ADVERTISEMENT

Great, GREAT read on Harbaugh from Fox Spots

That Va Tech game was a disaster on offense and previewed what was to come in the years ahead for Hoke, hopelessly lost offensive schemes. I was embarrassed by the win, it was that bad. UM's line was overwhelmed and their offense was Robinson running for his life and heaving prayers into the endzone.

The two main hiccups from this year was the slide defensively vs. IU and the second half vs OSU. The IU defense issues were mostly scheme and injury issues, IMHO, and the OSU issues were likely simply a team having twice to triple the talent we had.
There is much to be encouraged by for UM fans and we have a hell of a lot of momentum from the bowl and recruiting. 2016 looks to be a very strong year and should catapult us into another strong class.

- - -

Agree on all fronts. I think if we had had more speed at LB the IU and OSU games would have been significantly different. Not going to rip on the LBs - they busted their ass all season - just have to have more speed to be able to makes plays in space. We have those kind of 'backers coming in, thankfully.

Go BLUE. Always.

P

- - -

Taking a fact and trying to have your opinion trump it isn't insulting, you're just being silly.

You don't watch Michigan games, but stare at final scores. Great, but they hardly tell the whole story.

Again, we'll see how 2016 shakes out vs 2012, to verify ( for you ) the upswing is happening and cap the contention (of yours) that it doesn't exist.

I think you're the only one saying Michigan isn't isn't on an upswing, so the contention has your name on it, and yours alone.

Go Blue. Always.

I love the twists in what is being said. I never said Mich wasn't on the upswing. I didn't say that an upswing was unlikely, or that an upswing is questionable. I said "they seem to be." A very reasonable statement.

This board is quickly becoming as much fun as the BWI board.

Reactions: michnittlion
2011 was one of those years where everything fell Michigan's way - we would heave a ball and it would bounce off the CBs hands into our for a TD. Sometimes luck falls your way - I remember after that season saying "we got really lucky but I hope we improve to keep similar results". Ironically in 2012 we actually had a better team but we had no luck at all - we got pounded by Bama and then we threw 6 INTs in a row to ND where they got all the lucky bounces and we got none at all. Then we lose to Nebraska because Denard goes down and Bellomy had never seen a football and we had a similar play that cost us the OSU. Finally it ended with South Carolina getting a last minute long TD run on us where we had 2 chances to put the game away but we did not.

Hoke's first 2 seasons were mired by "great luck" & "terrible luck" but we never really showed constant progress that was needed. JH's first season had a bit of the luck element as well - we got very unlucky against Utah (2 dropped TDs) and of course MSU and we got very lucky against Minnesota. I would not call IU luck because it was just who could score last and we did.

Bottom line is this klemman (since you love coming on this board). When your team does well, it does not matter how but you are encouraged and that is fine. When Urban went 12-0 his first season were you sitting there thinking "crap we are not as good as our record we may lose a few next year???" No, you don't do that as a fan - name me a fan that does that I would tell they are incredibly pessimistic. Yes I was encouraged by Hoke his first year but it did not pan out. I am encouraged by JH his first year and it may not pan out but I believe it will. What do you want Michigan fans to say "Jury will be out in 4 years but for now we are going to curb our enthusiasm and continue to expect the worst and be negative?"

Seriously I am really sick of your random barbs - why don't you just come and say that is what you want Michigan fans to say and a bunch of us will so we can stop having to put up with your silly posts!!! BTW, did you think that after your basketball team went to 2 Final 4s that you would start going downwards every year? Was that what all OSU fans were thinking or were they optimistic? Maybe Michigan fans are just niave!

I love the twists in what is being said. I never said Mich wasn't on the upswing. I didn't say that an upswing was unlikely, or that an upswing is questionable. I said "they seem to be." A very reasonable statement.

FWIW, I thought your post was reasonable and perfectly fine.

It's 204 days until opening day of college football season. There will be NO empirical results to validate anybody's predictions until then.

Some folk are very impatient, they cannot wait 204 days. For the moment, "seem" is the correct word, IMO.

I give Harbaugh credit for effort, but marketing genius? He is definitely throwing as much as he can against the wall to see what sticks, but as is typical with such a strategy, it's hit or miss.

The satellite camps- that was genius. In your face Outside the box football thinking that plays to Harbaugh's strengths.

Climbing trees, sleep overs, shirtless pictures on social media- While it garnishes attention it hurts as much as it helps. If you already like him, the actions come off as slightly embarrassing but endearing. If you don't like him it comes off as weird. If you are on the fence, the risk is it comes off as trying too hard.

The Signing Day Party- it will get media attention. The question is how Harbaugh will come off looking in such an environment. I'm guessing that being the Star focus in such a atmosphere isn't Harbaugh's strength. While some of the guests will come off looking cool, Harbaugh risks looking out of place and awkward.

I think the Michigan brand and Harbaugh's football reputation doesn't need a circus for attention. In the end it may hurt as much as help.
Well, since your analysis of his recruiting "weirdness" was dead wrong (he hit it out of the park the last two weeks of the cycle) as was your prognostication that the Signing of the Stars might be "out of place and awkward" setting for Harbaugh, I guess your opinions are being held in less than high esteem around here. You might want to bone up on your understanding of metaphors while you're working on your analytical skills.

FWIW, I thought your post was reasonable and perfectly fine.

It's 204 days until opening day of college football season. There will be NO empirical results to validate anybody's predictions until then.

Some folk are very impatient, they cannot wait 204 days. For the moment, "seem" is the correct word, IMO.
Actually, why don't you reread his dead wrong post at the beginning of this thread. He kind of looks like the non-sharpest blade in the drawer as a result. That may be the reason some of us are looking sideways at him.

Well, they either are, or they are not, correct?

Glad you're having fun pretending to know where Michigan football is at.

Continue...

Go Blue. Always.

Continue...

Go Blue. Always.

Schrodinger's Wolverines. They will either be better in 2016 vs. 2015, or they will not.

But until the box gets opened in 203 days and we make some actual empirical observations, we are ALL just pretending to know.

Continue...

Go Blue. Always.

Compared to the previous year, yes. For the next 5 years, likely but time will tell. As far as pretending to "know" where Michigan football is at, wouldn't that be more the case if I said definitively Michigan was on the upswing or not? By saying they "seem to be" actually makes your accusation invalid. But I am having fun.

Compared to the previous year, yes. For the next 5 years, likely but time will tell. As far as pretending to "know" where Michigan football is at, wouldn't that be more the case if I said definitively Michigan was on the upswing or not? By saying they "seem to be" actually makes your accusation invalid. But I am having fun.

The upswing is obvious and a fact. One doesn't have to follow Michigan football too closely to see it.

So as I *already* said, you probably DO recognize it, but are loathe to admit it.

Go Blue. Always.

Love this paragraph...Harbaugh is a promoter.

You might think I'm crazy, but ever notice how when Harbaugh does something goofy, there's a camera around to document it? Like when he climbed that tree on a recruiting visit? Or when he had a sleepover at a recruit's house? Or when he went shirtless at a satellite camp last spring?

Now let's be honest here. Dantonio is a mature man with his own style. Do you think he is loved by UM fans? Is Meyer ridiculed by UM fans for his stuff at Florida. Any coaches out there that are loved by their rivals.

Harbaugh could be a perfect human being and respectful and polite on all levels and would still be bashed. The only coaches that are loved by their rivals are the one's that lose.

RM

The upswing is obvious and a fact. One doesn't have to follow Michigan football too closely to see it.

So as I *already* said, you probably DO recognize it, but are loathe to admit it.

Go Blue. Always.

My oh my. My use of the word "seems" really seems to have offended you. Let me ask, do you throw hands if someone in a bar says you seem like a nice guy? Do you walk out of an interview because an executive says you seem like you'll be a good fit? Did you slap your future father in law because he said you seem like a good family man? Or does it just seem like you're trying to put me in my place because you don't understand the use of the word "seems"?

Well I seem to have gone on a tangent. I don't loathe that Michigan is doing better, regardless of what it seems, because I'm not 10 years old.

I think it is hilarious however that if we had this same conversation after the 2011 season you would be bashing me there as well. I remember many of your posts after that season. Now however, I see some claiming that the 2011Michigan team wasn't on the upswing at all, were actually lucky to win, beat a horrible team in the bowl game, and wasn't all that talented. It seems that particular team didn't live up to expectations.

Of course, on January 2, 2012, the Wolverines would have seemed to be on the upswing.

I agree that there will be copy cats. But the reason for Michigan's success this recruiting season is because it's Michigan and they seem to be on the upswing, there should be opportunity for these highly rated recruits to play earlier than at some of the other programs, and Harbaugh's success as a coach.

Put it this way- climbing trees, having sleep overs, and Signing Day parties won't help Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, or Rutgers in their recruiting. Having satellite camps in the SEC footprint would and for that I give Harbaugh huge credit.

And for the record, here's my post that has made so many Michigan fans mad. It hardly seems like I'm loathing Michigan's success, or Harbaugh for that matter.

I can't speak for anyone else and have been wrong on many occasions but I thought UM was very lucky to 11-2 after that season. I thought UM was on the upswing but UM had wins against ND and Va Tech that probably should have wound up in losses.

I remember a few people claiming that UM was fortunate after that 11-2 season and the poster makes a valid point that the next year UM had some less than fortunate luck with DRob going down.

Look....Hoke was going to fail. He was going to fail at UM or OSU or Alabama. Why? Because his incompetence knew no bounds. Harbaugh is the opposite so the optimism is grounded in reality....man :)

RM

In regards to your post...that the success of the recruiting comes primarily from playing time and/or being Michigan is applicable anywhere including OSU.

Your post was more than reasonable.

RM

One last thing Klemman...I agree with you for the most part. I think his 'antics' come off as goofy and beneath UM.

That being said...there is some value to what he does but whether there is a net gain or loss can't be determined. Harbaugh like Carroll tries to 'relate' to young people and they see a fun loving guy. To a mature 50 year old person (I am 50 but not necessarily mature)...it comes off as eccentric at best.

Bo hated recruiting at the end of his career. It's the life blood of college football and until Harbaugh starts (if) winning like Saban...he has to bring something unique to the show. Michigan was a tier 2 Big Ten program before Harbaugh arrived. Hard to believe but true. We were a laughing stock in our own state. We weren't even competitive with better programs in the Big Ten (consistently) for a long long time. RR then Hoke...back to back.

We weren't just losing...we were getting killed by our rivals. Wasn't like we went 8-4 and would beat MSU or OSU every other year that fans could hang their hat on something. Harbaugh has immediately infused optimism into the fan base which is why everyone is on board with whatever kind of antics he wants to show the nation.

I expect you will see less of this in a couple of years. Did you hear the story about Harbaugh dressing up in gear when he was with the 49er's and playing football? Sounds like Harbaugh trying to get a message across about the love of the game. Harbaugh is trying to get the attention of recruits everywhere to give him a chance.

UM is in a mediocre football state right next to a state that produces great football prospects and go to the dominant football program in the Midwest. You think Harbaugh doesn't get 'it' and decided to work the media to draw attention to his program. I think in all honesty you see UM as people saw in 2005 and not 2015.

RM

Schrodinger's Wolverines. They will either be better in 2016 vs. 2015, or they will not.

But until the box gets opened in 203 days and we make some actual empirical observations, we are ALL just pretending to know.
My oh my. My use of the word "seems" really seems to have offended you. Let me ask, do you throw hands if someone in a bar says you seem like a nice guy? Do you walk out of an interview because an executive says you seem like you'll be a good fit? Did you slap your future father in law because he said you seem like a good family man? Or does it just seem like you're trying to put me in my place because you don't understand the use of the word "seems"?

Well I seem to have gone on a tangent. I don't loathe that Michigan is doing better, regardless of what it seems, because I'm not 10 years old.

I think it is hilarious however that if we had this same conversation after the 2011 season you would be bashing me there as well. I remember many of your posts after that season. Now however, I see some claiming that the 2011Michigan team wasn't on the upswing at all, were actually lucky to win, beat a horrible team in the bowl game, and wasn't all that talented. It seems that particular team didn't live up to expectations.

Of course, on January 2, 2012, the Wolverines would have seemed to be on the upswing.

You don't recall posts of that time on this board saying the win over Virginia Tech was ugly?

I do. It was too ugly to be called otherwise.

I didn't say Virginia Tech was horrible, you just did, lol. But I did say that school has never won anything and the victory over them in the Sugar was ugly, because it was.

More to the point, I just understand there to be far too many differences between Michigan 2016 and Michigan 2012 to allow 2012 much relevance when forecasting Michigan's fortunes going forward.

Apples to oranges...

Of even less significance would be how people here felt about the team in 2012.

How 2012 posts tie in to what Michigan is actually doing these days, how it is winning and how it will do in the future is unclear to me. Are you suggesting history is about to repeat itself 2015 to 2016 will be 2011 to 2012?

The differences between Michigan 2012 and Michigan 2016 are night and day (in a very real and positive sense).

And that's where things are at.

Go Blue. Always.

You don't recall posts of that time on this board saying the win over Virginia Tech was ugly?

I do. It was too ugly to be called otherwise.

I didn't say Virginia Tech was horrible, you just did, lol. But I did say that school has never won anything and the victory over them in the Sugar was ugly, because it was.

More to the point, I just understand there to be far too many differences between Michigan 2016 and Michigan 2012 to allow 2012 much relevance when forecasting Michigan's fortunes going forward.

Apples to oranges...

Of even less significance would be how people here felt about the team in 2012.

How 2012 posts tie in to what Michigan is actually doing these days, how it is winning and how it will do in the future is unclear to me. Are you suggesting history is about to repeat itself 2015 to 2016 will be 2011 to 2012?

The differences between Michigan 2012 and Michigan 2016 are night and day (in a very real and positive sense).

And that's where things are at.

Go Blue. Always.

Just remember. He is trying to find any argument he can to support what he HOPES to see. It's rather comical, honestly

Just remember. He is trying to find any argument he can to support what he HOPES to see. It's rather comical, honestly

Well, Harbaugh has sure shaken things up. It's all good.

Now he has the SEC seriously extolling the virtues of free time with expressed concern over how students spend their spring break.

And here I thought the problem in some parts of SEC country was that students had far too much free time.

The times they are a-changin'...

Go Blue. Always.

Yes, the Harbaugh antics didn't effect the current recruiting class. As I said, if a recruit likes Michigan for the more tangible reasons, it won't have an effect. For those who have no interest in Michigan, it makes no difference. The impact will be in the guys on the fence. My questions are whether those antics more likely to make a prospect say, yes, I'll go to Michigan because Harbaugh climbs trees and has sleep overs, or less? Or no impact at all, which the makes the practice questionable.

Is Harbaugh trying to play the "cool" card ala Pete Carroll? Maybe, but for Carroll it was natural and for Harbaugh it seems- sorry, looks a bit forced.

And once again, to those who seemed (damn, there's that word again) to feel that I am somehow determined to show that the Harbaugh regime is destined to follow the results of the Hoke years, you couldn't be more wrong.

I agree that 2015 was an upswing from the last several years. I think it seems, is likely, is probable that the upswing will continue going forward. You are insistent that the upswing for the future has already occurred which it can't- because that would be the future. My version is technically correct. But please entertain me on how I am wrong and unreasonable.

Oh and the debate regarding the 2012 team. That Was due to a response to Blue_notes statement that last year's Michigan team outperformed all others dating back to 2007. I said that the 2012 team out performed last year's team. I based that on W/L record and Bowl game.

I didn't say the 2012 team was better, more talented, or was destined to a better future. It was just a side comment in response to something said.

But some of you guys can't take an OSU fan saying anything, even something reasonable or complimentary. You try so hard to twist things around and find reasons to insult me.

So I keep coming back because I'm having a lot of fun watching your attempts.

Well, looks like you finally realize, after several posts, that 5-7 to 10-3 IS an upswing.

What's happening with Michigan Football goes beyond the W-L record, well beyond, but.. .

Even though it took a helluva lot longer than it should, those attempts appear to have paid off.

We all had fun, and are reasonably happy, maybe even a bit relieved, to see the light come on for you.

Go Blue. Always.

Nice try Blu_note. My stand has always been the same, you just are more intent on proving me wrong without paying attention to what I'm actually saying. Or more likely, because you can't prove me wrong, you try to change the contest in mid-stream because you know you can't win. I like How you comb over my statements ignoring all the undeniable points and nit picking on the basis of semantics.

This discussion started in regards to why recruits would choose Michigan. There's no denying that the Wolverines are on the upswing comparing 2015 to 2013, just like there's no denying Michigan was on the upswing from 2010 to 2011.

The recruits however, are concerned about 2016-2018. Once again, you can't say that Michigan is on the upswing for those years because they haven't happened yet. You can say however, they seem to be on the upswing.

Keep throwing Hail Marys. Maybe you'll get lucky and make a valid point yet.

Nice try Blu_note. My stand has always been the same, you just are more intent on proving me wrong without paying attention to what I'm actually saying. Or more likely, because you can't prove me wrong, you try to change the contest in mid-stream because you know you can't win. I like How you comb over my statements ignoring all the undeniable points and nit picking on the basis of semantics.

This discussion started in regards to why recruits would choose Michigan. There's no denying that the Wolverines are on the upswing comparing 2015 to 2013, just like there's no denying Michigan was on the upswing from 2010 to 2011.

The recruits however, are concerned about 2016-2018. Once again, you can't say that Michigan is on the upswing for those years because they haven't happened yet. You can say however, they seem to be on the upswing.

Keep throwing Hail Marys. Maybe you'll get lucky and make a valid point yet.

-- --

LOL!!! Ok...

-- --

Recruits are concerned about 2016-18. I think they're concerned about a lot of things, but...

What are they concerned about, exactly?

Go Blue. Always

-- --

LOL!!! Ok...

-- --

Recruits are concerned about 2016-18. I think they're concerned about a lot of things, but...

What are they concerned about, exactly?

Go Blue. Always

Just like Aoi, that's it? Your guys latest attempt is the equivalent of handing the ball off on 3rd and twenty. A throw away play.

Good lord!! All this thread is filled with is a bunch of back-tracking and mis-direction. Sounds just like many buck fans predictions before the start of the season for Michigan.

Good lord!! All this thread is filled with is a bunch of back-tracking and mis-direction. Sounds just like many buck fans predictions before the start of the season for Michigan.

He brought nothing and has got nothing.

He thinks all the publicity Harbaugh generates is going to hurt Michigan recruiting, maybe like it did this year with the No. 4 class and the No. 1 player in the country. Still, we should be concerned, even though his point makes precious little sense to any rational person.

He's mumbling about recruits "on the fence" maybe going somewhere else because of all the pub.

There's no evidence to support his belief, and I doubt there ever will be. There are just too many other reasons a kid might, or might not, pick Michigan. Harbaugh's publicity as a deciding factor? Laughable.

This is why it's best to take Klemman's apparent concern with anything but a grain of salt.

Go Blue. Always.

Blue Note and friends, I never said that the Harbaugh antics would primarily hurt Harbaugh's recruiting or that it would be "The only" deciding factor on recruits. You keep changing what I say because you don't have a valid argument to counter it.

I said the antics really don't impact anything (which is why it is not "marketing genius" as stated in the OP). Therefore, outside of entertaining it isn't really worthwhile. That was the main point. Secondly the only recruits it "may" impact, are the guys on the fence where everything else is equal. At that point it's not about the quality of the program or the opportunity to play, it's about personal fit and personalities. We could have avoided this whole thread if you weren't so intent on disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

I stand by what I originally said. "The satellite stuff is great, the antics mean little and if anything may be a turnoff for some, the recruits who choose Michigan are doing so for the playing time opportiunity, the program itself, Harbaugh's success as a coach, and that Michigan seems to be on the upswing." The last point being the one that seems to have offended you the most.

If you are arguing for the sake of arguing, this has been fun but I'm getting bored. If you really are thin skinned enough to feel my views on this subject are a flame, there's not much more I can say. Either way, I'm sure we'll be meeting in future threads where you will feel compelled to throw out insults in place of valid points, and change the debate because you can't compete on the issues at hand.

I'll let this be my last comment and you can bash me with the last word. Take care.

Michigan is on the upswing and beating Florida as bad as they did in the bowl game gives them a tremendous amount of momentum into 2016. Michigan gained their national respect back this year after losing it from the 2007 App State loss through RR and Brady Hoke. I call 2007 (Carr's final year) through 2014, the dark years in Michigan football history. 7 years of miserable leadership from the President, AD, Boosters, coaches, etc on down). Its over now with Harbaugh. I loved that Michigan went 11-2 in 2011 but I never felt that team was all that good and I knew that Hoke's coaching the following year was a disaster for Michigan once again. I did not like it when he was hired. UM was too big a program for him and his win loss record said it all. I knew that Jim Harbaugh would probably be the only coach who could ever save the program from obscurity and his hiring was a perfect storm of events. Michigan will not slide back under Harbaugh and the 2016 is a loaded with experience veteran team. There are holes to fill though most notably the QB position. Will O'Korn be able to lead and grow as the leader as Ruddock did? We will see. Also, breaking in a new DC will take some time. He is new and new to Michigan's environment which is a must for any coach there. If Michigan does not have any injuries this upcoming season then they will certainly be in the mix for a conference title and possibly the playoffs. Lots of IF's right now though.

The publicity in the overall, is great. You can try to deny it, but no one will be buying it.

You don't read well. I said the small stuff is just fat for onlookers to chew on, and it appears you are chewing the fat. So your main point was adequately addressed eons ago.

No one believes the "antics" to be anything other than Jim having a great time coaching Michigan.

Is it worthwhile? Hey, the coach is having a blast and the media hangs on everything he does. If he's having fun, and not hurting anyone, then of course it's worthwhile. Maybe not for you, but...

I haven't "kept changing" anything.

When challenged, you haven't had anything to say other than we're insulting you. Playing dodge ball and the victim card.

You did say the pub could have an adverse effect on recruits sitting on the fence, and I'm sorry, but I think it's a laughable conclusion, given far more serious factors that are always in play.

That would be like me saying recruits might pass on Ohio State because Urban has had health issues and might again.

How would we ever know that is the reason, if indeed, it would ever be the deciding reason?

Back to the OP, there are undeniable flashes of marketing genius from Harbaugh, as the satellite camps and SOTS would attest.

Go Blue. Always.

The publicity in the overall, is great. You can try to deny it, but no one will be buying it.

You don't read well. I said the small stuff is just fat for onlookers to chew on, and it appears you are chewing the fat. So your main point was adequately addressed eons ago.

No one believes the "antics" to be anything other than Jim having a great time coaching Michigan.

Is it worthwhile? Hey, the coach is having a blast and the media hangs on everything he does. If he's having fun, and not hurting anyone, then of course it's worthwhile. Maybe not for you, but...

I haven't "kept changing" anything.

When challenged, you haven't had anything to say other than we're insulting you. Playing dodge ball and the victim card.

You did say the pub could have an adverse effect on recruits sitting on the fence, and I'm sorry, but I think it's a laughable conclusion, given far more serious factors that are always in play.

That would be like me saying recruits might pass on Ohio State because Urban has had health issues and might again.

How would we ever know that is the reason, if indeed, it would ever be the deciding reason?

Back to the OP, there are undeniable flashes of marketing genius from Harbaugh, as the satellite camps and SOTS would attest.

Go Blue. Always.
His mastery of new media will continue to grow a competitive advantage for recruiting and exposure for his team. The field general has mastered the art of keeping the media spotlight on this team for 14 months and counting. Just add to that increasingly winning games and the sky is the limit.

His mastery of new media will continue to grow a competitive advantage for recruiting and exposure for his team. The field general has mastered the art of keeping the media spotlight on this team for 14 months and counting. Just add to that increasingly winning games and the sky is the limit.

And he's having fun. I don't harbour fears of him leaving for the NFL - think he is here for the long term - but it's still important/great to see him enjoying his work. It IS work and he compounds the standard CFB coach's workload by refusing to be out-worked by anybody.

Your last sentence is key. There is a point where he just might not have to work as hard - the program isn't there yet by any means - but he'll probably still go full throttle anyway. Bodes well.

Go Blue. Always.

Reactions: detroitjohn
Hadn't seen this posted anywhere else, but thought I'd share it here.

Great look at Harbaugh, and everything he's done since he come back on Fox Sports...

Writer calls him "not only a great coach, but a marketing genius" and dives into the Signing Day ceremony and everything else Harbaugh has done. Definitely worth a read:

Harbaugh isn't just a great coach, but a marketing genius
Thanks, I enjoyed. It's so obvious that the guy is smart and to h ave a guy that can coach while building a program and enforcing the publicity of the college makes him one of the lowest paid hc in cf.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT