ADVERTISEMENT

Yost Post Pick-Em, get in while it's hot....

Puckhead

All-American
Jun 4, 2001
So the bracket is all set. As usual get your picks in before the start of the first game and that is decided by the date/time stamp of your response to this thread. Looks like the first game this year is at the West regional so that is 2 PM Central time which means you will have until 3PM Eastern time (the time on this board) to make your selections.

NOTE: If you see something wrong let me know. I was doing this post and updating the bracket and pick-em pages while also keeping track of the basketball game so my attention was divided.

Make your selections for these games.
1st Round (Each correct pick is worth 1 point)
(MW1) Denver vs (MW4) Michigan Tech
(MW2) Union vs (MW3) Penn State
(NE1) Minnesota vs (NE4) Notre Dame
(NE2) Massachusetts-Lowell vs (NE3) Cornell
(W1) Minnesota-Duluth vs (W4) Ohio State
(W2) Boston U vs (W3) North Dakota
(E1) Harvard vs (E4) Providence
(E2) Western Michigan vs (E3) Air Force

2nd Round (Quarterfinals, each correct pick is worth 2 points)
Winner MW1-MW4 vs Winner MW2-MW3
Winner NE1-NE4 vs Winner NE2-NE3
Winner W1-W4 vs Winner W2-W3
Winner E1-E4 vs Winner E2-E3

3rd Round (Semi-finals, each correct pick is worth 3 points)
Winner MW vs Winner NE
Winner W vs Winner E

4th Round (Finals, a correct pick is worth 4 points)
Winner MW-NE vs Winner W-E
Tie breaker #1: Total goals in the final
Tie breaker #2: Total goes in the frozen four (all three games)

Some additional rules.
You can pick up to 3 games to go to overtime. If you correctly pick an overtime game you will get one bonus point for each correct pick; you don't have to pick the winner of the game correctly to get the bonus point, just that it went to overtime.

Tie breaker points are only awarded if we have a tie between two or more participants after all points are tallied. If we need to go to the tie breakers, the participant who gets closest to the total goals, without going over, gets an extra point. We do tie breaker #1 to see if we get a winner (total goals in final game). If still tied we go to tie breaker #2 (total goals in the Frozen Four). Tie breakers only apply to the participants who are tied at the end of the tournament.

Full set of rules:
http://www.steve.weston.name/FrozenFour/PickEmRules.htm

Direct to the Pick-Em page:
http://www.steve.weston.name/FrozenFour/2017_FrozenFourPicks.htm

Bracket with links to the Pick-Em and other things.
http://www.steve.weston.name/NCAAHockeyTournyMain.htm

Here are all the games, times, and TV.
West Regional, Fargo, N.D.
• Boston University vs. North Dakota, 2 p.m. CDT Friday, ESPN2
• Minnesota Duluth vs. Ohio State, 5:30 p.m. CDT Friday, ESPNU
• Regional championship, 5 p.m. CDT Saturday, ESPNU

East Regional, Providence, R.I.
• Harvard vs. Providence, 4 p.m. EDT Friday, ESPNU
• Western Michigan vs. Air Force, 7:30 p.m. EDT Friday, ESPN3
• Regional championship, 8:30 p.m. EDT Saturday, ESPNU

Midwest Regional, Cincinnati
• Denver vs. Michigan Tech, 1 p.m. EDT Saturday, ESPNews
• Union vs. Penn State, 4:30 p.m. EDT Saturday, ESPN3
• Regional championship, 6 p.m. EDT Sunday, ESPNU

Northeast Regional, Manchester, N.H.
• UMass Lowell vs. Cornell, noon EDT Saturday, ESPN3
• Minnesota vs. Notre Dame, 3:30 p.m. EDT Saturday, ESPNU
• Regional championship, 3:30 p.m. EDT Sunday, ESPNU

Frozen Four, Chicago
• Midwest Regional champion vs. Northeast Regional champion, 5 or 8:30 p.m. CDT, ESPN2
• East Regional champion vs. West Regional champion, 5 or 8:30 p.m. CDT, ESPN2
• National championship, 7 p.m. CDT, ESPN

Last edited:
1st Round (Each correct pick is worth 1 point)
(MW1) Denver vs (MW4) Michigan Tech - DENVER over MTU
(MW2) Union vs (MW3) Penn State - UNION over PSU
(NE1) Minnesota vs (NE4) Notre Dame - UND over Minny (OT)
(NE2) Massachusetts-Lowell vs (NE3) Cornell - UMASS-LOWELL over Cornell
(W1) Minnesota-Duluth vs (W4) Ohio State - MD over the nuts
(W2) Boston U vs (W3) North Dakota - BU over NoDak (OT)
(E1) Harvard vs (E4) Providence - HAHVAD over Prov
(E2) Western Michigan vs (E3) Air Force -0 AFU over Western

2nd Round (Quarterfinals, each correct pick is worth 2 points)
Winner MW1-MW4 vs Winner MW2-MW3 DENVER over Union
Winner NE1-NE4 vs Winner NE2-NE3 - UMASS-LOWELL over UND
Winner W1-W4 vs Winner W2-W3 - DULUTH over BU
Winner E1-E4 vs Winner E2-E3 - HARVARD over AFU

3rd Round (Semi-finals, each correct pick is worth 3 points)
Winner MW vs Winner NE DENVER over UMASS-LOWELL
Winner W vs Winner E - HARVARD over Minny Duluth (OT)

4th Round (Finals, a correct pick is worth 4 points)
Winner MW-NE vs Winner W-E CHAMPS=DENVER
Tie breaker #1: Total goals in the final - TTL finals goals=5
Tie breaker #2: Total goes in the frozen four (all three games) TTL goals in FFour=17

Thanks for doing this and thanks for all the great information!

Denver over Michigan Tech
Union over PSU (OT)

Minnesota over ND
UML over Cornell

Harvard over Providence
WMU over Air Force (OT)

UMD over OSU
N Dakota over BU

Denver over Union
UML over Minnesota
Harvard over WMU (OT)
N. Dakota over UMD

Denver over UML
Harvard over N. Dakota

Denver over Harvard

FF goals: 18
Final goals: 6

Not a lot of entries. Clevelandcane and jz597 I have added yours to the pick-em page, check them for any errors (links in the start of the thread).

Anyone else wants in you can still do it by posting your picks on this thread before 3PM Eastern Time as timestamped by this site (first game is at 2PM central time).

Denver
Union
Notre Dame (ot)
Mass-Lowell
Minnesota - Duluth
North Dakota
Harvard
Western Michigan

Denver
UML
UMD
WMU (ot)

UML over Denver (ot)
UMD over WMU

UML over UMD
7 goals final game
17 goals frozen four

Well the field is set. Maize i have added your picks to the pick-em page, take a look and make sure I have things right.

Here's the link to the page: http://www.steve.weston.name/FrozenFour/2017_FrozenFourPicks.htm

I will do the points for the first round after all of the first round games are done which means tomorrow evening or Sunday morning and then the second round (quarterfinal) points Sunday night when all the games are done (maybe Monday morning, depends on how late they finish).

Small group, a whopping four of us, so this could be the last Pick-Em held. Good luck to all.

Reactions: clevelandcane
I have to toot my own horn now before everything changes. I've picked every game correctly so far and even picked one of the OT games as well. We should stop the contest now.

Reactions: Puckhead
The bracket is fully updated through yesterdays results. the Pick-Em is updated so that each team knocked out is identified and the points are totaled for the first round. I will total up the points for the second round (quarterfinals) after today's last two games are complete.

The links to everything are at the top of the page.

Shoot - missed out this year. I world have picked ND, UMD, Harvard and Denver in the FF.

Well everything is updated through the semi-finals and we have a winner.

One person picked UMass-Lowell to win the tournament and they are out so they can get no more points. The rest of us have Denver so we will either all get points or none of us will get points so the winner is decided no matter the outcome of the final game.

clevelandcane has won this years edition of the Yost Post Pick-Em. Congratulations. Your grand prize for winning the Pick-Em is an atta-boy and you get to lord it over all of us for the next year, regaling us with your prognostication acumen. I would say this is especially true this year because clevelandcane has won two of the last three Pick-Em contents - is it a dynasty?? :) Again, congratulations.

I will update everything one last time after the finals tonight just so we have the final totals.

Didn't play this year was in hospital with Pneumonia , but I watched both semi's and I'll say DENVER 3-2 GBGB"74

Well everything is updated through the semi-finals and we have a winner.

One person picked UMass-Lowell to win the tournament and they are out so they can get no more points. The rest of us have Denver so we will either all get points or none of us will get points so the winner is decided no matter the outcome of the final game.

clevelandcane has won this years edition of the Yost Post Pick-Em. Congratulations. Your grand prize for winning the Pick-Em is an atta-boy and you get to lord it over all of us for the next year, regaling us with your prognostication acumen. I would say this is especially true this year because clevelandcane has won two of the last three Pick-Em contents - is it a dynasty?? :) Again, congratulations.

I will update everything one last time after the finals tonight just so we have the final totals.
Thanks for doing this, man. I have fun posting and reading this board. I'm honored to have won 2/3 years. Honored.

And that's a wrap. Denver has won the National Championship defeating Minnesota-Duluth 3-2.

Everything is updated (links at the top of the page).

Have a good off season everyone, this could be a long one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT