ADVERTISEMENT

Rashad Weaver

BlueKachi

Junior
May 24, 2014
"A couple days later I was sitting on the couch, and Coach [Jay] had asked me something. I don't remember what I responded, but he said, 'how would you feel if I told you that you have a full scholarship offer to the University of Michigan?' I told him that I was sitting there smiling like a little kid that just got a whole bunch of candy. He said again when I got off the phone with them that they like me on both sides."

And that turned into a preferred walk on / gray shirt offer.

Like I said, welcome to the SEC, folks. Harbaugh is just as smarmy as the rest of them.

But UM will win.

Reactions: Jtrader
What is "SOP" and "acceptable" in the recruiting world ---- I guess it "evolves" over time.

I'll leave it at that.

It doesn't evolve if you have principles and live by them

I'll admit ---- if you had told me 12 months ago we would be seeing this, I would not have believed you. It's never happened before at Michigan. But now it is.

Michigan flipped a recruit from my school (Penn State) earlier today. FLIPPING RECRUITS IS FULLY GOOD!! It's obviously a win for Dwomfour, he gets to go to one school that he prefers versus another. It's obviously a win for Michigan. The only people being "screwed" here is Penn State, but Penn State is a direct competitor in a zero-sum-game ..... and PSU is coached by an adult and has a coaching staff made up of adults ....... and besides, Penn State is out there doing trying to flip guys themselves. So, Penn State is NOT being screwed. It's a win-win for Michigan and Dwomfour, and life goes on for Penn State.

But here --- it's NOT a win-win. Win for Michigan, loss for a player who thought he had committed to Michigan.

I'll admit ---- if you had told me 12 months ago we would be seeing this, I would not have believed you. It's never happened before at Michigan. But now it is.

Michigan flipped a recruit from my school (Penn State) earlier today. FLIPPING RECRUITS IS FULLY GOOD!! It's obviously a win for Dwomfour, he gets to go to one school that he prefers versus another. It's obviously a win for Michigan. The only people being "screwed" here is Penn State, but Penn State is a direct competitor in a zero-sum-game ..... and PSU is coached by an adult and has a coaching staff made up of adults ....... and besides, Penn State is out there doing trying to flip guys themselves. So, Penn State is NOT being screwed. It's a win-win for Michigan and Dwomfour, and life goes on for Penn State.

But here --- it's NOT a win-win. Win for Michigan, loss for a player who thought he had committed to Michigan.
Of whose situation, again, you know nothing about. Absolutely nothing other then media comments by the student athlete, which of course is not a story at all, just a half of the picture, if that. But that won't slow down the ready, fire, aim firing squad you've linked arms with. Like EvanstonCat, I imagine if the outcome on the field had been reversed this year and you felt your prospects for beating UM were good to great in the coming years, not low to non-existent, then I strongly doubt we would be hearing from you and the gang of preemptive moralizers.

None of this should come as a shock. This stuff has been going on forever. It happened to me more than 20 years ago. Offers get rescinded all the time. Kids commit and decommit. This is recruiting and it's just like dating and marriage. People change, people change their mind. I'm pretty sure most people didn't marry the first girl they dated or broke up with a girl because they liked someone else. It's not always pretty but it's a part of the process.

Of whose situation, again, you know nothing about. Absolutely nothing other then media comments by the student athlete, which of course is not a story at all, just a half of the picture, if that. But that won't slow down the ready, fire, aim firing squad you've linked arms with. Like EvanstonCat, I imagine if the outcome on the field had been reversed this year and you felt your prospects for beating UM were good to great in the coming years, not low to non-existent, then I strongly doubt we would be hearing from you and the gang of preemptive moralizers.

I've been here for years. Not like I'm just jumping into the fray.

I call it like I see it with my own school (PSU) ...... and I call it like I see it with my childhood-favorite school and a school I still respect and like to see win 90% off the time.

How I see it: JH is treating people poorly. He's moving the "bar of acceptable behavior" downward.

He can and should do better. We'll see: this is forgivable if it's not a long-term trend.

If there is a backlash in time it will be measurable. It works in the SEC, but they seem to have more recruits in the recruiting footprint. Wearing out your welcome is not as harmful when the number of recruits is somewhat unlimited.

I call it like I see it with my own school (PSU) ...... and I call it like I see it with my childhood-favorite school and a school I still respect and like to see win 90% off the time.

How I see it: JH is treating people poorly. He's moving the "bar of acceptable behavior" downward.

He can and should do better. We'll see: this is forgivable if it's not a long-term trend.
But, yet your ignorance continues, despite your age...how can you continue to type out paragraph after paragraph on this site and BWI claiming to know exhaustively what has occurred or been promised when you don't know. Disappointing to not see wisdom come with your years, but so it goes. It might be as you claim, but you don't know, neither do I, hence why don't respect your opinions on this.

Reactions: rojo36
But, yet your ignorance continues, despite your age...how can you continue to type out paragraph after paragraph on this site and BWI claiming to know exhaustively what has occurred or been promised when you don't know. Disappointing to not see wisdom come with your years, but so it goes. It might be as you claim, but you don't know, neither do I, hence why don't respect your opinions on this.

http://3-star dl rashad weaver deco...changed offer to preferred walk-on situation/

So, did Rashad also fail to go to camp? Did he loaf his senior year? What's the explanation this time? Do you fail to see the pattern?

Yeah...I agree. Here is how I see this entire recruiting game.

Kids use the system/process. Fine.
Coaches have to deal with these kids but the difference is they are supposed to be the mature adults/leaders.

I recognize the wild wild west recruiting game. The only thing I would advise this staff on going forward is when you get offer a guy...just tell them that they will be continually evaluated under the letter of intent is signed. If they don't hear from UM it means you should contact UM to find out what is going on.

Just don't take a firm/unconditional commitment. It makes everyone on the staff look bad. Now going forward all these kids who are not quite top of the heap guys won't trust UM and why should they?

Harbaugh and staff pushed the line/envelope too far. You can keep on recruiting a guy (that's how it works now) but don't tell a kid you are part of the family and then treat them like a 1099 contact worker.

RM

This is exactly right. It's a mistake and someone needs to communicate this to the staff and make a slight adjustment. When you take a commitment...you stick to it unless you can get the kid/family to agree that a better course of action is out there for the taking.

Here is a good analogy to what Harbaugh is doing. He is basically not dating this kids but he proposed to them and they accepted and engaged and then he comes to them when they are already starting to make wedding plans and 30 days beforehand says...nah...I am not in love with you.

There is going to be a backlash because at it's core...it's wrong. I respect your Michnittlion. You have been a very thoughtful and reasonable fan of PSU. You represent your University very well. It's not a sign of weakness to criticize your own team. I think there are too many fans who don't want to criticize a new coach who is doing really well and wants to win. Hell...I want UM to get back to the top but it doesn't have to do this to win and beat MSU and OSU and even Alabama.

Maybe it will take Harbaugh a year or so to understand UM doesn't have to work this way. I feel really bad for both of these guys (Swenson and Weaver). They will be o.k but it doesn't make it right for them to have to make last minute plans.

Maybe the answer going forward is no verbal commitments to any school before 90 days or signing. Who knows...just a suggestion.

RM

Wrong. There is always some truth within stories like this. Even if 50% of what Swenson and Weaver claim happened is true, Harbaugh is being slimy, unnecessarily. It is wrong. If he's worth 7 million he doesn't have to build it this way.,

Wrong. There is always some truth within stories like this. Even if 50% of what Swenson and Weaver claim happened is true, Harbaugh is being slimy, unnecessarily. It is wrong. If he's worth 7 million he doesn't have to build it this way.,

Should Harbaugh be fired?

Let's wait and see how our coach responds and being like he is he may not respond at all. But to imply that he does not care about these kids is wrong. When you offer 125 kids you know that you can not take them all. So why not the best of the bunch. When the players commit they are not bound to stay commited until they sign their letter of intent. We have been burned in the past and it could happen yet this year. But so far I trust our staff will do the right thing. Go Blue!

Let's wait and see how our coach responds and being like he is he may not respond at all. But to imply that he does not care about these kids is wrong. When you offer 125 kids you know that you can not take them all. So why not the best of the bunch. When the players commit they are not bound to stay commited until they sign their letter of intent. We have been burned in the past and it could happen yet this year. But so far I trust our staff will do the right thing. Go Blue!

The same people on this board that complained that Hoke ran a "country club" program are the same ones that complain that Harbaugh is too tough
on recruits. You can't have it both ways folks. JH is being paid to win games, not coddle recruits and parents.

How much do you want for your season tickets? You cannot possibly be associated with such compromised programs.

A grad? Who in the hell cares? Does graduating from Michigan make you a better fan than Detroit John if he didn't? I grew up in Detroit and graduated from North Carolina Chapel Hill and I am a huge Michigan fan. If you are grad then statements like that is why the entire nation refers to many Michigan fans being so arrogant. You probably make comments about how stupid southerners are that Alabama fans are ignorant or that the SEC is evil and ignorant. I expect a more "liberally educated, Michigan grad" to be more open minded.

It matters when it comes to integrity (in which case my opinion means more than yours). Lemme ask you, how much did you donate to UM last year?).

Fair enough. I guess we'll get to know the "other side of the story" in seven days.

Harbaugh will be in front of the cameras. The media will be there. The questions will be asked. Angelique or Sam Webb won't be asking the questions (of course not!!!), but someone will.

I wonder if Michigan football is going to call PR firm Edelman again. As I'm sure you know, Michigan had them on retainer for late 2014 and for much of 2015. There could be some billable hours coming up!!!

It matters when it comes to integrity (in which case my opinion means more than yours). Lemme ask you, how much did you donate to UM last year?).
Oh, I should mention I would have enjoyed kicking your ass in intramural football (played for three years). Too bad I didn't have the chance, I loved taking my walk-on-wannabe frustrations out on entitled wankers like you.

Oh, I should mention I would have enjoyed kicking your ass in intramural football (played for three years). Too bad I didn't have the chance, I loved taking my walk-on-wannabe frustrations out on entitled wankers like you.

Wait, Class of 1990 ---- yet you are still talking about your IM football exploits?

Let me guess, back in high school, you once scored FOUR TOUCHDOWNS for Polk High in the City Championship game.

Excuse me, but I now have a sudden urge to listen to a certain Bruce Springsteen song.

Wait, Class of 1990 ---- yet you are still talking about your IM football exploits?

Let me guess, back in high school, you once scored FOUR TOUCHDOWNS for Polk High in the City Championship game.

Excuse me, but I now have a sudden urge to listen to a certain Bruce Springsteen song.
Lineman all the way, our exploits were committed in, shall we say, more close range and non descript fashion ;)

I get the feeling you are actually pissed off there isn't more hand wringing here.

I get the feeling you are actually pissed off there isn't more hand wringing here.

This board and our opinions --- it of course means jack-shit in the big picture.

(of course, we're still here --- so I guess that says something about us)

I get it. There is a sub-set of Michigan fans who think these three things: (1) Jim Harbaugh was the devil incarnate in the summer of 2007, and his "Michigan Man" card should be taken away permanently. (2) After 8 years of average-to-good, but never Championship-level, football, Harbaugh became the savior and a man above reproach, because he will be the man who will slay the evil-doers to the southeast (Urban) and northwest (Dantonio).

Fair enough. As the renowned philosopher Ted DiBiase said, we ALL have our price.

Reactions: PSUPALY
This board and our opinions --- it of course means jack-shit in the big picture.

(of course, we're still here --- so I guess that says something about us)

I get it. There is a sub-set of Michigan fans who think these three things: (1) Jim Harbaugh was the devil incarnate in the summer of 2007, and his "Michigan Man" card should be taken away permanently. (2) After 8 years of average-to-good, but never Championship-level, football, Harbaugh became the savior and a man above reproach, because he will be the man who will slay the evil-doers to the southeast (Urban) and northwest (Dantonio).

Fair enough. As the renowned philosopher Ted DiBiase said, we ALL have our price.
Christ, I'm sure if you try harder you can bring even more drama to this thread.

I'm going to put it out right here and now and say I was one of the hoard who demanded Harbaugh's head in 2007. I hated the guy then, I love the guy now. Like any other opinion, it changes over time. Funny how that happens. Guys on your board couldn't wait to get rid of JoePa when he was coaching at the end - the game passed him by, he should be fired etc, but when he died he became the sainted man you see there today.

OSU fans thought Meyer was a scum bag of the highest order, until he started coaching there.

See the pattern emerging?

Christ, I'm sure if you try harder you can bring even more drama to this thread.

I'm going to put it out right here and now and say I was one of the hoard who demanded Harbaugh's head in 2007. I hated the guy then, I love the guy now. Like any other opinion, it changes over time. Funny how that happens. Guys on your board couldn't wait to get rid of JoePa when he was coaching at the end - the game passed him by, he should be fired etc, but when he died he became the sainted man you see there today.

OSU fans thought Meyer was a scum bag of the highest order, until he started coaching there.

See the pattern emerging?

Credit for admitting your 2007 opinion.

I will conjecture to say that among Michigan fans as whole --- in some "alternate universe" where Michigan averages 10 wins a year in the 2008-2014 era and sprinkles in a few B1G Championships (e.g., repeats what Lloyd Carr did), yet is looking for a new Head Coach ---- Harbaugh is generally a non-starter as an option.

Is what it is. Lose some games, standards change.

Gentlemen. I am reading this great blog via my hospital bed battling serious cellulitus on my nose. Incredible pain and a long treatment ahead and how I thirst for a great IPA right now. You guys keep me going!!!!!

Intramural football? You mean flag football?

Woo hoo!!

A true tough guy!

I feel for those of you who don't see the bad optics here -- the rest of us do. It's pretty clear Harbaugh used the camps as a means to drum up PR.

Mission accomplished.

But he used the kids he offered and then booted. Don't pull the wool over your own eyes.

Intramural football? You mean flag football?

Woo hoo!!

A true tough guy!

I feel for those of you who don't see the bad optics here -- the rest of us do. It's pretty clear Harbaugh used the camps as a means to drum up PR.

Mission accomplished.

But he used the kids he offered and then booted. Don't pull the wool over your own eyes.
Well, since the "you're not an alumni" and "how much do you give to UM" non sequiturs aren't quite getting traction, you'll head off in another direction still thinking you're arguing a valid point based on something you failed to and cannot establish.

Now you're asking us to take you seriously when wondering about optics when talking about the most visible, media savvy coach in football. Have fun working that one, "fellow UM alum". My guess, given the way you reason, you majored in sociology, where no argument is safe from illogic.

You strike me as a guy who doesn't commit to anything, no wonder your own board doesn't trust you, and any inclination to turn to Springsteen is probably inspired by the fact that our coach is robbing his home state blind of every talented football player in order to come here and beat Penn State's ass for the next decade. Enjoy I certainly will.

What about your integrity? Are you demanding that Harbaugh be fired? Canceling your season tickets? Oh no, just bitching on a message board?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT