ADVERTISEMENT

This is an easy MSU/UM game to analyze from my perspective..

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
It comes down to which qb plays better.

Cook and his wr's vs. the UM defense.

Rudock and his TE's vs the MSU defense

Both teams will probably struggle running the ball. I give MSU the advantage because of Cook and his playmakers. Coaching staffs are both quality and both will throw in some new wrinkles.

MSU 10
UM 7

Very very close game.

Reality Man

Both teams will probably struggle running the ball. I give MSU the advantage because of Cook and his playmakers. Coaching staffs are both quality and both will throw in some new wrinkles.

MSU 10
UM 7

Very very close game.

Reality Man
Cook and WRs need an upright offensive line to do their worst and I think UM's attach dogs on the line give us a substantial advantage, not to mention overcoming UM's DBs the 1A unit on the team. Plus MSU's D has not nearly played well enough the last weeks to hold UM to 7.

DJ....

We agree on some level which is why it's the qb. Cook get's rid of the ball quickly...he is smart and he is going to have to minimize any rush and he is going to have to do the heavy lifting.

MSU is well coached and they have a good DL...going to try and take the underneath stuff away..residual from Narduzzi. Rudock is going to have to play well.

It's the way I see it. MSU is going to be motivated. UM is going to be motivated. This game is huge. UM is at home. It needs a big win to solidify it's perception of a program on the rise...top 10 program. MSU is probably more motivated by fear of losing it's top dog status. MSU has enough skill talent to win this game along with it's mindset of winning games.

This is a team conditioned to win. I have been impressed with UM but on paper I think MSU can put points on the board although the resistance will be greater against UM. How does UM respond when MSU scores a TD?

UM can definitely win this game...but so can MSU. It's a toss up in my mind. Comes down to the qb's. Don't get me wrong...Rudock can get it done. He adds some moxie but he is going to have to play well but I expect Cook to play well too. I'd just lean to the better qb. Has Rudock ever played in this big of a game. I know Cook has.

Reality Man

MSU has major injuries on the OL. Our DL is going to stuff the run & put a ton of pressure on Cook. He'll be running for his life. On the flip side UM will run the ball on Sparty. Hell everyone else has..

UM 31 - MSU 17

MSU 10
UM 7

Very very close game.

Reality Man
Man, I came here wanting to talk some crap, but I have to give your reason it's place.
I agree. Low scoring game. Hard fought, to be sure.
Should be a classic.
A younger brother, now post adolescent, distinguished, and mature.
An older brother that stumbled through the desert for seven years, but now found his way and back to form.

Coaching...Xerxis vs Leonidas.

Okay, what's the point without some drama:)

Oh, this is going to be a battle. How could any green or blue not want this? This is why I love to follow this insanity.

Last edited:
MSU is not holding UM to 7 points. They haven't held anyone to single digits. We aren't the worst offense they face.

UM smoked NW's defense which had played very well. Smoked 'em. I believe UM has Ruddock right where they want him. He cannot and will not go deep. Doesn't have to. He impressed me with his short passing and the play selection was terrific. NW was scrambling all day long. UM appeared one step ahead of NW when they had the ball. I think they will do that to the Spartans as well. MSU's LBs and D-backs (with the exception of Bullough and maybe, Frey) do not fly to the ball as they have in the past. Michigan and Ruddock will find guys open. The O line will find space in MSU's D line and will keep the Spartans guessing all day long. UM will get into the 20's easily. Will it be enough?

Cook will have to throw well and often to put points up. No turnovers! Our kicking game is also not up to standards past. The big if will be if Holmes and Williams (watch him.....I think he will be key) can plow through some guys and pick up 1st downs. Scott will get his carries and yards, but it's the 2 other guys that will need to produce. Scott is dinged up too. The Spartan O line is hurtin' so the RB's will have to move the pile. Can they?

I said yesterday I think this will be a UM, 2 TD victory. I'm still going with 27-13 Michigan. The pain! The horror!

MSU 10
UM 7

Very very close game.

Reality Man
Here's the way I look at it. Being 6 games in, we can start looking at stats a bit. What I like to look at is how a teams total O or D does against its opponents average total O and D for the year. In other words, if an O is averaging 400 yards, and D a holds that O to 300, that's a job well done.

OK, on Defense, um has held all 6 of its opponents to less than their seasons average. 5 of the 6 by over 150 yards. Great job. Dominant.

MSU's D has held 5 of its 6 opponents O's to under their seasons average. Most by 50 or most yards. The one team that had more yards than its season average was 19 yards over that average. Not a bad job, but not dominant.

Big advantage to UM, but it looks like it will be likely both O's on Saturday will be below their seasons average for total yards.

As for the two O's. UM and MSU both have out gained 3 of their opponents total D averages. Looks pretty even here, with possibly a slight advantage to MSU.

I agree with you, it looks like a very close game. That said, with home field advantage, I'd go with UM by 7 or so. Hope I'm wrong.

Here's the way I look at it. Being 6 games in, we can start looking at stats a bit. What I like to look at is how a teams total O or D does against its opponents average total O and D for the year. In other words, if an O is averaging 400 yards, and D a holds that O to 300, that's a job well done.

OK, on Defense, um has held all 6 of its opponents to less than their seasons average. 5 of the 6 by over 150 yards. Great job. Dominant.

MSU's D has held 5 of its 6 opponents O's to under their seasons average. Most by 50 or most yards. The one team that had more yards than its season average was 19 yards over that average. Not a bad job, but not dominant.

Big advantage to UM, but it looks like it will be likely both O's on Saturday will be below their seasons average for total yards.

As for the two O's. UM and MSU both have out gained 3 of their opponents total D averages. Looks pretty even here, with possibly a slight advantage to MSU.

I agree with you, it looks like a very close game. That said, with home field advantage, I'd go with UM by 7 or so. Hope I'm wrong.
You really need to check you son from getting on your account on Rivals, this is actually logical and sensible talk, unlike the jackassry he's been posting on your behalf for over a week. In my house, you don't mess with Dad's Rivals account. I suggest you lay down the law as well.

You really need to check you son from getting on your account on Rivals, this is actually logical and sensible talk, unlike the jackassry he's been posting on your behalf for over a week. In my house, you don't mess with Dad's Rivals account. I suggest you lay down the law as well.
Well, I did say UM would probably win by 7. That probably is "jackassry". I blame it on the late night with clients. (That and the Astros' epic meltdown)

Well, I did say UM would probably win by 7. That probably is "jackassry". I blame it on the late night with clients. (That and the Astros' epic meltdown)
Hey man, respect yourself more than that, there's no reason to do such acts just because your boss demands it...

Hey man, respect yourself more than that, there's no reason to do such acts just because your boss demands it...
I work for Morgan Stanley and I'm pretty much my own boss. I abuse myself occasionally because I like to make money. When I say "abuse", I mean a few too many beers.

Msu has given up 20+ points all but one time I can't see them holding blue to just 7. They always get up for this game but Michigan's D is to much for them. I don't know what the score will be but don't see Michigan losing this game.

Sparty has been garbage all year! Along with all the injuries, they're gonna get hammered in this game! "Sparty will play with intensity" blah blah blah. You people are terrible at this

Just looking out for you lil bro
Funny. I WAS the little brother in my family. Until I started kicking the crap out of my older brother. He played football at the Coast Guard Academy, I played a couple years at MSU. Anyways, are you a member of the Fort also, or are you watching your pennies?

Sparty has been garbage all year! Along with all the injuries, they're gonna get hammered in this game! "Sparty will play with intensity" blah blah blah. You people are terrible at this
6-0 this year and 34-3 over the last 37 games. 18-3 on the road. 24 players on MSU's team had a lot of playing time in all of last seasons big games. The last big game the any player on the UM team won, or played in was?

Yes, I'm sure it'll be a beat down.

Yes, I'm an idiot. Your team is a fricken juggernaut! When sparty shows up Saturday with all of their 1st team all americans I'm sure harbaugh will just cower to the all mighty sparty! I'm headed over to the Caroo rivals board now

6-0 this year and 34-3 over the last 37 games. 18-3 on the road. 24 players on MSU's team had a lot of playing time in all of last seasons big games. The last big game the any player on the UM team won, or played in was?

Ancient history..

THIS YEAR Sparty has struggled to beat below average teams.
THIS YEAR UM has shutout 3 straight opponents 2 of them ranked.

You're walking into a tsunami & what Cook did versus OSU 2 years ago is irrelevant...

can throw out all the stats for this game. this will be a game played on will, desire, and passion - the team that wants it the most will win. Sparty has struggled but nothing saying they don't play a perfect game lights out that they beat us. Michigan could do the same. This will boil down to belief and confidence. If Michigan executes and does not get intimidated by MSU (they have been the past 2 years), they will win. I fully expect MD to have a couple fake punts, a random onside kick when we least expect it, change of tempo, etc. He's the master of of finding timely advantages when needed. I still think we win out but it will be a very close and tough game.

Is Conklin playing btw?

Sparty;s SOS has been terrible making statistical comparisons irrelevant.

UM wins going away. We won't shut out MSU and won't have to do so -- the O will move the ball. MSU's safeties blow and Harbaugh will be throwing TE's at them all day long.

You read just like the Sparty press release...Everything talks about what happened in 2007....blah blah blah. It's 2015. Stop with the experience and motivation crap. No one on ohio played in a big games prior to what they did last year, but they seemed to be just fine in the heat of a playoff. Ridiculous talk from you.

These players know what pressure is like. They play in front of 110k every week in the fishbowl that is Michigan football.

Cook and WRs need an upright offensive line to do their worst and I think UM's attach dogs on the line give us a substantial advantage, not to mention overcoming UM's DBs the 1A unit on the team. Plus MSU's D has not nearly played well enough the last weeks to hold UM to 7.

Agree.

It is very likely that Michigan's D, with an excellent DL rotation will really wear a hobbled MSU OL with insufficient depth.

I think that will be the biggest factor on Saturday.

Go Blue. Always.

Agree.

It is very likely that Michigan's D, with an excellent DL rotation will really wear a hobbled MSU OL with insufficient depth.

I think that will be the biggest factor on Saturday.

Go Blue. Always.
Hey Blue. I must have missed the notice but I keep your website as a "Favorite" and yet when I go on their it only shows week 1. UR not doing each week due to time, or technical issues ? Maybe I'm looking at a wrong link ? God Bless and Go Blue "74

Hey Blue. I must have missed the notice but I keep your website as a "Favorite" and yet when I go on their it only shows week 1. UR not doing each week due to time, or technical issues ? Maybe I'm looking at a wrong link ? God Bless and Go Blue "74

Tech issue, since Week 1.

I will be emailing the latest standings later today.

Time permitting today, I'll begin the task of finding a new web host.

Sorry for the inconvenience my friend. It ticks me off, believe me.

Go Blue. Always.

Reactions: wolverines74

MSU 10
UM 7

Very very close game.

Reality Man

That's a lot of nonsense. This game will be decided by more than the QB's. Michigan has been the better overall team, we have the better coach, we have the revenge factor on our side, and we are at home. Plus the "disrespected" bullshit Dantoni uses won't work anymore.

That's a lot of nonsense. This game will be decided by more than the QB's. Michigan has been the better overall team, we have the better coach, we have the revenge factor on our side, and we are at home. Plus the "disrespected" bullshit Dantoni uses won't work anymore.

At this point now, when you hear msu players talking about having the "chip" on their shoulder, it almost seems forced. Just doesn't seem to carry the same weight anymore. But you can bet that Michigan WILL be walking into this game with a huge chip on their shoulders, and Harbaugh will have them absolutely prepared.

Reactions: Blue_J
Of course there are other elements to the game but don't kid yourself...Rudock is going to have to play well and Cook is going to have to do a lot of the heavy lifting. This MSU team knows how to win big games.

Balas and myself agree...this game is going to be close. UM fans are getting way ahead of themselves based on the blowout against Northwestern. MSU is at an entirely different level even with injuries. They have been coasting.

This game is a toss-up and no question in my mind it's coming down to which qb can handle the environment the best. You need a good qb to counter this UM defense...MSU has it.

RM

Of course there are other elements to the game but don't kid yourself...Rudock is going to have to play well and Cook is going to have to do a lot of the heavy lifting. This MSU team knows how to win big games.

Balas and myself agree...this game is going to be close. UM fans are getting way ahead of themselves based on the blowout against Northwestern. MSU is at an entirely different level even with injuries. They have been coasting.

This game is a toss-up and no question in my mind it's coming down to which qb can handle the environment the best. You need a good qb to counter this UM defense...MSU has it.

RM

So that's why you are picking msu to win 10-7?

Funny. I WAS the little brother in my family. Until I started kicking the crap out of my older brother. He played football at the Coast Guard Academy, I played a couple years at MSU. Anyways, are you a member of the Fort also, or are you watching your pennies?
I never bothered with the Fort, so many other sources of UM football info for free including WTKA, Mgoblog, etc. Plus I've been on this message board for ever and honestly, in it's hay day, the humor was second to none. ND, OSU and MSU fans posted at their own risk, smack was not tolerated! As a MSU football alum on board, you should have a unique perspective on this one. I'm friends with a guy who walked on to MSU for a couple years before going to med school.

RM
I don't think most of us are getting ahead of ourselves, we just see reality RM, UM has been playing lights out D and very efficient O. MSU has gotten sloppier and sloppier as the season has progressed, the seasons of both are going in very different directions. MSU has plenty of talent on offense, but their defense looks very vulnerable. So it's their strength (which has been uneven) vs. our strength which is at a crescendo and our weakest unit vs their struggling defense. I love our chances, it will not be a rout, but I am very confident we will play hard and win this one.

If we can make things happen Defensively ( INT or Fumble return for a score) and with Special teams (punt return for a score) this game may not be close. "74

I never bothered with the Fort, so many other sources of UM football info for free including WTKA, Mgoblog, etc. Plus I've been on this message board for ever and honestly, in it's hay day, the humor was second to none. ND, OSU and MSU fans posted at their own risk, smack was not tolerated! As a MSU football alum on board, you should have a unique perspective on this one. I'm friends with a guy who walked on to MSU for a couple years before going to med school.
Ancient history..

THIS YEAR Sparty has struggled to beat below average teams.
THIS YEAR UM has shutout 3 straight opponents 2 of them ranked.

You're walking into a tsunami & what Cook did versus OSU 2 years ago is irrelevant...
No offense man, but what fan base talks about history more that UM's? ND's perhaps?

I'm talking recent history, not something that happened 10+ years ago.

No offense man, but what fan base talks about history more that UM's? ND's perhaps?

No offense but history is history. Of course you'd like to confine history to your arbitrary window to fit you nice little narrative.

None of that matters on Saturday..

Well, you know, you actually have to have some history to talk about it in the first place.

RM

MSU is coasting? More like they've been just scraping by. They will have to play MUCH better than they have all year to beat Michigan.

Yet you pick MSU to win.

Ummm, okay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT