tough, but a major plodder who is really more of a hybrid fullback than an impressive RB. He'll get you a few tough yards whenever he can, but he just doesn't have the athleticism, speed, wiggle, or balance to really make a difference

Like I said, you RB group is okay, and has some potential, but is VERY FAR from special

3.) WR just lacks anything impressive at all

This is the kind of WR core you'd expect from a MAC level team, or a Big10 bottom feeder. No one here will scare a defense at all, cause them to change schemes, or back away from the LOS. Teams will happily stack the box and blitz the QB while challenging this group 1v1 all day...there is just no one here

I have to think that even the Michigan homers can admit that Michigan may well have the worst WR core in the Big10 and one of the worst of any P5 team

4.) TE is thin

Butt is a good player, but he's not a game changer. He's showed some promise at times, but he's an average blocker and an above average pass catcher, and that's about it. Behind him, there isn't much. Bunting has potential as a pass catcher, but is totally unproven. Hill is hurt. Williams is a blocking TE who absolutely sucks at blocking...

Overall, this is an average to below average Big10 TE unit

5.) THe OL veteran and showing signs of improvement, but has yet to even reach "average Big10 team" levels...much less dominate Big10 teams...and let's not even discuss dominating top level teams across the nation

Michigan is below average in run blocking, but they've been terrible in pass protection, especially in blitz pick. The OLs simply can't identify where the blitzes are coming from at all, and on the rare ocassion that they do, most of them look like the have weights strapped to their shoes as the try to move (especially Kalis and Glasgow)

No doubt experience plus better coaching with create improvement here...but Michigan fans are kidding themselves if they think this unit was "average" before and now looking to make the jump to "dominant, center the of the offese"

This unit flat out terrible to start 2014 and improved to "well below average" by the end of 2014
Improvement here would consititute, "average OL, doesn't get dominated by average teams"

I would say this improvement would really help MIchigan stop losing to bad teams, as it would let their superior talent at the skill positions take over...but...Michigan is probably in the bottom 3 of Big10 teams for offensive skill position talent

You'll have to let me know specifically where you disagree, because right now I can't see anything but a soft Big10 schedule keeping Michigan out of the Bottom5 of all Big10 offenses

Let's get this straight....

You basically asked Michigan fans how UM was going to be this season just so you could tell us how bad UM is going to be? That's essentially what I'm seeing here.

As far as your latest comments go-it's difficult to evaluate UM's RBs because of the O-line they've been running behind. If the O-line improves (as expected), the RBs should improve as well. QB is the biggest concern on the team. If UM can get decent QB play, the offense will be average. If not, the offense wilk be in trouble. UM has some promising young WRs in Darboh, Chesson, Ways, and Harris. Harris was the best WR in the state of Michigan his senior year, but he's had hamstring problems for the better part of 2 years. I'm not concerned with the TE position. In summary, if UM gets decent QB play, the offense should ve adequate. UM should have a very good defense so an average offense should enable the team to win the majority of its games. You're also completely ignoring the impact that coaching can have on a program.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Okay nddecker1....

Lets' go through this stuff.

1. I agree with you 100% on this qb issue. You are spot on. I can't assume that any of these qb's are going to be competent out of the gate. The qb position is a huge weakness. You are absolutely correct. It will be a major problem with decent qb play and no UM fan can make that assumption that the qb position will be decent.

Here is what I am trying to get across to you. UM is not going to be significantly worse replacing Gardner. You would be hard pressed to find a UM fan who would want Gardner back at qb. Do I need to paste the turnovers/statistics from the qb play last year?

Next, and most importantly...what happens if the Iowa qb comes to UM? Is that an upgrade from last year? So in a nutshell...if UM gets Ruddock...that in my opinion is an upgrade from Gardner? Agree or Disagree? I give you the fact that if Ruddock doesn't come to UM...then the qb position is far from settled and a major risk variable. You are correct.

2. I agree with you again on the rb situation. I don't think Green is anything to get overly excited about although I think you are minimizing the talent of Isaac and the improvement these more mature players will show under a running game staff who has proven to implement this type of football style. Will it be Alabama level? Of course not. OSU level...of course not but to dismiss that this staff will improve all aspects of this offense is being overly biased.

So basically if UM gets Ruddock and gets improvement from across the board on offense along with getting Peppers back...wouldn't you assume UM would be competent as a program?

Reality Man

Re: Let's get this straight....

I asked what you thought, so I'd have you on record before I started presenting a less maize-tinted accounting of the facts, to see if Michigan fans could really justify their rosy views at all

What I've seen so far:
1.) QB will manage to just work itself out, and we're going to get adequate play here....despite the fact that our own SUPER COACHES are telling our insiders that Michigan's QB roster is a complete disaster and that they need to try to go outside of Michigan for any hope at this position in 2015

2.) Michigan's OL is going to become a team strength, despite being one of the worst in all of the P5 for years, is suddenly going to become a not only a team strength but a strenth relative to the conference and the nation....because Michigan.....because Harbaugh........

The reality here is that there is little to nothing to base this claim on, other than the hope of Michigan fans and that this unit MUST be better if Michigan wants to make a bowl game

3.) Michigan has young, talented WRs.....despite the fact that you have 0 all conference or all-american players (on any team)....despite the fact that your WRs return ~800 yards and 3 TDs (for reference, Notre Dame returns about 3,100 yards and 26 TDs and are actually a team with "promising young WRs")

Basically, Michigan fans are basing nothing at all in facts/proof/experience but entirely in "Well these guys sucked for their whole careers so far....but they're all going to be All-Conference/American's in Harbaugh Year 1"....In other words, extreme delusion

Does anyone have some actual facts/reasons to support this "we'll be fine on offense" mentality?

Originally posted by goblue31602:
It was the exact same thing last year, he's not worth responding to.

Yep

Came over here last year, calmly and kindly gave crystal clear, point-by-point analysis of why your offense was going to REALLY struggle in 2014, how your defense was going to be good but not great, and how the team overall was going to struggle
Got basically the same response I'm getting now (no facts, just delusional "We're going to be great!!")

How did the 2014 season turnout?

The O-line showed signs of improving toward the end of last season....

An improved O-line will make all aspects of the offense function more efficiently. And, yes, Michigan fans do believe that part of the team's struggles on offense over the past few seasons can be directly attributed to poor coaching. How much the team improves due to the coaching change remains to be seen, however. Once again, QB is the key. If UM can find a capable QB, the offense should be fine. If not, the entire team is in trouble. That's the sentiment of every UM fan I personally know.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Sure...I'll respond.

The offense last year was obviously...dismal beyond belief. This staff will at least get better execution from the rb's and the OL. The OL was getting better last year.

Don't you think that is a reasonable assumption. Don't you think these guys will at least be 3% better? I can't imagine that you wouldn't agree with that assertion....add Isaac..better coaching and they should at least at a minimum a little better? If Hoke went over to Alabama...would you think Alabama would be the same, better or worse than with Saban?

UM could have crappy qb play and still probably be no worse than last year? What did you think of Gardner? Curious.

Thx.

Reality Man

Re: Okay nddecker1....

Originally posted by Reality Man:
Lets' go through this stuff.

1. I agree with you 100% on this qb issue. You are spot on. I can't assume that any of these qb's are going to be competent out of the gate. The qb position is a huge weakness. You are absolutely correct. It will be a major problem with decent qb play and no UM fan can make that assumption that the qb position will be decent.

Here is what I am trying to get across to you. UM is not going to be significantly worse replacing Gardner. You would be hard pressed to find a UM fan who would want Gardner back at qb. Do I need to paste the turnovers/statistics from the qb play last year?

Next, and most importantly...what happens if the Iowa qb comes to UM? Is that an upgrade from last year? So in a nutshell...if UM gets Ruddock...that in my opinion is an upgrade from Gardner? Agree or Disagree? I give you the fact that if Ruddock doesn't come to UM...then the qb position is far from settled and a major risk variable. You are correct.

2. I agree with you again on the rb situation. I don't think Green is anything to get overly excited about although I think you are minimizing the talent of Isaac and the improvement these more mature players will show under a running game staff who has proven to implement this type of football style. Will it be Alabama level? Of course not. OSU level...of course not but to dismiss that this staff will improve all aspects of this offense is being overly biased.

So basically if UM gets Ruddock and gets improvement from across the board on offense along with getting Peppers back...wouldn't you assume UM would be competent as a program?

Reality Man
Thanks for your thoughts

1.) Gardner wasn't as bad as you're making him out to be. He was very "hot and cold" and terrible OL play, complete lack of any run game, and little to no help from WRs continued to errode at him....but EVERY UM FAN was HIGH on Gardner going into the 2014 season
The reality is, that when we saw other UM QB's play in 2014, it was clear they were a major step backwards from Gardner...no reason to beleive that's changed suddenly

Now, as someone who was actually raised a Hawkeye fan, and watched almost every game.....you're better off with Ruddock that anyone you have right now, but probably not better off than if you had Gardner back. Ruddock simply can not make a throw of more than 10-15 yards to save his life, and is only useful at all if the opponent needs to completely gear in on the power run game.
Ruddock managed to be "efificient" against some of the worst defenses in the nation (Indiana, Iowa St, Northern Iowa, Ball State, and Illinois) but nearly every time he had to play a decent (not elite) defense, he was a liability. Go check out his games against Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Tennessee......there is a reason he lost his job to an underclassmen (on a bad team)

Ruddock is probably better than Morris/Speight at this point, mainly due to experience, but he pretty much lacks major CFB talent and can't throw the ball down field or outside of the numbers to save his soul

2.) I'm not sure where you get the idea I'm down playing Isaac, other than pure optimism

He was RB #5 at USC, behind another frosh RB, riding the bench before a couple of the RBs ahead of him got hurt...so he got a couple more mop-up-duty carries

If you're basing this on "He was a 5* in high school" you need only look back at the first RB in mentioned in your post to see how much a 5* matters once we've seen how you stack up to other CFB RBs

3.) Yes, I assume the run game will improve with experience and Harbaugh/Drevno coaching....but that doesn't at all mean it will be good.

You seem to think that it's Alabama/Oregon/Ohio State level rushing production and then everything else is all a wash, and that's just not the case.

Personally, I expect Michigan to go from not being able to do anything at all in the run game, when facing competent opponents, to being okay running the ball but not great
I expect them to take the step of sometime running the ball well against bad teams to always running the ball well against bad teams

That's going to be good for stats overall, but without the ability to dominantly run the ball against quality competition, and given your QB/WR situation.....it's going to be very hard to score on Ohio St, Mich State, Utah, BYU, Minnesota, Penn St. etc.

Sure...I'll respond.

The offense last year was obviously...dismal beyond belief. This staff will at least get better execution from the rb's and the OL. The OL was getting better last year.

Don't you think that is a reasonable assumption. Don't you think these guys will at least be 3% better? I can't imagine that you wouldn't agree with that assertion....add Isaac..better coaching and they should at least at a minimum a little better? If Hoke went over to Alabama...would you think Alabama would be the same, better or worse than with Saban?

UM could have crappy qb play and still probably be no worse than last year? What did you think of Gardner? Curious.

Thx.

Reality Man
Yes, I agree

With better coaching and experience, the OL and RB groups will clearly be better than they were in 2014. I'm really not sold at all on Isaac (I'm not sold on any #5 RB who takes a year off suddenly becoming a super-star) but overall I'd say that you should improve from terrible OL play and bad RB play to average play at both positions

The issue is your QB and WR units are likely going to sabatoge the entire deal

Gardner was a very talented QB, who made some plays, but was erratic and ended up getting killed because his OL was pathetic and he didn't have consistent play makers
However, he was clearly the best QB Michigan had (just look at when Morris played...comical) and he actually did a pretty good amount for the offense

Not only is the QB situation bad (we seem to agree here) but the WR situation is capable of making a decent QB look terrible. There is simply no play-maker or go-to player there, any there aren't many options with real experience at all. Quite simply, the Pitt WR core that we have to play in 2015 scares me significantly more than the Michigan WR core would if we had to play again....that's not good

So yes, I expect improvement in the run game. In 2014, against your rivals (ND, MSU, OSU) Michigan averaged:
33 carries
90 yards
2.8 yards per carry
1 TD
1 Fumble
Those are some pretty dismall stats for a "pro-style, power run, manball" team...but I don't see Michigan suddenly averaging 200+ yards and 6+ YPC against those quality opponents

When you couple that with the SEVERE WEAKNESS you're going to see in your passing game, your some-what-improved rushing attack is going to be running into a lot of 8-9 man fronts.....not a recipe for success

So while we seem to agree on many point, I don't see how you can possibly see this offense as "adequate" in 2015...unless players from outside Michigan come in a replace some of what you have on your roster

My prediction, with brief explanation (more specifically described in this thread) for the Michigan 2015 season

@Utah - L
Utah is an underrated team for 2015. They return a good QB, one of the best RBs in the nation, and are solid on the OL and on defense. Not likely an elite team, but a very tough one, and a bad place to travel to, with a new QB, new coaches, and new schemes for week-1 (honestly, not a bad loss if it's competitive)

Oregon St - W
Oregon State is going through a major coaching overhall as well, which evens that out. They lost their stud QB and several of their other top players, and just aren't as talented as Michigan from top to bottom...plus the game is at Michigan

UNLV - W
Michigan is just better than UNLV. Another App State or Miami (OH) type beat down

BYU - L
This is a close one, and I could see Michigan pulling out a low score win. But with Tysom Hill back, the BYU offense will continue to be very tough to stop. And while BYU is very vulnerable against the pass, they're strong against the run...not the right early season matchup defensive. I have BYU in a tight one right now

@Maryland - W
Maryland isn't a great team, and they're losing their best play maker (by far). They won't be an easy W on the road, by they usually struggle most with competent teams who can actually play physical ball, so Michigan should be able to hold on here

Northwestern - W
Not a great team, and while they can cause problems, Michigan should be expected to beat them at home. Barring any major collapses, I have them doing just that

Michigan St - L
MSU will be led by 5th year senior Cook, who is one of the better QB's in the nation. But the real issue here is that 2015 may well be the best OL and DL that Dantonio has fielded at MSU, and that's saying something. They'll be very hard to run against, so you'll need some real QB and WR play to beat them...not good for Michigan. They're too far ahead of the curve for Michigan, even at home.

@Minnesota - W
This game is a major toss up, but I'm giving it to Michigan. Coming off a BYE should help, and Minnesota loses it's best play makers in RB Cobb and TE Williams. But make no mistake, this game is darn near a tossup and could easily become a loss, especially on the road. Minnesota is an improving team, but I think they're a slightly less talented version of Michigan in 2015

Rutgers - L
Rutgers is another team that's flying too far under the radar right now, imo. They're going to have better QB play with Rettig older now, and they have some real playmakers on both sides of the ball. Their OL and DL have been improving, and now have some actual NFL talents plus solid experience. With the timing of this game (after 2 slug fests)...I just think Rutger's will be a little too much

@Indiana - W
Indiana is a dangerious team with their explosive offense, but they just don't have the horses to win imo. Without the STUD Coleman, their offense will be a little more containable and their defense is still as poris as ever imo

@Penn St - W
This is another tough one. Back-to-back road games for Michigan, and a talent QB in Hackenberg have me right on the fence. But with a weak OL and a very thin defense, late in the season, I think Penn St will fall short especially as the game goes on. I think this is where you start to see some of the "Harbaugh Effect" in team toughness resulting in a win

Ohio St - L
I don't think this one will really be close. Ohio State is an elite team, perhaps the best in CFB for 2015. They'll be fired up for this game, and I simple don't see where Michigan has the talent or experience to compete with them in any phase of the game.

So there are several games in there I can see going either way, but my feeling is right about at 7-5

Reasonable picks...although I did notice you picked UM to lose 3 home games.

I am not saying Rudock (who may get here) is some great qb but if UM can find a guy who doesn't turn the ball over...UM can win some games with defense, etc. We will see but we agree on the qb position.

Giving Gardner way too much leeway on the turnovers. His TO's killed UM. Not all his fault...but I don't Harbaugh could win with that qb play.

Discounting Isaac too much. USC wasn't overly thrilled to lose him. I think Green is going to be a better/tougher rb under this staff. He was coming on a little and with decent OL play and a qb who can throw accurate 5 yard outs...UM can possibly move the chains.

Why are you so negative on the TE's...Butt is half way decent. UM has some blocking TE's plus Khalid Hill should be a good H-Back in this system.

The reason to dismiss the wr's and TE's is because UM had Gardner throwing balls to them. Half the time...nobody knew where the ball was going.

Why is Darboh or Canteen not a legitimate option with a decent qb. If UM finds a qb that can throw a screen pass, a slant and some underneath stuff...UM can o.k. on offense.

UM may only win 7 games but might win 9 games in an ugly manner. You are pessimistic whereas I see a team with some flaws but a good staff, a maturing team with good coaching with a hole at the qb position for the time being.

Reality Man

Reasonable picks...although I did notice you picked UM to lose 3 home games.

I am not saying Rudock (who may get here) is some great qb but if UM can find a guy who doesn't turn the ball over...UM can win some games with defense, etc. We will see but we agree on the qb position.

Giving Gardner way too much leeway on the turnovers. His TO's killed UM. Not all his fault...but I don't Harbaugh could win with that qb play.

Discounting Isaac too much. USC wasn't overly thrilled to lose him. I think Green is going to be a better/tougher rb under this staff. He was coming on a little and with decent OL play and a qb who can throw accurate 5 yard outs...UM can possibly move the chains.

Why are you so negative on the TE's...Butt is half way decent. UM has some blocking TE's plus Khalid Hill should be a good H-Back in this system.

The reason to dismiss the wr's and TE's is because UM had Gardner throwing balls to them. Half the time...nobody knew where the ball was going.

Why is Darboh or Canteen not a legitimate option with a decent qb. If UM finds a qb that can throw a screen pass, a slant and some underneath stuff...UM can o.k. on offense.

UM may only win 7 games but might win 9 games in an ugly manner. You are pessimistic whereas I see a team with some flaws but a good staff, a maturing team with good coaching with a hole at the qb position for the time being.

Reality Man
Yeah, I picked UM to lose 3 home games...though 2 of them are to MSU and OSU, in which Michigan will be a severe dog (despite being at home)
I also picked Michigan to win some fairly significant road games...so you can say that both of those buck some trends, to a certain degree

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on Gardner and Ruddock

In my opinion, a MAJOR part of why Garnder turned the ball over so much is how much of the load he was being asked to carry for Michigan. Michigan had almost nothing else on offense, and not enough on defense to win on defense alone...so he tried to make too much happen and ended up losing the ball (it was a similar, though less severe, issue for Golson late in the 2014 season)

Ruddock is the exact opposite. He lacks the talent and the mental fortitude to do much, so he was "efficient" on paper, but basically ignored TONS AND TONS of oppertunities to help his offense
If you actually watch Iowa games, you know that there were literally 20+ times that Ruddock had WRs running WIDE OPEN down field, he clearly sees them, reacts to them, but decides not to take the risk and ends up choosing a play that goes for 3-4 yards

At the end of the day, I think Gardner is BY FAR the best QB out of the entire group (including Ruddock) but that 2014 Ruddock is better than any other 2014 QB michigan has on it's roster. Michigan fans are going to end up saying "We could be good if we still had Gardner!!"

You're going to have to explain how I'm discounting Isaac too much

You disagree that he was USC's #5 RB in 2013? Or that he was clearly behind his fellow frosh RB Justin Davis? Or that he was barley seeing the field before Davis and another RB got hurt? Or that his only real touches were in blowouts and mop up duty?

I'm not saying that Isaac sucks, but you can tell most 5* studs at RB their first year (Gurley, Chubb, Fournette, Freeman, Pernine, Yeldon, etc.)
Michigan counting on Isaac to come in and really change the RB production is like ND counting on Bryant to come back and totally transform our RB position....and we've been getting more our of the position than Michigan has

I think your RB position is okay, I just don't see anything even close to special there. Very "run of the mill" once you get past the star rankings

I'm not "down on your TEs" necessarily, I'm just "not high on your TEs" either

You got about 300 total yards receiving and 3 TDs from your TE position as a whole....ND got that from 1 single TE in 2014....and he was our "worst" starting TE in over a decade

Beyond a lack of real dynamic playmaking, there is no one on your roster that's shown they're an above average blocker, and your most versatile blocker (Hill) is coming of a major injury

Not to mention the fact that Harbaugh really likes to use 2-3 TEs in a lot of his sets, and Michigan really only has 1 TE that they want to put on the field right now (Butt)

What's there to get excited about in this group?

And no, you can't toss the fact that your WR's have failed to make any real impact on your QB. Quality WR's have made major impacts with QB's who are far worse than Gardner.

Darboh has never shown he's anything other than an average possession receiver and Canteen is 175lbs soaking wet...with a total of 1 catch to his name (definition of "spring game star")

When your starting 3 WR's consistent of Darboh, Chesson, and ??? and you're returning about 800 total yards in your receiver core....you have a boarderline pathetic unit

I'm really not sure how you could say anything but "This group has yet to show anything at all on a CFB field", and it's not like you have some dominating, 5* stud coming in to help either...in fact you lose the closest thing you have to that from 2014

What I really see you saying is:
1.) If Michigan gets a QB transfer
2.) If that QB transfer and every other QB makes major steps forward
3.) If that QB can produce for us, while barley ever turning the ball over
4.) If an RB goes from 5th string (2-years ago) to being a good starter
5.) If our TEs improve in both receiving and in blocking
6.) If TE's who have never played more than a few snaps become major
7.) If our 2 best WR's take a major step forward and become reliable
8.) If 2-3 of our other WR's emerge from never having done anything
9.) If our OL can start really playing physical for the first time in years
10.) If our OL can play consistently and not get confused by every blitz known to man

You need all that just to have a "solid, consistent, efficient offense" that you still have to pair with a really good defense to win low scoring ball games
And that's an insane amount of "if's", several that aren't very likely to happen at all, to just get to "solid/good"

Usually when you have to do that much hoping, praying, squinting-at-the-facts to get to "solid/good", the reality is that you're going to be pretty dang bad

That's what I anticipate for Michigan's offense in 2014.....pretty dang bad, especially against any team with decent quality, especially in run defense

Trust me nddecker1. Trust me. Other some crazy 2% or relatives

of Devin Gardner....no one will be saying...dang, I wish we Gardner and we would be good. No one

Rudock is a pretty bland qb. I agree. He isn't the answer in the long term but if again...UM can find any qb that can actually throw a 2-10 yard pass...that is an upgrade. Trust me. If Ruddock throws 10 td's to 5 int's...that will be a huge upgrade. This program needs a qb right now who takes care of the football, runs the offense and makes the underneath throws and can move the chains and put the team in a better field position.

First things first.

Reality Man

Re: Let's look at this another way nddecker1. Assume a new program

Sorry NDDecker your statement that "QB talent at UM is absolutely pathetic" is TBH absolutely ignorant. If you have been following Mich football during the Hoke era you would know that the QB coaching during that time was criminally negligent. Take a look at the QBRs of our starting QBs.

DRob 2011 - 149.6 (under RR), 2012 - 139.9 (Hoke), 2011 - 126.6 (Hoke).
Gardner 2012 - 161.7 (Hoke), 2013 - 146.1 (Hoke), 2014 - 118.8 (Hoke).

BTW Morris also looked better in 2013 than he did in 2014.

Notice a pattern? When your QBs get worse every single year they are in the program that speaks to horrendous coaching. Fact is, if you have been following closely you would know that we really DO NOT KNOW what we have talent wise at QB because the QB coaching has been that bad.

So QB is a big ??? but it is entirely possible that we will field a 'competent' and well coached QB this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT