ADVERTISEMENT

This is an easy MSU/UM game to analyze from my perspective..

Special teams and turnovers...MSU has advantage with TOs, UM with special teams.

If either teams can flip the script (MSU make a game altering STs play or UM beat MSU in turnover margin) it will give them a great shot to win the game.

I have to admit...special teams coverage makes me nervous.

Yes...MSU will bring it this week. I pick MSU until proven otherwise. They are rated higher in the polls and are undefeated. The game is on the road. MSU has the better qb. They have the talent to win.

Why is my pick not reasonable? Because you are a fan?

Yes...MSU will bring it this week. I pick MSU until proven otherwise. They are rated higher in the polls and are undefeated. The game is on the road. MSU has the better qb. They have the talent to win.

Why is my pick not reasonable? Because you are a fan?
Because you don't seem to be looking at the results on the field. Rankings are irrelevant, but if you care about them, MSU is winning and dropping, while Michigan is rising.

And the game is NOT on the road, it's at Michigan Stadium.

Uh, what? Beyond 7 years ago (which sparty fans do not want to go beyond for some reason) there doesn't seem to be much. Except for a sustained history of mediocrity.
It was MSU and OSU fighting it out for bragging rights in the '50's and 60's. Two national championships since joining the conference. Hell, MSU has been a member of the Big Ten for close to 7 decades. um has been the better team in four of those decades, and MSU has been the better team in three. As for right now, it's MSU in the 50's and 60's. UM from 1970 to the late 2000's. and MSU from 2008 to present.

It's been a good series. 28-35-2 since 1950, or since MSU joined the conference. What team has beat UM more? OSU and..........

But hey, in 1902, UM did beat MSU 119-0. Ah, the good old days.

Last edited:
Michigan and MSU have played literally over a hundred times , I think we've played more than the few years previously mentioned

Fails to take into account that MSU's OL is seriously banged up. Bad. How good can Cook be with a banged up OL against our DL.

IMO, Cook will not get his in this game. Prediction - 3 sacks by our DL.

Michigan 24 MSU 14

From an MSU reporter/blogger...some excerpts.

This will look really stupid if UM blows MSU out of the water, but I actually think the Spartans match-up relatively well against Michigan’s offense. I think every MSU fan would agree with me when I say I would MUCH rather face a run-heavy team than another spread attack.

If I’m the defensive coordinator (note: I’m not) my gameplan is to make Jake Rudock beat me. With how well Michigan has run the ball, that’s much easier said than done but it’s the only option. I expect them to load the box with eight or nine men, bring lots of A-gap pressure and dare Rudock to try and beat them over the top.

This will look really stupid if UM blows MSU out of the water, but I actually think the Spartans match-up relatively well against Michigan’s offense. I think every MSU fan would agree with me when I say I would MUCH rather face a run-heavy team than another spread attack.

If I’m the defensive coordinator (note: I’m not) my gameplan is to make Jake Rudock beat me. With how well Michigan has run the ball, that’s much easier said than done but it’s the only option. I expect them to load the box with eight or nine men, bring lots of A-gap pressure and dare Rudock to try and beat them over the top.
Man, now that's a defensive plan I bet no else has even considered. BRILLIANT!

Special teams and turnovers...MSU has advantage with TOs, UM with special teams.

If either teams can flip the script (MSU make a game altering STs play or UM beat MSU in turnover margin) it will give them a great shot to win the game.

I have to admit...special teams coverage makes me nervous.

Opponents have attempted 35 passes of 15 yards or more against Michigan's defense.

They have completed a grand total of three, and five have been intercepted.

That's crazy.

Just another stat that points to how different this Michigan team is under Harbaugh.

Go Blue. Always.

Fails to take into account that MSU's OL is seriously banged up. Bad. How good can Cook be with a banged up OL against our DL.

IMO, Cook will not get his in this game. Prediction - 3 sacks by our DL.

Michigan 24 MSU 14

There are certain variables that favor each side. I think some UM fans are missing the fact that MSU has enough on offense to offset some of the UM advantages on defense. Getting to Cook is clearly critical to offset the experience of Cook.

That being said..what does UM bring to the table to counter a stacked box. Rudock (OP) is going to have to play well. I expect a close hard fought low scoring game. Two teams not willing to make a mistake early. MSU doesn't want to hurt themselves with less than a great UM offense and UM isn't going to want to put there defense in a precarious position.

If I am MSU...I want a 4th quarter game with a experienced qb and figure out how Durkin is going to run his schemes.

^^^^^
Seume's still working out his reading comprehension and contextualization skills issues...
Just stated the series started over a hundred years ago, I read just fine or did you just want to be a pain in the rear, sorry I didn't include the post I was referring too

Last edited:
Just stated the series started over a hundred years ago, I read just fine or did you just want to be a pain in the rear, sorry I didn't include the post I was referring too
I assumed you hadn't read the thread and poked a stick at you. The Sparties here have selective-historical-series memory disorder.

And so do we, one your school would love to have, and it damn sure didn't end in the 70s like you've repeatedly claimed.
Hey, the BigTen SUCKED in the 70's. I was far more impressed with what UM did in the 80's and 90's. In other words, I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about.

Have you been posting drunk the last two weeks? Morgan Stanley business must be going well for you to be so unaware of what you're writing on this board and on Northwestern's, or was it someone else posting under your moniker about how shitty UM was after the 70s (which apparently you've now come around on)? Btw, MSU SUCKED in the 70s, UM was awesome, that was when we barely bothered to play our first string after halftime against you guys. Well, actually the 80s and 90s were frequently also awesome on that score, bitch slapping MSU was a sport in itself.

Check the record, we were close to a number of MNCs that decade (71, 73, 76, 77, 78), but of course since every win by UM was against horrible teams and every loss against the true powers, you'll discount it. Like I said in other posts, grab a history book and bone up on Michigan football...

I don't see how sparty is going to win, they barely win against these teams they play.when you are the no. 2 team in the country you better play like it, this is going to be the best def. that they have played all year , are they going to pull a rabbit out there ass, I don't think so blue 31 msu 13.

If MSU stacks the box with 8/9 men those awful MSU corners will be on an island in either Cover 1 or Cover 0 situations. The flaw with this thinking is that Rudock necessarily has to beat those corners over the top to be effective. UM can run short and intermediate routes vs man coverage and still be effective. Rudock can play game manager vs that type of defensive approach and still beat MSU. We haven't even discussed throwing to Butt and the other TEs or RBs out of the backfield.

One thing I know for sure, Michigan will not be at a deficient in the coaching department in this matchup. I have full confidence that this staff will find a way to run the ball and pass when necessary vs MSU.

Have you been posting drunk the last two weeks? Morgan Stanley business must be going well for you to be so unaware of what you're writing on this board and on Northwestern's, or was it someone else posting under your moniker about how shitty UM was after the 70s (which apparently you've now come around on)? Btw, MSU SUCKED in the 70s, UM was awesome, that was when we barely bothered to play our first string after halftime against you guys. Well, actually the 80s and 90s were frequently also awesome on that score, bitch slapping MSU was a sport in itself.

Check the record, we were close to a number of MNCs that decade (71, 73, 76, 77, 78), but of course since every win by UM was against horrible teams and every loss against the true powers, you'll discount it. Like I said in other posts, grab a history book and bone up on Michigan football...
Funny you mention how MSU sucked in the 70's. You're right. They had a .51 winning percentage. Horrible. BUT, it was good for 3rd best in the conference behind OSU and UM. I believe the rest of the conference had a .38 winning percentage. Check the numbers if you want. The bottom 7 teams in the conference had 57 out of 70 losing seasons. The Big Ten SUCKED IN THE 70's. BTW, what was UM's bowl record in the 70's? 0-7, but oh yeah, your boys were so close to MNC's. UM's record v ranked teams wasn't much better that decade.

I have more respect for what UM did in the 80's and 90's.

Funny you mention how MSU sucked in the 70's. You're right. They had a .51 winning percentage. Horrible. BUT, it was good for 3rd best in the conference behind OSU and UM. I believe the rest of the conference had a .38 winning percentage. Check the numbers if you want. The bottom 7 teams in the conference had 57 out of 70 losing seasons. The Big Ten SUCKED IN THE 70's. BTW, what was UM's bowl record in the 70's? 0-7, but oh yeah, your boys were so close to MNC's. UM's record v ranked teams wasn't much better that decade.

I have more respect for what UM did in the 80's and 90's.
Because the conference mediocre, UM and OSU kicked everyone's ass, but UM lost very close Rose Bowls that were essentially home games annually for USC and Stanford, it doesn't count. Leveraging your same reasoning you must also think that MSU's success against a mediocre BIG these past couple years doesn't really count. OSU rescued a moribund league by winning last year. Oh of course MSU won their bowl games so that's what REALLY counts.

Your selective argumentation, trying to pull out what "matters" and then proving your case, is not an argument it's an intellectual facade. You don't know who UM played in the 70s besides what you Googled so what do you actually know about their bowl losses; you contradict yourself saying one day that the 70s was the last time they were good, when I correct you that they were good for 25 years after the 70s, you simply move on forgetting you ever said anything. My conclusion you simply don't know football and you've shown this repeatedly in your posts and maybe have memory issues about your own posts.

Last edited:
Because the conference was horrible, UM kicked everyone's ass, but lost very close Rose Bowls that were home games annually for USC and Stanford, it doesn't count. Leveraging your same reasoning you must also think that MSU's success against a mediocre BIG these past couple years doesn't really count. OSU rescued a moribund league by winning last year.
MSU played 8 bowl teams last year. UM was lucky to play one team with a winning record other than OSU in the 70's.

BTW, you do realize the Big Ten had a good bowl season last year, right? Also, the Big Ten has the best winning % of the major conferences this season.

In the 70's, there was UM, OSU and a probation shackled, mediocre MSU team. The rest of the teams in the conference were just plain bad. The Big Ten had a lot of 0-3 win teams that decade. The conference is much more competitive today. You can't argue against that. Well, I guess you can, but you would be on the losing side of the debate.

dantoio_zps5gd0gonj.jpg

Dantonio in his post game presser.

MSU played 8 bowl teams last year. UM was lucky to play one team with a winning record other than OSU in the 70's.

BTW, you do realize the Big Ten had a good bowl season last year, right? Also, the Big Ten has the best winning % of the major conferences this season.

In the 70's, there was UM, OSU and a probation shackled, mediocre MSU team. The rest of the teams in the conference were just plain bad. The Big Ten had a lot of 0-3 win teams that decade. The conference is much more competitive today. You can't argue against that. Well, I guess you can, but you would be on the losing side of the debate.
I've concluded you don't know how to read, thanks, I'm not wasting any more time on you and your tail-chasing banality. GO BLUE!

I've concluded you don't know how to read, thanks, I'm not wasting any more time on you and your tail-chasing banality. GO BLUE!
Right. You just refuse to admit I'm right. See ya.

BTW, I just noticed that you've posted 3647 times here and have a whopping 11 likes.

I'm just here messing around and picked up 14.

You need to improve the content of your posts.

Last edited:
I don't regret or take back a word. UM did most of what I hoped they would and should have come out with a 2 pt victory save a once-in-a-lifetime fluke play.
230 yards of offense is what you wanted? 62 yards rushing? At home? Against a D that was missing two starting CB's a starting safety and a starting LB?

Great game, but if it wasn't for special teams (yes, 1/3 of the game), MSU wins this one comfortably.

Once again, great game and see you next year in East Lansing.

Not to mention the fabled 12 second forward progress call.....

230 yards of offense is what you wanted? 62 yards rushing? At home? Against a D that was missing two starting CB's a starting safety and a starting LB?

Great game, but if it wasn't for special teams (yes, 1/3 of the game), MSU wins this one comfortably.

Once again, great game and see you next year in East Lansing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT