ADVERTISEMENT

Great, GREAT read on Harbaugh from Fox Spots

I give Harbaugh credit for effort, but marketing genius? He is definitely throwing as much as he can against the wall to see what sticks, but as is typical with such a strategy, it's hit or miss.

The satellite camps- that was genius. In your face Outside the box football thinking that plays to Harbaugh's strengths.

Climbing trees, sleep overs, shirtless pictures on social media- While it garnishes attention it hurts as much as it helps. If you already like him, the actions come off as slightly embarrassing but endearing. If you don't like him it comes off as weird. If you are on the fence, the risk is it comes off as trying too hard.

The Signing Day Party- it will get media attention. The question is how Harbaugh will come off looking in such an environment. I'm guessing that being the Star focus in such a atmosphere isn't Harbaugh's strength. While some of the guests will come off looking cool, Harbaugh risks looking out of place and awkward.

I think the Michigan brand and Harbaugh's football reputation doesn't need a circus for attention. In the end it may hurt as much as help.

Reactions: Jtrader
I give Harbaugh credit for effort, but marketing genius? He is definitely throwing as much as he can against the wall to see what sticks, but as is typical with such a strategy, it's hit or miss.

The satellite camps- that was genius. In your face Outside the box football thinking that plays to Harbaugh's strengths.

Climbing trees, sleep overs, shirtless pictures on social media- While it garnishes attention it hurts as much as it helps. If you already like him, the actions come off as slightly embarrassing but endearing. If you don't like him it comes off as weird. If you are on the fence, the risk is it comes off as trying too hard.

The Signing Day Party- it will get media attention. The question is how Harbaugh will come off looking in such an environment. I'm guessing that being the Star focus in such a atmosphere isn't Harbaugh's strength. While some of the guests will come off looking cool, Harbaugh risks looking out of place and awkward.

I think the Michigan brand and Harbaugh's football reputation doesn't need a circus for attention. In the end it may hurt as much as help.

It's probably alot better then a team hoisting an ex-coach on their shoulders in celebration after he put them on probation for cheating. Guess it works
in Columbus.

It doesn't matter what you or I think - it's the recruits' reaction that matters.

They seem to like the antics - or at least they're not rolling their eyes. It's the energy Harbaugh brings that recruits are are paying attention to. When you have 15 coaches in your ear telling you the same damn thing, and here come's Harbaugh climbing a tree, or wanting a sleep over, or referring to some rap artist's album as "a real toe tapper" - who do you think made an impression?

He's differentiating himself from the competition - and everyone notices.

Bottom line is if you win then these type of things are cool. If you don't win then these type of things are gimmicks or just foolish.

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
It's probably alot better then a team hoisting an ex-coach on their shoulders in celebration after he put them on probation for cheating. Guess it works
in Columbus.

Oh good one. I give a reasonable post and this is the best you can do?

It doesn't matter what you or I think - it's the recruits' reaction that matters.

They seem to like the antics - or at least they're not rolling their eyes. It's the energy Harbaugh brings that recruits are are paying attention to. When you have 15 coaches in your ear telling you the same damn thing, and here come's Harbaugh climbing a tree, or wanting a sleep over, or referring to some rap artist's album as "a real toe tapper" - who do you think made an impression?

He's differentiating himself from the competition - and everyone notices.

I like that you automatically assume that my post is a flame. Did you notice the compliments I gave regarding Harbaugh and the program? Or do you just do a self edit Looking for things to counter my points?

My question is, does Harbaugh really need to climb a tree or talk about toe tapping to differentiate himself? To gain a prospect's attention? I think when Saban, Meyer, Stoops, or Harbaugh (without the extras) walks into a highschool players home, it makes an impression.

If a player already likes Michigan because of the program or school, or Harbaugh because of what he did at Stanford or the NFL, the antics won't hurt. If they are undecided or currently favoring one of the other top tier programs, it probably doesn't help and potentially can do more harm than good.

I like that you automatically assume that my post is a flame. Did you notice the compliments I gave regarding Harbaugh and the program? Or do you just do a self edit Looking for things to counter my points?

My question is, does Harbaugh really need to climb a tree or talk about toe tapping to differentiate himself? To gain a prospect's attention? I think when Saban, Meyer, Stoops, or Harbaugh (without the extras) walks into a highschool players home, it makes an impression.

If a player already likes Michigan because of the program or school, or Harbaugh because of what he did at Stanford or the NFL, the antics won't hurt. If they are undecided or currently favoring one of the other top tier programs, it probably doesn't help and potentially can do more harm than good.
How did I say your post was a flame? Did you want me to say "By golly, you're the best non Michigan fan I ever did see!"?

Nah. It wasn't a flame. It was a counter, which you took as a flame because if someone here doesn't agree with you, they must be out to flame you.

You asked a question and I answered.

Let me try again. Harbaugh doesn't give a shit what you think or what I think. Period.

So far we are the destination for the number one recruit in the country. How much harm has Harbaugh done? If recruits felt the same as you do, then we wouldn't have any. That's a pretty fair statement.

Besides, if you actually believed what you typed, you should be tickled pink with his methods.

Does Harbaugh have to do what he does? No. Of course not. He does it because he wants to. That's our Jim - no sad pizza for our boy.

Reactions: Draidan14
How did I say your post was a flame? Did you want me to say "By golly, you're the best non Michigan fan I ever did see!"?

Nah. It wasn't a flame. It was a counter, which you took as a flame because if someone here doesn't agree with you, they must be out to flame you.

You asked a question and I answered.

Let me try again. Harbaugh doesn't give a shit what you think or what I think. Period.

So far we are the destination for the number one recruit in the country. How much harm has Harbaugh done? If recruits felt the same as you do, then we wouldn't have any. That's a pretty fair statement.

Besides, if you actually believed what you typed, you should be tickled pink with his methods.

Does Harbaugh have to do what he does? No. Of course not. He does it because he wants to. That's our Jim - no sad pizza for our boy.

Well aoi, when you start your "counter" with "It doesn't matter what you think..." It certainly can come off as an insult. And as to your point that just because someone doesn't agree with me me they must be out to flame on me... Just refer to Detroit Rock City above.

Now in response to Harbaugh not caring what I think, of course he doesn't. This is a fan message board. No coach cares about what any of us think.

Regarding the number one recruit in the country going to UM, I think he does. But as I originally stated, it has more to do with the potential of the program, his respect for Harbaugh as a coach, the kids he know who are going there, and his highschool coach being on staff. Not because Harbaugh is entertaining. Again as I previously stated, if a player wants to go there then the antics will be considered amusing.if they don't it doesn't matter, and if they are on the fence, that is where it may harm the potential of a player committing.

Harbaugh's antics does get attention, but the original statement in this thread was that he is a marketing genius.the two don't necessarily equate. Because Michigan doesn't need the attention in that way, I think it is a unnecessary risk.

And out of respect I'll respond to your last few comments. Yes, I am tickled pink about Harbaugh's eccentricities. In the long run I think it's to Urban Meyer's advantage. I like your final attempt to insult with the pizza boy comment as well. Didn't Meyer beat Michigan that year? And didn't the coach with the "sad pizza" win the National Championship the following year? It's like making fun of the rich guy because he has so much money or the hot girl because everyone wants her. Nice try but it's a fail. LOL.

Look at the Michigan-Indiana basketball game tonight. Leyland, Shanahan, all three Harbaughs, Denard Robinson, etc. in the stands on national TV in Ann Arbor. Pretty damn good marketing, I would say.

Now if the bball team could start scoring again, HA!

Look at the Michigan-Indiana basketball game tonight. Leyland, Shanahan, all three Harbaughs, Denard Robinson, etc. in the stands on national TV in Ann Arbor. Pretty damn good marketing, I would say.

Now if the bball team could start scoring again, HA!
At this point I'd be satisfied if Doyle or Dawkins would waylay Crean out on the court. Can not stand that dork.

Unfortunately, so far looking like the worst game of the season. Bad timing. Embarrassing first half.

If it wins Michigan a national title by 2018 it was productive. If it doesn't, then all of this was just another series of gimmicks falling short. I get why Michigan fans are excited, it is probably the best 13 months of Michigan football this century and it has to be a relief to feel like the momentum is finally moving in the right direction.

I also suspect there will be a ton of copycats out there trying and falling short of the original. That will be even more entertaining. Brian Kelly is already falling flat on his purple face.

As a rival that is about the closest thing to praise I can give his approach. We'll see, perhaps it all translates into titles, if so then bully to him. If not then you can always fall back on the argument that he made the program respectable again.

Jesus Christ, did you not pick up on the "or what I think." part of that? Or did butthurt take effect before you could get that far?

I bet your a blast personally. Aoi, calm down. It's just a discussion on a message board. For someone who accuses me of feeling everyone is against me, you take it to another level. At least I am a bit paranoid I enemy territory. I've read your comments back and forth with other Michigan fanS. You're that way on your home turf.

If it wins Michigan a national title by 2018 it was productive. If it doesn't, then all of this was just another series of gimmicks falling short. I get why Michigan fans are excited, it is probably the best 13 months of Michigan football this century and it has to be a relief to feel like the momentum is finally moving in the right direction.

I also suspect there will be a ton of copycats out there trying and falling short of the original. That will be even more entertaining. Brian Kelly is already falling flat on his purple face.

As a rival that is about the closest thing to praise I can give his approach. We'll see, perhaps it all translates into titles, if so then bully to him. If not then you can always fall back on the argument that he made the program respectable again.

I agree that there will be copy cats. But the reason for Michigan's success this recruiting season is because it's Michigan and they seem to be on the upswing, there should be opportunity for these highly rated recruits to play earlier than at some of the other programs, and Harbaugh's success as a coach.

Put it this way- climbing trees, having sleep overs, and Signing Day parties won't help Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, or Rutgers in their recruiting. Having satellite camps in the SEC footprint would and for that I give Harbaugh huge credit.

I bet your a blast personally. Aoi, calm down. It's just a discussion on a message board. For someone who accuses me of feeling everyone is against me, you take it to another level. At least I am a bit paranoid I enemy territory. I've read your comments back and forth with other Michigan fanS. You're that way on your home turf.
Okay. Fine. I admit it. I think you're a dick wrapped up in a passive-aggressive package, with your "Golly gee fellas, I was just trying to have a conversation." bullshit that you love to play here.

Enjoy signing day. Hopefully somewhere else.

Haha. I do admit you are entertaining Aoi. I am just trying to have conversations and I do come to the conversations with an OSU bias. I've always admitted that. While I sometimes counter what is on this board, I sometimes question things, you'll be hard pressed to find me bashing your program or coach.

But when you resort to having to throw insult upon insult on me to "man" you up... Let's just say that it makes my day.

Nice recruiting class though.

"Genius" is definitely a bit much considering where the class is in the rankings and the enormous amount of bad publicity that came from the Swenson situation.

Reactions: Knuckles101
Like some cheese to go along with your fine whine?

Just as you have the right to claim he is a genius for producing the 7th ranked recruiting class at one of the few truly elite schools in the country I have a right to disagree.
I forgot how insufferable Wal-Mart Wolverines like you have made this board. Thanks for reminding me. Carry on with making a fool of yourself.

Last edited:
Just as you have the right to claim he is a genius for producing the 7th ranked recruiting class at one of the few truly elite schools in the country I have a right to disagree.
I forgot how insufferable Wal-Mart Wolverines like yourself have made this board. Thanks for reminding me. Carry on with making a fool of yourself.
Right Patrick.

Oh, you might want to check the rankings again.

Cheers.

Right Patrick.

Oh, you might want to check the rankings again.

Cheers.

Wow, getting the 5th class at an elite program like Michigan definitely makes him a genius and anyone who doesn't agree is clearly "whining." Good God you are an imbecile.

I am guessing you are a plant from the mods to get people to pay for premium, even most Wal-Mart Wolverines aren't this stupid.

Wow, getting the 5th class at an elite program like Michigan definitely makes him a genius and anyone who doesn't agree is clearly "whining." Good God you are an imbecile.

I am guessing you are a plant from the mods to get people to pay for premium, even most Wal-Mart Wolverines aren't this stupid.
LOL, good one Patrick.

Now shut your dumb pie hole

I forgot how insufferable Wal-Mart Wolverines like you have made this board. Thanks for reminding me. Carry on with making a fool of yourself.
"Walmart Wolverine" is the aspersion of an unprincipled coward that cannot find anything to actually say in reply as is putting your "graduation date" into your moniker. Who gives a damn what your pedigree is? What is it with alumni leading with their degree status as though that alone has brought them wisdom or insight into college football? A UM fan doesn't talk that way, which makes me think you're neither a fan or an alumnus. And who gives a damn what you think of our board? I haven't seen you post here, we don't even know you.

I agree that there will be copy cats. But the reason for Michigan's success this recruiting season is because it's Michigan and they seem to be on the upswing, there should be opportunity for these highly rated recruits to play earlier than at some of the other programs, and Harbaugh's success as a coach.

Put it this way- climbing trees, having sleep overs, and Signing Day parties won't help Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, or Rutgers in their recruiting. Having satellite camps in the SEC footprint would and for that I give Harbaugh huge credit.

Seem to be on the upswing?

Michigan IS on the upswing.

I'd say this past year's Michigan team outperformed all others dating back to 2007.

The math is clear enough, if the play on the field isn't telling enough.

The current recruiting class is better than any during that same stretch as well.

The profile is high. Most of the pub is good, some of it is not so good.

But at least now the all-caring, all the time public know what the recruits themselves already knew: no entitlement, no spot "held" regardless.

No one walked in blind or in a cocoon. The onlookers knew nothing, but that didn't stop them from posturing and judging. That is nothing new. The supposed bad pub was really a good opportunity to clear the air and Harbaugh seemed to be pretty clear with how recruiting is going to go under his watch. Harbaugh took logical advantage of said opportunity.

Sleepovers and shirtless photos won't bring in recruits, logic says, but there's also nothing to indicate it is some kind of detrimental element. Only suppositions of the all-knowing - but not really knowing - public.

It's just fat for the onlookers to chew on, or not.

Michigan has always been Michigan. That hardly meant that maintaining the status quo was the optimum way to go.

In fact that ho-hum "we're Michigan" same ol', same ol' was the very culprit that unplugged the program's power supply. By being complacent, there was no winning, and with no winning there was a damaged rep. With a damaged rep there was weaker recruiting, and all of this weakness, tangible decline, rested under the shade of the same old oak tree of complacency and belief that history would power the future, not great planning, vision and relentless effort. Same ol' had been tried and it had failed. Clearly and miserably failed.

New coach, new ideas, re-newed definition of "hard work" and the wins are coming back on the field and in recruiting. Each will fuel the other with the new and far superior platform in place.

Better to lose the shirt than lose the games, eh?

Go Blue. Always.

Last edited:
Sorry about the use of the word "seems". I would say that the 2011 seemed, oops sorry, out performed this season's Michigan team. I would say that team under Hoke by my definition seemed to be on the upswing, and by your definition Blue_note was on the upswing.

But hey, it's semantics and who cares about semantics in a message board? Lol. I'll go along that as of right now, the Wolverine program is on the upswing.

I do agree with you that Michigan can't go with the ho hum we're Michigan attitude and expect to be elite at the national level. It's why I keep saying Harbaugh's efforts to get his coaches in front of prospects through satellite camps and road trip Spring Pactices is fantastic. I don't have a problem like some haters about the players whose scholarships were rescinded. It might have been problematic for those players, but Harbaugh's responsibility is for the program.

Regarding the tree climbing and sleepovers. I stand by my original comments and agree with yours that it won't bring in any recruits, so why do it? It won't bring in the prospects who don't want to go to AA, but there is a roll of the dice that it could work against Harbaugh for on the fence guys. That's the risk.

listening to the talking heads post LOI day, there was one argument that does make some sense. But none of you guys have hit it yet.

Do you feel superior now? Taking a phrase that MSU fans came up with and using it against a fellow Michigan an is pretty pathetic. I have never understood why MSU fans care whether or not Michigan fans are alumni or not, but I really can't fathom a Michigan fan with your attitude. Maybe you just think alliteration is clever?

Sorry about the use of the word "seems". I would say that the 2011 seemed, oops sorry, out performed this season's Michigan team. I would say that team under Hoke by my definition seemed to be on the upswing, and by your definition Blue_note was on the upswing.

But hey, it's semantics and who cares about semantics in a message board? Lol. I'll go along that as of right now, the Wolverine program is on the upswing.

I do agree with you that Michigan can't go with the ho hum we're Michigan attitude and expect to be elite at the national level. It's why I keep saying Harbaugh's efforts to get his coaches in front of prospects through satellite camps and road trip Spring Pactices is fantastic. I don't have a problem like some haters about the players whose scholarships were rescinded. It might have been problematic for those players, but Harbaugh's responsibility is for the program.

Regarding the tree climbing and sleepovers. I stand by my original comments and agree with yours that it won't bring in any recruits, so why do it? It won't bring in the prospects who don't want to go to AA, but there is a roll of the dice that it could work against Harbaugh for on the fence guys. That's the risk.

listening to the talking heads post LOI day, there was one argument that does make some sense. But none of you guys have hit it yet.

- - -

You didn't watch that 2011 team too closely obviously, but it's fun to watch you post as if you did.

Did that team post three straight shutouts? Did it win its bowl game handily?
Was it supremely lucky in four of the reg season wins?

Answers are: no, no and yes.

So it isn't semantics, it's a Buckeye looking at 11-2 and suggesting that team was better than 2015 Michigan.

Can't expect you to know the difference but pretending you do is just weird.

Anyway, we are compelled by the math I suppose, to allow the 2016 results, stacked against 2012, settle that debate.

The No. 4 class suggests whatever negatives are floated about, their impact is minimal. Several commits - and non-commits - said Michigan is on the upswing. They must see what I and so many others see.

I suspect you see it too, but are loathe to admit it. This is quite common among rival posters, and understandable.

Tree-climbing and sleepovers, lol, worry the onlookers like yourself more than the players.

Have you any evidence to the contrary? It appears the extra attention Harbaugh gets just rankles you a bit.

That's...o-k, I can easily understand the amount of press Harbaugh gets grating on the nerves of rivals.

Go Blue. Always.

Last edited:
Reactions: Draidan14
Ha. Funny how that 2011 team which you guys were all fired up about has become a team that wasn't something to get excited about. It was a team that was 11-2 and won a BCS Bowl, end of story. So this year's recruiting class rank "proves" the upswing. The 2011 class was ranked 21 by Rivals, 2012 ranked 7, and 2013 ranked 5. So was Michigan on an upswing, or did it only seem like they were on an upswing? Pretty cool how that works out, huh?

You are so intent in trying to "prove the Buckeye" wrong, You end up chasing your own tail. Once again, I said Michigan seems to be on the upswing. Your paranoia comes through when you consider that an insult.

I say there's reasons for Harbaugh to recruit well. And the results proved it. The climbing tress and other antics; I'm just saying Harbaugh doesn't need it. Seems to me as a Michigan fan you would say the same. Doesn't worry me. I'm glad he does it.

Ha. Funny how that 2011 team which you guys were all fired up about has become a team that wasn't something to get excited about. It was a team that was 11-2 and won a BCS Bowl, end of story. So this year's recruiting class rank "proves" the upswing. The 2011 class was ranked 21 by Rivals, 2012 ranked 7, and 2013 ranked 5. So was Michigan on an upswing, or did it only seem like they were on an upswing? Pretty cool how that works out, huh?

You are so intent in trying to "prove the Buckeye" wrong, You end up chasing your own tail. Once again, I said Michigan seems to be on the upswing. Your paranoia comes through when you consider that an insult.

I say there's reasons for Harbaugh to recruit well. And the results proved it. The climbing tress and other antics; I'm just saying Harbaugh doesn't need it. Seems to me as a Michigan fan you would say the same. Doesn't worry me. I'm glad he does it.
What whistling tune do you favor when going by graveyards?

P

- - -

Taking a fact and trying to have your opinion trump it isn't insulting, you're just being silly.

You don't watch Michigan games, but stare at final scores. Great, but they hardly tell the whole story.

Again, we'll see how 2016 shakes out vs 2012, to verify ( for you ) the upswing is happening and cap the contention (of yours) that it doesn't exist.

I think you're the only one saying Michigan isn't isn't on an upswing, so the contention has your name on it, and yours alone.

You'll have an entire year to try to come up with some spin, though, lol.

"End of story" --- the go to statement of the uninformed.

The big win over...Va. Tech. When has Va. Tech ever won anything?

Did you see the game? It was ugly, like about three or four of the other wins were that year.

Things got uglier after that.

Go Blue. Always.

Glad you have no in put as to JH plans and operations.

P

- - -

Taking a fact and trying to have your opinion trump it isn't insulting, you're just being silly.

You don't watch Michigan games, but stare at final scores. Great, but they hardly tell the whole story.

Again, we'll see how 2016 shakes out vs 2012, to verify ( for you ) the upswing is happening and cap the contention (of yours) that it doesn't exist.

I think you're the only one saying Michigan isn't isn't on an upswing, so the contention has your name on it, and yours alone.

You'll have an entire year to try to come up with some spin, though, lol.

"End of story" --- the go to statement of the uninformed.

The big win over...Va. Tech. When has Va. Tech ever won anything?

Did you see the game? It was ugly, like about three or four of the other wins were that year.

Things got uglier after that.

Go Blue. Always.
That Va Tech game was a disaster on offense and previewed what was to come in the years ahead for Hoke, hopelessly lost offensive schemes. I was embarrassed by the win, it was that bad. UM's line was overwhelmed and their offense was Robinson running for his life and heaving prayers into the endzone.

The two main hiccups from this year was the slide defensively vs. IU and the second half vs OSU. The IU defense issues were mostly scheme and injury issues, IMHO, and the OSU issues were likely simply a team having twice to triple the talent we had.
There is much to be encouraged by for UM fans and we have a hell of a lot of momentum from the bowl and recruiting. 2016 looks to be a very strong year and should catapult us into another strong class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT